Finally got the spare tire kit installed

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I wonder why the Canadian Si got a spare and the US didn’t. Same deal as the LED headlights? Price point?
Same similar reason why the Canadians get a Washer Fluid low monitor, and not a TPMS, while the USA gets a TPMS and not the water fluid low monitor. Honda made that decision.

A closer reason may be the reason why Canada gets a Garmin GPS that does not rely on a Cellular connections, while most of the American models do not.

There are vast areas of Canada without Cellular connectivity, and far away from any road assistance. Because of this, a non-cellular GPS is required, and because of the time it may take to get something like Honda Assist to hep you. If that stupid Foam system fails, and it will on a sidewall blowout, you need a reliable spare you can fit and get moving again, before you freeze to death.

Just my Guess here -- but good luck getting an meaningful official answer from Honda America, or Honda Canada !!
Sponsored

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see a Garmin based nav, my 9th gen Si nav sucked so much I bought a Garmin, that and an over $100 cost to upgrade. I’m surprised that is different as well. Thanks for the info.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see a Garmin based nav, my 9th gen Si nav sucked so much I bought a Garmin, that and an over $100 cost to upgrade. I’m surprised that is different as well. Thanks for the info.
Yes, I see you are in Canda so you get the Garmin in the Si as standard.
How is it... does it lag the Head unit when it is running ?
The head unit is slow enough without any extra work, and a GPS app is heavy work.

BTW: As you have the Garmin enabled in Canada, you automatically get a a whole collection of extra Voice Commands, that work on your car, that do not rely on Google and a Cellular connection, that we do not get here in the USA.

Like, you can voice control your A/C etc -- assuming the Limited processing in the HU can understand correctly what you are saying to it.

Google Voice, that requires an Internet Connection is a lot more powerful in understanding what you say.. it has a whole bank of Servers working on it .. all the Honda has is slow, dated Android system, but you cannot use Google Voice to control the car, like the A/C. SUCKS

What is frustrating to me, down here in the USA, is that all the Garmin apps appear to be installed on our Head Units, they are just not "enabled" . DOUBLE SUCKS

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
Garmin doesn’t seem to lag and is pretty much as fast as my old stand alone gps.

gjurrens

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Type R, 2016 White Orchid Pearl Civic
Country flag
I got the si spare tire kit installed. While it is nice to know i now have a spare tire, I am not sure I like giving up so much room in the trunk. I cannot fit some stuff I normally put in there.
I hope this isn’t a dumb question: the two clip-like things that hold down the end of the spare tire cover closest to the back seats do not offer an intuitive way to remove that cover to install the new one. How does that work?! And where exactly does the scissor jack go?!

Spiff44

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic SI
Country flag
No one I know has ever had a flat tire... except on a situation that they were going to see how far they can drive a bald tire with cord showing. And tires have come a long way in the last 50 years, way less likely to fail now.

I would rather save the weight as well. On my last Civic I decided I didn't need back seats, door panels, carpeting, all interior panels except the dash, head liner and of course the spare.

birdo_smash

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I finally got my spare squared away after owning the car for over a year. I bought the kit in the spring but it took me a few more months to get around to purchasing the actual tire. I've actually never changed a tire so who knows if I'd actually be able to do it if needed. But at least it's there for me to try, or break down and have AAA do it. haha
$200 for the kit (includes shipping) and $200 for a new tire.

zain27

z27
First Name
Zain
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2008 Honda Pilot
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I hope this isn’t a dumb question: the two clip-like things that hold down the end of the spare tire cover closest to the back seats do not offer an intuitive way to remove that cover to install the new one. How does that work?! And where exactly does the scissor jack go?!
Well I just yanked the clips out and tucked the excess under the seat
As for the jack, it fits in the foam tray that sits inside the donut

Whoneedsknow

First Name
Jarrod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I also need help with this

MuffinMcFluffin

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Honda Civic EX, 2019 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I know the Si doesn't come with a spare tire, but does anyone know if the EX does?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I know the Si doesn't come with a spare tire, but does anyone know if the EX does?
What I really wanna know is does the Sport with the center exhaust like the Si have a spare. That would be some bullshit lol

forum_user

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 fz-07
Country flag
No one I know has ever had a flat tire... except on a situation that they were going to see how far they can drive a bald tire with cord showing. And tires have come a long way in the last 50 years, way less likely to fail now.
really?? I’ve had multiple flats over the years, on tires that had plenty of life in them. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I live in a highly congested metropolitan area with a lot of construction going on everywhere all the time (nails and screws falling out of truck beds), and a lot of broken glass on the street.

Green82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
im suprised the truck is so shallow compared to the hatchback. the hatchback sport comes from factory with a spare and has center exhaust and where the tire sits is still deeper

Blk_Clover

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 si sedan
Country flag
Hi guys, just wanna double check with my 10th Gen buddies. But I think BKparts is wrong on this one I hope they are because it would really be confusing me. I have a 2020 sedan SI and my part is suppose to be (06421-TBF-A10ZA) just want to make sure because it's still in back order and I dont want to pay and wait for something that isnt going to fit and have to reorder and more waiting. Thanks

Honda Civic 10th gen Finally got the spare tire kit installed Screenshot_20200115-003426_Gmail

gjurrens

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Type R, 2016 White Orchid Pearl Civic
Country flag
really?? I’ve had multiple flats over the years, on tires that had plenty of life in them. I’m sure it doesn’t help that I live in a highly congested metropolitan area with a lot of construction going on everywhere all the time (nails and screws falling out of truck beds), and a lot of broken glass on the street.
We picked up a shell casing from a 9mm gun here in ABQ once!
Sponsored