Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Exceptional Thread!

Glad to see someone treated you so nicely :thumbsup:

"Recently was gifted a beautiful set of Rays/Volk TE37SL’s 18x9.5 +45 refinished in gloss black for maintaining content helpful for the CivicX community. That was humbling, mind blowing and totally unexpected. Will leave it to that individual to come forward if he wishes to do so."
Sponsored

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 4A3E4B54-6747-4A86-80D2-8F067CEC14A8

Drove up Angeles Crest Highway Sunday morning to test the new upgrades and the car performed like a champ!

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 152DA0E4-EA1E-4E31-9871-FDE5F56D6364

The FK8 continues to amaze, even (3) years into ownership.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R F412EDE4-744F-4F67-8A51-FCAB7C0B94E8

Acceleration, handling, braking… the car feels like it’s on rails on the curvy mountain roads.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 453A0C31-9D68-4033-94A5-7ABDCDC89612

Prefer driving track over canyon carving. Too dangerous to push the car hard with cyclists, narrow lanes and the potential for oncoming traffic to lane cross.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 9DF2B8E3-A5EC-4493-A7C2-90B153301A7D
Add the utility of a rear seat and hatchback + relatively low Civic maintenance costs… it’s a total package combo that’s hard to beat. :cool:

Last edited:

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
The car looks awesome.
Good to hear the XDI fuel pump upgrade is performing so well.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you, Jeff. Appreciate the props, hermano. The J's front aero bits are nice, but cost an arm, leg and a kidney... And still need to pay to get those parts PPF'd and ceramic'd. 😨 J's Racing USA would like me to install an Eventuri intake and CF inlet tube on their Type R, so thinking of taking them up on the opportunity to work down some of this debt, haha.

Yes, very pleased with the XDI upgrade. Exceeded all expectations and the impact on the car's performance has been surprising, to be quite frank. Lots of work to perform, but hopefully I've provided enough detail to remove any mystery of what it entails, for anyone wanting to follow the same upgrade path. Definitely was one of the more challenging write-ups to perform.

XDI has asked to use it as their official FK8 write up. No money or perks involved, but it's nice to know there's a company out there that endorses my OCD for their product. 😅

Exceptional Thread!
Glad to see someone treated you so nicely :thumbsup:

The car looks awesome.
Good to hear the XDI fuel pump upgrade is performing so well.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R E2ECE543-F588-42CF-A6FA-0A6B32819FE5

Have been off work for a couple weeks recovering from complications due to diabetes 2, which was recently diagnosed with. Good news is I've been working on my driver mod and have lost about 15 lbs and feeling much better. On the positive, I’ll probably end up taking better care of myself and being healthier as a result. ;)

Got a chance to work on someone else's car for a change. My buddy Yasu's Rally Red 2019 Type R from J's Racing USA. Beautiful color.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 7D786BD2-F3A1-4416-A1EF-08A5985A030F

Installed an Eventuri CF turbo inlet tube and Eventuri intake. The combo turned out nice and knocked both out in about 5 hours. Was interesting to find differences under the hood between model years. For example: the engine cover, intake parts and MAF sensor wiring path.

Coincidentally, the Eventuri intake was the first mod performed on my car... So the student has come full circle, so to speak, lol. Learned some install tricks this 2nd time around, so will update the Eventuri post.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1537B5D4-6958-451C-8A31-F2720882871E

Yasu's FK8 was stock before the Eventuri pieces, so was interesting driving and testing the car.

Rushed to get done and forgot to plug the electronic waste gate back in. :doh: Doing so brought in a couple codes and the car wouldn't boost higher than 7 psi. Realized my mistake, corrected it and all was good. ;)

Last edited:

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks Doc. Fortunately was prescribed meds, not insulin shots… the focus of my OCD is shifting to taking better care of myself. Have a goal to get off pills down the road. Steel cut oats, salmon, veggies and things like that aren’t the end of the world I thought it would be, so I’m hopeful. ;)

