Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
C257D449-E931-44A4-A186-6B3D7E65CD1F.jpeg

These packages containing a set of TE37 SL arrived today. Fast, secure shipping and arrived safe and sound.

C7A73247-FC32-4DCC-A6D8-D37F360505DA.jpeg

Brand new, 100% as described in Mario_kart’s sales thread. Dropped the wheels and wheel lugs off to get ceramic coated. Will be ready tomorrow.

A170D460-03BD-4581-BE91-9AC55E194B38.jpeg
Was very surprised how light they were when handling them.

8A1800CE-C8A1-4ECF-BBCC-63876417D9F6.png

Not sure how soon they will get mounted and installed, but this is a preview of what they look like on a lowered car. Photo credit: Mario_kart.

He’s a very trustworthy, but evil dude.. and has some nice minty HKS coilovers for sale in the members classified section. So tempting. ;)
Instantly recognized our Side Marker Lights from the tiny thumbnail on the right side when I was posting on another thread ?

That TE setup looks soooooo meaty!!!

TypeR604

I choose to live by choice not by chance.
First Name
JM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk8 Type R
Country flag
Changed transmission fluid to Amsoil Synchromesh @18,000 miles.

Tools needed
6mm crush washer
20mm crush washer for drain and fill plug
part#94109-2000

2.3 quarts transmission fluid of your choice
Ratchet with 3/8 extensions, long and short
Flat and Phillips Screwdriver
Funnel
10mm combo wrench
Drain catch pan
Rags
Cardboard
A means of safely raising the car

With the car raised, and oil undertray removed, started the ignition and got the engine to normal operating temperature then shut it off.

MtnBikeAZ1 posted a nice tutorial here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-...e-and-are-they-different-by-model-year.36209/

Accessing the fill plug requires removal of the airbox and ECU (if have an Eventuri) so will need to also disconnect the battery terminals.

248E2621-C6D5-41A6-AB7D-0F98DB27986A.png

Fill plug removal. Photo credit: MtnBikeAZ1

F016F7B7-DE2D-4CBB-8F5C-424B5EF8E79D.jpeg

Drain plug location

FCB532F5-713F-4F6B-AD8E-6389296FD845.png

Drain plug removal. A 3/8 extension fits both drain and fill plugs perfectly. Photo credit: MtnBikeAZ1

5D1C4651-BE40-42CE-9704-399F5B778CCC.png

Here is what the old transmission fluid looked like after 18k miles. Pretty dirty. Reinstall the drain plug with a new 20mm crush washer and add 2.2 to 2.3 quarts of new transmission fluid of your choice. CTR compatible.

6A76A46A-64A0-43CD-94F1-9E87EE6D5D7B.jpeg

I would add to his instructions (because someone pointed it out to me) is the need to open the side check bolt and top off the fluid until it seeps back out... then you will be sure to have the 2.3 quarts the Type R is calling for. The side check bolt is a 10mm.

D0B9B26C-CB69-401A-AE7E-3189DC7A28A3.jpeg

The squirt tube is a perfect fit for the side check opening to top off until it seeps back out. It also has a smaller tip extension and I switched to that towards the end. There are similar ones for sale on Amazon.

2778A3B2-2E09-4F28-AFED-3376ED001B3A.jpeg

Topped off the transmission fluid until it started to drain back out..then reinstalled the check plug. Though a new 6mm crush washer is preferred, I re-used the old one, as it’s on the side and not as critical as the drain plug. I’ve since re-checked and no leaks.

89FB838D-BCB5-4BFF-9309-2CF090DCB0F5.png

This is the amount that went in. I’d estimate about 0.1 L. Was expecting to use the entire 0.3L but that was it. I might try topping it off again in a few days to make sure.

The plastic tip extension is pictured.
What’s the torque specs of the fill in plug, drain plug, and fluid check bolt?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm I just tighten them by feel. Searched the net and found 36 ft/lbs for an Accord drain plug.... but would wager most just tighten it nice and snug.

The side check bolt is really more like a screw so it doesn’t take much force.

