amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
Well.. not this time.. But I've had 3 VWs over the years that I kept for a combined 24 years.. each for between 120K-220K miles and none of them was any worse in reliability than my current Honda. Sorry. Only good experiences for me.
I guess you are one of the lucky ones. 1 in every 52 engines failures is not very reliable in my book, and does not inspire to much confidence

https://www.osv.ltd.uk/are-volkswagen-reliable/
Sponsored

Last edited:

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
You've got "planned obsolescence" and then you've got FCA-level.

Honda isn't that far gone yet.
Right, right! I enjoy driving some FCA vehicles - the Hellcat, Trackhawk, and Giulia Quadrifoglio are a few examples, but I wouldn't spend my own money on one. I also enjoy driving the VW Golf GTI and R, but I probably wouldn't keep one past the factory warranty period.

I tend not to keep vehicles past their warranty period, so resale value is more important to me than long-term reliability. Still, I'd rather have a vehicle with a short warranty that doesn't require any warranty repairs than one with a long warranty that will be well-utilized.

My search for a Miata is proving fruitless. I've also considered a BRZ, but it just doesn't excite me. I have a feeling I might end up back in another red Si sedan like the one I had.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Right, right! I enjoy driving some FCA vehicles - the Hellcat, Trackhawk, and Giulia Quadrifoglio are a few examples, but I wouldn't spend my own money on one. I also enjoy driving the VW Golf GTI and R, but I probably wouldn't keep one past the factory warranty period.

I tend not to keep vehicles past their warranty period, so resale value is more important to me than long-term reliability. Still, I'd rather have a vehicle with a short warranty that doesn't require any warranty repairs than one with a long warranty that will be well-utilized.

My search for a Miata is proving fruitless. I've also considered a BRZ, but it just doesn't excite me. I have a feeling I might end up back in another red Si sedan like the one I had.
I would easily buy and without hesitation a Toyota (Camry) or Lexus at 100K. Zero hesitation. Unless I am looking for that weekend or occasional pleasure only car, if a car makes me want to sell it before the warranty expires it's not worth buying

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
I have a feeling I might end up back in another red Si sedan like the one I had.
A 2020 Red Si Sedan sounds inevitable :yes:

P.S. You're probably my all time favorite poster, so having you back full time would be a great welcome to this forum :thumbsup:

MutatedMango

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si FC3
Country flag
Test drove the 3.5L and while it definitely has more power, I liked the 8spd DCT better

The 2.4l is e K24W7 206hp/184tq

The transmission shifts very fast
Does Ktuner have support for that motor? Would be sick if they did

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag

I hear you.

At the risk of offending the purists here, I'd say if Honda put the 8spd DCT in the Si, I'd have considered upgrading to that.

Does Ktuner have support for that motor? Would be sick if they did
Dunno, probably?

I wouldn't bother with it though, it's not a performance car. It's not terrible, but it's a boat compared to the Si.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I've heard they're really great cars. Outside the powertrain, I'm mostly interested how they are as a car... their ride... creature comforts... etc. I know the RSX blew away a 7th gen Civic at the time. I havent looked at an Acura since other than a TL SH-AWD but could never track down a manual.
Hi Charles. I found the second gen Acura TSX's to be gems with their manual transmissions and K series motors. The leather electric seats are comfortable and sound system very good. One in good condition is worth about 8k, while lesser ones go for 5-7k. Read any owner reviews and these are beloved rides!

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hi Charles. I found the second gen Acura TSX's to be gems with their manual transmissions and K series motors. The leather electric seats are comfortable and sound system very good. One in good condition is worth about 8k, while lesser ones go for 5-7k. Read any owner reviews and these are beloved rides!
Friend of mine had an automatic one - 2004? he put about 200k on it everything original. It was the automatic, though. He sold it and got a CRV just last year. He loved it, but needed more room and wanted something new.

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I might just be too used to the stiffness of the si suspension and also the tires.

Might just be a bit of perception wobble

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You got me red handed

Any input on that thread?
Love the comparison. There's a lot of hate on the TLX (some of it rightfully so, to be honest), but it's a fantastic deal used, and the 2.4L with the 8DCT is probably the sweet spot for most people.

Do you feel the P-AWS system at all?

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Love the comparison. There's a lot of hate on the TLX (some of it rightfully so, to be honest), but it's a fantastic deal used, and the 2.4L with the 8DCT is probably the sweet spot for most people.

Do you feel the P-AWS system at all?
Hard to tell. There's body roll on turns at speed - but I feel the vehicle turns pretty well if you ignore that.

Not sure if it's the paws or something else.

I am a bit concerned about reliability of the transmission, but I guess I have a warranty and of course money and credit if something comes up.

Best feature so far according to the kids is the rear seat HVAC vents.

It definitely ain't fast. But I don't think anyone really expects that it is or should be.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hard to tell. There's body roll on turns at speed - but I feel the vehicle turns pretty well if you ignore that.

Not sure if it's the paws or something else.

I am a bit concerned about reliability of the transmission, but I guess I have a warranty and of course money and credit if something comes up.

Best feature so far according to the kids is the rear seat HVAC vents.

It definitely ain't fast. But I don't think anyone really expects that it is or should be.
It's not always about speed, but I have to say I got really lucky with the Lexus. It's fast, quiet and comfortable and can handle curvy roads with no issues. Just put brand new Michelin Pilots on them today, the front tires were worn and making the car pull a little to the right and affecting steering. Now everything is right as rain. I do miss the mpg I got from the Si, now I am spending about $10 more a week on gas. That's the price you pay for a 306 hp V6

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I know the prelude was smaller than the TLX but it handled very well with the four wheel steer I also drove a prelude with out it and there was a difference in the handling
Sponsored