Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You need to build the internals of the engine & do full bolt ons , then add a big turbo from rampage , get a tune on the ecu & you can make 600-700 whp ? you just need to want that out of your car to do that .
Or you could rip all your interior out and skip the engine build and bigger turbo. ?
Sponsored

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Considering how well this car drives bone stock, I can only imagine what it is like with a tune and a few well thought out mods. Or you could wind up ruining the balance, the reliability, warranty. Some mods are a no brainer, some are questionable. I personally don't need (much) more power, I just need more opportunities to use the power available. Open the tracks back up please!

EtRtcarguy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic
Country flag
@RepyT That’s exactly why I have the Mugens on. The drag is minimal and from a cosmetic standpoint I’d prefer a fully open vent and the look over .01 seconds and a fake vent to infinity to look at. Every review critic penalizes the CTR fake vents front and rear.

This has been discussed many times if you remove the black inserts left at right of the vents that air is also increasing air flow to the inter cooler as well to keep cool just like opening the front vent more. Both cause a minor amount of drag but efficiency and looks are gained in the case if properly applied.

Just like if I want to add any weight to the car for accessories etc. Everything has positive and negative impacts on any application is just finding the balance that makes the owner the most pleased with their individual car. The fake vents are the worst part of the CTR to me 2017-2020.

The new Supra is criticized heavily for its 10 fake vents but they aren’t as large. But a car at the Supras price tag there’s absolutely no excuse for a fake vent let alone 10 of them.
im working on this version to deal with drag buy getting rid of honeycomb fave and adding a flat surface for air to go over and then adding a vent hole for it to actually function to cool either brake rotors..engine bay or more air for intake. Making another version of this that will have mesh as well.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fell out of love with my FK8... 20200618_182824

Honda Civic 10th gen Fell out of love with my FK8... 20200618_182842

Honda Civic 10th gen Fell out of love with my FK8... 20200618_183518

MoTeC R

Slow For Show
First Name
Smally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 S2000 Roadster, 2019 Civic Type R, 2020 Supra
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Considering how well this car drives bone stock, I can only imagine what it is like with a tune and a few well thought out mods. Or you could wind up ruining the balance, the reliability, warranty. Some mods are a no brainer, some are questionable. I personally don't need (much) more power, I just need more opportunities to use the power available. Open the tracks back up please!
The car is much more fun and faster on the street with more power for sure, and even serious track drivers see the benefits in modding to a point. Mods are all about what fits your use of the car primarily. No one uses their car at the track more than the road unless they are making a fully dedicated track car.

Honda build a great mass production “Performance” car, but they also don’t go all out for cost, fuel mileage etc. they have many more things to worry about as an auto manufacturer than optimizing what the car is capable of (Cooling issues for example) is a glaring issue even on the 2020 “improvements” made to address that a bit It won’t compare to a big radiator and pipe combo.

Same goes for the GT-R, so much potential - I saw 2 GTRs 1700+ with nitrous and one 2000whp no NOS rolling 60-150s with a stock GT-R and the stock one looked like a base civic in comparison. I remember buying my GT-R and in a matter of weeks I was like it feels slow I need MAWR. ?

HondaFan2017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 PMM CTR (ex BMW 420d GC)
Country flag
- as others said, conduct an objective assessment: pros/cons; don't let subjectivity/feelings decide as boredom could be a factor. Even if you'll get a 911 GT3 or a Merc AMG GT-R there will always be smth better.
- car purchase is an important financial decision. As others pointed out, I also took my time, 2 years until deciding. During which I read/watched opinions/reviews, drive tested different cars. I just cannot afford as private flipping cars every 1-2 years, it's throwing money out of the window. Just think what most of us go through daily earning that money. Working to make others rich while living in constant debt and saving up nothing. When I want to spend the sum S I always think that I have to work to actually gain 2 x S (bc of taxes, VAT).
- personally I think this car is fast enough as soon as it starts rolling(20-30mph +). I drive on Autobahn quite often and unless you talk about 500-600 hp+ cars the CTR behaves honorably(comparable acceleration, top speed). I think the CTR shines at handling/control. I like that tight feeling/confidence/lightness/grip that it provides regardless of corner/road conditions. How it wraps around the driver. You need constantly to maneuver the car(corners, overtaking, avoidance) These qualities are more important than a hog of a car that is absurdly fast in straight line but drives like a brick in corners.

