Features You May Not Be Aware Of...

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
These images are from my Owners Manual. There is no "A" pictured & the area between the exterior & fog lights is blank. And nothing is listed in the descriptions. Usually when you start a car all the indicator or warning lights momentarily come on as a self test to show that they are working. However when I start the car, none of the indicator dash lights come on that are associated with the exterior lights. I found this unusual.

That being said, if I look closely at the instrument cluster with a flashlight, I can see an "A" between the exterior & fog lights as shown in your picture. It's blacked out, so to speak, & looks like the other indicator lights when they are not on. Honda is apparently using the same basic instrument cluster part in my car as in those that have the automatic feature, they just aren't using all the parts to make it work.

Civic Lights_1.jpg
Civic Lights_2.jpg
Something tells me your Civic doesnā€™t have this feature... When I start my hatch in a dark garage, for instance, or at night, the ā€œAā€ light icon is clearly lit. And on a dark road the icon and the high beams automatically come on.
Sponsored

lyndean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Sedan
Country flag
I just spelled out how to use them, give it a try. :)

Note: It requires you have the lights in AUTO mode, and that they have been turned on by the system. If you put the lights ON manually it won't work.

As some others have noted, this is probably either a 2019 feature or a hatchback feature. Be careful saying all cars have a feature if you're not sure. By the way, I tried it in my 2018 sedan and it doesn't work.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
As some others have noted, this is probably either a 2019 feature or a hatchback feature. Be careful saying all cars have a feature if you're not sure. By the way, I tried it in my 2018 sedan and it doesn't work.
I don't understand why the heck would Honda put this feature on hatchbacks but not on sedans.

wytwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Platinum White SI Coupe
Country flag
I don't understand why the heck would Honda put this feature on hatchbacks but not on sedans.
Maybe because all hatchbacks are made in the UK and European cars have always had different options than North American cars. Hell even the Canadian and US SIā€™s are totally different trim levels.

BriteBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Maybe because all hatchbacks are made in the UK and European cars have always had different options than North American cars. Hell even the Canadian and US SIā€™s are totally different trim levels.
That's a real possibility. I understand Civics for some European or Asian markets have power folding outside mirrors because their parking spaces are quite narrow compared to North America.

Giltibo

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 Accord Coupe 5MT. '18 Civic Sport Touring 6MT (Both Red!)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Some Euro Civic Hatch models also have headlight washers, Active suspension (Non-Type R), lumbar support on the driver seat, a second 12V outlet in the rear hatch, all 4 windows are 1-touch-down, LED fog lights, Privacy rear glass, 1.0L turbo gas and 1.6 Diesel engines available, as well as parking sensors and larger brakes. But no 18" wheels, power seats, and the Active Cruise Control cannot be deactivated (to regular cruise control mode), 11 speakers instead of 12 with the Premium sound system. (Source Honda.co.uk)

Temesvar

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Coupe Si
Country flag
Don't think it is mentioned anywhere, so i thought will mention here about it:
Vents. When they are on, and making a turn, let say left, i feel a breeze coming
from the right, and reversed. Yes, the windows are closed, the roof closed, and
no, i don't drink when i drive.Is it only me, or the vents do rotate as you make the
turn? I don't really see the reason why, and curious if others have noticed this.

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
My 2019 sport sedan has the auto high beams, pull the lever towards you to toggle it on and off.

BogdanM

First Name
Bogdan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Plus 1.5 MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Most underrated feature of these cars is the agile handling assist. No one seems to know it exists on their Civic.
Beause itā€™s so well implemented you donā€™t know itā€™s there :) .

Don't think it is mentioned anywhere, so i thought will mention here about it:
Vents. When they are on, and making a turn, let say left, i feel a breeze coming
from the right, and reversed. Yes, the windows are closed, the roof closed, and
no, i don't drink when i drive.Is it only me, or the vents do rotate as you make the
turn? I don't really see the reason why, and curious if others have noticed this.
Itā€™s not unique to the Civic, felt this in my previous Toyota also. However, donā€™t really know why it feels like that.

Some Euro Civic Hatch models also have headlight washers, Active suspension (Non-Type R), lumbar support on the driver seat, a second 12V outlet in the rear hatch, all 4 windows are 1-touch-down, LED fog lights, Privacy rear glass, 1.0L turbo gas and 1.6 Diesel engines available, as well as parking sensors and larger brakes. But no 18" wheels, power seats, and the Active Cruise Control cannot be deactivated (to regular cruise control mode), 11 speakers instead of 12 with the Premium sound system. (Source Honda.co.uk)
18ā€ wheels are an option on the EU hatch (all apart from base trim on hatch come with 17ā€ wheels, 235/45R17 summer tyre on it). We also have the panoramic roof on the hatch, rear cross-traffic alert (a secondary radar in the back of the car which senses cars 100-150 meters away, left and right), blind spot monitoring on both sides of the car with indicators in the mirrors and audible alert when you put your turn signal), suspension and steering are tuned differently (fast steering rack), clear front side markers.
The cruise control can only be used as ACC (not regular) and it also has LKAS (active lane keep assist - the car follows the road on itā€™s own based on the road marking, different system from Lane Departure Mitigation which just brings you back in the lane and alerts you if you drift off without having the coresponding turn signal on).
Navigation update is free of charge for 5 years and the car also has a compass. The sport oriented trims come with gloss black front lip, different rear lower bumper (gloss black also) with cutaway for the sport dual muffler dual tip exhaust system placed centrally, gloss black side skirts, red dashboard illumination and chassis reinforcements (including strut tower reinforcements).
Yes, the Premium Audio system does not have the rear subwoofer on the hatch but the bass is ok if you are used to listen to music to neutral headphones (monitoring headphones, which do not add bass on top of everything). We also do not get the SI seats (which for me itā€™s a bummer).

Last edited:

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
I've had this car for almost 3 years now and just discovered the hatch also has a lock button, just like the front doors.

Last edited:

Lifesabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Sport Hatchback 1.5 T
Country flag
In the UK the Sport designated hatch does not have the same level of equipment as the States, we get Honda sensing as standard and a whole load of other equipment which you guys don't get however 18 inch alloys are an option. There was also a trim called Sport Plus which added a few more things over what our Sport came with such as adaptive dampers and a sunroof (moonroof) but tis is no longer available due to the 10G being phased out. SI is not available here which is a shame as I think it could have sold quite well.
Sponsored