Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Held off sharing this, to make sure my buddies Steve and John are ok. Thankfully and miraculously they are.

As previously mentioned, passed on the 2nd day of the AROSC Novice TT school to connect with them at Big Willow last Sunday 1/16/22.

Met both through work 10 years ago and they are now retired. John is a collector of classic hot rods and Steve is a hard core driving enthusiast. :bow:

Without Steve’s mentorship and encouragement, I never would have experienced driving at the limit.:drive:

And while I’ve conveyed our shared enthusiasm in regards to pushing cars at the track, I want to be clear it is definitely not without extreme risk. o_O

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 986450CB-9CCC-47D2-8FE0-A3E097143714

My friends were involved in a serious accident that had real potential to have been crippling or fatal. :eek:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R A5062087-8491-4A0E-8A1F-DA960FC20522

On their first lap in advanced group, the car lost traction just past turn (1) on the straight, (which is nuts). Suspect one of the rear tires grabbed while the other didn’t. :oops:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BCACBC25-CBA8-4CA7-84DE-4C4B780C0B58

Got turned sideways @78 MPH, tried to counter steer to no avail due to cold pavement, cold tires and lack of grip.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R C9D1FCB0-2578-4425-9D94-940AC3B712D4

Slid off the infield track at around 30 MPH. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0F7278E3-696B-42D5-8731-61CF3791DA9F

Hit a berm sideways, flipped and rolled 2x. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R ED8A5B48-E409-474C-B467-B0469F7333D0

Things went horribly wrong in a split second. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 4597855E-CC0F-4485-80C8-573F6A17D5B9

In this case, we believe it was a combination of cold tires, loss of traction causing a severe oversteer and extreme HP. However at any given moment on the track, an accident can be caused by a mechanical failure, tire blowout, oil or coolant on the roadway, driver error or even by actions of another racer.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 502D3175-348F-479F-A638-9BBE16C37C18

Came to rest upside down. No roll cage or bar installed. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 48D1F325-DA6B-4247-8860-7F4FE72B710D

Fortunately they weren’t using 5 point harnesses so had the ability to contort themselves otherwise likely would have been catastrophic. This was John’s head, neck and helmet pressed against the collapsed roof. ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 4924FA5F-8A88-4CB9-8D36-F2FA8D02A551

Scary when all cars return to the pits unexpectedly and drivers are talking about a car having a bad off, then realizing it’s your friends. (Anyone really)… ?

Even scarier when followed by an EMS siren. Fortunately Steve called to lmk he and John were both relatively ok and didn’t need medical attention. Paramedics left after checking them out. *whew* :headbang:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 8B22FF65-66CC-4B5F-8BDF-60675B96C056

Though the track is a controlled environment, accidents still can happen no matter driver skill level, as this demonstrated.

Luckily, this occurred at relatively low speed. Big Willow claims to be “the fastest track in the west” and cars are usually booking 100+ MPH on this short stretch.

There are no runoffs at Big Willow which is inexcusable, really. No sand… just desert, rocks, berms and dangerous walls if go off that far. :doh:

Watching Big Willow accidents on YouTube has me reconsidering how wise it is to return, but I love that track.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 5CDA5CE0-55AC-4ABF-9259-00E4B20E3B9C

Sadly the car is totaled. Track insurance would have been great in hindsight…however when I looked into Hagerty, coverage for (1) track day was so expensive and had a huge $15k deductible… It’s super cost prohibitive, so a lot of guys (including me) run without.

A lot of drivers accept the risk that if the car is wrecked at the track. That’s gonna be it.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 03EA6410-4A22-458E-8D86-42BD826EEFD3

There’s a track saying: cars are replaceable….people aren’t. Only drive what you can afford to lose.

Thank goodness we were able to make the best of a tough situation afterwards.

My buddy has the means to replace the car if he wants to np… so he’ll be ok. He probably feels worse John was with him when it occurred….but makes for an unforgettable story moving forward.

Me? Well, if the same happened, that would mean it would be back to the good old 96 Accord full time. Just not at the track.

Last edited:

dthanb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Si, 2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback
Held off sharing this, to make sure my buddies Steve and John are ok. Thankfully and miraculously they are.

As previously mentioned, passed on the 2nd day of the AROSC Novice TT school to connect with them at Big Willow last Sunday 1/16/22.