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
No I honestly think it’s a cost savings measure for the Supra to create the body lines they wanted that aren’t proven to be even functional just look inspired filled with fake vents and somewhat needed in the CTR design if you have parking sensors or Honda Sensing. They could have used alternate setup in setups that didn’t have either, but that’s not cost effective from a production standpoint. Just like the Honda sensing and parking sensors all add addition weight to the car vs those without those additional accessories most Type R users will find as unwanted or fine either way. In the end they are making you buy the sensing now and for those that don’t want it then it’s unfortunate and those that do get a bare bones package of the Honda sensing in the US not even the full suit available on other Honda models.
Can you link the vents you used / got? Just curious to see them.

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
im working on this version to deal with drag buy getting rid of honeycomb fave and adding a flat surface for air to go over and then adding a vent hole for it to actually function to cool either brake rotors..engine bay or more air for intake. Making another version of this that will have mesh as well.
If you have the means, I suggest you add a cowl/lip around the inlet. Similar to what you see on the driving light housing. It will help with the ram effect and focusing the air into the inlet as opposed to letting it slide by.

EtRtcarguy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic
Country flag
If you have the means, I suggest you add a cowl/lip around the inlet. Similar to what you see on the driving light housing. It will help with the ram effect and focusing the air into the inlet as opposed to letting it slide by.
Huh..didnt think about that now that i look at it closely. It would actually give it some depth as apposed to a plain flat service. Ill try it and post it.

Last edited:

Fenrir07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mazda 3
Country flag
Just a random view. The CTR to me is basically the F/A-18 Hornet of lower cost performance cars. It does many things very well but not necessarily a master in any single area.

RepyT

Almost Stock ‘19 R on 255/35-19”
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just a random view. The CTR to me is basically the F/A-18 Hornet of lower cost performance cars. It does many things very well but not necessarily a master in any single area.
Agree. Aggressively angled yet well rounded.

Insert ‘how you like your women too’ in private visualization if/as you see fit.*

(* Doesn’t HAVE to be a woman, read as someone you’re attracted to)

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Jack of all trades, master of none.

The CTR is easily the best all around performance car you can buy in it's price range.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm the kind of person who gets bored after a couple of years with his car and trades it in when I beak even. Yea The R is not perfect but what is? I've been blasted for saying this but for near 40K
I think the R should have, heated seats/steering wheel heated rear-view mirrors (the 2020 may have those) the Golf R has those and the Focus RS has heated seats. so its not unheard for a hot hatch in this price point.
Ive mitigated the wheel issue somewhat with a thicker sidewall and have discovered alternate paths to work. I live in Chicago so rim killing potholes are everywhere, My R has handled Chicago winters like a boss, and has seen -30 she started right up.
I don't drag race my R so racing at a light isn't an issue, Shes out gunned vs a Stang, and similar rwd brutes, I know when to pick a fight and when not to. But she will leave most in the dust on and off a on/off ramp.
Could My R be better yes, and I think the 2020 has addressed some of those issues. but I STILL LOVE MY Type R and shes staying with me till I'm in a nursing home.
shes #00006

Honda Civic 10th gen Fell out of love with my FK8... 00006

Honda Civic 10th gen Fell out of love with my FK8... My typer2

Last edited:

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
Agreed should have had some luxury standard....for the price point this should have had a leather shift knob, power seats front , heated/cooled seats , heated mirrors

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Agreed should have had some luxury standard....for the price point this should have had a leather shift knob, power seats front , heated/cooled seats , heated mirrors
Perhaps it's because I live in Florida, but I wouldn't want any of that stuff in my Type R.
Sponsored