jcharnetsky

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, ABP
Country flag
I do not have experience with this specific kit, but I wrapped my chrome trim in matte metallic black vinyl from Vvivid and I’ve had no issues with it peeling. I think brushed car washes are fine for the vinyl, just be careful with pressure washers and direct pressure sprays on the wrap and you should be fine. I’m in the process of wrapping everything on my car on my own and I’ve never had an issue with the vinyl coming off. See the photo for my DIY job on the chrome trim.

B43B77BE-F4DD-495A-90A0-0E25CDC42C3A.jpeg
Did you have to remove the chrome pieces or just wrap them while on the car?
Sponsored

KMui

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
I bought it from the guy on this forum on the 4th and he still hasn't shipped it yet. Hopefully he's on vacation!

OP
OP

Kooltint

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Country flag
Sorry for being out of the loop but I've been extremely busy. On top of that, I came back to check on PM's and found I had been blocked for unauthorized spamming but after notifying the administrator that I was a paying sponsor, everything was resolved.

KMui

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T CVT
Country flag
@Kooltint I was able to get my money back thru paypal. I would say to keep up communication for customers who have bought from you at least. Are you still able to accommodate orders?

OP
OP

Kooltint

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Country flag
@Kooltint I was able to get my money back thru paypal. I would say to keep up communication for customers who have bought from you at least. Are you still able to accommodate orders?
Yes. I'll be more diligent in checking my messages on this forum.

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just did this, this week. A few tips/thoughts.

1) Get a REALLY sharp Xacto knife or similar to make your cuts, because there will be overage (not a bad thing). I cut the overage off a couple of times in the seam between the chrome and the black rubber/plastic end caps... but that left a sliver of chrome showing. While I was leery of cutting atop the black rubber/plastic end caps, that is the place to cut.

2) I always started attaching the vinyl on the ends that had angled cuts.

3) It is tricky getting full coverage of the triangular portions of chrome behind the rear doors. I understand why there isn't extra vinyl in that section, because there is no where to tuck excess in that area - but you have to really position it JUST RIGHT to not have any chrome showing at the edges. I have slivers of chrome showing there, as well.

4) Once you get the vinyl started above the windows, I advise opening the doors from there on, closing at the end to cut off excess. Furthermore, I strongly recommend lining up the vinyl on the BOTTOM of the chrome that is above the windows. The top of the chrome has a lip that excess vinyl can curl over - the bottom does not. Once I switched to that technique, the vinyl on the doors was pretty darn easy.

I got the black matte, and it is a pretty good match to the black plastic in those areas of the car. Not a perfect color match, but pretty good.

I'm pleased with the result, as the chrome slivers are barely noticeable and, well, I'm not a perfectionist in that area. I will keep it on for a couple of years before peeling it off to avoid potential residue issues... assuming it lasts through the local car washes that are a must through Illinois winters.

Good luck!

OP
OP

Kooltint

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Accord
Country flag
Just did this, this week. A few tips/thoughts.

1) Get a REALLY sharp Xacto knife or similar to make your cuts, because there will be overage (not a bad thing). I cut the overage off a couple of times in the seam between the chrome and the black rubber/plastic end caps... but that left a sliver of chrome showing. While I was leery of cutting atop the black rubber/plastic end caps, that is the place to cut.

2) I always started attaching the vinyl on the ends that had angled cuts.

3) It is tricky getting full coverage of the triangular portions of chrome behind the rear doors. I understand why there isn't extra vinyl in that section, because there is no where to tuck excess in that area - but you have to really position it JUST RIGHT to not have any chrome showing at the edges. I have slivers of chrome showing there, as well.

4) Once you get the vinyl started above the windows, I advise opening the doors from there on, closing at the end to cut off excess. Furthermore, I strongly recommend lining up the vinyl on the BOTTOM of the chrome that is above the windows. The top of the chrome has a lip that excess vinyl can curl over - the bottom does not. Once I switched to that technique, the vinyl on the doors was pretty darn easy.

I got the black matte, and it is a pretty good match to the black plastic in those areas of the car. Not a perfect color match, but pretty good.

I'm pleased with the result, as the chrome slivers are barely noticeable and, well, I'm not a perfectionist in that area. I will keep it on for a couple of years before peeling it off to avoid potential residue issues... assuming it lasts through the local car washes that are a must through Illinois winters.

Good luck!
Subaru uses the same vinyl on its WRX and I'm pretty sure they intend for it to last a lot longer than 2 years. I don't see any danger in glue residue until maybe 10 years down the road.

Honda Hopeful

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Subaru uses the same vinyl on its WRX and I'm pretty sure they intend for it to last a lot longer than 2 years. I don't see any danger in glue residue until maybe 10 years down the road.
Good to know, thanks! The articles I read online were predominantly about commercial vinyl applications on vehicles for branding or advertisement.

AREA

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic SI coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Received mine fast through ebay!

grumpyguy6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si sedan, 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@Kooltint any chance you make/sell precut DIY window tint kits for our cars? I’m hesitant to tackle a DIY tint kit, but with how great my experience was with your chrome delete kit, I think I’d be willing to try.

Civicguy1206

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic EX-L Hatchback HFP
Vehicle Showcase
10th Generation Civic Sedan https://www.ebay.com/itm/263417987094
10th Generation Civic Hatchback https://www.ebay.com/itm/263455454696
10th Generation Civic Coupe https://www.ebay.com/itm/253434075631
10th Generation Accord Sedan https://www.ebay.com/itm/253331142128
9th Generation Accord Coupe https://www.ebay.com/itm/263417641723
9th Generation Accord Sedan https://www.ebay.com/itm/263510723450
It says the one for the hatchback doesn't fit my 2018 hatchback. Hmmm?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.