taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
that CR piece is nice!! Ive only seen those aluminum crush rings on large 16an/20an hoses.. even then not on all of them. Quality piece they provide with the HKS
Sponsored

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 85F9E7C1-F275-4B3B-B3BB-D2AE19DFDE37

Funny story about these 10AN fitting aluminum conical seals... while trying to figure out why the C&R core wouldn’t fit the HKS hardware, I inadvertently kneeled on and smashed the conical seals from the old core placed on the ground. :doh:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 22CC1118-35BB-4364-9CD6-2110CBF224F9

AN fittings seem to be somewhat hard to come by, but located a store in Lawndale that stocked them called “Earl’s Performance Products”. Seemed like such a throwback. Boarded up window and all....Gotta love it. 🤣

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0CC0E2B8-5E30-48E3-A4E0-081890EF7209

While the store looked shabby from the outside, the inside was all business. They had tons of fancy plumbing and hydraulic type fittings.

The guy behind the counter....Assumed to be “Earl”, was a no-nonsense character. Knew his stuff, retrieved the seals I was after in about (5) seconds....or faster than our Type R’s 0-60 and rang me out.

Well, in case anyone hasn’t guessed from these posts, I like talking to people. Complimented “Earl” how cool the store was and asked what other neat stuff they had for sale....

“Earl” replied:

“Our catalog is on our website....Look, I’ve got work to do.”

Translation: “GTFOH” 😂

that CR piece is nice!! Ive only seen those aluminum crush rings on large 16an/20an hoses.. even then not on all of them. Quality piece they provide with the HKS

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you kimtyson. One goal is to make each DIY as clear as possible for those wishing to perform similar mods or maintenance... and maybe provide a chuckle or 2 along the way ;)

A little worried the revamped C&R core won’t arrive in time for the next track day 10/11/20 @Big Willow. Gonna be close.

Another excellent post with lots of great pics and explanation. (I'm happy that you didn't make a liquid mess.) This is a very entertaining and educational thread. Thanks. And, I trust all will work out with the new cooler. It looks very promising.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does anyone know how to back up or save the content of this thread, in the (unlikely) event something bad ever were to happen to CivicX?

Our family computer was recently hit by a nasty virus which resulted in a wiped hard drive and we lost some family photos and videos. A hard lesson learned to back stuff up. ?

Thought it might be a good idea to print a hard copy of the information and photos contained here, that could scan and upload, if the need ever were to arise.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D1098306-BD6A-4BA9-BB10-2B97A866A652

Was surprised however to find printing (1) of these forum pages, produces any where from 80 to 116 pages ?.

And while some are blank filler pages, it’s still enough to easily fill a 3-ring binder. Multiply that by (37) pages (and counting) and that’s something like 5,000 papers, 37 binders + the space to store it ?

Anyone know of an easier, smarter solution? Please let this caveman know...Thank you in advance :)

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I looked at this yesterday based on a comment you made. Wanted to give you a nice surprise of a file with all of your thread included. However, I could not find a solution that worked. If you found a way to print, instead of printing to paper do a print to pdf and save the pages as electronic files. Maybe someone will have an answer. You'd think it would be possible.

BoostinIX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SI Sedan
Country flag
Does anyone know how to back up or save the content of this thread, in the (unlikely) event something bad ever were to happen to CivicX?

Anyone know of an easier, smarter solution? Please let this caveman know...Thank you in advance :)
Print to PDF is a good option.

Can also try right clicking on the page, save as HTML.

Last edited:

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Can also try right clicking on the page, save as HTML.
I did try the save as html but it only saves the page you're are on so you'd have to create 37 files, which could work. Just be sure to save every page.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks kimtyson and BoostinIX for investigating and giving some options. Found can save to PDF, but only if do it in sections or ranges, but not the entire page in a single shot. Printing seems the most accurate, but having papers upon papers seems so old school, :rolleyes:

But I’ll probably do both, as it would be a shame if one day all information on the forums were somehow lost.

I did try the save as html but it only saves the page you're are on so you'd have to create 37 files, which could work. Just be sure to save every page.

Last edited:

brownman

Driving a car in the land of the truck
First Name
eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 honda civic lx sedan
Country flag
Thanks kimtyson and BoostinIX for investigating and giving some options. Found can save to PDF, but only if do it in sections or ranges, but not the entire page in a single shot. Printing seems the most accurate, but having papers upon papers seems so old school, :rolleyes:

But I’ll probably do both, as it would be a shame if one day all information on the forums were somehow lost.
print then scan everything as a back up digitally

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 3A791E91-74AF-40C1-8EB6-6124B3424D89
Took the plunge a little while back, on the “Vit” Viper Motec kit from VMR Performance along with a wiring harness from their partner BL Performance.

didn’t realize Motec also offers a dedicated FK8 kit until reading @turbociv910 ’s awesome high level build thread here. Highly recommend checking it out if haven’t seen it already.:headbang:

The heart of both kits is a Motec 142 ECU and do the same thing, though “Vit’s” offers “no lift shifting” which may be very desireable for big power builds and racing from a dig.

Parted ways with the “Vit” kit, new, never installed at a sizable loss. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R CC7BC6C4-4C4D-4AA7-ADD3-18127FCA799C

Appreciate @turbociv910 for taking time to answer questions and for his recommendation of Salasko Racing, where I procured this kit and look forward to receiving a remote tune from. :)

The advantage of the Motec AU kit is the modular design for a much cleaner install...which is big for an OCD weirdo such as myself :rolleyes:

The kit comes pre-loaded with a base map tune, which is supposed to be equivalent to or slightly better than OEM. Theoretically could install it and start driving around.

**update**
found while you can do so, your tuner will need to make preliminary adjustments as soon as possible as there are minor glitches in the included package

For a proper tune, will need to purchase a laptop and rent a dyno. However, prior to that, will install a new O2 sensor and HKS BOV.

When it comes to Motec and tuning in general, I am a super n00b and know very little, so it’s abit daunting. Hoping things become clearer the more I read, watch webinars and ask questions. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 2758AEDE-6766-4B23-A555-6DE2AD1FFF08

Had the day off, so detoured from an uneventful Costco trip to check out a shop called Winding Road Racing.

My older son is always on my case to buy clothes, but I’m just a jeans and t-shirt dad and will wear what I have until it literally falls apart. ?

Would rather spend on car parts, track days, food, and.... a good pair of racing gloves and shoes for the track:drive:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1711708C-7C95-4E08-9192-3E2108D74F09

Have been using regular leather work gloves at the track and they’ve been... ok. Picked up a pair of Alpinestars racing gloves. Was skeptical, but they fit perfect and are very soft and pliable. Looking forward to trying them on my next track day 10/11/20 :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R F8A6916F-67BA-45A8-B93E-2419786B4EB3

Check out the grip and they are breathable, so no sweaty hands. Slightly preferred the feel of these over the Sparco gloves. Was tempted to go darker, but the sales guy said white would be easier for other drivers to see when giving a point-by.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 60D2E046-92ED-40D9-A577-88EE4A1C8D90

Also snagged a matching pair of driving shoes. Like the gloves, the are very pliable and comfortable.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R AFEA7F53-211F-4FC4-B16C-C071A1198F52
The soles are made to grip the pedals and not for walking around in. Will bring regular shoes when outside the car.

These may come in handy for heel-toeing... but I struggle with the concept and technique. Maybe someday...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This round of attempted mods hasn’t quite panned out as hoped... had expectations there may be obstacles and was correct. :confused:

Here is the current status of outstanding projects:
  • C&R oil cooler core upgrade. Corrected core should arrive Friday, in time to install for an outing at Big Willow this Sunday. Ironically, signed up for the event after yanking off the HKS core... then found the new core didn't fit. Props to Cory and C&R hustling to make the necessary corrections and doing their best to deliver it in time. :bow:
  • Motec AU FK8 kit - New laptop arrived today... Our old one died several years ago and with most things able to be done with just a phone, have made due ever since. However a laptop is needed for Motec and datalogging. Side benefit is my oldest son can use it for distance learning. The laptop his school provided is subpar, to put it nicely. Plan to install the Motec next week and run the base map until able to rent a dyno and be remote tuned by Salasko Racing. Will order and install a new Eventuri air filter and a new O2 sensor prior to the tune.
  • HKS Blow Off Valve - ready to install. Will go on before the Motec ECU is installed. Will ask the tuner for a speed density tune (whatever that means) so will run properly and not adversely affect the car.
  • JRZ RS Pro Coilovers - After corresponding at length with Chris@JRZ, decided to move forward with them. Ordered a JRZ gauge/fill tool and will purchase a small nitrogen bottle. These items are needed for the installation. WIll also need EZ Car Lift ground clearance accessories for when the car is dropped an inch.
  • RV6 Suspension gear (various) - Printed all the instructions and have in a (3) ring binder to refer to during install. The suspension items likely will be installed the same time as the coilovers. After everything is installed, will take the car to West End Alignment in Gardena.
Have spent this week making sure the car is mechanically sound for the track. Found and replaced a missing bolt on the Eventuri charge pipe and secured a hold down that came loose. bled the brakes using the Speedibleed and cleaned out the car. All that's left is to install the C&R core, add oil, reinstall the front bumper, the last wheel and wash the car. Hopefully the core will arrive in time to start Friday and not have to do it all Saturday night. ;)

Last edited:

circuit.heart

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport (Si converted), '94 525i x2
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The BOV could just be recirculated into the TIP - there is absolutely no downside to this, not like the HKS isn't loud anyways even fully recirculated. Recirc helps with transient response, it's the first thing I hate when driving a VTA car.

turbociv910

First Name
taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SGP Civic Type R, Audi Q5
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
The BOV could just be recirculated into the TIP - there is absolutely no downside to this, not like the HKS isn't loud anyways even fully recirculated. Recirc helps with transient response, it's the first thing I hate when driving a VTA car.
You're right, it does help, but Motec au is the only package that maintains the bov(and evap) solenoid operation. The bov won't open unless it meets programmed settings, similar to oem operation. But no negative effects since it will no longer use the maf for fueling calculations.??

Fatherpain, the motec package is setup for speed density out of the box! You Can remove your maf like I did or keep it for datalogging.. the maf is calibrated so it will give you a true reading on air mass and turbo inlet temp

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That is excellent Taylor, thank you for letting me know... Was unaware that is how it comes. All I knew was Motec was needed for the HKS BOV ?

In that case, will try to tackle the Motec and HKS BOV next week.... Provided I survive Sunday’s return trip to Big Willow.
(Went off last time @95 mph on turn 2) :doh:

Apologies in advance, Taylor, if start spamming Motec related questions to your inbox. :bow:

Fatherpain, the motec package is setup for speed density out of the box! You Can remove your maf like I did or keep it for datalogging.. the maf is calibrated so it will give you a true reading on air mass and turbo inlet temp
Sponsored