Feeling Clunks in Floor While Driving?

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
Does anyone feel clunks or snaps through the floor (near the pedals) and/or through the steering wheel when driving over imperfections in the road? I'm not talking about potholes, but rather cracks in the road or where two uneven pieces of pavement come together. I've been chasing a front end noise and clunk for a while, so I'm not sure if I'm just being paranoid?

Also, sometimes on smooth road, when accelerating, it feels like two things are rubbing or clunking together which I can also feel through the floor by the pedals. I've had it into multiple dealers, many times and have engaged American Honda and none of them can reproduce the problem so they tell me nothing is wrong.

I also get this noise, which is much louder when it is below 50 degrees F outside.

Sponsored

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
That's just road feedback (assuming you are using Si) as the suspension is little stiffer compared to other civics

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
My first thought is a bad motor mount After that... maybe a bad shock.

But I definitely feel a clunk with the CVT around 2200-2500 RPMs in certain situations. It's almost like a VTEC bump that sends a jolt along the transmission and the CVT then tries to compensate.

Just for fun; maybe turn eco mode on (or off) and see if that changes anything. And pull it into S and try to reproduce the conditions.

OP
OP

SpoolAndGo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback LX CVT
Country flag
That's just road feedback (assuming you are using Si) as the suspension is little stiffer compared to other civics
It feels like more than just feedback to me. It is a 2017 Hatchback CVT.

My first thought is a bad motor mount After that... maybe a bad shock.

But I definitely feel a clunk with the CVT around 2200-2500 RPMs in certain situations. It's almost like a VTEC bump that sends a jolt along the transmission and the CVT then tries to compensate.

Just for fun; maybe turn eco mode on (or off) and see if that changes anything. And pull it into S and try to reproduce the conditions.
I've been thinking either a motor or transmission mount as well since it gets better when the temps rise outside (rubber expanding in hot vs. contracting in cold?).

shoegazer

assistant to the assistant manager
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic LX Coupe 2.0 (CVT)
Country flag
You can try putting the transmission into L and doing a few spirited applications and de-applications of the throttle. That would, I believe, put the most stress on the motor mounts.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
It’s a Civic. What you’re feeling/hearing is ‘cheap’. My Touring handles pretty good, but over potholes/broken/uneven pavement, you can hear bits moving and clunking underneath, and it can feel ‘wobbly-kneed’. This has been since new. If you want ‘solid’, buy a VW. ;)

caspar21

2018 Civic Si
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si
Country flag
there are under carriage kits that tighten up the suspension and undercarriage by using spacers and larger bolt flanges. they take the "cheap" out of it by tighting tolerances.

i will try to find a link.

Troy Jollimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, 2018 VW Golf
Country flag
Weird it’s not better from the factory, and I’d be surprised if the TypeR wasn’t already improved somewhat stock. For $270 per kit, it’ll be a while before I consider those.. ;)
Sponsored