Not much chance for leakage on the side check bolt or fill plugs

What’s the torque specs of the fill in plug, drain plug, and fluid check bolt?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R DE6F50EB-485C-446B-9F7B-D532F5F740BD
Wanted to thank @Memogiyi for organizing a fun Sunday morning SoCal mountain drive up Big Tujunga Canyon Road, Angeles Forest Hwy, then merging with Angeles Crest Hwy (I think) destination Colby Ranch. :thumbsup:

Was the first time taking the R into the mountains. Still amazes how much grip the car has. Running A052s helps, no doubt, but could see our cars doing well there no matter the tire size or selection.

Our (6) car group drove at a elevated pace, but nothing crazy where it excessively pushed limits or endangered others on the road. Appreciated this.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 3E3A7759-163D-4E99-BF3D-C5ED539AB4AB

When we reached the destination, was pleasantly surprised to find lots of other folks had the same idea. Guess it’s a regular thing to do on the weekends for performance car enthusiasts. Saw lots of Porsches, Camaros, S2000’s, BMWs a few Ferraris and a Mclaren.

Had no idea. 😅

Memogiyi has a SoCal ride thread here in the 10th gen section for any SoCal peeps interested in a future outing. He also posted up a video of the drive.

Was perfectly timed as I’m scheduled for tuning this Thursday.

Thanks again Memogiyi :)

Last edited:

Memogiyi

First Name
Guillermo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
DE6F50EB-485C-446B-9F7B-D532F5F740BD.jpeg
Wanted to thank @Memogiyi for organizing a fun Sunday morning SoCal mountain drive up Big Tujunga Canyon Road, Angeles Forest Hwy, then merging with Angeles Crest Hwy (I think) destination Colby Ranch. :thumbsup:

Was the first time taking the R into the mountains. Still amazes how much grip the car has. Running A052s helps, no doubt, but could see our cars doing well there no matter the tire size or selection.

Our (6) car group drove at a elevated pace, but nothing crazy where it excessively pushed limits or endangered others on the road. Appreciated this.

3E3A7759-163D-4E99-BF3D-C5ED539AB4AB.png

When we reached the destination, was pleasantly surprised to find lots of other folks had the same idea. Guess it’s a regular thing to do on the weekends for performance car enthusiasts. Saw lots of Porsches, Camaros, S2000’s, BMWs a few Ferraris and a Mclaren.

Had no idea. ?

Memogiyi has a SoCal ride thread here in the 10th gen section for any SoCal peeps interested in a future outing. He also posted up a video of the drive.

Was perfectly timed as I’m scheduled for tuning this Thursday.

Thanks again Memogiyi :)
It was my pleasure! Glad I was able to meet you in person. Ive been following your build for some time and seeing your car in person was a treat! Hope we get to go for a canyon run again in the future. Also, my apologizes, I did say Colby Ranch but our destination was actually Newcomb.

Take care! Looking forward to see how the tune comes out and what numbers you make.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
w00t! Pleased to report my car is finally tuned. This was a build goal for 2020 and squeaked it in on the last day of the year?

Big thank you to everyone that got me to this point, because I didn’t know much about getting a car tuned, much less a MoTeC tune. :dunno:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 483D3F9D-9E7C-47E8-B3C7-CF692F3C6246

Ben from Salasko Racing eliminated the odd issues with the Motec ECU base map:
  • Random check oil level warning - fixed
  • Engine deceleration ping - fixed
Ben works with @turbociv910 dialing in his FK8 Motec monster, so the stuff they encountered, helped troubleshoot mine. :bow:

We set an appointment with Chris@Natural Aspirations in Torrance, CA for Ben to perform a remote tune. :cool:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R DCF7EAA0-05E4-4060-9487-E90898104B88

Here is the car connected to a Dynapack with a floor blower....ready to go.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 55C54452-E134-465B-B49E-A7E5A2FD0111

Requested a conservative tune on the advice of @boosted180sx as the car sees track time in addition to the street.

No anti-lag. Yes on traction control.

Here is the Motec power curve Ben dialed in. A very smooth 366 HP in light blue.

Chris transposed it with a Hondata power curve from a previous customer. Red dotted line.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R FA84862D-48BF-487E-97DA-2A365A19A45C

And here is the Motec torque curve. Again a smooth 360 ft/lbs in light blue.

Can see the contrasting Hondata curve from the previous customer.

Was unaware going in, but one of the strengths of a Motec ECU is this ability for the tuner to provide a smooth throttle for predictable response which is important at the track.
Here is a youtube clip of a 4th gear dyno pull from outside the car. Didn’t realize it was this loud, heh.

