Finally joined the club

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si sedan ABM, 2017 CR-V EX, formerly 2005 Saab 9-2x, 1986 Prelude Si
Country flag
So, at long last...after literally years of careful deliberation, I've finally purchased an Si. I've been considering the car since 2017 (check my join date)...took a couple of test drives...read through hundreds of forum posts...and kept an eye on any changes with each new model year. 2020 added LED headlights and Sensing, and that was enough to push me over the edge. I looked at some other cars - VW GLI & GTI, Veloster N, Forte GT. But I was always pretty sure I'd end up in the Honda. Indeed, I picked up my 2020 ABM sedan just a few hours ago.

My previous car was the relatively unheralded 2005 Saab 9-2x, purchased new in 2005. Yes, I drove that thing for 15 years. It kept going and going and going, delaying any actual need for a new ride. Truly, the Saabaru was terrific: AWD, 227HP, and built like a tank. Never had a major issue in those 15 years of ownership. Just brakes, tires, battery, power steering pump, and a couple of random recalls. Never left me stranded. Never got stuck in the snow. However, 15 years is a long time, and the gas mileage was crap. I wanted something new. The Si, in comparison, is like stepping into a new millennium. The tech is almost overwhelming. And I love it.

This forum has been incredibly helpful. Posters like @gtman, @amirza786, @zroger73, @CanadiaegeanBlue, @Gruber, @SCOPESYS, @360glitch and many more have shared some truly fantastic insight. Thank you all for imparting your knowledge.

Not sure about mods yet. I literally just got it home, and haven't even connected my phone yet. All in due time. Right now I'm planning a Sunday tour across some random winding roads in New Jersey. No particular destination. I just want to get out on the road.

See you out there.
Sponsored

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
So, at long last...after literally years of careful deliberation, I've finally purchased an Si. I've been considering the car since 2017 (check my join date)...took a couple of test drives...read through hundreds of forum posts...and kept an eye on any changes with each new model year. 2020 added LED headlights and Sensing, and that was enough to push me over the edge. I looked at some other cars - VW GLI & GTI, Veloster N, Forte GT. But I was always pretty sure I'd end up in the Honda. Indeed, I picked up my 2020 ABM sedan just a few hours ago.

My previous car was the relatively unheralded 2005 Saab 9-2x, purchased new in 2005. Yes, I drove that thing for 15 years. It kept going and going and going, delaying any actual need for a new ride. Truly, the Saabaru was terrific: AWD, 227HP, and built like a tank. Never had a major issue in those 15 years of ownership. Just brakes, tires, battery, power steering pump, and a couple of random recalls. Never left me stranded. Never got stuck in the snow. However, 15 years is a long time, and the gas mileage was crap. I wanted something new. The Si, in comparison, is like stepping into a new millennium. The tech is almost overwhelming. And I love it.

This forum has been incredibly helpful. Posters like @gtman, @amirza786, @zroger73, @CanadiaegeanBlue, @Gruber, @SCOPESYS, @360glitch and many more have shared some truly fantastic insight. Thank you all for imparting your knowledge.

Not sure about mods yet. I literally just got it home, and haven't even connected my phone yet. All in due time. Right now I'm planning a Sunday tour across some random winding roads in New Jersey. No particular destination. I just want to get out on the road.

See you out there.
Just enjoy it as it is for a while and add only what you feel you need.

