feedback on honda sensing?

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you live in stop and go area, forget it. I think you have to get decent speed for the sensing to work. I get alot of beeps but not one stop yet. Tried slowly going to the wall and the beeping is way too late and no braking. The active cruise control brakes fantastic on the highway though I remember I had to manually brake sometimes. It might be the novelty of it.
I believe it starts to work at 45 mph.
As far as how it works, I really liked it for the 900 miles I've put on the car so far. The only time I felt the collision mitigation kick in was as I came up fast on a car about to turn into a driveway, and while I would've been fine without it I didn't think it was overly aggressive.

The lane-keeping can be odd, sometimes even when it's still tracking it can have trouble going around curves. Also even when the lines are visible sometimes it just loses sight of them. The cruise control feature works really well, and in combination with the lane keeping, I think as long as you remember that it's an assist and not a full driving control, it's great. It makes long highway drives a piece of cake because you can turn it on and not have to be 100% mentally engaged every single second.
On curves it usually doesnt work unless its very gradual. I also find it very finicky in construction zones or where roads and lanes have been moved and restriped. It tries to track the old marks and tells me Im drifting out of my lane when Im not. and oh god, if you take a right exit without the blinker holy crap, it goes bananas. Did this a couple times late at night when there is no traffic and the system pounded the brakes on me.
Sponsored

vixty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 hatchback ex
Country flag
I like the sensing but it doesn't work as well as the sensing in my pilot. I think where the civic sits so low it has a harder time pickup up the lines. I don't use the lkas around the city because its always cutting on and off and the beeping is annoying. Also the lane departure doesn't work most of the time as well around the city. But on the interstate it usually works very well unless the lines are crappy. One issue I've had with the braking is when in the left land and there is a left bend in the road the car will try to adapt to the car in the right lane. So it will start hitting the brakes when when there is no one in front of you in your lane. Its kind of annoying but I think the sensing is well worth the money. Trying to find an EX hb with the sensing was pretty darn tough but I imagine that Honda might realize that people really like it and introduce more in the next years. Overall the sensing in my cvic vs pilot is almost a night and day difference.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
do these functions only work when you have cruise control on? and does it come with lane watch camera when you get the sensing package?

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
do these functions only work when you have cruise control on? and does it come with lane watch camera when you get the sensing package?
LKAS works only at above 45mph/72km/hr
Cbms is always on, RDM I think is also above 45mph as well, cruise does not require any of the above systems

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
LKAS works only at above 45mph/72km/hr
Cbms is always on, RDM I think is also above 45mph as well, cruise does not require any of the above systems
Whats funny is, I actually ran into my moms ILX in the driveway. I wasnt paying attention, had my foot on the brake, let off thinking I had turned the car off and bam!!!! Talk about embarrassing. My kid ran upstairs screaming "Nana Nana, daddy hit your car" lol he told on me the little brat.

rjcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
and oh god, if you take a right exit without the blinker holy crap, it goes bananas. Did this a couple times late at night when there is no traffic and the system pounded the brakes on me.
Yeah, that's one thing you have to get used to. If you're on the highway alone you might not signal, but now you've gotta signal just to let your own car know that you're taking the exit.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Whats funny is, I actually ran into my moms ILX in the driveway. I wasnt paying attention, had my foot on the brake, let off thinking I had turned the car off and bam!!!! Talk about embarrassing. My kid ran upstairs screaming "Nana Nana, daddy hit your car" lol he told on me the little brat.
Brake Hold would have been better. ILXs are Avalons with Si engines in a tux. The next gen ILX will get the 17 Si engine but available in an automatic! I'm stuck with this Civic for hopefully 10 years and no issues!

Last edited:

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Brake Hold would have been better. ILXs are Avalons with Si engines in a tux. The next gen ILX will get the 17 Si engine but available in an automatic! I'm stuck with this Civic for hopefully 10 years and no issues!
yeah, my 65 year young mom bought a 16 A Spec and she likes driving it, but wishes she had gone TLX now. She thinks its too small inside. Im like, ma you are single and 65 you dont need all that space the TLX has. When I drive it, Im reminded of how different K series and L series really are. Its a slug off the line but screams up to redline.

bembol

SHIFT_
First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 Sport Touring, 20 Audi Q3 Progressiv
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't exactly have a choice since I only wanted the Sport Touring and it's standard.

I'm not a fan, find it useless except for long trips say to Pittsburgh but then again it's only once a year.

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't exactly have a choice since I only wanted the Sport Touring and it's standard.

I'm not a fan, find it useless except for long trips say to Pittsburgh but then again it's only once a year.
At least you can turn it all off.
Sponsored