Best of luck with the health, mate! 🙏🏼

Doc_Mello

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CBP Si Coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks Doc. Fortunately was prescribed meds, not insulin shots… the focus of my OCD is shifting to taking better care of myself. Have a goal to get off pills down the road. Steel cut oats, salmon, veggies and things like that aren’t the end of the world I thought it would be, so I’m hopeful. ;)
Love it! Yep, years ago, when I started to focus more on my health, I also came to the realize busting the myth that healthy eating is bland. In fact, it’s fulfilling WRT to both taste and nourishment, and also psychologically because it feels intrinsically pleasing to take of our health. I’ve grown accustomed to salads pretty much every day of the week, kinda the only thing I eat except for ‘treat day‘ on Saturday, and my salads are the 💣. 😄

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Have been off work for a couple weeks recovering from complications due to diabetes 2, which was recently diagnosed with.
I too was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so best of luck to you. Hardest part is laying off the jasmine white rice. 😅

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Changed transmission fluid to Amsoil Synchromesh @18,000 miles.

Tools needed
6mm crush washer
20mm crush washer for drain and fill plug
part#94109-2000

2.3 quarts of CTR compatible transmission fluid. I like Amsoil Synchromesh
Ratchet with 3/8 extensions, long and short
Flat and Phillips Screwdriver
Funnel
10mm combo wrench
Drain catch pan
Rags
Cardboard
A means of safely raising the car

With the car raised, and oil undertray removed, started the ignition and got the engine to normal operating temperature then shut it off.

MtnBikeAZ1 posted a nice tutorial here: https://www.civicx.com/threads/diy-...e-and-are-they-different-by-model-year.36209/

Accessing the fill plug requires removal of the airbox and ECU (if have an Eventuri) so will need to also disconnect the battery terminals.

248E2621-C6D5-41A6-AB7D-0F98DB27986A.png

Fill plug removal. Photo credit: MtnBikeAZ1

F016F7B7-DE2D-4CBB-8F5C-424B5EF8E79D.jpeg

Drain plug location

FCB532F5-713F-4F6B-AD8E-6389296FD845.png

Drain plug removal. A 3/8 extension fits both drain and fill plugs perfectly. Photo credit: MtnBikeAZ1

5D1C4651-BE40-42CE-9704-399F5B778CCC.png

Here is what the old transmission fluid looked like after 18k miles. Pretty dirty. Reinstall the drain plug with a new 20mm crush washer and add 2.2 to 2.3 quarts of new transmission fluid. CTR compatible.

6A76A46A-64A0-43CD-94F1-9E87EE6D5D7B.jpeg

I would add to his instructions (because someone pointed it out to me) is the need to open the side check bolt and top off the fluid until it seeps back out... then you will be sure to have the 2.3 quarts the Type R is calling for. The side check bolt is a 10mm.

D0B9B26C-CB69-401A-AE7E-3189DC7A28A3.jpeg

The squirt tube is a perfect fit for the side check opening to top off until it seeps back out. It also has a smaller tip extension and I switched to that towards the end. There are similar ones for sale on Amazon.

2778A3B2-2E09-4F28-AFED-3376ED001B3A.jpeg

Topped off the transmission fluid until it started to drain back out..then reinstalled the check plug. Though a new 6mm crush washer is preferred, I re-used the old one, as it’s on the side and not as critical as the drain plug. I’ve since re-checked and no leaks.

89FB838D-BCB5-4BFF-9309-2CF090DCB0F5.png

This is the amount that went in. I’d estimate about 0.1 L. Was expecting to use the entire 0.3L but that was it. I might try topping it off again in a few days to make sure.

The plastic tip extension is pictured.
Regarding the side check bolt, when you are adding fluid from the top of the vehicle, it looks like you have your car level in the air. Any tips If i have just a floor jack and 2 jack stands? Im afriad I wont get an accurate measurement if I have only the front of the vehicle raised.
Thanks

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Awesome to see Doc. Thank you for sharing. So far, so good. Should have made positive lifestyle changes long ago. The lameness is diabetes, was brought by my own bad choices. 🤦‍♂️

That said, the irony is I needed to come down with diabetes 2 first, before caring enough to alter my ways…. But now am all in. 😂

It’s been a little over (1) month since the diagnosis… Drink just water, eat healthier and recently started exercising. Dropped (13) pounds just with the dietary changes and maybe the Metformin medication 💊.

