Faulty Wipers/Car Will Not Start

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
The day after purchasing a 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, the vehicle will not start.

It all began while driving in moderate rain. I noticed no matter what wiper setting was engaged, the wipers moved slowly across the windshield hesitating multiple times and even stopping multiple times during the middle of a wiping motion. Additionally, windshield wiper fluid continuously sprayed onto the windshield as if I activated the washer spray setting. The infotainment screen also dimmed momentarily, but reappeared to its normal illumination after a few seconds.

After arriving home, I shut off the vehicle. I attempted to restart the vehicle, but it would not start. After several failed attempts, the vehicle still will not start. This is the first Honda I've ever purchased or owned. I'm hopeful for a tow and quick resolution of the issue tomorrow.
Sponsored

david1pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring, MSM with Black Interior
Country flag
Sorry to hear about this. I don't recall any similar issues on the forums. Does it try to start? Sounds like a battery/alternator issue, if the wipers had struggles moving.

Please keep us informed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MyFirstHonda

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
No, it doesn't try to start.

harvester2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Country flag
No, it doesn't try to start.
Mine did this too and I took it in and obviously it didn't replicate. I have had it happen twice and both times it had a very stiff brake pedal. I think the master cylinder is leaking out causing the pedal to get stiff to the point that you aren't pushing it far enough to flip the switch and tell the computer that it is okay to start. Very frustrating!! Next time it occurs, take my advice and take a video of it while it's occurring. May end up being a recall issue. Not at all impressed with Honda's QC with this car. Worst car I've ever bought and I can only hope that Honda will work through all the issues quickly. Personally, if I were running Honda, all the engineers would work three shifts a day 6 days a week until these were fixed. The bad press will kill the reputation quickly!

OP
OP
MyFirstHonda

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Mine did this too and I took it in and obviously it didn't replicate. I have had it happen twice and both times it had a very stiff brake pedal. I think the master cylinder is leaking out causing the pedal to get stiff to the point that you aren't pushing it far enough to flip the switch and tell the computer that it is okay to start. Very frustrating!! Next time it occurs, take my advice and take a video of it while it's occurring. May end up being a recall issue. Not at all impressed with Honda's QC with this car. Worst car I've ever bought and I can only hope that Honda will work through all the issues quickly. Personally, if I were running Honda, all the engineers would work three shifts a day 6 days a week until these were fixed. The bad press will kill the reputation quickly!
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the brake pedal is extremely stiff. I'm barley able to press it and I constantly hear a noise coming from the passenger's side front of the vehicle. Lights, radio, HVAC, etc. are working, but the engine will not start. I'm extremely disappointed considering a newly purchased vehicle is sitting in my driveway immovable. I've always thought fondly of Honda, but this is not a good first impression.

harvester2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Country flag
Thanks for your reply. Yes, the brake pedal is extremely stiff. I'm barley able to press it and I constantly hear a noise coming from the passenger's side front of the vehicle. Lights, radio, HVAC, etc. are working, but the engine will not start. I'm extremely disappointed considering a newly purchased vehicle is sitting in my driveway immovable. I've always thought fondly of Honda, but this is not a good first impression.
Stand on it with both feet, and hold the button down and it will start BUT TAKE A VIDEO SHOWING WHAT YOU HAD TO DO. It may come in handy with any NTSB investigations. Just imagine if you were trying to get away from someone with a gun who was chasing you and then get in your NEW car and it won't start! If you make it, you could own what's left of Honda! :)

Hope you get it fixed, as do I, as it's a car I want to love but have learned to absolutely hate!

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
If the honda brakes work with vacuum lines it could just be air being released making the brakes hard to press. When you turn the car off if you press the brake pedal a few times does it start to get the same feeling you're talking about?

harvester2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Country flag
If the honda brakes work with vacuum lines it could just be air being released making the brakes hard to press. When you turn the car off if you press the brake pedal a few times does it start to get the same feeling you're talking about?
Yes it will but that would be normal. If you haven't touched the brake, they should stay "power assisted" until you start the car. I think you're right and that there is a leak somewhere causing the issue. It happens more when it is VERY cold outside.

zshortyz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
Yes it will but that would be normal. If you haven't touched the brake, they should stay "power assisted" until you start the car. I think you're right and that there is a leak somewhere causing the issue. It happens more when it is VERY cold outside.
That might be normal, i used to own a BMW and when I would park outside during the winter same thing occurred, i know almost everyone that owned a BMW said this occurred with them, and when i asked the service department they said it could just be air being released from the vacuum line, happens if you let the car sit for a few days as well. Havent seen this issue with the honda yet though so you might have a leak.

harvester2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Country flag
Not being able to start your own car when it's cold outside should never be considered normal.
Agree, I was only stating that hitting the brakes a couple times after the car is off will bleed the vacuum assist module. But yes, the car should start every time! :)

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
The day after purchasing a 2016 Honda Civic EX-T, the vehicle will not start.

It all began while driving in moderate rain. I noticed no matter what wiper setting was engaged, the wipers moved slowly across the windshield hesitating multiple times and even stopping multiple times during the middle of a wiping motion. Additionally, windshield wiper fluid continuously sprayed onto the windshield as if I activated the washer spray setting. The infotainment screen also dimmed momentarily, but reappeared to its normal illumination after a few seconds.

After arriving home, I shut off the vehicle. I attempted to restart the vehicle, but it would not start. After several failed attempts, the vehicle still will not start. This is the first Honda I've ever purchased or owned. I'm hopeful for a tow and quick resolution of the issue tomorrow.
I haven't taken delivery of mine yet but I see that it has a remote start feature. Did that fail to start it as well?

OP
OP
MyFirstHonda

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
I haven't taken delivery of mine yet but I see that it has a remote start feature. Did that fail to start it as well?
Yes, the remote start feature also failed to start the vehicle.

I called the Honda 24 Hour Emergency Roadside Assistance number and the vehicle is currently being towed to the Honda dealer where I purchased it.

I spoke to a representative at the dealer's service department and he speculates it may be a battery related issue.

tcl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T SOLD June 2016
Vehicle Showcase
I spoke to a representative at the dealer's service department and he speculates it may be a battery related issue.
Sounds logical. Perhaps a short somewhere in the electrical system is draining the battery. I'm hoping the Civic doesn't have a lot of electronics that draw power even when the car is off.

OP
OP
MyFirstHonda

MyFirstHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
Update: After the vehicle was towed from my residence, I noticed a leak on the passenger's side front of the vehicle. The stain from the fluid appears red in color. The vehicle arrived at the dealer's service department. The vehicle still will not start according to the service advisor. The service advisor informed me the weird noise heard when trying to start the vehicle is likely a malfunction with the brake actuator/sensor. The service advisor theorizes the vehicle is not registering the brake pedal as being pressed, and therefore it will not start. I'm concerned about the leak. I did not experience brake fade or failure during the 40-50 miles logged on the odometer. I'm awaiting further update as well as a possible loaner vehicle. I remain hopeful this matter will be resolved, and I will not experience any other issues out of the ordinary. I expected to experience issues with the infotainment system based on my readings, but not this scenario.
Honda Civic 10th gen Faulty Wipers/Car Will Not Start ima
Sponsored