Edit: tires. That's what you'll need.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Congrats on the purchase! My advice is don't mod, except maybe a quality performance intercooler, and better tires. If you you crave some additional power, pick up a Ktuner from TSP with their tune

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One more thing. I don't know what part of Jersey you are from, but in 2015 I drove from Newark to Bushkill, PA (yes, you can look it up) to attend a 3 week boot camp to get an IT related certification. On my way back to visit a relative in South Jersey, GPS took me through a very scenic route along what I think was the Delaware river, where I drove through some deserted towns and curvy two lane highways. I've attached a few pics. And I did it in a Prius rental, which is actually very pleasant on long trips, that and I only had to fill up once

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally joined the club IMG_20150426_121931678

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally joined the club IMG_20150426_121926254

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally joined the club IMG_20150426_135320735

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally joined the club IMG_20150426_122354964

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally joined the club IMG_20150426_122257765_TOP

Last edited:

CanadiaegeanBlue

First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Aegean Blue Metallic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Welcome to the forum! Can especially relate as I came from a Swedish tank, 04 Volvo S60 R :)

Over time you'll notice this car is more agile, easier to modify, and doesn't have small issues that mid 2000s Euro cars did, but the Si also won't have as much charming character / quirks as the Swedes. However, it's still very enjoyable as Amirza786 mentioned with just an upgrade to sticky summer tires, a rear sway bar, and a base tune if you want to push it.

Myself, @thuseefc, and a few other guys on the forum are deep in the rabbit hole with mods so I advise to mod with caution because the mod itch is severe when you see at least 5 different options for every component!

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Welcome to the club. I just picked mine up in November 2019 and I am very much enjoying it. About the only mod I've done is a 27Won leather shift knob, it's top notch. Have fun with the new car and congratulations.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
So, at long last...after literally years of careful deliberation, I've finally purchased an Si. I've been considering the car since 2017 (check my join date)..

<-- snip --->

See you out there.
Congratulations .. Enjoy your new car.

My advice to you at this point, with the new purchase, is to forget about Mods, and enjoy driving and discovering the car as it is. Plenty of time later, to "DECIDE" on what Mods you feel you need, as opposed to what mods you just heard about.

Some (many) may disagree with me, but I would recommend that you take some care initially in "Running in" the car. Some say it is not necessary to do this with a "Modern" car, but I guess I am "old School", and strongly believe in a reasonable "run in" process.

I did this with my new 2018 Si, and ended up with a car that has had no issues ( Transmission issues, A/C issues etc) - maybe I was just "Lucky", or maybe the running in process helped.

Not easy to resist some spirited driving when you 1st get the Si (or Tye R), but what helped me was the "Insurance Company Driving Monitor" plan I opted into when I got the Si.
3 months of "Carefull" driving ,and I got an almost 40% discount on my Insurance Policy, for the life of the Policy and for all cars on that policy -- and benefited by a "Motivated" car "Run In" process.

If nothing else, 40% every month I can now put towards MODS !!!!

OP
OP
MaxPower

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
One more thing. I don't know what part of Jersey you are from, but in 2015 I drove from Newark to Bushkill, PA (yes, you can look it up) to attend a 3 week boot camp to get an IT related certification. On my way back to visit a relative in South Jersey, GPS took me through a very scenic route along what I think was the Delaware river, where I drove through some deserted towns and curvy two lane highways. I've attached a few pics. And I did it in a Prius rental, which is actually very pleasant on long trips, that and I only had to fill up once
Yes, that's indeed the Delaware river. Bushkill is along the Delaware Water Gap, which functions as the border between NJ & PA. The entire route is very scenic. It's a couple hours away from me, but that's a great suggestion for a drive.

Welcome to the forum! Can especially relate as I came from a Swedish tank, 04 Volvo S60 R :)
Thanks for the welcome, but I've actually been here for three years! That's how long it's taken me to pull the trigger. Your posts, in general, helped solidify my color choice. ABM always struck me as my favorite of the available options, but I liked MSM too, and I considered black as well. But seeing all of your posts/pics convinced me to stick with my gut, and I'm glad I did. And I have indeed followed your build thread. Great stuff.

