feedback on honda sensing?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic LX
Country flag
I am about to purchase a civic lx hatchback but now iam thinking of getting the Honda sensing with it....those who have Honda sensing can you please give me feedback on it? do you lie it etc?
Sponsored

josby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring sedan
Country flag
A year into owning mine, I love it so much that I don't think I'll ever buy another car that doesn't have those features.

un hombre

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic 1.5 Sport+GT White
Country flag
I think it is better to have it, if you can get it for reasonably cheap.
You can live without it, but it does give you extra security. Besides, if you don't like it's features at the moment, you can always turn it off.

So, sensing is mostly about the
- active cruise control,
- lane departure warning and lane keeping assist system,
- road departure mitigation system,
- collision mitigation warning system and forward collision warning plus other minor things.

Active cruise control allows you to adjust the predefined speed according to conditions on the road. So if you have 60 miles set and all of a sudden a car hops in front on your lane, car will automagically brake in order to keep the predefined distance. It will allow the distance to change and once clear, bring you back to original speed.

The lane departure gadgets will keep an eye on the road marks and let you know, if you are leaving your lane (warning message, sound, torque on the wheel). In fact, one of them will automagically adjust the steering for you if it detects no input to the driving wheel and theoretically, keep you in the middle of the lane. It not always works, depends on surface mark quality and weather conditions.

Road departure mitigation system should theoretically stop you from leaving the road, if it is not intended (no indicator turned on etc). Not sure how it works but I think it can even put an emergency brake if needed.

The car also uses radar and camera to detect, if you are on your way to have a collision or collision is imminent. It will warn you accordingly and if it detects the danger, will start braking. It will not brake the car for you, though, just minimize the impact in case you did not manage to react.

Down the line, I think it is totally worth it, especially on long and tiring motorway cruises, when you become a bit tired and distracted.

Up to you to decide, I had no choice as all 1.5 civic versions in Europe have it as standard equipment. I really like it, though, but for everyday city driving most of this stuff is turned off.

http://automobiles.honda.com/sensing

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IT can very helpful and also very frustrating. this is CMBS working when I clearly dont want or need it too

DjinTonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe Touring, silver.
Country flag
I love it, but it's worth it even if you keep only the forward-collision warning on. It's already warned me a couple of times at very low speed when I was behind traffic and distracted looking out the side! Not sure if I would have hit and done fender damage, but over the years I think you could very well avoid at least one costly repair job. For me I'd say it will certainly pay for itself (and perhaps help keep insurance down).

dallasjhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T, 2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love it, but it's worth it even if you keep only the forward-collision warning on. It's already warned me a couple of times at very low speed when I was behind traffic and distracted looking out the side! Not sure if I would have hit and done fender damage, but over the years I think you could very well avoid at least one costly repair job. For me I'd say it will certainly pay for itself (and perhaps help keep insurance down).
Funny part about that is, all these safety features to keep us safe actually cost us more in insurance because the parts are so expensive to replace after an accident. So while they help avoid accidents, when you do get in one, and smash up the front end you have to replace the sensors and radar gadgets that go with it making it easier to get to the threshold where they total the car.

rjcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Funny part about that is, all these safety features to keep us safe actually cost us more in insurance because the parts are so expensive to replace after an accident. So while they help avoid accidents, when you do get in one, and smash up the front end you have to replace the sensors and radar gadgets that go with it making it easier to get to the threshold where they total the car.
No joke. I have a sport touring w/ Sensing. A deer jumped out and twisted up one side of my front end (I have pictures posted) -- just got a call from the body shop, the estimate jumped from $2k to $9k, although to be fair, I don't think it's even the sensors that are driving up the cost.

Rayve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 white Civic VTI-LX (Touring equivalent)
Country flag
I find the adaptive cruise control to be a very useful feature, even in city traffic. It works very well and while I am always ready to brake if required the only times it seems to be in error are when going over a rise in the road or around a sharp curve, when the sensor is not aligned with the traffic ahead. On the highway it takes a lot of stress out of keeping a safe distance from traffic like trailers which tend to slow down a lot on steep grades.

As far as the collision mitigation system I have only had it alert on two occasions, one going around a 30 degree curve with a large road sign at the end of the curve (which it does every time I use that road - but it has never applied the brakes) and once only when going around a curve and someone was on the wrong side of the road in front of me. On that occasion the warning was not needed but if I had been distracted and inattentive for some reason it could have been a life-saver.

So I am highly supportive of the package and suggest you get it.

rjcc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
As far as how it works, I really liked it for the 900 miles I've put on the car so far. The only time I felt the collision mitigation kick in was as I came up fast on a car about to turn into a driveway, and while I would've been fine without it I didn't think it was overly aggressive.

The lane-keeping can be odd, sometimes even when it's still tracking it can have trouble going around curves. Also even when the lines are visible sometimes it just loses sight of them. The cruise control feature works really well, and in combination with the lane keeping, I think as long as you remember that it's an assist and not a full driving control, it's great. It makes long highway drives a piece of cake because you can turn it on and not have to be 100% mentally engaged every single second.

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
I am about to purchase a civic lx hatchback but now iam thinking of getting the Honda sensing with it....those who have Honda sensing can you please give me feedback on it? do you lie it etc?
I'm curious, you are not interested in the Sport with the 18 inch rims and dual, center-mounted, exhausts? I love technology stuff and the Forward Collision warning is worth it if it can save you from even 1 mini or major accident. You can negotiate the HS just like you can negotiate an extended warranty. Don't let this sway you but I wanted to move up to the bleeding edge ofmodern cause I was driving a 20+ year old 95 Lexus but you should think if it is worth a 1000 or a grand and not something like a burning desire to stay ahead of the game but this might not be worth a grand for you.

enishi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sedan ext
Country flag
If you live in stop and go area, forget it. I think you have to get decent speed for the sensing to work. I get alot of beeps but not one stop yet. Tried slowly going to the wall and the beeping is way too late and no braking. The active cruise control brakes fantastic on the highway though I remember I had to manually brake sometimes. It might be the novelty of it.

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
IT can very helpful and also very frustrating. this is CMBS working when I clearly dont want or need it too

LOL mine beeped before when I prematurely accelerated before the car fully turned right up ahead. You went boy racer and actually got it to break LOL. Now I know what it takes haha

LeaveEarly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic HB LX HS
Get it. Especially if you finance or buy as within 5 years I am sure cars will have auto pilot by then so you will not want to miss out

sonicBOOMgray

Banned
Civic was washed away in Houston Harvey maelstrom
Banned
First Name
UNK (uncle)
Threads
Reaction score
my LX was scathed in Harvey...Houston 42 feet unda
Website
a.msn.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Hatch PMM LX HS 0w-20 FF 5650 miles, 06 Accord V6 MC 5w-20, 95 SC300 V6 QS 10w-30
Put it to you this way, I paid 20,7 OTD without HS and 21,7 with HS so that would make it around 19,5 before TTL and 20,5 with HS before TTL. You want an extra grand in the bank or in your car? I could go either way but then my curiosity wouldn't be scratched and more importantly, the safety of forward collision preventing you from totaling out your new civic is priceless so my grand went in my car.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
CMBS alone has helped me bigly at least once.

Everyone was doing 80 or so on the Interstate, I looked down for maybe a second or two to change stations and it beeped at me. Traffic came to a sudden complete stop. Made it so I didn't have to panic brake...
Sponsored