Ben tuned the car in about an hour. No flashing required. Dyno setup and breakdown was a little longer.

Car feels smooth and quick. However encountered a few issues during real world driving afterwards:
  • Fuel cut in 3rd gear @5k RPM on full throttle. Ben said this is due to the OEM direct injection fuel pump not being able to keep up and that he’ll dial things back a little.
  • Idle RPM occasionally hangs at 1300 RPM instead of 800.
  • Check engine light flashes under full throttle.
Good news is Ben says these are easy fixes and he’ll reconnect tomorrow to resolve. :headbang:

May look to the fueling solutions @turbociv910 is implementing for a possible future project. Have been following his awesome build thread here :bow:

Last edited:

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
w00t! Pleased to report my car is finally tuned. This was a build goal for 2020 and squeaked it in on the last day of the year?

Big thank you to everyone that got me to this point, because I didn’t know much about getting a car tuned, much less a Motec tune. :dunno:

483D3F9D-9E7C-47E8-B3C7-CF692F3C6246.jpeg

Ben from Salasko Racing eliminated the odd issues with the Motec ECU base map:
  • Random check oil level warning - fixed
  • Engine deceleration ping - fixed
Ben works with @turbociv910 dialing in his FK8 Motec monster, so the stuff they encountered, helped troubleshoot mine. :bow:

We set an appointment with Chris@Natural Aspirations in Torrance, CA to allow Ben to remote tune. :cool:

DCF7EAA0-05E4-4060-9487-E90898104B88.jpeg

Here is the car connected to a Dynapack with a floor blower....ready to go.

55C54452-E134-465B-B49E-A7E5A2FD0111.png

Requested a conservative tune on the advice of @boosted180sx as the car sees track time in addition to the street.

No anti-lag. Yes on traction control.

Here is the Motec power curve Ben dialed in. A very smooth 366 HP in light blue.

Chris transposed it with a Hondata power curve from a previous customer. Red dotted line.

FA84862D-48BF-487E-97DA-2A365A19A45C.png

And here is the Motec torque curve. Again a smooth 360 ft/lbs in light blue.

Can see the contrasting Hondata curve from the previous customer.

Was unaware going in, but one of the strengths of a Motec ECU is this ability for the tuner to provide a smooth throttle for predictable response which is important at the track.
Here is a youtube clip of a 4th gear dyno pull from outside the car. Didn’t realize it was this loud, heh.

Ben tuned the car in about an hour. No flashing required. Dyno setup and breakdown was a little longer.

Car feels smooth and quick. However encountered a few issues during real world driving afterwards:
  • Fuel cut in 3rd gear @5k RPM on full throttle. Ben said this is due to the OEM direct injection fuel pump not being able to keep up and that he’ll dial things back a little.
  • Idle RPM occasionally hangs at 1300 RPM instead of 800.
  • Check engine light flashes under full throttle.
Good news is Ben says these are easy fixes and he’ll reconnect tomorrow to resolve. :headbang:

May look to the fueling solutions @turbociv910 is implementing for a possible future project. Have been following his awesome build thread here :bow:
I wouldn’t keep the same Hondata power band. If anything move the peak power a little later to maybe around 4k or so rpm

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D7ECC0B1-83D0-4044-AE85-1C0E53A50B63

Connected with Salasko Racing today and all of the issues encountered on the post-dyno road test were addressed.

Ben confirmed the OEM HPFP being inadequate for the level of boost the tune was calling for. The cutoff was the MoTeC safeguards input to keep me out of trouble.

He dialed things back a little and now able to go all out without issue. Hence the curves above are probably no longer exact, but not too far off.

The real test will be when the car is pushed hard at the track. Thinking of going 2/21/21 Big Willow with the Alfa Romeo club and some buddies.

Have between now and then to drive and see if anything else needs tweaking.

**update** installed an XDI HPFP and modded the HP fuel line to 5/64” in March 2022 Salasko Racing re-upped the tune and the car rips now.

I wouldn’t keep the same Hondata power band. If anything move the peak power a little later to maybe around 4k or so rpm

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks AlphaDigital. I’m a complete n00b when it comes to engine tuning so am relying on the expertise of others.

