BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
Hey there everyone! Was wondering if anyone else has ever had/heard of this? In the video you hear this very small click when the clutch nears full disengagement. Its a 2021 Civic Type R and i’ve owned it since November last year and have only recently started hearing this every so often. The weird thing is that it happens super randomly! I took a 1 hour trip a few days ago and never heard or felt it but today I went to the grocery store really quick and it happened. Decided I’d try and get a clip of it before my dealer says they can’t “hear” anything and that I’m nuts :( haha

Last edited:

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
Look up adjust master clutch cylinder - it's a simple thing you can check and adjust and see if the noise goes away. For what it's worth I couldn't hear anything on the video but check things out and you may resolve whatever it is you are hearing.

OP
OP
BackslashBrian

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
Look up adjust master clutch cylinder - it's a simple thing you can check and adjust and see if the noise goes away. For what it's worth I couldn't hear anything on the video but check things out and you may resolve whatever it is you are hearing.
Will do, thank you!

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Hey there everyone! Was wondering if anyone else has ever had/heard of this? In the video you hear this very small click when the clutch nears full disengagement. Its a 2021 Civic Type R and i’ve owned it since November last year and have only recently started hearing this every so often. The weird thing is that it happens super randomly! I took a 1 hour trip a few days ago and never heard or felt it but today I went to the grocery store really quick and it happened. Decided I’d try and get a clip of it before my dealer says they can’t “hear” anything and that I’m nuts :( haha
I just fixed one of these last week. I removed the two bolts holding the clutch slave cylinder and then cleaned and lubricated the clutch fork where the little pivot ball sits on the fork. Used some high temp grease. Worked the pedal a few times and drove it around and noise was gone. Customer said it came back after doing some canyon runs but then it went away and didn't come back again. He brought the car back and still no noise, the clicking noise near the end of the pedal travel was still gone when I looked at the car a second time.

OP
OP
BackslashBrian

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
I just fixed one of these last week. I removed the two bolts holding the clutch slave cylinder and then cleaned and lubricated the clutch fork where the little pivot ball sits on the fork. Used some high temp grease. Worked the pedal a few times and drove it around and noise was gone. Customer said it came back after doing some canyon runs but then it went away and didn't come back again. He brought the car back and still no noise, the clicking noise near the end of the pedal travel was still gone when I looked at the car a second time.
Ohhh thanks for the info Drusa! I’m gonna try and take a look at the clutch slave cylinder this weekend, it looks like its the main issue ?? Do you think it’s easy to do all that on my own? I’ve definitely worked on my car before in the past but this is my first manual transmission car… ?

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
Ohhh thanks for the info Drusa! I’m gonna try and take a look at the clutch slave cylinder this weekend, it looks like its the main issue ?? Do you think it’s easy to do all that on my own? I’ve definitely worked on my car before in the past but this is my first manual transmission car… ?
I got to it with a long extension and a 12mm socket and a lot of swearing, you may need to take the intake off to get at it better. It's pretty straight forward.

OP
OP
BackslashBrian

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
I got to it with a long extension and a 12mm socket and a lot of swearing, you may need to take the intake off to get at it better. It's pretty straight forward.
Thanks Drusa ????

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
If you are under warranty, this is something that is covered. Though they end up replacing the clutch slave cylinder rather than just adding grease.

Note, that this issue happens to me every year or so when the temps drop. Though I normally hear it first starting around spring time then get really bad once winter starts. I've also noticed that it happens more frequently when the car is driven more vs when the car is driven less. It's also worse in colder weather, but once it starts, it'll continue happening in warmer weather too.

The click/noises can be felt/heard when the pedal rebounds from the depressed position normally. Rarely as you are pressing the pedal down.

OP
OP
BackslashBrian

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
If you are under warranty, this is something that is covered. Though they end up replacing the clutch slave cylinder rather than just adding grease.

Note, that this issue happens to me every year or so when the temps drop. Though I normally hear it first starting around spring time then get really bad once winter starts. I've also noticed that it happens more frequently when the car is driven more vs when the car is driven less. It's also worse in colder weather, but once it starts, it'll continue happening in warmer weather too.
Ahhh I see I see. Yeah it started happening when the weather got very cold here in New Jersey and since its my daily, I’m starting to hear it more often :( I don’t know if I should take it to get fixed because even though I’m still under warranty, do I want them replacing my whole clutch slave cylinder if all it needs is some grease? Also if I’ll start hearing it even in warm weather, is there ultimate no way to fix the issue?

