1.5T Finally 311.7 HP! Owen turbo + Custom connecting rod.

fiend busa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Cylinder pressure, from detonation or preignition, or hydrolocking typically bends a rod, not just purely boost pressure. You can have enough cylinder pressure at 2psi to bend a rod.
Well shit....time to ask Vit to dial my boost down to 1 PSI...maybe even 0.5 to be on the safe side.

:p
Sponsored

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Iunno,

Vit has pushed the boost to 27 and further on his shop cars and never reported any issues with rods bending. Sounds like mishift or incorrectly tuned car causing det/mis bending those rods on carfuns car.

OP
OP
carfun

carfun

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gt-tune.com
Vehicle(s)
civic 1.5t, EVO9, RS4, GTR R35
Country flag
So its likely rods will be bent with a 26 PSI tune eventually?

@VitViper
Nobody can answer which exactly boost at which point it will bent. But from what we have tested we know about what range is safe and what is dangerous.
Why some said they drive very high boost but his connecting rod still ok, simple is everyone driving style is different some drive aggressive. Don't forget the load in the road is different than the dyno. Dyno is always less load when compare to real road driving.

OP
OP
carfun

carfun

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gt-tune.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Interesting, since i bent 3 rod on my l15ba and always thinking it's an over rev did 2 mounth earlier, now i see you saying you bent rod with 27psi. Hmmm interesting
IMG_1842.JPG
IMG_1841.JPG
I would bet it was still your mis shift. An over rev will do exactly what happened to your engine. and from the cases Ive seen, the over rev doesnt blow the engine right away, its usually a few months down the road.

We have another car which is CVT also connecting rod bent. Boost 1.8-1.9 bar (26-27 psi). CVT gearbox will not break but your connecting rod maybe. We don't drive this car often, 1 year now only 43xx miles. More than 3200 miles is on the dyno. It is not a daily drive car. There is no point to argue how bad is my driving skill is, I own FIA International Driver License.

Last edited:

VitViper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
@VitViper I heard you are selling etunes. I still have my stock turbo at my shop. I will pay for an etune to see 265 whp on a stock turbo for comparisons sake. I will look for a Hondata dealer in my area if needed. Can you PM me details how to pay etc.
If you want a course in how to make power without using a 1.15 TCF and using the shop as the scapegoat for BS #'s, courses start at $100,000. 5 attendee minimum. We were not using a Hondata.

So its likely rods will be bent with a 26 PSI tune eventually?

@VitViper
There's a lot more at play than just the boost level. If you bend a rod at 260-270wtq (which is about what 26psi makes on pump gas), something else was amiss. So far none of our customers has had a problem, but no 2 engines are the same... I've seen Honda engines throw rods bone stock on factory tunes on some models (10-12 TSX comes to mind).

OP
OP
carfun

carfun

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gt-tune.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
looks like your bag of cocaine blew in the secret spot in your engine....lol
Read my post it is not my car, I took the pictures from another forum who damage his car's connecting rod.

nabusa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL Type S, Acura RLX
Why would you not install pistons while the motor is already tore apart? If you are going to use beefy rods the logical thing to do is also get pistons if you are going to all that trouble.

ruddyrid@procivic

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FB6 (Sold)
Country flag
Why would you not install pistons while the motor is already tore apart? If you are going to use beefy rods the logical thing to do is also get pistons if you are going to all that trouble.
Not wanting to speak on @carfun's behalf, but incremental upgrades are great for learning the exact limits of specific components.

maddmatt02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic ex-t 2016 crv lx 2001 accord ex 1997 integra gs
Country flag
Not wanting to speak on @carfun's behalf, but incremental upgrades are great for learning the exact limits of specific components.
And are pistons available?

OP
OP
carfun

carfun

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gt-tune.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
We test 29 psi and the pistons look still perfectly good. For custom piston take more time to make as well and not much you can change in piston. You can't change compression ratio, you need make exactly same shape and size because this is direct injection engine.

And are pistons available?
Pistons can be custom order if you send details to CP, JE etc. I think it maybe take 1-2 months.

Last edited by a moderator:

noobsteak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 FK4 hatchback
@carfun I like how you are testing things and sharing with others despite getting flamed about what you shared and still answering questions.
I wont comment on the number of hp with dyno factor being off or whatever but I hope you can show the actual retest result again just to clear yourself up.

Keep doing what you do and sharing more info. The civic owners here in Bangkok are waiting for some good results. I'm sure many are ready to go to the limits on their CVT :p

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
@carfun I like how you are testing things and sharing with others despite getting flamed about what you shared and still answering questions.
I wont comment on the number of hp with dyno factor being off or whatever but I hope you can show the actual retest result again just to clear yourself up.

Keep doing what you do and sharing more info. The civic owners here in Bangkok are waiting for some good results. I'm sure many are ready to go to the limits on their CVT :p
Hello,

I'm sure the Civic RS is the cheapest fastest car new you can buy in Thailand right now, correct? If so I expect to see loads everywhere when I go back. Didn't see any in 2016 or 1st quarter 2017.

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Hello,

I'm sure the Civic RS is the cheapest fastest car new you can buy in Thailand right now, correct? If so I expect to see loads everywhere when I go back. Didn't see any in 2016 or 1st quarter 2017.
Doug from Hondata was just in Thailand, he posted bunch of CivicX pics
Honda Civic 10th gen Finally 311.7 HP! Owen turbo + Custom connecting rod. {filename}
Sponsored