One of my friends had an S60R, that was a great car. Not sure if you're familiar with the 9-2x, but it's about as Swedish as the Civic. It's a WRX with Saab bodywork and emblems - hence the "Saabaru" moniker. It's also a great car, but nowhere near as quirky as a "real" Saab. The Saabaru & Si have some similarities - they're both compact Japanese 4-cylinder turbos - but driving them back to back, it's amazing how different they are. The shifter & clutch jump out at me more than anything else. Couldn't be more different.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaxPower

MaxPower

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

My advice to you at this point, with the new purchase, is to forget about Mods, and enjoy driving and discovering the car as it is. Plenty of time later, to "DECIDE" on what Mods you feel you need, as opposed to what mods you just heard about.

Some (many) may disagree with me, but I would recommend that you take some care initially in "Running in" the car. Some say it is not necessary to do this with a "Modern" car, but I guess I am "old School", and strongly believe in a reasonable "run in" process.

I did this with my new 2018 Si, and ended up with a car that has had no issues ( Transmission issues, A/C issues etc) - maybe I was just "Lucky", or maybe the running in process helped.

Not easy to resist some spirited driving when you 1st get the Si (or Tye R), but what helped me was the "Insurance Company Driving Monitor" plan I opted into when I got the Si.
3 months of "Carefull" driving ,and I got an almost 40% discount on my Insurance Policy, for the life of the Policy and for all cars on that policy -- and benefited by a "Motivated" car "Run In" process.

Yeah, I'm definitely not planning to do any serious mods for quite a while. Maybe some very minor interior stuff...perhaps a shift knob, maybe Honda Hack. I remember seeing some rubber liners for the various cubbies/cup holder area, which seems like a good idea.

Re: break-in - yes, I do intend to take this process slow, and carefully follow the directions at least for the initial 600 miles. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, but it certainly can't hurt. And you only get one shot at break-in on any new vehicle, so I might as well do it right. On the way home from the dealer, I tried to vary engine speeds & loads as much as I reasonably could. And as tempting as it is to floor it, I'll stay away from going WOT.

Never heard of the insurance company driving monitor. I'll look into that.

Annexed

First Name
Austen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
I looked at some other cars - VW GLI & GTI, Veloster N, Forte GT. But I was always pretty sure I'd end up in the Honda. Indeed, I picked up my 2020 ABM sedan just a few hours ago.
It looks like you have done a bunch of research and congratulations on the pick up. I feel like I didn't do enough research before buying this car, I only test drove the Vel N. What made you pick up the Si over the competitor?

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag

mjh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2020 Sedan; Previously VW Jetta SEL 2016 (auto); Civic EX Sedan 2009 (manual); Civic EX Coupe 2002 (manual)
Country flag

Do you need to keep the monitor on to keep the discount? I like the idea in theory, but I hate the idea of having someone monitor my driving, forever.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I'm definitely not planning to do any serious mods for quite a while. Maybe some very minor interior stuff...perhaps a shift knob, maybe Honda Hack. I remember seeing some rubber liners for the various cubbies/cup holder area, which seems like a good idea.

Re: break-in - yes, I do intend to take this process slow, and carefully follow the directions at least for the initial 600 miles. I don't know if it's absolutely necessary, but it certainly can't hurt. And you only get one shot at break-in on any new vehicle, so I might as well do it right. On the way home from the dealer, I tried to vary engine speeds & loads as much as I reasonably could. And as tempting as it is to floor it, I'll stay away from going WOT.

Never heard of the insurance company driving monitor. I'll look into that.
There is an insurance company here called Metromile that installs a device into the OBD port and monitors how many miles you drive as well as speeds etc and your monthly premium is based on the data generated. Companies like Allstate are doing this as well, the problem is I drive a lot to Southern Cal and each trip comes out to almost a thousand miles, plus I don't always follow the speed limit :nixon:

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the pickup and a fine choice of color!

I agree with the posts above - It's a great vehicle that you can enjoy in stock form. Some lightweight wheels and sticky tires will definitely turn up the fun factor!

I personally haven't done any power mods *yet*, only some functional cosmetic ones. Ceramic tint, flat-bottom wheel, weighted shift knob, OEM mud flaps and some audio + lighting upgrades.
Sponsored