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Ahhh I see I see. Yeah it started happening when the weather got very cold here in New Jersey and since its my daily, I’m starting to hear it more often :( I don’t know if I should take it to get fixed because even though I’m still under warranty, do I want them replacing my whole clutch slave cylinder if all it needs is some grease? Also if I’ll start hearing it even in warm weather, is there ultimate no way to fix the issue?
Once the issue starts, it won't go away until you fix it. It gets worse and begins presenting itself in colder weather. Whether or not you want them replacing the entire cylinder is up to you.

Note my sample of 2 may not be significant (since I've only had the issue occur twice in the time I've had the car).

OP
OP
BackslashBrian

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
Once the issue starts, it won't go away until you fix it. It gets worse and begins presenting itself in colder weather. Whether or not you want them replacing the entire cylinder is up to you.

Note my sample of 2 may not be significant (since I've only had the issue occur twice in the time I've had the car).
Ohh ok I see what you mean ?? thanks Tinyman!

OP
OP
BackslashBrian

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
Wanted to provide an update on how this has been going. After going to a few different Honda dealership multiple times, I FINALLY got them to hear the noise in my clutch and diagnose it as a problem with the Clutch Master Cylinder (which is what I kept telling every dealership the issue was). They are going to order the part which is on backorder and then when it comes in, they'll replace it for free under warranty. I want to say that for anyone that has this problem and still has their warranty, keep pushing the Honda techs. I don't know why but its tough for them to admit there is a problem with the CMC even after showing them proof and the numerous pages on this forum! I had one Honda Service tech tell me that the problem comes from pressing my clutch all the way in... the tech told me I should half clutch since my car is "newer" and "has systems that help with clutch engagement". Pure and utter stupidity to tell a customer that lol. Never going back there (and that's where I bought my Type R from lol). One thing I want to add is that I had to drive around for about 15/20 minutes for the noise to be loud enough for them to hear/feel in the clutch petal. Also the temp outside was 65 or 70 degrees. The sound is much more audible in that temp rather than colder temps for some reason.

TL;DR: The problem is the clutch master cylinder. The Service techs will either try and add lube to it or they'll straight up replace it :) Don't let them fool you into thinking its anything different

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I FINALLY got them to hear the noise in my clutch and diagnose it as a problem with the Clutch Master Cylinder (which is what I kept telling every dealership the issue was). They are going to order the part which is on backorder and then when it comes in, they'll replace it for free under warranty.
This sounds (pun acknowledged) like the CMC issue we had in the EP3. Something about a diaphragm that would eventually leak, I think. One fix was to substitute a different design of CMC from another Civic, but I can't remember exactly which generation and model it was.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Wanted to provide an update on how this has been going. After going to a few different Honda dealership multiple times, I FINALLY got them to hear the noise in my clutch and diagnose it as a problem with the Clutch Master Cylinder (which is what I kept telling every dealership the issue was). They are going to order the part which is on backorder and then when it comes in, they'll replace it for free under warranty. I want to say that for anyone that has this problem and still has their warranty, keep pushing the Honda techs. I don't know why but its tough for them to admit there is a problem with the CMC even after showing them proof and the numerous pages on this forum! I had one Honda Service tech tell me that the problem comes from pressing my clutch all the way in... the tech told me I should half clutch since my car is "newer" and "has systems that help with clutch engagement". Pure and utter stupidity to tell a customer that lol. Never going back there (and that's where I bought my Type R from lol). One thing I want to add is that I had to drive around for about 15/20 minutes for the noise to be loud enough for them to hear/feel in the clutch petal. Also the temp outside was 65 or 70 degrees. The sound is much more audible in that temp rather than colder temps for some reason.

TL;DR: The problem is the clutch master cylinder. The Service techs will either try and add lube to it or they'll straight up replace it :) Don't let them fool you into thinking its anything different
This will fix the issue, but it will come back within 1 to 2 years. It normally starts up when the temps begin rising after the winter and just stick around. It gets worse with time. Also, if you let the car sit for a while (not drive it daily) it will also silence it for a little while too.

OP
OP
BackslashBrian

BackslashBrian

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Civic Type R (SGP)
Country flag
This will fix the issue, but it will come back within 1 to 2 years. It normally starts up when the temps begin rising after the winter and just stick around. It gets worse with time. Also, if you let the car sit for a while (not drive it daily) it will also silence it for a little while too.
Ahh I see I see, I'll keep all this in mind. So there basically isn't a way to ever stop this from happening then right? Honda just doesn't make good CMC's or is it something else?
Sponsored