FBO guys, If you could rebuy your mods...

Nikw91

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Fit Sport. ‘19 WRB WRX STI
Country flag
So I have a 2018 Hatchback Sport CVT and just looking to make it a little more fun to drive.

My question: if you could go back to stock and start over again. Would you do all the same mods or save the money and just flash tune. Do you think all the extra money spent was justifiable. The cost spread is pretty big between the two but are the gains? Just slightly quicker spool and turbo noise is what it seems like.

route 1: $350 for a Hondata + 6 or +9 flash

route 2: $399 intake + $399 downpipe + $699 tuner + $199 custom tune = so at least $1900 + tax/shipping/install... over $2000 easy.
Sponsored

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
If you dont have any real goals beyond making the car more sporty and fun to drive then I would definitely just start off with a tune and see how you feel. You can then decide if you want exhaust for sound, some light chassis/suspension mods, cosmetics, or just stop there.

If you think there's a chance of wanting custom tunes, bigger turbo, flex fuel, etc. Then there's definitely merit to more bolt ons.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If you dont have any real goals beyond making the car more sporty and fun to drive then I would definitely just start off with a tune and see how you feel. You can then decide if you want exhaust for sound, some light chassis/suspension mods, cosmetics, or just stop there.

If you think there's a chance of wanting custom tunes, bigger turbo, flex fuel, etc. Then there's definitely merit to more bolt ons.
Well stated.

I would also encourage you to do your own flash instead of taking it somewhere. This allows you to tweak the settings as desired. You can stick with Hondata at $695 or go with KTuner at $449.

OP
OP
Nikw91

Nikw91

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Just sold my 2019 WRX STI full bolt ons because shifting in Miami traffic sucked, plus it was so slow. Sadly, the civic feels just as fast stock as the sti.

from reading on here, intake and downpipe are only making minimal gains. Big turbos and flex fuel are to much torque for CVT. Correct me if I’m wrong

OP
OP
Nikw91

Nikw91

First Name
Nik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well stated.

I would also encourage you to do your own flash instead of taking it somewhere. This allows you to tweak the settings as desired. You can stick with Hondata at $695 or go with KTuner at $449.
Have a MacBook so stuck with the Hondata as Kpro is only windows I believe

does anyone regret going with a downpipe and intake or is the main consensus pleased and think it made a difference

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag

does anyone regret going with a downpipe and intake or is the main consensus pleased and think it made a difference
Intake is generally for sounds and aesthetics. Minor power gains. The only two I'd really consider is 27WON or PRL cobra. For downpipes, it depends on the rest of your exhaust setup whether its worth it. You do pick up some power from one. Seems to be greatest success with exhaust modding with either full turbo back setups or, or one of DP/exhaust only. I find most people end up annoyed if they do a muffler/resonator delete on the stock exhaust then start adding a DP.

Just sold my 2019 WRX STI full bolt ons because shifting in Miami traffic sucked, plus it was so slow. Sadly, the civic feels just as fast stock as the sti.

from reading on here, intake and downpipe are only making minimal gains. Big turbos and flex fuel are to much torque for CVT. Correct me if I’m wrong
A number of people here have the W1 turbo on a CVT. Several others have flex fuel in addition. It more comes down to good tuning and limiting torque than that combination of things instantly destroying a trans. But its always a risk.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag

@KTuner for Linux! Lol.. really tho, WynnDerz sux

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
So I have a 2018 Hatchback Sport CVT and just looking to make it a little more fun to drive.

My question: if you could go back to stock and start over again. Would you do all the same mods or save the money and just flash tune. Do you think all the extra money spent was justifiable. The cost spread is pretty big between the two but are the gains? Just slightly quicker spool and turbo noise is what it seems like.

route 1: $350 for a Hondata + 6 or +9 flash

route 2: $399 intake + $399 downpipe + $699 tuner + $199 custom tune = so at least $1900 + tax/shipping/install... over $2000 easy.
but just for clarification your engine is the B15 1.5 T or the K20 2.0 n/a

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag

Use Bootcamp or Parallels and run Windows 10, than you should be able to use a Ktuner

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Ktuner + TSP tune is the best bang for your buck. Use the money you save to buy a cheap tuning laptop if you insist on not running boot camp or VM to use Windows. After that you have the freedom to get more mods and get a custom tune for them to get the most out of your car. I seen a few CVT guys tuned by DRob and they seem to make awesome reliable power. Just remember the more you push it the less reliable the car can become.

Edit: Also the TSP tune is safe for use with an exhaust, intake, downpipe, etc... if you want to get more sound out of the car while still having it run well
Sponsored