Sounds silly, but my initial interest in Motec was to properly run the HKS BOV. :rolleyes:

The smooth power and torque response is a plus as are the engine safeguards.

Mentioned wanting to add an Aim Solo 2 DL and Smarty cam at some point and Salasko Racing lmk Motec can also perform those functions (with additional accessories).

Currently have level 2 data-logging. Will upgrade to level 3 at some point for track use, per Ben’s recommendation.

Congrats, nice numbers. Its nice to see how smooth the motec works!

Last edited:

AlphaDigital

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic
Country flag
Thanks AlphaDigital. I’m a complete n00b when it comes to engine tuning so am relying on the expertise of others.

Sounds silly, but my initial interest in Motec was to properly run the HKS BOV. :rolleyes:

The smooth power and torque response is a plus as are the engine safeguards.

Mentioned wanting to add an Aim Solo 2 DL and Smarty cam at some point and Salasko Racing lmk Motec can also perform those functions (with additional accessories).

Currently have level 2 data-logging. Will upgrade to level 3 at some point for track use, per Ben’s recommendation.
thats one hell of a purchase to run a BOV if you ask me haha

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
i actually have my idle at 1100.. always preferred a high idle.. makes it easy to drive in my opinion

I dont have the video system, but i have seen some videos from the cars he works on.. its pretty sweet when overlaying the data log real time

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 13EA3668-9E34-4889-B2CE-74C392B1B6F3

Not much to report, other than still ironing out kinks from switching to the Motec ECU. Routine is to drive, identify any issues then connect with Salasko Racing to address. Definitely don’t want any problems when driving hard at the track.

A couple issues identified:
  • Car stalled when downshifting from 5th to 2nd. Exited the freeway off ramp then attempted to make a right turn at about 15 mph. Had to limp to the center divide. Ben explained the cause was Motec sees our shifter as sequential (it’s not) and cut out due to the ECU making a false calculation. Ben fixed this by turning traction control off below 25 mph. He sent a trouble ticket to Motec so they can fix on a future update.
  • Experienced an engine cut out in 5th gear under hard acceleration @5k RPM. Will be connecting with Ben to dial the tune back a little more. The limitations of the OEM fuel system has been abit disappointing. Will be looking to improve this at some point.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 67DE131B-A9D6-446E-A273-3EEB4EB95D08

This is what the datalog display looks like on the laptop. Being a n00b, it doesn’t make much sense when I watch Ben remotely read data and perform adjustments. He’s super quick and it seems like watching someone perform magic, heh.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 6AD6EE15-B564-4A97-88D3-7C43CF9374FE
Am watching with interest to see how the new XDI high pressure fuel pump performs for others. If it works well, likely will follow suit so can ask Ben to crank the tune back up to where it was :)

Last edited:

Storageshedd

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R, 2018 Toyota Tacoma OR, 2010 Suzuki GSXR 600
Country flag
Very enjoyable 44 page read.
Thank you for all of the time and effort you have put into this thread.

I was curious if you ever figured out the check engine light issue you were having with the downpipe and the 2nd O2 sensor? You may have said in previous posts, but it took me a few weeks to read through everything so I may have missed it.
I have a PLR catless downpipe and PLR front pipe and was finally able to get the rich fuel code to go away after trying multiple different defoulers with no great success until I tried this one off of ebay, using the medium restrictor plate.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/O2-Oxygen-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I put it in to start with, reflashed, and it came back with in 20 miles, checked the codes, nothing actually showing, tightened down the sensor and defouler. Kept driving, and it went away, and has been gone for over 400 miles.

If you already solved this issue, sorry to waste your time, I just was excited to get rid of mine, and remembered you were having issues with it.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R B9535954-864E-49D2-AF2D-593136038BAB

Had the license plate fasteners powder coated matte black to match the black California Legacy plates...

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 3E9634D0-82CA-47C0-B6F2-E8FCD3923384
And switched to a new personalized plate that describes me to a tee. ?

Plus was a little uncomfortable rocking RUTUNED as that might be asking for a state referral from the?‍♂, heh.

The DMV dude was cool and let me keep my RUTUNED plates in case I want to swap at the track, so wasn’t a total waste. ?

To followup on the Motec engine cutout in 5th @5k RPM, Ben increased the boost warning setting and didn’t need to scale the power back any further. :thumbsup: