Finally have a garage to work in, best place to start?

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Hatch LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've had a 10th gen Civic for 3 years now and never been able to work on it because of apartment complex rules, but I finally have a garage where I can store tools and do my own work.

What would you say are the most important tools to have on-hand to do any work on Civics, and are there any that people typically overlook that are especially helpful?

(Also looking for opinions on jack stands vs. drive-up ramps, EZ Car Lift worth the investment for tire/brake/oil change work, common pitfalls to avoid, etc.)

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored

TrippyPancakes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport (CVT)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you are looking for relatively inexpensive ramps that work for the most part I have these:
https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909ABMI-RhinoRamps-Vehicle-Ramp/dp/B0117EETEK

I say mostly work because when backing down them in my Hatchback Sport with Stock suspension and tires the tiny little hanging plastic piece rubs slightly. Sounds really gross, doesn't seem to hurt anything though and the price is good compared to some other options I have seen. Your Type-R may not work well on it though since the clearance is lower.

I would recommend getting a set of torque wrenches and a breaker bar as well if you don't have them already. I have some friends that don't follow torque specs on their bolts and lugnuts and while nothing has gone wrong for them yet why risk it?

Also, if you plan to do any work that requires the removal of bumpers you will probably want something like these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...SRCMO&linkId=9acd9bfdc5c135c285eaae727e3117eb
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...XMCTM&linkId=bb1bf391511e64f9a9855aff78b62eb0

OP
OP
Cat Damon

Cat Damon

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2017 Civic Hatch LX 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendations! Actually have both those pry tool sets cause I did some body work before and they're the best. Definitely with you on the torque wrench cause I don't want to risk over/under tightening anything, especially when I'm still getting the hang of things.

Your Type-R may not work well on it though since the clearance is lower.
I'm not too worried about this yet cause I'm not doing any non-cosmetic work to that myself until I've done my reps on the LX hatchback :thumbsup:

tommygunz18

First Name
Tomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Ramps definitely, go to harbor freight. Most tools are really good for the price. For what you’ll be doing, those tools are perfectly fine.
Jack and jack stands. Wrenches sockets, wrench keys. Basic stuff.
Sponsored