Finally test drive CW Type R - But didn't buy it

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
Despite my boyish dreams, I've never been on a race track and probably never will be. I respect the Type R for what it is (only at $35K, though) - it's reasonably fast, handles very well for a FWD, turns heads, and looks "cool". One thing that turned me off of the Type R really quick (aside from the price gouging) was spending $1,200 on a new set of tires every 10K miles. My crystal ball says that tires are going to be an unpleasant and unplanned surprise for those who will be daily driving their Type R - at least until or unless some all-season tires become available in the Type R's size, but such a tire is counter to the primary purpose of a Type R. If you're going to cripple a high-performance vehicle with an all-season tire, you might as well buy an Si which is exactly what I did - it's 80% as fun on public roads at 50% of the price. If I were to end up with a Type R, it would be an additional vehicle for occasional use and definitely not my daily driver, but I can't being myself to buy a car like a Type R only to have it sit in the garage most of the time. It's just not economical as a daily driver.

tires are not a big of a deal, you can find cheaper ones for 160. Hankook brand. I'm going with 18's and all season performance myself, 30k mile tires. Car will never see the track and on the street I like my limits bit lower. Always ran all season performance on all my cars and they have plenty of grip least for spirited driving.
Sponsored

Plombhpa

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, F150
Country flag
A few months ago a Honda dealer in Southern CA told me that they will have a CW CTR in June and will sell it to me for MSRP + max of $5K in accessories. They called me today and said the car is ready for pick up and texted me a few pics. I brought my check book thinking I will be driving the car home today. Not so fast. After test drove the car on I-5 up to 80 MPH we came back to the office to sign the papers. The price has changed from MSRP + $5K to MSRP + $11K. I looked at the accessories list and the total price is less than $3k so I asked where is the additional $8K came from? The sales guy told me the additional $11K includes accessories plus mandatory "extended warranty". I didn't want to waste anymore time so I told him I will pay up to $5K of accessories and NOT a penny more, and went home. On my way out there was a gentleman standing near my car smiling at me. He spent over 2 hours in the GM's office for the same car before me, and he was not the first one.

I am happy and fortunate that I had the opportunity to test drive the CTR. Now that I have driven the CTR and the Civic SI, I no longer have the craving to buy the CTR at above MSRP. For routine driving on inside streets and on highway up to 80mph, there is very little difference between the type R and the Si for me. The type R is really meant for the people who wants to use it on the race track or on a open and winding road. Otherwise you will be using only half of its potential, which is the SI. For $46K I would rather get the SI for myself and the hatchback for my daughter. If Honda introduces a lower trim of the type R in a few years, then I will get one only if dealers are willing to sell at or below MSRP. I am no longer hunting for a 2107 CTR. In fact I have contacted all the dealers to remove my name from their wait lists, to make room for other 2017 CTR enthusiasts.
Good move.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Get an SI and mod it. Save money. Above MSRP is a frickin joke.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
I am happy and fortunate that I had the opportunity to test drive the CTR. Now that I have driven the CTR and the Civic SI, I no longer have the craving to buy the CTR at above MSRP. For routine driving on inside streets and on highway up to 80mph, there is very little difference between the type R and the Si for me. The type R is really meant for the people who wants to use it on the race track or on a open and winding road. Otherwise you will be using only half of its potential, which is the SI. For $46K I would rather get the SI for myself and the hatchback for my daughter. If Honda introduces a lower trim of the type R in a few years, then I will get one only if dealers are willing to sell at or below MSRP. I am no longer hunting for a 2107 CTR. In fact I have contacted all the dealers to remove my name from their wait lists, to make room for other 2017 CTR enthusiasts.
I've been saying also the same thing here on the forum: wait until that the car gets out and test it before buying. For me personally a drive-test can completely make/break a car purchase. I tested the FK2R like you on highway/city and was not impressed compared to what I drive. Was not enough to make the effort and sign for it.
As you did, this is the best thing to ask yourself when purchasing about anything: does the expense justify for your needs/typical usage?