Met both through work 10 years ago and they are now retired. John is a collector of classic hot rods and Steve is a hard core driving enthusiast. :bow:

Without Steve’s mentorship and encouragement, I never would have experienced driving at the limit.:drive:

And while I’ve conveyed our shared enthusiasm in regards to pushing cars at the track, I want to be clear it is definitely not without extreme risk. o_O

986450CB-9CCC-47D2-8FE0-A3E097143714.jpeg

My friends were involved in a serious accident that had real potential to have been crippling or fatal. :eek:

A5062087-8491-4A0E-8A1F-DA960FC20522.jpeg

On their first lap in advanced group, the car lost traction just past turn (1) on the straight, (which is nuts). Suspect one of the rear tires grabbed while the other didn’t. :oops:

BCACBC25-CBA8-4CA7-84DE-4C4B780C0B58.jpeg

Got turned sideways @78 MPH, tried to counter steer to no avail due to cold pavement, cold tires and lack of grip.

C9D1FCB0-2578-4425-9D94-940AC3B712D4.jpeg

Slid off the infield track at around 30 MPH. ?

0F7278E3-696B-42D5-8731-61CF3791DA9F.jpeg

Hit a berm sideways, flipped and rolled 2x. ?

ED8A5B48-E409-474C-B467-B0469F7333D0.jpeg

Things went horribly wrong in a split second. ?

4597855E-CC0F-4485-80C8-573F6A17D5B9.jpeg

In this case, we believe it was a combination of cold tires, loss of traction causing a severe oversteer and extreme HP. However at any given moment on the track, an accident can be caused by a mechanical failure, tire blowout, oil or coolant on the roadway or driver error.

502D3175-348F-479F-A638-9BBE16C37C18.jpeg

Came to rest upside down. No roll cage or bar installed. ?

48D1F325-DA6B-4247-8860-7F4FE72B710D.jpeg

Fortunately they weren’t using 5 point harnesses so had the ability to contort themselves otherwise it would have been catastrophic. This was John’s head, neck and helmet pressed against the collapsed roof. ?

4924FA5F-8A88-4CB9-8D36-F2FA8D02A551.jpeg

Scary when all cars return to the pits unexpectedly and drivers are talking about a car having a bad off, then realizing it’s your friends. (Anyone really)… ?

Even scarier when followed by an EMS siren. Fortunately Steve called to lmk he and John were both relatively ok and didn’t need medical attention. Paramedics left after checking them out. *whew* :headbang:

8B22FF65-66CC-4B5F-8BDF-60675B96C056.jpeg

Though the track is a controlled environment, accidents still can happen no matter driver skill level, as this demonstrated.

Luckily, this occurred at relatively low speed. Big Willow claims to be “the fastest track in the west” and cars are usually booking 100+ MPH on this short stretch.

There are no runoffs at Big Willow which is inexcusable, really. No sand… just desert, rocks, berms and dangerous walls if go off that far. :doh:

Watching Big Willow accidents on YouTube has me reconsidering how wise it is to return, but I love that track.

5CDA5CE0-55AC-4ABF-9259-00E4B20E3B9C.jpeg

Sadly the car is totaled. Track insurance would have been great in hindsight…however when I looked into Hagerty, coverage for (1) track day was so expensive and had a huge $15k deductible… It’s super cost prohibitive, so a lot of guys (including me) run without.

A lot of drivers accept the risk that if the car is wrecked at the track. That’s gonna be it.

03EA6410-4A22-458E-8D86-42BD826EEFD3.jpeg

There’s a track saying: cars are replaceable….people aren’t. Only drive what you can afford to lose.

Thank goodness we were able to make the best of a tough situation afterwards.

My buddy has the means to replace the car if he wants to np… so he’ll be ok. He probably feels worse John was with him when it occurred….but makes for an unforgettable story moving forward.

Me? Well, if the same happened, that would mean it would back to the good old 96 Accord full time. Just not at the track.
Glad everyone is alright.

Firthy13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
What a fantastic thread. I had a quiet day at work and over 12 hours read all 60 pages of this 3 year journey.
I own a CW '18 CTR exactly the same as yours. I really appreciate the maintenance DIY posts.
What are you long term goals for the car? Is it going to be a forever car or will you move on to a different platform in the future?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you @dthanb. John (passenger) is probably still abit sore. But he uploaded crash footage to his IG account so pretty sure he’s ok or well on the mend..

As far Steve (driver) is concerned… after a couple days of stiffness and headaches he made a full recovery and went cycling this past Thursday… Ironman! :headbang:

Glad everyone is alright.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you so much. Haha that’s pretty awesome to read straight through. There is a lot of banter, humor and information not hyperlinked to the table of contents.

