Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R EB3357B5-7158-4325-A76B-0E375D7CE238

With the factory ECU removed and new O2 sensor installed, was time to assemble and install the Motec FK8 kit. Was totally excited :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D0C4EFC6-BE86-462A-B7FF-33068B2BF362

Removed these (2) bolts and (2) nuts from the factory ECU using the 10mm socket and ratchet.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R ED05D45C-7E4D-4995-B4B7-D037D4FEF870

Factory ECU separated from the bracket holder, which will be needed by the Motec.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0EB964B3-CEAB-4A36-9860-C5125C78A70E

Connect the LTC to the Motec breakout loom and plug into the adapter box.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A832CA44-D7C0-4ABA-916B-524B69167F25

Set the Motec adapter box onto the factory ECU bracket.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 89289719-E30C-4045-90A5-9B3ED38919AA

Re-install (1) bolt and (2) nuts that were removed from the factory ECU. There wasn’t room to get a socket on, so used a 10mm combo.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R C894EEC6-7ECC-489B-988D-79ECC67D5FE1

Connect stub looms A, B, C and D to the adapter box in this order.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 83E1FDFF-3424-4EEC-AE20-DB0B824D27B4

Place the Motec 142 ECU onto the adapter box and secure with the (3) provided kit bolts and secure with an Allen wrench. Don’t overtighten

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R B63AEC3A-14B9-47C0-AA2A-8A3F2E7492E3

Connect the other ends of the stub looks to the Motec ECU. It’s now ready to drop in.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R EC81054D-C38B-4A86-97EB-CA92F002BAA7

Gently lower it. Do not to let any wires get snagged.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 950AD4B0-937B-4AC3-9E6F-F3554EF79262

The wirIng stub looms are curled under the ECU, need to be careful not to pinch them when reinstalling the (2) bolts that secure the bracket.

Best to pre-install this bolt onto the bracket before lowering it, so it doesn’t drop and fall.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 41E9D588-96BC-4663-9B44-95C261BC6D6F

Reattach the MAF wire to the bracket, unless decide to delete.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 05AB7101-7274-4FFC-B78D-38BCA4B854A9

Reconnect the (2) ECU harnesses and tuck the ethernet communication cable here.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A73ABB7E-80F7-4FB4-A6E3-84049BA294E8

Route and connect the LTC to the primary O2 sensor.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R B096E9F7-02D2-4D29-A073-953E710CA989
Zip tie the LTC box and wiring. The instructions said to route behind the airbox.

@turbociv910 routed his wiring in front. I will likely do the same.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 452C0B3A-095D-4321-8FF0-7B1700073AB4

Motec 142 FK8 AU Kit installed and Eventuri silicone hose adapter back in place. :)

Wow, that was easier that anticipated, time for a test drive...

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 48FCF54A-0D55-4591-BF66-C28ED26B3820

With the car back together, took a midday cruise to Whittier to get some new tires from a very cool place called “R Compound”. There is just room for 1 car, so it’s by appointment only.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 6DB8A478-DE57-4FA2-AA64-B39197C43180

Was after a set of Yokohama A052s in 265-35-18 and they had them in stock. Have heard good things about these tires and it’s nice they are non-directional for when it’s time to rotate them. The downside is they are said to wear even faster than the RE71Rs. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 917EA6FE-570E-4822-87B5-9116028DF89C

Tires filled to 35 psi. The guys that work there are all Japanese import car track junkies. :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 58F7A001-3D40-4DF5-B86D-9D463BA90389
They raised the car manually and removed the titanium lugs by hand, instead of using an impact gun... which I appreciated :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 824E8E8C-F861-44CE-AEF4-491C6B191472
(2) of the rear RE71R’s still had a good amount of tread remaining. Will save for future use. Check out all the rubber goo left over from the last track day @Big Willow :oops:

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 51A4DBEE-43F3-417C-B589-A4AD0BAE4843

Motec instructions state their FK8 kit comes with a base map tune, ready to drive until able to get a proper tune...

Drove the car to work, to get tires and back, then home. Not the smartest of ideas, but had a compressed schedule to get all of this done with the Friday dyno/E-Tuning appointment.:drive:

Everything was proceeding according to plan.... then the car started driving funny: :doh:

• Noticed the check engine light would flash whenever the accelerator was pressed. No CEL however. Ben let me know this is normal. Just Motec’s way of telling the user they need a real tune.
  • The engine developed a loud “ticking” sound when idling in the parking lot. Turned the car off then on again. Ticking went away. This happened a 2nd time at a stop light. Turned the car off and on again and the sound stopped.
  • While driving home taking the streets, noticed a single “ping” soundevery time the car would decelerate.
  • Idle would intermittently drop from 800 to about 700 rpm, which made me suspect the BOV install might have incurred a slight boost leak
  • Couldn’t switch between driving modes. Car was stuck in Sport mode.

Needless to say, it was a little unnerving and discouraging. ?

Wasn’t confident I could get the issues resolved in time for Friday, so reached out and postponed the Dyno/E-Tuning appointment. Didn’t want to wait til the last moment and cause them to miss potential bookings.

Lesson learned: make sure your car is running good before scheduling a tune. :doh:
That said, I didn’t expect any issues. ?

Could the problem be the infamous HKS BOV, the Motec or the new O2 sensor? Car ran great before doing the double mod, which is why I should have tested the car’s operation with just the BOV first, verified all was good, then added the Motec. ? But was up against a time crunch.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 385D3C45-1888-47EB-8C1A-EBD01BC94962

The easiest and obvious troubleshooting move, was to pull the Motec and reinstall the stock ECU.

Wife’s been complaining how much time I spend tinkering with car... So took the night off, even though knowing the car wasn’t “right” was killing my inner OCD Rainman. :banghead:

But taking the night off let my mind clear and woke up @3am refreshed.

Crept out like a Christmas elf (an ugly one), got my tools. setup a light and took care of business :headbang:

All of the issues disappeared once back on the stock ECU. It’s a huge relief identifying the problem and knowing it will be resolved soon, with some remote tweaks and an E-Tune :cool:

Just wanted to thank Ben @Salasko Racing through this process. He’s been super patient and quick to respond to questions and had offered to look at the Motec shelf tune to see if tweaks were needed before my taking it out :bow:... but I was rushing to knock things out as my next track day is Saturday Oct 31 @Willow Springs and was hoping to cram all this in time for that.

Ben will link up through my laptop and take a look to see what’s going on after the Motec goes back on. Won’t drive the car again with the M142 until that’s done.

There is still a chance I’ll be tuned in time for Willow Springs... We’ll see. ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Haha will do. Thanks Kefi for the kind words of encouragement. Really appreciate the great work you’ve done compiling the FK8 mod list and keeping it up to date. That is an epic thread. Thank you! :bow:

Yes, have posted a boatload of bandwidth hogging DIY step by step for every mod performed. Even though brands may differ, the concepts should be the same.

This thread has become a useful reference for me at least, and hopefully others as well :)

There is a table of contents with clickable hyperlinks for each mod at the bottom of of the first post of this thread here

Will also cut and paste below:

Table of Contents:

ENGINE/DRIVETRAIN:
COOLING MODS:
SUSPENSION/WHEELS/BRAKES:
  • Girodisc brake pads Post #9
  • Rear brake pad and caliper change. Post #11, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17
  • Sakebomb SST brakelines Post #18, #192
  • Brake Safety tip when downsizing from 20’s to 18’s Post #91
  • Gyrodisc front rotors and Front pad change Post #19, #20, #21, #22, #33
  • Brake Bleeding Sequence Post #23
  • Brake bleeding (1) person method w/Speedi-bleed Post #476
  • Brake Bedding Procedure Post #23
  • wheel lug torque specs Post #23
  • Rays/Volk TE37SL 18 x 9.5 +45 pressed double black Post #66, #75, #77, #88, #93, #147, #217
  • Project Kics Iconix M14 x 1.5 Black lugs Post #69, #88, #147
  • Woolies and wheel cleaning Post #80, #217
  • Kics Koyo el hub centric rings Post #91
  • Bridgestone RE71R 265-35-18 Post #88, #92, #199, #203, #311
  • Rays center caps and wheel adapters Post #220
  • J’s Racing titanium wheel lugs Post #340
  • JRZ RS Pro coilovers w/ quick disconnect rear reservoir hoses **ready to install**
  • HKS error cancellers **ready to install**
  • RV6 Compliance Mount **ready to install**
  • RV6 Rear Sway Bar With Billet Endlinks**ready to install**
  • RV6 Rear Camber Arm **ready to install**
  • RV6 Rear Toe Control Arms **ready to install**
EXTERIOR:
INTERIOR:
MAINTENANCE TASKS
TRACKDAY RELATED:
MISC:
  • Get your Civic Owner’s Manual Post #179
  • EZ Car Lift w/extension ramp and xm69 Post #274

good lord I don't think anyone's posted as many pics of installations as you have @fatherpain

keep it up bro

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry V3 haven’t been able to get a good recording yet. I think I’d need to enlist one of my sons as co-pilot to do so....

My wife is totally out of the question. She hates riding in my car. Have to drive like I’m ferrying a grandma or a couple cartons of eggs when she comes along.:thumbsdown:

Can report first impressions however.

For some reason there is a noticeable difference in the HKS BOV sound when the car is on the stock ECU, vs Motec. Both untuned.

On the stock ECU, it sounds good, but it’s not an overwhelming sound. I’m using the purple insert, so it’s not a high pitched whistle...it’s a lower pitch. The engine sounds louder under boost and there is “fushh” sound when let up on the accelerator. Pretty cool ?

Paired with Motec it’s outstanding. Much louder and deeper sounding for some reason. rather more of a “fwush” sound, if that makes sense.. That said, keep in mind I had to remove the Motec because of ticks and pings so something isn’t right yet.

Will have a better idea once the Motec is back in and tuned.

Will try to catch some sound on the stock ECU for comparison before that happens :)

sound clips of the new BOV?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 79F7E174-914A-4B23-AFAC-4E8EEB45FF58
Pardon the dirty car. Haven’t washed since the last track day. Slacking a bit, heh.

Here’s an easy, low stress item for change. Ditching spray painted and painters tape track numbers. Now that I’ll be tracking the car on a semi-regular basis, gotta start looking like I belong there ?

Picked up a set of magnetic numbers from Spinnywhoosh.com and quality seems really good.

Was going to go with one of my son’s soccer jersey numbers: 98 or 99... but it would have led to resentment by the son I didn’t pick and didn’t want to have to buy (2) ?.

#39 is in honor of one of my favorite Miami Dolphin players of all time: Larry Czonka. :bow:

Was gonna go with a rectangular design, but read somewhere the circular ones hold better and are less likely to fly off. Will secure the leading edge with clear shipping tape at the track :)

Last edited:

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
  • while driving home taking the streets, noticed a single “ping” soundevery time the car would decelerate

the ping is the deceleration fuel cut off, changes were made to mine to get rid of the audible "pop"..def noticed it too with the ecu and not on stock ecu.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks Taylor, that had me worried. Will reinstall the Motec Saturday night. Going to route the wiring to the O2 sensor in front of the airbox like you did. So much cleaner.

Did you encounter the “tick tick tick tick” engine noise also?

Ben will remotely check things out Sunday morning. With any luck, will able to arrange for a dyno tune soon after.

the ping is the deceleration fuel cut off, changes were made to mine to get rid of the audible "pop"..def noticed it too with the ecu and not on stock ecu.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Thanks Taylor, that had me worried. Will reinstall the Motec Saturday night. Going to route the wiring to the O2 sensor in front of the airbox like you did. So much cleaner.

Did you encounter the “tick tick tick tick” engine noise also?

Ben will remotely check things out Sunday morning. With any luck, will able to arrange for a dyno tune soon after.
My package didnt have the fans set up, the condenser pressure was high (from no cooling) and the ac compressor turned on and off every second. Got the fans working and the clutch engaged and dis engaged normally. If youve downloaded your package, send it to me i can check those.. are simple to check. Key on engine off, plug in cable to laptop/motec cable. open m1 tune software, file>open ecu, select the ecu (the only one you see) once it comes up you will see the main fuel map and sensors on the left.. coolant temp etc. Once u see that click file>export package and save to desktop or some known location. should take 2 minutes.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Here’s a couple sound clip attempts. Hard to record solo and the phone was in my shifter hand, so not at ear level. Will do some more once the Motec is back in. Definitely thought it sounded better with it, unless I’m going cuckoo. :crazy:

Windows slightly cracked. Stock ECU untuned.

For best simulation, connect phone to FK8 stereo and listen at a volume of about 22-24.

Or AirPod Pros max volume.

Sound mods:
  • HKS BOV w/Purple insert
  • Dream High Flow Catted DP
  • RV6 FP
  • Eventuri V2 + CF inlet tube
  • Sequence Exhaust
  • Wagner FMIC
  • Vented hood
  • Hasport RMM 62A
Sound clip 1:

Sound clip 2:

sound clips of the new BOV?

Last edited:

V3N0M_VZL4

First Name
Mauricio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic SI
Country flag
Here’s a couple sound clip attempts. Hard to record solo and the phone was in my shifter hand, so not at ear level. Will do some more once the Motec is back in. Definitely thought it sounded better with it, unless I’m going cuckoo. :crazy:

Windows slightly cracked. Stock ECU untuned.

For best simulation, connect phone to your FK8 stereo and listen at a volume of about 22-24.

Or AirPod Pros max volume.

Sound mods:
  • HKS BOV w/Purple insert
  • Dream High Flow Catted DP
  • RV6 FP
  • Eventuri V2 + CF inlet tube
  • Sequence Exhaust
  • Wagner FMIC
  • Vented hood
  • Hasport RMM 62A
Sound clip 1:

Sound clip 2:
?Good sound dude congrats I hope with the motec will be better.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reinstalled the Motec ECU and connected with tuner Ben Salasko Sunday @530a PST.

Tethered our family laptop to the Motec ethernet communication port, then Ben was able to assume control via a nifty program called Team Viewer.

Always a trip seeing someone remotely operating your computer. :coffee:
  • Check engine light intermittent flash 95% resolved
  • Loud “ticking” sound when idling or driving very slowly. Resolved
  • Idle running higher than normal @950rpm. Resolved
  • Idle intermittent drop from 800 to about 700 rpm, indicating slight boost leak. No leak detected and issue cleared. Resolved
  • Car stuck in Sport mode. Resolved
  • Deceleration “ping” which occurs at various rpms and speeds when slowing down and sometimes at constant speed. Ongoing. Ran out of time to diagnose and correct. Ongoing
Made good progressI am totally unfamiliar with Motec’s tuning software (and automotive tuning in general), so watching Ben zip along and make changes was like a blur and difficult to comprehend.

Attempted to resolve the stubborn deceleration ping, which wouldn’t go away. Drove and called Ben to provide feedback after each round of tweaks.

Boosted180sx messenged inquiring how things were going then suggested connecting the laptop to the internet via my phone’s hotspot. :bow:

Ben then monitored the car’s performance and made changes in real time while I drove and simulated the condition.. Super cool stuff. :cool:

Unfortunately, we ran out of time, so will resume troubleshooting the deceleration ping sometime next week when Ben fulfills a prior commitment and has time to dive into it again. Can hardly wait.

Did confirm the HKS BOV does indeed sound different with the untuned Motec ECU.