Last edited:
OP
OP

Honda Marketing

First Name
kimha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type-S
I've been saying also the same thing here on the forum: wait until that the car gets out and test it before buying. For me personally a drive-test can completely make/break a car purchase. I tested the FK2R like you on highway/city and was not impressed compared to what I drive. Was not enough to make the effort and sign for it.
As you did, this is the best thing to ask yourself when purchasing about anything: does the expense justify for your needs/typical usage?
I must agree with your assessment 100%, especially the test drive part. I was going to buy the CTR at MSRP + $5K accessories even if they don't let me test drive it. But after I test drove it, my willingness to pay above MSRP went away. I have driven Nissan ***Z, Toyota Supra turbo, BMW (Z4, M2), Acura NSX, Corvett Stingray, so I have some ideas about fun driving sports car at various price range. I really think the CTR fits perfectly in the $35K range. I have to admit that I did feel uneasy sitting in this car at my age (Turning 40 in a few months). I had spent many months mentally preparing myself NOT to let age get in the way, but when people smile at me while I was driving the car, I did feel a bit awkward.

CHAMPIONSHIPWHITE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CRZ,S2000,CTR,PASSPORT
Country flag
I must agree with your assessment 100%, especially the test drive part. I was going to buy the CTR at MSRP + $5K accessories even if they don't let me test drive it. But after I test drove it, my willingness to pay above MSRP went away. I have driven Nissan ***Z, Toyota Supra turbo, BMW (Z4, M2), Acura NSX, Corvett Stingray, so I have some ideas about fun driving sports car at various price range. I really think the CTR fits perfectly in the $35K range. I have to admit that I did feel uneasy sitting in this car at my age (Turning 40 in a few months). I had spent many months mentally preparing myself NOT to let age get in the way, but when people smile at me while I was driving the car, I did feel a bit awkward.

I understand what you're saying about youre age. You would probably think a kid in their 20's would be driving this car. How many kids in their 20's can even afford this at MSRP?

As long as your happy with it that should be the only thing that matters.

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
You have some nice cars! The benchmark was set too high for Type R I guess. It kind of happened to me experiencing a 718. I realized you can get even more driving enjoyment/other things. So I started seeing FK8 R more critical.
Regarding the age of 40, common... Life's too short to live for the others. I am close - 35 and while I have a profession, responsibilities I feel as detached as I was in high school. :)

OP
OP

Honda Marketing

First Name
kimha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type-S
Despite my boyish dreams, I've never been on a race track and probably never will be. I respect the Type R for what it is (only at $35K, though) - it's reasonably fast, handles very well for a FWD, turns heads, and looks "cool". One thing that turned me off of the Type R really quick (aside from the price gouging) was spending $1,200 on a new set of tires every 10K miles.
These tires only last around 10K miles??? :eek:.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
These tires only last around 10K miles??? :eek:.
That's what the Type R's window sticker warns...

From the 2017 Civic Type R window stickers that appeared today...

"The unique high performance tires on this vehicle are not designed for winter driving. Suitable tires must be installed for driving on ice and snow. The tires on this vehicle will wear more rapidly than normal passenger car tires. Tire life may be less than 10,000 miles, depending on how you drive." :eek:

I guess if you're paying $35K or thousands or even tens of thousands or more for a Honda Civic that has the same horsepower as a Chevrolet Impala rental car, what's a $2,000 set of tires every 6-12 months? Suddenly, I'm glad my Si came with all-seasons. :D

2017-civic-type-r-sticker.jpg

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
You can switch with Michelin PS after. They last longer and offer similar performance. FK2R owners were doing this.
I see that the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tire is priced similarly to the OEM Continental Sport Contact 6 tire (a set will run $1,500-$1,600 installed). The PS4S has a treadwear rating of 300 vs. 240 for the SC6 which implies that if the latter lasts 10,000 miles, then the former may last 12,500 miles. At least the Michelin has a 30,000-miles treadlife warranty - about half that of a typical, all-season tire. The OEM tires have no treadlife warranty. There don't appear to be any choices (at least on Tirerack.com) for all-season tires that fit the Type R's wheels.

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Well yea the type R is a waste of money to be driving legal speeds in. Hell I went to jail driving my s2000 as it should be I don't need a stinking Type-R. I am looking for one or similar car for track use only but more than likely will end up in another s2000

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
I understand what you're saying about youre age. You would probably think a kid in their 20's would be driving this car. How many kids in their 20's can even afford this at MSRP?

As long as your happy with it that should be the only thing that matters.

Saw a gold Bentley SUV in Rowland height with a Chinese teenager in it.

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Hell I'm 42 and I could care less what people think. The funny thing is I get thumbs up from people of all ages. Asking me questions at stop lights, people taking video of it while I'm pumping my gas...I'll never care what people think about me or what I'm driving. Just my 2 cents! Smart move on your part after they tried to jack you around. Thank god my dealer was fair and the great thing was my salesman actually did my finance paperwork, so it was easy and painless:)
Sponsored