When this thread began, it was more for something to fixate my “mild” OCD on to stay busy…. Then content kept growing and here we are (60) pages later ?.

Not sure how many readers there are, but it’s encouraging to receive a like here and there, see the view counter increase and know there is an audience and people find the info helpful to their builds, goals, every day driving or whatever it may be.

So thank you @Firthy13 and everyone that passes through here. It helps keep me motivated…. Then again I am abit OCD so the compulsion to mod and tinker is real, rain or shine. :umbrella:

Recently was gifted a beautiful set of Rays/Volk TE37SL’s 18x9.5 +45 refinished in gloss black for maintaining content helpful for the CivicX community. That was humbling, mind blowing and totally unexpected. Will leave it to that individual to come forward if he wishes to do so.

Goals for the car? A keeper definitely. Forever is a long time… but yes, the plan is to enjoy the car until I am no longer able to, whether that be due to health (I’m 52), a life changing event that changes priorities (hope not), a catastrophic track mishap (could happen anytime, see recent post).

Have still got some significant mods to install. Getting ready to finally install some of the J’s Racing Aero that came in a few months ago. It was ordered back in April 2021, ughh. With any luck I’ll at least get the front lip installed today then post a DIY. We’ll see.

Still have the XDI HPFP to install in order to up the Motec tune back to full. (Ben nerfed it a bit due to fuel cutoffs.)

Motec C125 dash display is on the radar + inputs for oil pressure and temperature, Motec GPS and video… but haven’t ordered it yet. My son’s are getting older and becoming more expensive, so we’ll see how soon it happens, but it’s a goal.

Also have JRZ RS Pro coils and RV6 suspension gear I’ve held off from installing until my abilities really warrant the upgrade.

More seat time needed, so that’s in the horizon as well.

In a perfect world, one or both of my sons will take an interest, learn stick and I can enjoy the car with them soon.

What a fantastic thread. I had a quiet day at work and over 12 hours read all 60 pages of this 3 year journey.
I own a CW '18 CTR exactly the same as yours. I really appreciate the maintenance DIY posts.
What are you long term goals for the car? Is it going to be a forever car or will you move on to a different platform in the future?

Last edited:

Firthy13

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CW CTR
Country flag
Thank you so much. Haha that’s pretty awesome to read straight through. There is a lot of banter, humor and information not hyperlinked to the table of contents.

When this thread began, it was more for something to fixate my “mild” OCD on to stay busy…. Then content kept growing and here we are (60) pages later ?.

Not sure how many readers there are, but it’s encouraging to receive a like here and there, see the view counter increase and know there is an audience and people find the info helpful to their builds, goals, every day driving or whatever it may be.

So thank you @Firthy13 and everyone that passes through here. It helps keep me motivated…. Then again I am abit OCD so it may not matter anyway. Compulsion to mod and tinker is real, rain or shine. :umbrella:

Recently was gifted a beautiful set of Rays/Volk TE37SL’s 18x9.5 +45 refinished in gloss black for maintaining content helpful for the CivicX community. That was humbling, mind blowing and totally unexpected. Will leave it to that individual to come forward if he wishes to do so.

Goals for the car? A keeper definitely. Forever is a long time… but yes, the plan is to enjoy the car until I am no longer able to, whether that be due to health (I’m 52), a life changing event that changes priorities (hope not), a catastrophic track mishap (could happen anytime, see recent post).

Have still got some significant mods to install. Getting ready to finally install some of the J’s Racing Aero that came in a few months ago. It was ordered back in April 2021, ughh. With any luck I’ll at least get the front lip installed today then post a DIY. We’ll see.

Still have the XDI HPFP to install in order to up the Motec tune back to full. (Ben nerfed it a bit due to fuel cutoffs.)

Motec C125 dash display is on the radar + inputs for oil pressure and temperature, Motec GPS and video… but haven’t ordered it yet. My son’s are getting older and becoming more expensive, so we’ll see how soon it happens, but it’s a goal.

Also have JRZ RS Pro coils and RV6 suspension gear I’ve held off from installing until my abilities really warrant the upgrade.

More seat time needed, so that’s in the horizon as well.

In a perfect world, one or both of my sons will take and interest, learn stick and I can enjoy the car with them soon.
We all definitely appreciate the effort you put in to your car and this thread.
That is amazing gesture from someone to gift you a set of TEs, good on them.

Another mod I think you may like is the spoon rigid collar set for the front and rear subframes. Apparently it's very noticeable difference in chassis rigidity without effecting the ride. Not a very expensive mod also.
Keep up the good work?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
Wow, that is scary! Normally a Corvette's A and B pillars are considered very solid but they totally collapsed. I have seen pics of a few more modern Corvettes that have survived a roll over far better than that and that is a C7 isn't it?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D67A2F12-929B-495E-A64A-4AC0E380C471

Yessir, I believe his was a 2019 C7. I’m still amazed they were able to both walk away from that, especially as it rolled 2x before settling upside down.

Gave me some pause whether to keep driving with my youngest as a passenger. My wife would absolutely kill me if our baby was involved in that kind of accident.

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
@fatherpain thank you for posting about your friends' incident at Big Willow. I'm glad they're OK, and it's unfortunate that beautiful C7 Z06 is lost. There are many takeaway safety and sobering lessons. I hope you can also post the Youtube video as it demonstrates how things go badly very quickly in the most seemingly innocuous of circumstances. Unfortunately if you run off sideways in most tracks there's a big likelihood the wheels will dig into the dirt and the car would roll over. Seeing the video footage and the pictures of the scratched up helmet, they barely made it. If some is taller or wearing a 4+ point harness without a roll bar/cage, the outcome could've been tragic.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Sure thing @Sam3. Crash footage can be seen at 1:18 and 5:38 of this video.

This video was composed and uploaded to his IG by my friend John, the passenger. In car video provided by my buddy Steve, the driver.

Not that anyone would, but I respectfully ask that no one leave any kind of negative message in John’s comment section. Thanks guys :)

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Firthy13 - forgot to mention, if unaware. The first post has a table of contents that contains hyperlinks, in the event you wish to revisit something and want to go to it directly. Credit to my buddy @boosted180sx for showing me how to set it up. Game changer :)

Gandalf

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan MSM
Country flag
Thank you so much. Haha that’s pretty awesome to read straight through. There is a lot of banter, humor and information not hyperlinked to the table of contents....
I'll add to what everyone has said about the time and effort you put into this thread. I don't contribute or comment when on CivicX much, but I usually come into the site and immediately come to the builds threads to see if you've given an update, then on to parts once I'm caught up.

It's great that your contributions have been rewarded with some tangible evidence of everyone's appreciation of your effort. Props to the person who gifted you the wheels. Continue the great work, it's not always acknowledged, but know there are many people who come by and really enjoy your write ups.

On another note, glad your friends are ok and well on their way to full recoveries!

Last edited:

Sam3

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CW CTR
Country flag
Congratulations! Very well deserved. You generously shared your knowledge and provided detailed, meticulous instructions on how to maintain and make popular upgrades to the FK8 platform. Such chores could be very dry, but you made them fun and entertaining to read. I benefitted a lot from your posts.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 8DD91CA5-2F60-4391-8814-F026E879A963

Don't normally post finished results before the install... so this is kinda putting the horse before the carriage, as they say. But a JDM wait + combined with being one of the first on the block got me excited, so what the heck ;)

Here's the J's Racing CF Front Wing Spoiler (Lip).

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 61F967E4-2A1D-4124-BDB9-96170E8BE812

The lip was ordered along with some other J's aero bits (Side Wing, Carnards and Garnish) when it was first announced back in March/April 2021....

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 8107292D-66C0-4041-9603-0ACCCC1639C3

Lip arrived a few months ago, but the finish was wonky and needed to be fixed and clear coated. With the holidays and such, it drug on a bit. Got it back a few weeks ago, but had the track days scheduled, so didn't want to mess around modding the car + my back and arm was killing me. (Good news is it's slowly getting better) :)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R F8D2A95F-9652-4B42-8E64-FBA5C0C20A97

The funny thing is wrenching on the car, seems to have helped me get better. When I'm working, I guess my muscles loosen up and the pain goes away. Who knew the best physical therapy sometimes consists of receiving JDM parts? ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 0EB25F3C-0B77-486E-8C21-543C2FEC5BB5

Was a little worried how the lip would turn out, because there were just a limited number of photos that J's Racing Japan had posted. Had they posted pix like these, it would have been a no-brainer for me. Am happy how it has turned out so far. :thumbsup:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 85E211E9-4113-4227-B1D0-D89CF7054109
Will be posting the DYI installation soon. However, need to sort through a bunch of pix because the J's Racing instructions led to some rework and adjustment, which added time and some aggravation.. The new instructions should help immensely for anyone considering this lip.

Waiting for the side wing and canards to be clear coated, then they will go on as well. :)

Last edited: