Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes that just reminded me, I do need to disconnect the brake line (at least for the passenger side) to remove the caliper bolts….as the Sakebomb SST lines are smack dab right in the way… :( but I’ll try the Allen key next time to see if I get lucky ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

BlueFalcon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last: 19 ABM FK8 - Now: 21 SGP FK8
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Agree that there is no need to disconnect a brake line. I use a Foxwell 510 elite tool (more expensive than the Autel but I think somewhat easier to use) to pull back the EPB. Then the piston compresses very easily with something like this. Lisle 24400 Disc Brake Pad Spreader, Brake Pads - Amazon Canada . The question I have always wondered about is lubricating the brake slider pins. I tend to do that but not sure if this is correct. I also find that with a ratchet head and 7 mm Allen socket that you can't remove the upper pins due to the OEM brake lines, so need to use a 7mm true Allen key. I find the job doesn't take all that long and leave the ignition on while doing both sides. I step on the brakes to pump them back up after each side but don't set the electronic tool back to normal until I have done both sides and pumped up both calipers.
I vaguely remember someone arguing that adding lube/silicone to the pins and then replacing them could (in theory) cause the pins to slide unevenly or otherwise cause some kind of uneven shift due to lack of compression or interference from the gunk in the sleeve. It was suggested that it could create some kind of uneven pad pressure/wear due to the shift. Can't say I have ever personally heard of this happening to anyone, but there might be that one unlucky guy out there somewhere.... ?

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
We run high temp grease on our very slow endurance race car and re grease with every brake pad change. OTOH, I didn't notice any grease present at all on the rears of my CTR so maybe it isn't necessary.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R F7AC8CAE-520B-4286-A3AB-D58D5751653F

Bled the brakes, reinstalled the wheels and after 2-1/2 months the car finally made if off of the lift.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 4893A804-EA74-440E-9FE8-D28EBAF2A47E

2 months of dirt and crud washed off surprisingly easy.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 832058AA-3807-40EE-B302-55EBD552EBFB

Drove the car to bed the brakes and had a blast. Almost had forgotten how amazing these cars are on the road.

Best of all, no issues to report, which is a relief after disassembling so many parts.

Didn’t get around to installing the XDI HPFP as originally planned. Wanted to make sure everything else in this round of mods was good first before moving forward.

Going to try to hit the track again 12/12/21, if I receive the green light from the boss. She wasn’t too happy the car sat disassembled for so long in the back yard, so we’ll see what she says ?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 24B57130-47EF-4125-B932-CFE2EF4CFD63
Messed around with the J’s Racing front lip spoiler to gauge what it might look like installed.

Here is what it looks like compared to the stock lip. Lined it up where it should go. Obviously, the stock lip is in the way, so the J’s lip would be 3” or so higher off the ground…

The lip definitely will stick out, so am a little worried about the potential for damage over dips or large speed bumps. The already stock lip scrapes sometimes and the car isn’t even lowered.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 7D61261D-D67E-490E-9AC9-AD0AF2DA85C2

Received this message about the key fob battery needing replacement. Switched to the backup key fob and got the same message. Guess batteries only last (3) years.

Did a quick YouTube search, as it wasn’t apparent how it came apart.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 17101D3C-8482-4516-9E0C-DD0DB4426A7A

Press the button on the back to release the key.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 93E7BC85-DCC8-4132-A4B0-E8B3F257E0DE

The key will then become a pry tool.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R CB4280CA-0CFC-472B-AB39-E56758633508

Insert the key tip between these plastic tabs.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D0EDD646-F382-47CD-8F6B-3DFE90DA2429

Then gently pry apart.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 36CE869A-CCB2-41CE-8367-4F281B70FDBB

And the housing will separate.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R D68D40F6-E34F-4FC9-8E34-6153F0E1EF7B

Key fob takes a CR2032 lithium 3V battery. Replace it, snap all back together and should be good for (3) years.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 1A066C5A-DDD6-4FC2-B236-F4B759EBD112

The Honda parts department is asking $9 for replacements. Hard pass :crazy:

Dollar Tree sells the same exact battery for $1 :headbang:

Recommend getting them there or someplace similar. ;)

Last edited:

nan74nan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CTR FK2
Country flag
While I appreciate all your efforts in the write up. .............................................................
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BCB.JPG

I know some aftermarket supplier had upgrade the brake caliper seal & dust seal
they using different compound instead with rubber, can be more durable and higher heat resistance (300℃),maybe this more suit for track use
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R BCB.JPG

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
24B57130-47EF-4125-B932-CFE2EF4CFD63.jpeg
Messed around with the J’s Racing front lip spoiler to gauge what it might look like installed.

Here is what it looks like compared to the stock lip. Lined it up where it should go. Obviously, the stock lip is in the way, so the J’s lip would be 3” or so higher off the ground…

The lip definitely will stick out, so am a little worried about the potential for damage over dips or large speed bumps. The already stock lip scrapes sometimes and the car isn’t even lowered.
At first I thought this was the Seeker front lip, interested to see your thoughts when it's mounted.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you. Have been working extra hours, so there hasn’t been time to make headway on this or any other mods.

The front spoiler is currently at a body shop being touched up and clear coated, courtesy of J’s Racing USA to address the imperfections in the manufacturing process, which I appreciate.

Will be looking to install and have PPF and ceramic applied, when it comes back. The side wing, canards and front garnish are likely stuck in port somewhere.

That said, have some reservations as the J’s lip sticks out significantly and the OEM lip already scrapes at stock height.

Would hate for this expensive CF lip to break on an unexpected dip while street driving or scrape coming down the driveway. Didn’t really think this through before committing to it. ?

This may end up being an item that is installed for track days, then removed… dunno.

At first I thought this was the Seeker front lip, interested to see your thoughts when it's mounted.

Sleepy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 CW
Country flag
Thank you. Have been working extra hours, so there hasn’t been time to make headway on this or any other mods.

The front spoiler is currently at a body shop being touched up and clear coated, courtesy of J’s Racing USA to address the imperfections in the manufacturing process, which I appreciate.

Will be looking to install and have PPF and ceramic applied, when it comes back. The side wing, canards and front garnish are likely stuck in port somewhere.

That said, have some reservations as the J’s lip sticks out significantly and the OEM lip already scrapes at stock height.

Would hate for this expensive CF lip to break on an unexpected dip while street driving or scrape coming down the driveway. Didn’t really think this through before committing to it. ?

This may end up being an item that is installed for track days, then removed… dunno.
I’ve only seen one other person with it at a meet. It’s aggressive, but like you said I don’t know how livable it is with our roads…

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 24639C1E-320A-4802-9FAF-3FCCA9338EF1
Recently crossed the (3) year mark for FK8 ownership and it’s been a blast. :headbang:

Love it on the street, even more so at the track, though sadly, have not been able to make it back out since February…

The Type R is easily the best car I’ve ever had since obtaining my driver’s license (36) years ago (oh gawd)…. I’ll temper this statement with the disclaimer that outside of a 1996 Acura Integra RS, I’ve only owned clunkers and econo boxes prior to 2018 ?.

Still, I’d wager there aren’t many cars that match the fun factor, utility and reliability this car delivers. (Which can be further enhanced with some appropriate mods).

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 66D94285-0C9C-4F8F-B3B8-EA088C3F9D23

After putting on a ton of year one miles, a goal has been to drive the car less…Easy when the car is offline being modded….so difficult when it’s ready to go. Have been somewhat successful in dropping my annual mileage down to 15k.

The route to work is traffic free most mornings. Providing occasional opportunities to run WOT and it’s fun going hard into freeway transitions, turns and exits to simulate road course driving, (when no other cars are present.)
:drive:

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 944A6FBC-72D0-4118-8165-8714B6BB3B21

Still driving around town in Type R mode + Alpine Stars racing gloves. May as well get my monies worth out of them and they are great protection against cold shift knobs in winter and scorching hot in summer.

The one complaint I have about the FK8 is the driver’s side blind spot. :mad: Have had a couple near misses when I thought it was clear and was too lazy to look over the shoulder…. Dive bombed into the next lane and nearly rammed into cars minding their own business. :doh:

Fortunately, they were paying attention and reacted in time to make up for my gaffes. ?‍♂

As such, I’m investigating what aftermarket side mirror options are out there. Trying to avoid going convex overlays…. Not a fan of the Type R’s driver side mirror at all. Feel visibility is definitely lacking on that side. :(

**update** adjusted both side mirrors to point directing at each blind spot. So much better now!

Last edited:

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag
Thank you @fatherpain! I had read your build thread and the head unit security code details helped me out. I needed to do that after my Motec install. :thumbsup:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Looking at your brake guide and having done a few myself now. I much more enjoy just using the e11 torx socket to retract the ebrake vs using the autel crap. My front calipers need a repaint but I am afraid to rebuild em lol :hmm:

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Excellent! Very cool to see another FK8 MoTeC user. There are just a handful of us. I’m underutilizing mine, as I’m FBO only… no big turbo or engine build.

I had read your build thread and the head unit security code details helped me out. I needed to do that after my Motec install. :thumbsup:

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag
Excellent! Very cool to see another FK8 MoTeC user. There are just a handful of us. I’m underutilizing mine, as I’m FBO only… no big turbo or engine build.
Next time you need to enter the code, you might be okay without reconnecting the stock ECU. Mine is a 2021 and I did it with the Motec installed.

My goal is to learn the Motec platform. I just started playing with configuring the display. Hardware wise, I am 100% stock besides the Motec stuff.:oops:
Sponsored