Fast-Forward/Rewind when playing music via Bluetooth?

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 1.5L Turbo
Country flag
I recently bought a 2019 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport and am loving it! My only gripe so far is that windshield wipers don't have a variable intermittent speed setting (was used to having 6 intermittent speed settings on my 2004 Ford Ranger I had before this). This question might be my second gripe if it's not possible. First-world problems, I know, LOL!

My Civic has what the manual refers to as the "color audio system" (not the touchscreen "Display Audio" system) - see picture below. On most Bluetooth audio interfaces I've used, including the Pioneer head unit I had in my 2004 Ranger, holding down the "previous track" or "next track" buttons will rewind or fast-forward, respectively. However, that doesn't seem to work on this interface using either the buttons below the volume knob or on the steering wheel. Is it not possible to do this? If not, I'm surprised, as it seems like a basic function that should be a given. I can't seem to find it in the manual. The connected device is an iPhone. I know of course that I can do it on the iPhone itself, but that's a bit more cumbersome, especially if my phone is being charged or in a holster. It also requires me to look at the phone screen, which is not very safe while driving.

Honda Civic 10th gen Fast-Forward/Rewind when playing music via Bluetooth? 1612144964824
Sponsored

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone? Bueller?

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
So I take it by the lack of any replies that it's impossible to use the built-in audio interface to fast-forward or rewind? I find that very strange, but ok...guess I'll just have to learn to live with it and it will remain one of life's mysteries :confused:

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
Well you could get an Amazon Echo Auto to add hands free Alexa to your car. It'll work with Amazon Music. Not sure if it'll work with other media apps or not.

Last edited:
OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well you could get an Amazon Echo Auto to add hands free Alexa to your car. It'll work with Amazon Music. Not sure if it'll work with other media apps or not.
Well I've already got hands free with Siri, but that doesn't work for fast-forwarding or rewinding music. I can't believe this can't be controlled with the buttons. Heck, even my cheap $20 pair of bluetooth headphones can do that!

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Well I've already got hands free with Siri, but that doesn't work for fast-forwarding or rewinding music. I can't believe this can't be controlled with the buttons. Heck, even my cheap $20 pair of bluetooth headphones can do that!
I didn't realize you're using IOS. You can't ffw/rw songs? Alexa can do ffw/rw if the app supports it. Google Assistant can do it too.

The owner's manual only says the buttons "change files" so you might be out of luck. Maybe it will work with another media app?

Honda Civic 10th gen Fast-Forward/Rewind when playing music via Bluetooth? 1612487837504

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I didn't realize you're using IOS. You can't ffw/rw songs?
Not with Siri, and to be honest I wouldn't be really satisfied with that even if it did work. Much easier just to press and hold a button than have to talk to the phone. As I said in my OP, I know I can use the phone screen, but it would be much easier/safer to just do so with the buttons in the car (steering wheel or console). Seems like quite a major oversight in the system - I haven't used an audio device in decades that couldn't fast-forward or rewind.

While I'm at it making "first world problem" complaints, I'll add that I also don't like that you can't display the track time on screen (elapsed time / total time). Guess I just need to buy an iPad and mount it to the console/dash, LOL!

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
While I'm at it making "first world problem" complaints, I'll add that I also don't like that you can't display the track time on screen (elapsed time / total time). Guess I just need to buy an iPad and mount it to the console/dash, LOL!
Neah easier to just replace the head unit with a better one. The Color Audio system doesn't provide vehicle setting anyway right? So you could easily replace the head unit.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Neah easier to just replace the head unit with a better one. The Color Audio system doesn't provide vehicle setting anyway right? So you could easily replace the head unit.
Correct - no vehicle settings, only audio. Will look into it. Thanks!

KevCarver

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Civic Si
Country flag
I can't help you on the stereo issue, my '16 had that head unit, but I don't really recall if I tried to ff/rw on it. I've had the touch screen since '19. Neither car came with variable int wipers, but that has been solved here:
Variable Int Mod, and it's a great addition!

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't help you on the stereo issue, my '16 had that head unit, but I don't really recall if I tried to ff/rw on it. I've had the touch screen since '19. Neither car came with variable int wipers, but that has been solved here:
Variable Int Mod, and it's a great addition!
Thanks. Regarding wiper mod - looks a little involved, but I probably just need to study that more before I feel comfortable delving into that project. It's a shame that Honda considers that a luxury feature. Seems like it should be as basic as DRLs and not something we should have to mod to get to work!

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just an update:
I accidentally discovered that you CAN rewind/fast-forward music if you connect the iPhone via USB ("dock connector"). It also shows cover art and extra controls such as shuffle, repeat, etc. I'll probably never use this except when charging my phone, though, because I don't like to be tethered.

Also, if any of you guys have this same audio system and you have trouble connecting to your phone via Bluetooth (mine wouldn't connect all of a sudden yesterday), the only way to delete the phone from the system is by pressing the PHONE button on the head unit (top right button with the picture of a phone on it) and then going to Bluetooth. If you press the MENU/CLOCK button and go to the Bluetooth menu there, there is no option to delete a phone, only add one (not very logical, but whatever). Once I deleted my phone, I was easily able to add it again and repair it successfully.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Just an update:
I accidentally discovered that you CAN rewind/fast-forward music if you connect the iPhone via USB ("dock connector"). It also shows cover art and extra controls such as shuffle, repeat, etc. I'll probably never use this except when charging my phone, though, because I don't like to be tethered.
When it's tethered, is it using the bluetooth music player or the USB Drive music player? If USB, then you could just plug in a USB drive and play from that.

OP
OP
usagora

usagora

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
When it's tethered, is it using the bluetooth music player or the USB Drive music player? If USB, then you could just plug in a USB drive and play from that.
USB. Problem with using a USB drive is I then lose Siri control ("Hey Siri, play songs by [artist] shuffled" etc.) and am stuck navigating thousands of music files from the on-screen folder system. That's a no-go.
Sponsored