Favorite Brake Pads......GO!

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I've had some cases where they're dead silent and others where they make some noise during the first thousand or so miles and then dead silent after that. Rotor condition and quality plays a big part. Pads are far more likely to make noise if the rotors are reused or low quality.

Good point. I am still on my original OE rotors, however I had Hawk HPS pads on a previous car with brand new rotors and the noise was even worse and never went away. I thought these new 5.0 Street pads were supposed to at least solve the noise issue. Even my mechanic tried to talk me out of the Hawks because of the noise issues he had with them. So at this point I feel like I would be throwing money away buying new rotors just to solve this.

This thread is 9 pages long and surprisingly we still don't have a go to street pad figured out. I think most of us are looking for OE performance with slightly less dust. I'm contemplating just going back to OE pads and dealing with the dust.
Sponsored

Si_chRis

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Did you replace the rotors at the same time you replaced the pads? I had nothing but issues with noise when I pad-slapped my car. I bought new rotors and new pads and don't really have any issues with noise anymore. I am running Akebono pads.
I did a brake job a year ago with new OEM Honda rotors and Dixcel ES pads. I ended up not being happy with the Dixcel pads (dust and noise), and switched to Brembo NAO ceramic pads. Not sure if the Brembo pads were really ceramic because they dusted a lot, and also made noise.

I have since switched back to Akebono ceramic pads (had them previously for 60K miles) and no more dust. However, after 1,500 miles, I have some noise from the pads at low speeds with brakes not applied. The noise eventually goes away after getting up to 10-15 MPH. I am pretty sure the wear on my rotors from the previous pads, along with pad slapping the new Akebonos are causing the noise with the surface differences. Gotta break them in some more I guess.

pinhead66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan, 2018 Odyssey EX-L
Country flag
I just installed Hawk Street 5.0 pads and feel like I completely wasted my money. The initial bite is great, the dust is less than stock, but they squeal like crazy. It's super loud and annoying. I can't wait to take them off!

Is there a pad that performs similar to sock, but with slightly less dust and no noise?

Anyone try Centric Posi-quiet Ceramics?
Shameless plug but I have a set of new posi quiet ceramic pads for sale that I got back when I had my Pontiac G8 if you’re interested.

https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/fs-centric-posi-quiet-ceramic-brake-pads.83411/

JohnInATL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP FK8
Country flag
I did a brake job a year ago with new OEM Honda rotors and Dixcel ES pads. I ended up not being happy with the Dixcel pads (dust and noise), and switched to Brembo NAO ceramic pads. Not sure if the Brembo pads were really ceramic because they dusted a lot, and also made noise.

I have since switched back to Akebono ceramic pads (had them previously for 60K miles) and no more dust. However, after 1,500 miles, I have some noise from the pads at low speeds with brakes not applied. The noise eventually goes away after getting up to 10-15 MPH. I am pretty sure the wear on my rotors from the previous pads, along with pad slapping the new Akebonos are causing the noise with the surface differences. Gotta break them in some more I guess.
I would tend to agree with you. It’s likely the inner/outer edges of the pads making contact with the “lip” that was worn onto the rotor from the previous pads. I feel like ceramic pads make more noise than metallic pads in this scenario. You could chamfer the edge of the pads and see if that works or try to wear them in a bit further and see if it goes away. That’s the same issue I had with mine. On used rotors. Particularly after they were hot.

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I put in centric posi-quiet pads on last year. Super happy with them overall, except they DO NOT stand up to autox use. I got 2 pads that the material is either pulling off the steel part or cracked across the side. Thinking of switching to EBC reds or paragon P2(if my wallet allows it...). I don't want yellow stuff or anything that aggressive as I drive the car 99% of the time on the street and autox 5-8 times per year.

Am I going the right way with pad choice or there is something better? Btw, the stoptech street pads up front have been amazing at autox and haven't faded or cracked at all.
Sponsored