Blood pressure has improved. Feel so much better and more energetic. Setting a goal to walk every day and get my steps in. Actually looking forward to retesting in (2) months to see if my levels trend in the right direction. ;)

Love it! Yep, years ago, when I started to focus more on my health, I also came to the realize busting the myth that healthy eating is bland. In fact, it’s fulfilling WRT to both taste and nourishment, and also psychologically because it feels intrinsically pleasing to take of our health.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hear that brother. Being asian, definitely feel your pain. White rice, fried rice…. It’s all my favorites 😢

Have been eating brown rice. While ok, it’s just not the same as a regular bowl of steamed rice. 😔

Good news is it hasn’t been that difficult to refrain from the yummy crap I used to eat. The mind is stronger than the belly and taste buds. 👍

I too was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, so best of luck to you. Hardest part is laying off the jasmine white rice. 😅

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmm 🤔 yes, the EZ car lift I use does allow for the car to remain level while elevated…

I’ve not tried the floor jack + jack stand method, but will presume it involves:
  • Setting the parking brake and leaving the car in gear.
  • Sliding the floor Jack under the front (or rear) of the car to a reinforced lift point in the center, then raising the car.
  • Position the (2) jack stands under the pinch bar lift points on the sides, just behind the front wheel well or in front of the rear well.
  • Releasing the floor jack pressure so the weight of the car now rests on the jack stands and the ground.
Does this sound correct? If so, here are a couple ideas that might do the trick when it’s time to refill the transmission.

Conditions: side check bolt removed, catch pan underneath atop a nice large piece of cardboard to capture any overflow and drips, refilling from the top.
  • Purchase an extra set of jackstands, raise the rear and install so all is level.
  • With the front end still on stands, use the floor jack to raise the rear so car is level, if there is a rear center lifting point.
  • Support the front end with the floor jack, remove the stands, then lower the car so it’s level. Add transmission fluid from top until it seeps from the side bolt check hole and drips to the catch pan…. However I don’t think this would work as raising the car to reinstall the check bolt would be the same situation as you’re already in.

Regarding the side check bolt, when you are adding fluid from the top of the vehicle, it looks like you have your car level in the air. Any tips If i have just a floor jack and 2 jack stands? Im afriad I wont get an accurate measurement if I have only the front of the vehicle raised.
Thanks

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Hmm 🤔 yes, the EZ car lift I use does allow for the car to remain level while elevated…

I’ve not tried the floor jack + jack stand method, but will presume it involves:
  • Setting the parking brake and leaving the car in gear.
  • Sliding the floor Jack under the front (or rear) of the car to a reinforced lift point in the center, then raising the car.
  • Position the (2) jack stands under the pinch bar lift points on the sides, just behind the front wheel well or in front of the rear well.
  • Releasing the floor jack pressure so the weight of the car now rests on the jack stands and the ground.
Does this sound correct? If so, here are a couple ideas that might do the trick when it’s time to refill the transmission.

Conditions: side check bolt removed, catch pan underneath atop a nice large piece of cardboard to capture any overflow and drips, refilling from the top.
  • Purchase an extra set of jackstands, raise the rear and install so all is level.
  • With the front end still on stands, use the floor jack to raise the rear so car is level, if there is a rear center lifting point.
  • Support the front end with the floor jack, remove the stands, then lower the car so it’s level. Add transmission fluid from top until it seeps from the side bolt check hole and drips to the catch pan…. However I don’t think this would work as raising the car to reinstall the check bolt would be the same situation as you’re already in.
Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I finished the job without much hassle. After lowering the front of the car onto 2 jack stands, I proceeded to the rear with the floor jack. Unfortunately my floor jack wouldn’t raise the car enough to get the wheels off the ground. I tried my old Mazda 6 scissor jack and got an extra inch of height which was enough to get the rear tires off the ground. I held a level to the bottom of the transmission to get a rough idea and the bubble was centered.
This was the second time using AC Delco Modified Synromesh to change the transmission fluid. The first time was at 2,000 miles and today i was at 10k. I can say it is much improved, took all the notchiness away, better than the first time. Not sure if It’s because I had closer to the exact 2.3 quarts or because it’s fresh, but very noticeable.
Sponsored