fegan

First Name
Forrest
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
When I purchased my Sport Touring Hatchback last month the dealership had a Type R on the lot...I didn't even ask to see it after the salesman told me the bidding started at &11k over MSRP.
Like others in this thread, I would pay MSRP for the Si long before paying MSRP for the Type R, and would never pay over MSRP for either.
The Sport Touring has been a joy to drive daily commuting to work, sporty with great gas mileage...I only wish I got a MT instead of the CVT.
Sponsored

Davey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru STI, 2002 Ford F-150 Lighning, 2011 Honda Pilot
Hell I'm 42 and I could care less what people think. The funny thing is I get thumbs up from people of all ages. Asking me questions at stop lights, people taking video of it while I'm pumping my gas...I'll never care what people think about me or what I'm driving. Just my 2 cents! Smart move on your part after they tried to jack you around. Thank god my dealer was fair and the great thing was my salesman actually did my finance paperwork, so it was easy and painless:)
Truth. How does your work like it that you drive a competitor to their STI....☺

Last edited:

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
A few months ago a Honda dealer in Southern CA told me that they will have a CW CTR in June and will sell it to me for MSRP + max of $5K in accessories. They called me today and said the car is ready for pick up and texted me a few pics. I brought my check book thinking I will be driving the car home today. Not so fast. After test drove the car on I-5 up to 80 MPH we came back to the office to sign the papers. The price has changed from MSRP + $5K to MSRP + $11K. I looked at the accessories list and the total price is less than $3k so I asked where is the additional $8K came from? The sales guy told me the additional $11K includes accessories plus mandatory "extended warranty". I didn't want to waste anymore time so I told him I will pay up to $5K of accessories and NOT a penny more, and went home. On my way out there was a gentleman standing near my car smiling at me. He spent over 2 hours in the GM's office for the same car before me, and he was not the first one.

I am happy and fortunate that I had the opportunity to test drive the CTR. Now that I have driven the CTR and the Civic SI, I no longer have the craving to buy the CTR at above MSRP. For routine driving on inside streets and on highway up to 80mph, there is very little difference between the type R and the Si for me. The type R is really meant for the people who wants to use it on the race track or on a open and winding road. Otherwise you will be using only half of its potential, which is the SI. For $46K I would rather get the SI for myself and the hatchback for my daughter. If Honda introduces a lower trim of the type R in a few years, then I will get one only if dealers are willing to sell at or below MSRP. I am no longer hunting for a 2107 CTR. In fact I have contacted all the dealers to remove my name from their wait lists, to make room for other 2017 CTR enthusiasts.
I'm going out on a limb and saying you were sourcing this car from Norm Reeves Irvine (?). Ironically, I saw a CW CTR there (already purchased) while I was test driving an Si a few weeks back. I'm surprised at just how much fun the Si is. And I share this being an owner of a 270 WHP FWD hatch.

Thinking (hoping) the hype will start to wear off in another 6-9 months.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Honda Marketing

First Name
kimha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type-S
Yes you are correct. That was me at Norm Reeves a few weeks ago checking out that CW CTR. I think it would be very hard for Honda dealers to find buyers willing to pay over MSRP 6 months from now. Most of the buyers willing to pay over MSRP would have been gone by then. Even right at this moment, I have seen many people desperately trying to find one at MSRP, but hardly anyone desperately trying to find one at $10K above MSRP.

When winter comes 6 months from now, how many people would want to buy a CTR at $10K + MSRP and let the car sits in their driveway for months? Even at $5K + MSRP would be a challenge for the dealers to find buyers in the winter time. Honda is not discontinuing the CTR production anytime soon, so I don't understand why some people are so worry that they may not be able to get one. I can't wait to revisit this post 6 months from now posting my CTR at MSRP.

Boostlag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NC2 MX5 (Miata)
Country flag
I think this car is a pretty decent deal for what it is at MSRP. Its a quick and fun car. Also its FWD in the price point where you can get competitors for same price or less. When asking 5k over the car loses its appeal for me. STI will be getting a all new engine in a year and in a couple years I fully expect a all new Focus RS to release giving up more options.

skshrews

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura 2005 TSX, Honda Civic Hatchback LX 6MT 2017
Country flag
" For $46K I would rather get the SI for myself and the hatchback for my daughter. ."

A strangely logical decision.

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Focus RS will not come to the states again must be going to Europe to get one

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
It may be 2 years old but still there won't be anymore focus rs or st

KB3_FK8

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R
Country flag
Despite my boyish dreams, I've never been on a race track and probably never will be. I respect the Type R for what it is (only at $35K, though) - it's reasonably fast, handles very well for a FWD, turns heads, and looks "cool". One thing that turned me off of the Type R really quick (aside from the price gouging) was spending $1,600 on a new set of tires every 10K miles. My crystal ball says that tires are going to be an unpleasant and unplanned surprise for those who will be daily driving their Type R - at least until or unless some all-season tires become available in the Type R's size, but such a tire is counter to the primary purpose of a Type R. If you're going to cripple a high-performance vehicle with an all-season tire, you might as well buy an Si which is exactly what I did - it's 80% as fun on public roads at 50% of the price. If I were to end up with a Type R, it would be an additional vehicle for occasional use and definitely not my daily driver, but I can't bring myself to buy a car like a Type R only to have it sit in the garage most of the time and it's just not economical as a daily driver.
Or you can buy some Michelin Pilot 4s's as your daily and they will last 30k+ miles and be objectively much better. I put cup 2's on my track wheels so I don't wear the PS4S's . Also all the brakes can be swapped for better and longer lasting brakes very easily which also I did. So my Type R is pretty much maintained for 30k miles which is pretty standard for a high performance vehicle.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, I wouldn't pay anymore than 36k for the type r (before taxes, etc). 5k in accessories...love to know what those were, lol

SBPerformance

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo, 2003 350z, 1998 CRV, 2019 Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wow that sucks... I picked up my CTR in SoCal for $1,000 over MSRP, plus $3k accessories (I carbon fiber wing, carbon fiber interior package, carbon fiber mirrors, alarm, tint, cargo mat, floor mats, wheel locks) and my extended warranty was $900 for 8 years / 120k miles.

So... I feel you can get a type R in SoCal for near MSRP as a different dealer was willing to sell me one for $1k over back in February 2019 but, it didn't have the accessories I wanted and had a deep scratch down the driver side rear quarter panel. My other half has a 2018 Si also, I love that car and its what made me want the Type R. I don't daily the R but if you're looking for a daily, the Si is a wonderful choice for an all around vehicle with some occasional fun on back roads or autox events.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
pricing and amount of cars available 2 years ago when it first came out was totally different compared to now.

there should be no issue getting one for MSRP now.

i don't see a reason to bump a 2 year old thread just to mention that there will be no more focus rs lol.

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
They're still going for +$5K in the DFW area.

Untitled.png
it is going for that down here too.
What i mean is, if you are serious enough and motivated to buy, you should be able to get it for msrp. Not necessarily saying dealers are advertising for msrp.
Sponsored