FC3 Clutch FX350, Single Mass Clutch Masters Flywheel, CDV Grassroots build and tips

Mad Matt

Mad Matt Koga
First Name
Mad Matt Koga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 370, FC3 Si, SE3P LS-Rx8, FD, 65 LS-Impala SS, Big Boost ST, RS4, Notch Coyote Foxbody
Country flag
Good evening Gen X members,

My name is Matt and I am new here. I have built many full track builds in my day and we are at it again with the explosive Gen 10 platform. I have purchased an MY17 FC3 to begin building to attend events and begin competing this next year. You have to start somewhere in the vehicle systems, so I thought what better place than the weak points. The build will take some time as I am a family man, and have an Engineering side job outside of my real job (building cars and being an enthusiast!).

I have reached out and acquired some of the old big name sponsors for this build as many prior vehicles with several of these companies have been a great success; and a lot of fun along the way for both myself/team and the companies who have ran parallel through the efforts. Please be patient members, help me along with any of the rules or errors I make in posting; and hopefully someone can find many of the efforts that we have made and issues we have faced useful! Thanks everyone.

We performed the FX350 clutch install and received the wrong components from PRL, PRL was very quick to handle the customer support and Eric with PRL personally overnighted my gear to get us rolling. Good vibes over to PRL after a nice chat.

We ran into some issues with the clutch install and engagement that many folks may find useful. I know when I run into certain issues I work with others and do much data mining to help expedite resolution of the issues -

Clutch Master Kit was installed and would not shift into gear, after much trouble shooting we determined that there was not enough pressure coming from the stock CMC/CSC and decided to perform the CDV removal of the buffer system. The valve is a cylinder in the image that duplicates a false "slip" in the system to reduce shock to the transmission.

Ultimately this modification is safe and efficient, taking the clutch system back to the visceral feel of "the good ol days" of 2Js, B18s and RBs. If you can shift well, there will be no issue and I enjoy the positive feedback in the pedal and shifter.

The install was successful, after the milling of the CSC, we had to bleed the system approximately 7 times and use vacuum due to the angle of the cylinder. This was a fantastic modification for the upcoming KTUNER parameters (padding, aggressiveness of the boost, etc.). With the single mass flywheel install from CM and the FX350, the system may not be able to be placed in gear properly until the CDV mod takes place.

A bit about the FX350 and Single Mass Flywheel - They are a great combination. The pedal will be very stiff the first 500 miles, but do not worry that you may have made the wrong choice. After this install, the CDV modification and the proper break in period, the clutch pressure will calm significantly; and the overall feel will be very nice. like a race car should feel. The chatter in 1st gear is slight, but nothing significant as long as the install and adjustment were properly performed. The single mass FW is half the weight of the stock dual mass, and with the issues that the dual mass is having for many folks due to the CDV valve compressing under load, it is a welcome addition to this system. the revs are quick and the drop off is not too aggressive, the tuning makes quite a difference once you get to the KTUNER setup as well, which we will be covering our experience later in the week.

We are very happy with this modification, and will be moving onto the next mod here shortly, thanks PRL for the customer care, and for Clutch Master for making a decent setup for the Gen X, until next time!

Honda Civic 10th gen FC3 Clutch FX350, Single Mass Clutch Masters Flywheel, CDV Grassroots build and tips IMG_8284

Honda Civic 10th gen FC3 Clutch FX350, Single Mass Clutch Masters Flywheel, CDV Grassroots build and tips IMG_8841

Honda Civic 10th gen FC3 Clutch FX350, Single Mass Clutch Masters Flywheel, CDV Grassroots build and tips IMG_9289

Honda Civic 10th gen FC3 Clutch FX350, Single Mass Clutch Masters Flywheel, CDV Grassroots build and tips IMG_9294

Honda Civic 10th gen FC3 Clutch FX350, Single Mass Clutch Masters Flywheel, CDV Grassroots build and tips IMG_9271

Honda Civic 10th gen FC3 Clutch FX350, Single Mass Clutch Masters Flywheel, CDV Grassroots build and tips IMG_7062.JPG

kytos

First Name
Marcos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
CIVIC SPORT 1.5t 2017 EUDM
Country flag
OP
OP
Mad Matt

Mad Matt

Mad Matt Koga
First Name
Mad Matt Koga
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nismo 370, FC3 Si, SE3P LS-Rx8, FD, 65 LS-Impala SS, Big Boost ST, RS4, Notch Coyote Foxbody
Country flag
Have you had any problems after leaving the car stopped for 5 minutes and then trying to put it in gear? My buddy @soke is having problems with his trans not shifting in to gear sometimes: https://www.civicx.com/threads/clutch-problems-fx350-prl-turbo-kit-street-dp.41625/page-2
No issues as of yet and I have placed more than 2,000 miles on the vehicle since clutch installation. The removal of the CDV valve is required for the clutch upgrade kit, and I have found that if you do not have the pedal completely depressed in 1st or 2nd then you will have issues with gear placement. I hope this helps.
Sponsored