In the meantime, will reinstall the stock ECU for this weekend’s track day @Willow Springs.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

ehernandez

First Name
Estevan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-T Cosmic Blue Metallic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I love the attention to detail. I look in my Car Journal the next day and it is like, "Installed RMM, was kind of a pain and I hurt my thumb with the mallet".

Keep up the good work and keep sharing all the knowledge!

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 68865022-A6C7-4189-A10E-56E6A24EE314

When I first began modding this car, one item that caught my attention was the BMSPEC ducktail spoiler extension.

However, BMSPEC closed their web shop and moved onto other endeavors so I missed out and have wanted one ever since. :doh:

As luck would have it, @Cowtyper listed one locally for sale. New and unused and I was fortunate to snag it.

Didn’t come with instructions so did a web search, posted queries to the FB FK8 Track and Main group pages and emailed BMSPEC’s owner Brian Matsuda and received the information needed. :bow:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A7077F33-B2D6-41B0-8DCA-8B3B4E6BEDED

The BMSPEC ducktail comes with (4) aluminum mounting brackets and screws.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 34DBBDAC-C18D-426D-8D51-6D9319C952FF

The brackets attach to the duckbill like this. The material is similar to plexiglass, which was a little surprising. Flexible but tough. The finish was a raw matte black/gray.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R AF6FC681-095E-4318-B479-7BA21A32DB7F

Fixed that by powder coating the brackets and bolting hardware gloss black, to match the rear hatch trim. Primo Powder Coating in Huntington Beach do a fantastic job every time :headbang:

Also took the ducktail to Aerowerkz in City of Industry to get wrapped in STEK CF. Looks so much better and will match the Voltex 2V wing. :love:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BFC665EB-C484-45FD-86F0-E00DFFF9B136

Used a hand file to remove excess Powder coat from the bolts so they would sit flush when installed.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1FD974EE-99F0-4D97-BD88-5E2391D73146

Attached the brackets to the ducktail. Applied some Loctite thread locker then tightened using a 3mm Allen.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D8BA0DBC-154E-4C93-8F97-EFC8ACC745BF

Brackets mounted. Ducktail ready to install :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R B2BBB1AE-8FCB-4265-B927-41CCFA6F1FB9

These are the tools needed for the install:
  • Loctite threadlocker
  • Pick to mark holes
  • Cordless drill with 5/32” drill bit
  • 3mm and 5mm sucked and ratchet

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R E46733A6-D97A-4F6D-9A11-1119397FD552

And a buddy to hold the ducktail in place. Made sure everything was centered then marked each hole using the pick.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 75157AEF-60D5-473B-B5E2-023525E7AC03

Drilled each hole using a low speed setting and gentle pressure.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R F45D684C-24FC-4FBC-9989-0FF94CDCCEC9

All (4) holes drilled.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0120EA7A-E3A8-4585-9553-EBCED3B1896E

Applied Loctite to the threads and carefully installed each bolt using the 5mm Allen.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R CCD26811-0974-4867-B6A3-12764D2C596E

Voila! BMSPEC ducktail extension installed. :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R AFD57F70-AC65-411F-A04A-3E5D4374209A

View from the rear. Unfortunately the ducktail didn’t include a BMSPEC sticker. Reached out again to Brian Matsuda and he is taking time out of his busy schedule to send one. Very much appreciated. :bow:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R CE323201-6189-45D9-81FA-1A23F6238A0B

Side view.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A5DAAADE-39C0-44F0-8F85-47F76D6E3D2D

The gloss black powder coated brackets are an exact match to the car.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 7BA6C376-56DB-425A-8BEF-EDB8D1CE46CB

Another angle.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 32210378-6553-44E3-8E2E-22F5319E5C4D
Mirror view from the inside of the car. The ducktail obscures vision slightly.. enough that I’ll have to be careful.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 3CABED18-EA63-42C3-BE41-04D2386E94EF

Despite that, am pleased with how it turned out. Need to get it ceramic coated then will be all done. :thumbsup:

Last edited: