amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
I went from a 2003 Infiniti I-35 - smooth 6 cylinder, automatic, comfortable leather to my '17 SI two years ago.

40,000 miles later, I can say that I am happy with my Honda about 98 % of the time. Bad traffic sucks
no matter what you are driving unless it is a self driving car (never!).

A quieter and better ride is not that big a deal. I can still carry on a conversation, or easily hear the radio even at low volume.
I am not getting beat to death, even in Sports mode, just not the level of suspension isolation as in some cars.

If anything, I sometimes miss the comparative rawness of some past cars I have owned. We are talking MGB, MR2, etc.
Even with their 'flaws' they had character for weeks and came with a sense of joy not easily found in most of today's offerings.
If you went back to those raw cars you drove in the past, you would find that driving them now would get really old. I had a 1980 VW Rabbit, it was as raw as it gets (no power anything, loud, rattling noises), but in my youth I loved that car. I drove all over Southern California traffic and never seemed to get tired from it. Today if I just heard the engine I would be like, nah. Its kind of like that awesome movie you loved when you were a teen, if you watched it today you would probably say what the hell!
Sponsored

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan 2012 Honda Accord LX-P
Country flag
If you went back to those raw cars you drove in the past, you would find that driving them now would get really old. I had a 1980 VW Rabbit, it was as raw as it gets (no power anything, loud, rattling noises), but in my youth I loved that car. I drove all over Southern California traffic and never seemed to get tired from it. Today if I just heard the engine I would be like, nah. Its kind of like that awesome movie you loved when you were a teen, if you watched it today you would probably say what the hell!
Those are affectionately called "member berries"

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Those are affectionately called "member berries"
Ha ha, unfortunately I never watched South Park. Maybe an episode or two. I should binge watch it

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
I’ve been driving stick for 17 years, and it’s impossible for me to get tired. It’s the only way to drive. Automatics are so dumb, and sluggish, and they’re always confused and unsure of what to do next: “do I go, do I shift, what does he want? Does he want to park. Ok let’s park” and it’s just like yuck!!!

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I’ve been driving stick for 17 years, and it’s impossible for me to get tired. It’s the only way to drive. Automatics are so dumb, and sluggish, and they’re always confused and unsure of what to do next: “do I go, do I shift, what does he want? Does he want to park. Ok let’s park” and it’s just like yuck!!!
If the last time you have driven an automatic was 17 years ago, you should know that they are not like your fathers auto trans. Now they are super fast, super smart and super smooth. To quote @kshawn who built a 360 WHP Si: "Manuals don't win races"...or something like that

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If the last time you have driven an automatic was 17 years ago, you should know that they are not like your fathers auto trans. Now they are super fast, super smart and super smooth. To quote @kshawn who built a 360 WHP Si: "Manuals don't win races"...or something like that
Manuals are better terms of control - but if you compare how fast this DCT shifts with my wife's 5spd auto on her k24 powered Accord, it's like night and day.

We are talking like dial up vs broadband.

There's a time and place for both, and for my personal choice I chose the easy one because lazy and new autos are significantly better.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
It’s also a pleasure to drive and not have to worry about the jerky 1st to second shift and awful rev hang.
Anyone want to buy an '18 Si coupe for like $30k? It doesn't have any weird transmission issues or any apparent rev hang problems. lol

Seriously though, I feel with all the complaining about those two things, I must have gotten the only "good" Si.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yeah, used to be manuals were cheaper, got better gas mileage, and accelerated quicker. Now, the autos are better in every category and cost the same as the manual version if they offer one. I remember riding in a coworkers 135i for the first time. I could not believe how quick that thing shifted. Like God couldn’t do it faster.

Anyway, only reason to have a manual nowadays is cause you enjoy it. I love mine MOST of the time. The rev hang doesn’t bother me very often and I’ve never had a problem shifting it smoothly. She’s a keeper!

saz468

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 civic EX Aegean blue metallic
Country flag
I know about no power anything back in 85 had ( had JR license) my first car was a 1963 rambler American
Drum brakes all around no power steering no power brakes no air conditioned am radio the only option was auto it had a flathead six with a whooping 75 hp I think the car weighed nearly 3000 pounds the squirrels didn’t have too worry about crossing the street when I was driving down the street with that thing they could out run it

garoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 RYP S2K, 18 CW CTR
Country flag
No. I have never actually owned an automatic. But I have driven many new ones and old ones. I owned a CVT 2017 CR-V for a year. Hated the CVT.

I am not trying to beat anybody with the cars I buy. I don’t care for the shaved half a second with the DCT. Who is one trying to beat? Your theoretical manual transmission self? Who cares! I rather be engaged in the driving experience. I won’t care whether the car is manual or automatic when the car can legally full self-drive me automatically and I can work-from-car. And even then my fun car will be a manual.

OP
OP
T_A_H

T_A_H

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No. I have never actually owned an automatic. But I have driven many new ones and old ones. I owned a CVT 2017 CR-V for a year. Hated the CVT.

I am not trying to beat anybody with the cars I buy. I don’t care for the shaved half a second with the DCT. Who is one trying to beat? Your theoretical manual transmission self? Who cares! I rather be engaged in the driving experience. I won’t care whether the car is manual or automatic when the car can legally full self-drive me automatically and I can work-from-car. And even then my fun car will be a manual.
Well for me, its not about speed at all. It's about not having to pay that 10-15% extra attention to driving that I can pay attention talking to the kids, etc.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

OK

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Anyone want to buy an '18 Si coupe for like $30k? It doesn't have any weird transmission issues or any apparent rev hang problems. lol

Seriously though, I feel with all the complaining about those two things, I must have gotten the only "good" Si.
Do you ship to Nigeria? Also do you take credit card... I mean cards?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Do you ship to Nigeria? Also do you take credit card... I mean cards?

For 30k plus a small 10k delivery fee, I will drive it to Nigeria. I can't be responsible for any damage incurred during "shipping"

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For 30k plus a small 10k delivery fee, I will drive it to Nigeria. I can't be responsible for any damage incurred during "shipping"
I thank you, and my father the king of Nigeria thanks you. I'll throw in an iTunes code as well
Sponsored