Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R CW #00006
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Perhaps it's because I live in Florida, but I wouldn't want any of that stuff in my Type R.
Different opinions.. If you bought a Golf R or Focus RS you get those features regardless of were you live. Not everyone lives down south.
Sponsored

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Right now I know how you feel. Mind you that my2020 CTR is still in the break-in period but compared to my Evo 8, the power is totally different. I heard the reasons that its performance and handling is great for the price but how many members here already modded their suspension and how did it affect the handling.....better or worst. Maybe I'll just have to wait til the car is broken-in and actually redline this car. On paper it has more power than my Evo 8.

Byron Sexton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mazdaspeed6, 2020 Civic Type R SGP #36784
Country flag
With a Type R what you see is what you get....That is the reason why I like this car, but i also have a tad bit of regret getting it. Mind you i came form driving a used G37 with all the bells and whistles. Nissan's build quality though has gone down the tubes.

d15b7

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 1995 Civic EG K24/20 EFR7163 Fortune Auto track weapon
Country flag
all those extras add WEIGHT. one of the biggest deals about the CTR is that it is lighter than all it's competitors!

I guess it would be OK to have all those items as optional extras (I'd never order any of them that's for sure) but to just load up every CTR with all those heavy options would totally go against the personality and focus of the car.

for instance, if it were possible to order my CTR this way - I'd have gone with manual wind up windows, no power locks, no stereo, no AC, no Nav. I'd be a small percentage of buyers, but I'd have ordered mine that way. and it probably would have been 100+ lbs lighter too. and cheaper.

so count me in the minority of buyer who do NOT want heated and cooled seats and honda sensing and all that other crapola.

Todd

PS I too owned a 2003 EVO VIII from 2003 to 2008. great car! but let me tell you it was nearly as light as they could make it -- there were no options for an EVO VIII in 2003; it came as it came. mine did have AC (I wish I could have ordered it without but it was standard) and also had power windows and locks and a basic stereo. and that was it. it didn't even have cruise control (and it wasn't an option either!). I weighed it one time and without me in it it was 3253 lbs. thats damn light for a AWD car for sure. and if it hadn't had AC or power windows and locks and the radio I bet it could have been near 3200 even. (less than 100 lbs more than our CTRs now!). and in 2003 that car was in the low $30ks new (so if they still made it today, in today's money it would be way more expensive than our CTRs)

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Agreed should have had some luxury standard....for the price point this should have had a leather shift knob, power seats front , heated/cooled seats , heated mirrors
You do have heated mirrors. They were added for 2020.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
all those extras add WEIGHT. one of the biggest deals about the CTR is that it is lighter than all it's competitors!

I guess it would be OK to have all those items as optional extras (I'd never order any of them that's for sure) but to just load up every CTR with all those heavy options would totally go against the personality and focus of the car.

for instance, if it were possible to order my CTR this way - I'd have gone with manual wind up windows, no power locks, no stereo, no AC, no Nav. I'd be a small percentage of buyers, but I'd have ordered mine that way. and it probably would have been 100+ lbs lighter too. and cheaper.

so count me in the minority of buyer who do NOT want heated and cooled seats and honda sensing and all that other crapola.

Todd

PS I too owned a 2003 EVO VIII from 2003 to 2008. great car! but let me tell you it was nearly as light as they could make it -- there were no options for an EVO VIII in 2003; it came as it came. mine did have AC (I wish I could have ordered it without but it was standard) and also had power windows and locks and a basic stereo. and that was it. it didn't even have cruise control (and it wasn't an option either!). I weighed it one time and without me in it it was 3253 lbs. thats damn light for a AWD car for sure. and if it hadn't had AC or power windows and locks and the radio I bet it could have been near 3200 even. (less than 100 lbs more than our CTRs now!). and in 2003 that car was in the low $30ks new (so if they still made it today, in today's money it would be way more expensive than our CTRs)
Heating elements and the switch gear that extists already on the hatchback would add maybe a pound.. the Focus RS has no issues with heated seats and the "weight penalty" you claim. For 2020 sensing is standard. So it must not bother Honda too much .

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
When seats are leather, seat heaters make sense. For alcantara, IMO, not so much. The seats just don't get that cold. I also don't really care about power seats (I'm the only one who drives mine, so I set it and forget it) or heated mirrors. I wouldn't mind the active safety features (Honda sensing). But I really like the "no frills" nature of the CTR and feel like that's part of its personality. I have had zero interest in buying something different since I got mine.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
When seats are leather, seat heaters make sense. For alcantara, IMO, not so much. The seats just don't get that cold. I also don't really care about power seats (I'm the only one who drives mine, so I set it and forget it) or heated mirrors. I wouldn't mind the active safety features (Honda sensing). But I really like the "no frills" nature of the CTR and feel like that's part of its personality. I have had zero interest in buying something different since I got mine.
Power seats give you a better range of seating positions compared to the finite possibilities with manual seat adjustments. No matter how hard I try I really don't like how I sit in the CTR.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The seats donā€™t get cold... until youā€™re in the Midwest and the temp in Celsius is the same as in Fahrenheit. Heated mirrors also useful in that climate too.

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
The seats donā€™t get cold... until youā€™re in the Midwest and the temp in Celsius is the same as in Fahrenheit. Heated mirrors also useful in that climate too.
Fair enough. I love Chicago but wouldn't want to live there because it's too damn cold. My wife went to school in Michigan and feels the same way. In those winters, any heating element is useful.

Archangel

Archangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
At Minus 20-40 Everything is cold ... Heated mirrors would be safety feature. I can't understand why Honda deleted it on the R.
It would weigh less than half a pound of even that. And the wiring extists with the hatch.

RepyT

Almost Stock ā€˜19 R on 255/35-19ā€
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R FK8, 2017 Lexus GX460 Luxury
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Different opinions.. If you bought a Golf R or Focus RS you get those features regardless of were you live. Not everyone lives down south.
Thank goodness! We got enough illness from tourists already.

- Sent from an undisclosed location underground bunker somewhere near Destin, FL

EdG

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I've owned my CTR for about a year now and I think it's an amazing machine but maybe I set my expectations too high. It feels slow off the line to me, the lack of an exhaust note, fragile wheels & FWD limitations are things that have been bugging me for some time now and can no longer ignore. Will likely be selling it soon. The incoming 400z sounds like it might be the car the CTR should have been. Anyone else feeling underwhelmed by their FK8?
You can get an aftermarket exhaust for more sound. I recently installed Hasport 62a rear engine mount. It increased the vibration just a bit. However, it seems to have eliminated all wheel hop. You will still spin the tires in first very easily and you can spin in 2nd as well when pushing hard. It seems to have completely eliminated wheel spin in 3rd. It is still not a rocket off the line but better. If you really want to be an off the light hero, it is the wrong car for you. However, if you just want a different experience it is usually cheaper to do a mod, than to buy a different car. Good luck.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
You can get an aftermarket exhaust for more sound. I recently installed Hasport 62a rear engine mount. It increased the vibration just a bit. However, it seems to have eliminated all wheel hop. You will still spin the tires in first very easily and you can spin in 2nd as well when pushing hard. It seems to have completely eliminated wheel spin in 3rd. It is still not a rocket off the line but better. If you really want to be an off the light hero, it is the wrong car for you. However, if you just want a different experience it is usually cheaper to do a mod, than to buy a different car. Good luck.
I donā€™t get wheel spin in 3rd unless the weather is bad, Iā€™m still on the stock motor mounts. I was thinking about the Hasport 62A mounts as well as the Perrin inserts Which are like 30 bucks. Iā€™m not sure which would have less NVH.

DRKSYD

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
You live in WI and have NOT had your CTR on Road America yet? :) What a fun track you have in your state there. I have been fascinated with the Type R for 20 years and once it was available here, I just put down a deposit, and brought it home. I do understand the OP's point about FWD, at least with the OEM tires/wheels. It does not take that much to roll the tires over on a right hand turn, for instance. Drives me nuts. On the flip side, get a Z06 in the same situation with all the nanny's turned off, with no traffic around, and right turns will never be the same! But, after 2 years of ownership, that is the only complaint i have found with this car.

It is just stupid fast through curves, especially if you keep the turbo on boil and at apex put the hammer down in 2nd or especially 3rd gear...wow, it's an E-Ticket ride for sure.

As others have said, expectations before buying, and then actually living with the car, can sometimes diverge.
Getting there. Wanted to finish etuning first. But yea, Road America is awesome.
Sponsored