Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
Tom, hoping you get back out for a track day at some point ..
Sponsored

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 96AF5DFE-0777-4E3F-8425-5FFB75D9B187
Certainly would be nice and my track friends keep inviting… but can’t justify the expense at the moment as have some irresponsible bills to pay… Sold off the RV6 Turbo having come to grips to avoid going further into the rabbit hole…

Have been driving the 96 Honda Accord of late, due to the better gas mileage and zero stress cruising around town with it. Just passed 400k miles original engine.

Hopefully that bodes well for the Type R as I’m around 55k now.

Tom, hoping you get back out for a track day at some point ..

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 TSX (Euro-R mods), 2009 Acura TSX, 2008 MDX, 2011 Shelby GT500, 2018 Type R, 2020 MDX A-Spec
Country flag
I had a 94 Honda Accord which I bought new (metallic teal). Great car. That's what convinced me to stick with Honda. Traded it for the 04 Red TSX which I still have. Been driving Hondas or Acuras ever since :)

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Wish I could've afforded a Type R. But I'll stick with Hondas like I have since I bought my 1st Civic in 1985.

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R and some other cars ;-)
Country flag

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very glad to hear from you Mike. Yes, I saw the page on the Integra forums, and meant to chime in, but just haven't had time to reply. Bookmarked the thread and am looking forward to reading it in its entirety. Like many others, am living vicariously through your amazing car experiences :)

We are doing well but have been bogged down with RL issues. Nothing bad in the grand scheme of things. But nonsense stuff such as:
  • Work schedule has ramped up. Have been working 6-7 days per week. My typical shift is from 530a until 630p. There have been some 10p nights as well. It's been like this for the majority of the year, but it's been especially nuts the past few months, with several more to go. With any luck the schedule will get back to normal around mid-April. By the time I get home, the last thing my family wants is for me to go work on the car. Neither do I, heh.
  • I'm in the running for a life changing work promotion, so I should commit time to study for the interview that is supposedly on the horizon, (though I haven't done nearly enough.)
  • Taking in my wife's friends' (19 yo) son with issues that need to be corrected. He's been with us now for (3) months. He's been clean for the past (2) months, has a job a McDonalds and will be starting adult school in January. We are encouraging him to get his Driver's license. As long as he continues to work towards improving himself, we plan on helping out until he's at least 21.
  • Our youngest son just got his driver's license a couple days ago, then promptly backed into our neighbor's truck (even though he has a backup camera), SMH. Waiting to hear how much the body shop repair will be, lol.
With all this going on (work mostly) just haven't had time to mess with the Type R. Have only washed it 2x in the past several months and the battery has gone dead just sitting, sigh. I do intend to give it a powerwash tonight, then use a battery jumper then drive it to work tomorrow.

Moving on from the RV6 Turbo was tough, but I value reliability, which as the car currently sits, I feel I still have. Also factoring in the decision is I will have to comply with California smog testing in a couple years. Very interested to see how things go for the 2017 owners. I may have to open an LLC in Montana, lol.

One of these days I will get back to modding. At the very least, I would like to finally install the RV6 suspension goodies and JRZ coilovers... It's hard to believe it's been nearly (2) years since I've hit the track. Thinking on getting back out there soon.

Writing this from work and about to leave for home. Working tomorrow and New Years Day, then the regular work week begins anew.

@fatherpain I was hoping to read about your RV6 turbo experience but looks like that will have to be in the future. Hope things are well.

I can’t stay away and came “back” with a DE5 ITS. Looks like your account exists but might not be you (tried “paging” ya).

https://www.integraforums.com/forum/threads/forevercar’s-its-journal.51739/

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
@fatherpain Keep up the great work. Your incredible attitude comes through consistently. More car enjoyment will come.

I had a “wake up” event and my perspective has definitely been shifted. I had no idea how close I was to “10 more good years and that’s it”. While I know you’re tight on time, I highly recommend Peter Attia’s Outlive. Unless you have already read this book, it is likely very much worth finding time to read it (or listen to the audio book).

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 86644B75-DA64-4EC0-978D-0E6AD6AB6016

It’s been a couple months since I’ve driven the Type R and the battery died while it sat. Enter this handy dandy Noco Boost Plus jump starter. (Amazon)

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 05CD42C5-435E-41B1-8C8D-3866EE0743BE

Holds a charge for several jumps. No need to ask a kind stranger for an assist when stranded….

Simply connect to the battery, positive (red) first, followed by negative (black)… power it on then start the car! Disconnect in reverse order.

Picked up one for each of our cars. They seem like they’d be very handy if the need arises.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R 19745A4F-C5A6-4280-9F46-70BA65EC1FBF

With the car back alive and washed. Looking forward to a nice Sunday drive to and from work to end 2023 on a high note ;)

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tom, sorry to hear that you are so busy brother. Hope you get that promotion and hopefully a bit of time off this spring/summer to get back out in that awesome ride of yours.

I use Nico battery tenders on my cars when I store them for the winter. They are good.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Ouff. That is abit ominous sounding and hope all turns out ok. 10 years sounds like a decent amount of time, but it’s really not. Hell, my car is (5) years old and I still think of it being new…

Am guilty of taking time (and health) for granted and tend to focus on work. While enjoyable, life keeps moving along…. And in the end, it’s just work and more work.

In less than a year, I’ll be eligible to retire (but probably won’t). But often think of things I’d do if I did.

The fallacy of working longer is health isn’t guaranteed for oneself or our loved ones and we aren’t forever people. My stepdad retired the moment he was able (55). Doing so allowed him to spend (3) good years with his wife (not my mom, they divorced and he remarried) then she was stricken with cancer and sadly passed away.

That lesson weighs on me some.

Thank you, Mike, for the book suggestion, I ordered a copy and look forward to reading and learning something very important.

@fatherpain

I had a “wake up” event and my perspective has definitely been shifted. I had no idea how close I was to “10 more good years and that’s it”. While I know you’re tight on time, I highly recommend Peter Attia’s Outlive. Unless you have already read this book, it is likely very much worth finding time to read it (or listen to the audio book).

ForeverCar

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ouff. That is abit ominous sounding and hope all turns out ok.

Thank you, Mike, for the book suggestion, I ordered a copy and look forward to reading and learning something very important.
In the grand scheme of things, it is certainly not bad. Using the Outlive framework though, it is very much a wake up call. I now have the language to help myself realize how scary it could get in a hurry. Basically, I was already on a train headed for well known top killers. Hopefully, I still have time to extend health span.

I hope your CTR is enjoyable on commute. I think mindset is a huge part and most driving can be enjoyable.

I have been really impressed with my ITS. I appreciate the softer suspension and some silly exhaust noise. The CTR seats are amazing though.

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Fatherpain’s 2018 Type R E6632749-F7E6-44CF-8C71-07D1108965E2

Thank you Jeff. The job I'm going for is a mixed bag. Am currently in supervision with a chance at transitioning to management, which is a more lucrative gig. Especially pertaining to retirement. The promotion list I’m on expires the end of this year. If unsuccessful, it won’t be the end of my world. Just means I’ll work longer and won’t be doing much track driving post career lol.

Yes super impressed with the battery tenders. Never knew there was such a thing until searched for jumper cables on Amazon then coming across them. Seems to be a must have emergency item for any

Has been awhile since making any changes for the Type R, in fact I’ve still not completely reassembled the interior.

The exterior has held up surprisingly well considering the car is not garaged. Can’t say enough about the merits of PPF and ceramic coating for a long term keeper.

I intend to erect a covered carport out of unistrut and have most of the materials. Time is what I’ve been lacking of late, lol.

Tom, sorry to hear that you are so busy brother. Hope you get that promotion and hopefully a bit of time off this spring/summer to get back out in that awesome ride of yours.

I use Nico battery tenders on my cars when I store them for the winter. They are good.

metal_driver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Agree with you in the merits if ppf.

Understand what you are talking about in the job front. Yes, the salary level for those last few years can make a difference.

As you get older you come to realize how valuable time is though.

Your car is looking great 👍 🚗.
Sponsored