Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
For the most part, the tuning reliability thread is showing that the vast majority of tuned 10th gen Civics are running trouble free. Having said that though, here are the major failures that have been posted in that thread so far:

Coupe-R
Vehicle: 2018 Civic EX-T CVT coupe

Total tuned time: 16 months

Total tuned mileage: 16,000+miles at time of writing

Tuning device(s) used: started with Hondata CARB, quickly swithed to KTuner V2

Tunes used: Custom dyno tune, multi-map, main map is factory like tune, performance maps 22-23psi. Early spool used to be on, now early spool is off.

Fuel used: Shell 93 or Mobil 93

Additional engine mods: PRL catless downpipe v2, PRL frontpipe, AFE Takeda intake (switching to PRL Cobra Race in the next 20 days)

Problems/issues: 1 CVT failure around 33,000 miles, replaced under warranty (thankfully).

Driving style: Average/relatively conservative during the Monday-Friday commute 28 miles each way. Sporty and aggressive on weekends. I've done a couple autocross sessions.

KMui
Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan

Total tuned time: 18 months

Total tuned mileage: 10,000+ miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Race

Tunes used: Hondata +6

Fuel used: Shell 93

Additional engine mods: Injen SRI

Problems/issues: Blown transmission after pushing too hard on 3.4.4 firmware from Hondata. Tune consisted of base +6, Increased throttle, turbo spooling, and traction control mods. When I first uploaded this tune, i had a ā€œEmissions System Problemā€. Thought it might go away after a few days but was still there after a week. One night after some spirited driving, I parked my car and suddenly the transmission was having severe issues connecting power from the engine, car was basically in limp mode. Was not able to get the car to move at all the next day. Luckily, my Honda dealer hooked me up and honored my warranty and replaced the transmission with no charge. Now currently running the previous +6 tune now with no traction control mods since I think this new tune w/ traction control (after the 3.4.4 firmware) is causing the Emissions Systems Problem code.

gtman note: This was a CVT transmission

Driving style: Iron Foot, but now more conservative after the blown tranny issue.

Tuning experience notes: Only used base tunes and mods that Hondata offered through the UI.

Syntek
Vehicle: 2016 EX-T Sedan.

Total tuned time: 2.5 years

Total tuned mileage: Over 30k miles.

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata / KTuner v1.2

Tunes used: Hondata +9 imported and calibrated for the CVT then K Tuner 21 map after the head gasket blew.

Fuel used: Shell 91 80% of the time / Chevron 91 20% of the time.

Additional engine mods: K&N SRI AirCharger intake / Mishimoto oil catch can

Problems/issues: Faulty injectors causing misfiring on cold start near 32k miles(?). Blown head gasket around 56k miles.

Driving style: Same as my current Si, except without the rev-hang because.... CVT...

kshawn
Vehicle: 2017 civic SI coupe

Total tuned time: 2 years

Total tuned mileage: 38k

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2, Ktuner stage 2 starter(me adjusting), meth tune on stock turbo(derek), meth/e35 tune on gtx2860r (Derek)

Additional engine mods: prl intake, turbo kit, and sticker.

Fuel used: 93(8% eth) mixed with more X85 on some days to make E35. Meth injection.

Problems/issues: knock knock. Who's there? Rod. Rod who?. Rod threw you.

Driving style: aggresive like any other 24 year old.

Myx
Vehicle: 2018 Honda EX-T Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 2.5 years

Total tuned mileage: 27100 miles

Tuning device(s): KTuner v1, Ktuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2, TSP Stage 1, Custom Tunes

Fuel used: 92-93 Octane, Boostane

Additional engine mods: Myxal SRI-CAI (PRL Race Maf, S&B Air Filter, 27Won Turbo Inlet PIpe, Utilizing PRL Cobra CAI PIping), Si Turbo, Depo Racing Intercooler and Pipes, 3" PRL Catted Downpipe, Custom Tune

Problems/issues: None **Until recently**

Driving style: Speed Limit City/Highway 95%, 4% Dragstrip, 1% Datalogging Wide open throttle

Tuning experience notes: Absolutely great experience with zero issues from the tuner or the car. However, I blew my engine a couple days ago testing what I should not have been testing. Was testing a race gas tune with non-race gas in the car. Was trouble shooting why on map 1 and map 2 I was only getting 17psi. Figured I must've loaded the wrong tune (which I did). Switched to map 3, which was for race gas, but it was too aggressive for non-race gas. Starting at about 4800rpm, ran wide open throttle and somewhere between 4800rpm-5500rpm, the engine went POOF. Found a piece of connecting rod on bottom of engine with oil everywhere. I'll admit it felt like a Hellcat for a few seconds. o_O :p Engine currently being torn apart for analysis and rebuild at race shop. To be continued!

Notes/Advice:
1) Always practice safety,
2) When running hard, ALWAYS make sure the car is running 100% before you do.
3) Even while trouble shooting, take baby steps while ramping up power,
4) Never make an assumption on what tuning maps you are running on. Know 100% what you have uploaded and be sure you have the proper fuel(s) to support those maps at ALL times.
5) Even if you have a custom tune with a map for higher octane fuel, do not load it up unless you are running that fuel. Switch to a TSP Stage 1, Ktuner Stage 2 or custom tune that have all three maps for the octane you are running on. Don't put yourself in that situation, period.

FlyByeBlueSi
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 11 months

Total tuned mileage: 14k miles 54k-68k miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata (non carb)

Tunes used: +9, +6 and Prl base map

Fuel used: 93

Additional engine mods: PRL CAI(race MAF), PRL downpipe(catless) and front pipe, custom 3" exhaust, Mishimoto intercooler and piping, Mishimoto radiator hoses,

Problems/issues: rod through block at 54k miles, lost 4th gear at 57k miles, and Friday 05-29-2020 blown head gasket(while idling at Taco Bell drive through) at 68k miles about to tear it down and see all the damage. EXTREMELY terrible suspension issues (OEM), turbocharger gasket oil leak, NGK plugs foul after about 3 months,

Driving style: average with some spirited driving and sometimes a little rolling fun, NO track use.

gtman note: This vehicle was purchased used with 36,000 miles already on the clock. Meaning that we don't know if the car was properly maintained or abused before FlyByeBlueSi bought it.

TheMarkedOne
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 12 months

Total tuned mileage: est 12,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used: Sams Club 93

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto SRI, PRL Downpipe, Frontpipe, Boomba Recirulating BOV

Problems/issues: Sparkplug in cylinder 1 blew out damaged and cracked the piston and block. (Motor is toast)

Driving style: No Chill, drop the clutch everywhere and top speed run any chance I get. Commute to college and work. Once done I would hit up the local meet and race anyone there, be it cruise or otherwise.

Tuning experience notes: This is the first car I bought and I had no previous tuning experience or manual experience otherwise. I learned from my friends gti and bought this. I abused the car through and through day in and day out. But I loved the thrill and wanted more power. I tuned the car with a ktuner v1.2, my laptop and ordered a tune from tsp. Unfortunately doing one of my pulls the motor blew. I'm lucky to be alive and I don't own the vehicle anymore since I would be too irresponsible with it.

blacklion703
Vehicle: 2017 Hatchback EX CVT

Total tuned time: 25 months

Total tuned mileage: 60,000

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flash Pro (Race)

Tunes used: Hondata +6, Powermetric Stage 1

Additional engine mods: Injen SRI, Injen Intercooler + piping, frontpipe and catted downpipe

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: very angry

Tuning experience notes: No issues at all. I don't beat on my car but I am not easy on it either. The tuning has made the car very fun to drive. Going to add the Sirimoto Flex Fuel kit and the PRL CVT cooler and use the Powermetric stage 2 tune

***Update***

Blew my motor at about 70100 due to Flex Fuel and not data logging to have e-tune adjusted. Totally my fault.
Switching to Ktuner this weekend and saying away from Flex Fuel.

dallasjhawk

Vehicle: 2016 Civic EX-T sedan

Total tuned time: 44 months

Total tuned mileage: 89,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro, currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +6, KTuner Starter 21, Vit 93 octane, Vit E30, TSP Stage 1 for non-Si (current)

Fuel used: Chevron 93 & Kroger e85 when running ethanol

Additional engine mods: AF Dynamic SRI, K&N Filter

Problems/issues: CVT Started getting trippy and slipping at 25k miles on Hondata. Switched to Ktuner did a custom ethanol tune and shot it to the moon. Got a new CVT under warranty. Been tuned with Ktuner now for 70k miles on the new CVT with no issues.

Driving style:
Beat the hell out of it, also cruise, taken 2600 mile road trips, a little bit of everything

gtman note: His first CVT was possibly defective from the factory (although he did push it hard with a custom ethanol tune).

BigGuyBigBrain

Vehicle: 2016 EXT Coupe CVT

Total tuned time: 6 Months

Total tuned mileage: ~7,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2

Fuel used: 91/93

Additional engine mods: None

Problems/issues: Thrown rod but iffy circumstances - I went on vacation leaving my car with my cousin, told him 91+ fuel only. He admittedly put in 87 and was pulling hard on the freeway 110+ MPH.

The same night that I get the car back, a spark plug totally fails and I go limp mode, have to replace it. It was good for 5 more months, then I get all sorts of lights on dash and flash back to stock. Car starts to misfire maybe a week later, bad plugs once more, replaced again. Maybe another week later I throw a rod pulling from a stop sign under 2K RPMS on stock tune."

Driving style:
Mostly normal, slightly aggressive when feeling it. I think this happened due to abuse and incorrectly gapped plugs.

Nickthewaffler
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 16 months+

Total tune mileage: 24,000 miles+

Tuning device: Ktuner

Tunes used: Homemade 21psi Ktuner tune with lower psi in "Gear" 1, flex fuel, aggressive turbo ramp or something like that - don't notice the difference in hard pushes tbh.

Fuel used: E30 - E50 mix chevron and g&m

Additional engine mods: PRL Cobra CAI, 2 step flex fuel, cusco motor mount, muffler delete

Driving style: First 10 minutes warm up, than spirited driving with aggressive, constant speeding and harsh acceleration with wheel spin. Average about 22mpg. Canyon runs at full throttle monthly.

Update:
Destroyed CVT at 46k miles. 2 track days running e40. Temps around 100f.
Successful replacement with SI 6sp. Added Prl downpipe and fp since making the original post.

Virhan
Vehicle: 2017 Civic CVT 1.5T Hatchback

Total tuned time: 1 month

Total tuned mileage: 1500 km

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V1.2

Tunes used: dual starter 16/18 psi, MAF self calibration, IAT retard ignition correction

Fuel used: Pertalite octane 90

Additional engine mods: K&N cone filter only w/ self mods MAF hose, pipe & heat shield
- ORD (local) downpipe catless, frontpipe, centerpipe, resonator & muffler (full system)
- china blow off valve
- Type R hood bonnet
- spark gap tightening 0.7 mm

Problems/issues: - high negative value STFT (-10%)
- high knock control, knock retard and everything about ignition
- actual ignition retard @1,250-1500 RPM
- high IAT (hard to below 50ā°C)

Driving style: slow at downtown, fast at uptown

Tuning experience notes: All issues SOLVED by tunes and all engine mods. First, device able to live monitor what actually happened, then fix the issues. STFT deviation : easy fix by calibrating, knock and ignition retard : hard to solve, finally need tightening spark gap-double heat shield mods successfully fix the issues, high IAT : solved even better than factory stock air filter (37ā°C vs 45ā°C in average).

Update - bent connecting rod

gtman notes: Car was driven through a flood. Blow off valve, self tuning and fbo without a pro custom tune all contributed to the failure IMO.

bbeem
Vehicle: 2019 Si sedan FBO

Tuned miles driven: 34,000

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner 1.2

Tunes used: TSP 1, TSP 2 e35, Phearable 2.5 e35

Fuel used: 5 gal 91 premium/6 gal e85(about e65) = e35 about 98 octane

Additional related mods: FBO, intercooler, dp, fp, exhaust, intake, clutch, flywheel, wilwood cmc and lines, rmm, 5 cusco braces, springs, fsb, rsb, wheels...

Driving style: aggressive except a few road trips. Lots of WOT but never below 3k, never lugged.

Notes: AFR, STFT and LTFT always perfect and locked on .49 kcount on e35

Problems/issues: head gaskets. Running TSP 2 and blew the oem head gasket at 1 year 18k. Replaced with oem head gasket and oem head bolts (mistake) and blew again 11 months 13k. Replaced again with cometic gasket and ARP head studs and changed to phearable 2.5. Running well again for 3 months, time will tell. No other problems.

Update: broken 4th gear

There is a coolant channel between each cylinder and therefore only two .090 slivers of gasket between each cylinder, I don't understand how more people aren't blowing head gaskets. Bad design.

hobby-man
Vehicle: 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback 6MT

Total tuned mileage: ~21,500 km (~42,500 km total mileage / 50% of km tuned)

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner V2

Tunes used: In progress custom tune with D-Rob
(formerly: KTuner 21 PSI basemap, TSP Stage 1 with Race MAF rescale by D-Rob)

Fuel used: Shell 93 / PetroCanada 94
(formerly: Esso/Shell/PetroCanada 91)

Additional related mods: 27WON full bolt ons, competition stage 2 clutch kit

Problems/issues: Lost cylinder 1 today (bent rod, wall damage) during WOT datalogging

Driving style: Slightly speedy on streets, hard bursts on highway or open roads

Tuning experience notes: put me down for a motor failure. I've bent a rod during my e-tune, on the very first revision. Which is supposed to be ultra conservative. Maybe this was a long time coming but I monitored knock control, IATs, fuel trims, AFRs, you name it. Currently working with my mechanic on a re-build / Si motor swap / built motor.

gtman note: hobby-man had run meth for a short time as well.

LukeFaz
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback sport (CVT)

Total Tuned Time: 10 months

Total Tuned Mileage: 10k+

Tuning Device: hondata flashpro

Tunes used: Hondata tune

Additional Mods: CAI, Catback Exhaust

Problems/Issues: Blown transmission and torque converter, however I did power brake, and do multiple burnouts, replaced under warranty, sold immediately

Kotaas
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 1 year with a couple months

Tuned miles driven: 30k+

Tuning device(s) used: K Tuner V2

Tunes used: Ktuner custom map, TSP 1 & 2, Custom E-Tune from D-Rob

Fuel used: 91 or e35

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra Intake Street. PRL Intercooler, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, PRL Downpipe / Front pipe. Ktuner V2
Greddy Supreme SP Exhaust, Action Clutch Stage 5 Kit, PPG Gear Set

Problems/issues: Blew my cmc at around 28k miles after doing a first gear pull trying to catch up to another car. We thought it was a clutch related problem until my 4th gear was obliterated. After inspection we noticed that the ACT clutch i had on was beat to shit also . It only survived 15-20k miles which was a bummer I loved that clutch

Driving style: Would roll race once in a blue moon. Freeway/Street driving was pretty chill slightly aggressive. I would save everything for the canyons

Tuning experience notes: Dont be surprised if something breaks after you install a shit ton of mods. This platform is made out of play-doh haha. I realized everything comes down to driving style ( & your tune) if you beat your car to shit something is ganna go boom boom.

IonEX-T
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Ext CVT

Tuned time: 10 months

Tuned Mileage: 9800km/6092miles

Tuning Device: RaceChip GTS, Ktuner V2

Tunes Used: Ktuner basemaps with adjustments, Phearable 1.5, Custom Tune by DRob

Fuel Used: 91 octane/95 octane

Additional Mods: Si turbo, Agency intercooler, 27Won W1 turbo, PRL catted downpipe, K&N intake

Driving Style: Spirited

Problems/Issues : Blown exhaust wheel on W1 turbo, looking to get repaired but will cost a fortune to get there and back. Also having a weird issue recently with the transmission where ill shift to S mode for a pull and shift back to D after but it doesn't shift right away, it will hang in the higher rpms for a second or two.

K&N intake maf scaling running lean, custom tune will resolve. After W1 install I am almost positive I am leaking oil or coolant from the feed lines. Not a huge leak but there is a noticeable smell when I open the hood after a pull.

Recently started hearing grinding like noise when I shift from R to D, could bring it to dealer but I know damaged cvt means replaced cvt and probably would not be covered under warranty. A more minor issue is after my intercooler instal my stft would be lean sometimes, nothing crazy high itā€™s just I never used to see lean fuel trims, my ltft is still always negative still.

Tuning Experience Notes: Got to experience a fully tuned W1 by DRob for one day before it went me. I will definitely miss the warp speed like top-end power it has. I put back on an Si turbo and I can't say I'm to butthurt to be running phearable 1.5 as its a great tune. Forgot how zippy and fun stock turbo is!

These are the final tuned statistics for my car. Motor has bent rods and bearing material in oil. Looking at options for rebuild, I do have an si motor lined up for 2k

gtman note : He recently swapped in an Si motor but as of 11/20/21 is dealing with a potential CVT issue. More details as available.

koivuns
Vehicle
: 2020 Si Sedan

Total tuned time: Just over 8 months

Tuned miles driven: 13,700

Current mileage: 17,000

Tunes used: Phearable Stage 1.5, 1.5R coming soon

Fuel used: Strictly costco 93

Additional related mods: PRL: CAI, FMIC, CP, SS clutch line. Comp 22lb clutch kit

Problems/issues: Lifted the head, blew the head gasket, and killed the clutch. Car is currently in the shop getting all 3 upgraded. ARP head studs, Cometic head gasket, Comp 22lb clutch kit.

Driving style: Rowdy enough to kill the clutch in 15k miles

Tuning experience notes: When i received my 1.5R tune from phearable, they said on the 2020 Si there's intermittent TPS issues when adjusting throttle padding response, and i'm now wondering if there's a way to fix this. Perhaps getting a TPS unit from a '19 Si.

Banshee
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Type R

Total tuned time: 2.5 Years

Tuned miles driven: 40,000

Tuning device used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: Started with base map. adjusted torque tables and kept within the stoichiometric airā€“fuel ratios Started with 357HP, and 392TQ Dyno at Crucial Performance in Columbus Ohio

Fuel used: 93 Octane

Additional related mods:
Eventuri cold air intake
USR catless downpipe
PRL front pipe
AFe intercooler hot and cold pipes
Remus exhaust
PRL intercooler
Mishimoto catch can
Setrab side oil cooler(from United Speed Racing)
Hasport Rear Engine mount (U70A)
USR Turbo Blanket
USR downpipe Blanket
Gold Reflective tape Wrapped all coolant and oil lines near the turbo
High flow grill
Just Race gauge for oil temp and intake temp
SPEC Clutch Stage 2+ Clutch Kit

Problems/issues: I had overheating issues late last year. The top piston ring ring scored the cylinder wall. Had a shop replace almost the whole engine. Then, 430 miles in on my 500 mile break-in, a valve broke in half, and took out the engine. The valves were almost the only thing I didn't have replaced. So now, she is in the shop for another engine replacement. I upgraded most of the items. Still waiting on a few parts, and then it will be put back in. Then Slowmotion Motorsports will tune it.

Driving style: Very Aggressive; grass definitely doesn't grow under my feet. Drive like you stole it!

wowitswrong
Vehicle: 2021 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring

Total tuned time: 6 months

Tuned miles driven: 7,500+

Tuning device used: currently using KTuner V1.2

Tune used: KTuner stage 2 basemap

Fuel used: Costco 91

Additional related mods: bone stock (for now lol)

Problems/issues: Transmission failure @ 11,000 miles, replaced under warranty.

Driving style: slightly spirited, with the occasional lead foot

Tune experience notes: first time tuning a car and man, was it worth it. Iā€™ve always wondered how the entire process worked (and it made me a bit nervous not gonna lie) but I love the car even more now. Ktuner stage 2 is really peppy off the line and is super fun zipping around town, though it does fizzle out a little on the highway (but Iā€™m not complaining honestly).

other notes:
For the trans failure, I canā€™t put my finger on it since it occurred so early, so I donā€™t know it it was tune-related or a factory defect. Came into service complaining about a weird noise coming from the front end upon acceleration, walked out needing a new transmission. Go figure.

gtman note: likely a factory defect and not tune related.

HBS18
Vehicle: 2018 Hatchback Sport 6MT

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1

Fuel used:
terrible quality pump-fuel.. supposed to be rated @ 95 RON.. but in deed it's not. nobody knows what's in there, but it moves cars.

Additional related mods: Stock everything

Problems/issues: None; except for a fluctuating k.Control number. it goes high up when revving it higher 5k rpm

Driving style: running late , traffic zigzagging by day , highway cursing by night

Tune experience notes: super fun. so happy with it. not sure how it's gonna handle summer heat, but it should be fine.

UPDATE:
Bent Rod on Cylinder # 3.
How did it happen? : 15 KM after fueling the car with bad fuel. Aggressive acceleration up-hill on 3rd gear. CEL flashed 3 times, then a loud knocking sound from top of the engine. Everything else was fine. no oil leak or what so ever.

Gas in that station caused similar failures on 4 other "tuned" cars that weekend (mine was the only Honda in the pack.

gtman note:
This occurred in Egypt.

Zedaine
Vehicle: 2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Manual

Total tuned time: 40 months total, 8 months on current tune with 27Won W1 Turbo

Tuned miles driven: 63,000+ total, 12,000 miles on former tune and 27Won W1 Turbo. 3500+ Miles on current replacement 27Won W1 turbo with the same tune. 64766 total miles driven.

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata CARB Flashpro; currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata +9, Hondata TSP Stage 1, Multiple Custom Tune's from D-rob on Hondata and Ktuner. Currently on a custom tune from D-Rob with Ktuner for the 27Won W1 Turbo and Intake with Race Maf running with a gallon of e85 (E15) with no flex fuel kit.

Fuel used: 91 Octane from Costco, Shell, Sinclair, Chevron with a Gallon of E85 to help keep knock at bay. Altitude is 5000+ so we don't have access to 93 octane fuels and there is only 1 E85 pump in the state of Utah.

Additional related mods: 27Won W1 Turbo, 27Won Turbo Inlet Pipe, 27Won Intake with Race MAF, 27Won Front Mount Intercooler, 27Won Catted Downpipe, 27Won Front Pipe, 27Won Exhaust, Exedy Stage 1 Clutch Kit, Exedy Racing Lightweight Flywheel. This clutch has been holding on 258-286 LB ft of torque for over 30,000 miles. I have also been using a Turbo Blanket since the first W1 Turbo.

Problems/issues: On 2/11/2022 I was out driving with a co-worker because he wanted to see what my car was like. Nothing new and out of the ordinary. I had let it warm up for approx. 10 minutes (5 minutes after coolant reaching operating temp) with normal driving and then started to let loose with rolling WOTs in 2nd and 3rd gear. On the 4th WOT doing a WOT in 2nd gear near the top of the rev range (6000+ rpm) there was a bang and then gray dust and smoke shot out from the sides of the hood and up through the center hood vent. It was at the moment I knew I had thrown a rod... Mileage at exactly 64766.

Perhaps I didn't let it warm up long enough that day, perhaps the rod was weakened over time from previous hard driving and today was the day it finally gave in. I am not sure.

Currently I have ordered a built short block from TSP and that will be here in approx. 8-10 weeks from today. I will be building this engine, if the head is still good I will be reusing that. While I am in there I will be upgrading the oil pump gears, head studs, and valve springs.

Crough
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT 1.5t

Total tuned time: 14 months

Tuned miles driven: 20,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro

Tunes used: Custom

Fuel used: 91

Additional related mods: Mishimoto FMIC without charge piping
RV6 Downpipe

Problems/issues: Catastrophic engine failure

Driving style: Usually calm when commuting for the MPGs, with occasional bursts when everything is warmed up.

Tune experience notes: My tuner put too much torque on the low end. That, coupled with the hatchbacks known weaknesses, was a recipe for disaster. I didn't realize it was a bad tune until I shared maps with others. I only did that once it was too late.

David228cx
Vehicle
: 2018 Hatchback Sport MT, European 1.5 non si

Total tuned time: 3.5 years

Total tuned mileage: 110.000 km

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2, Ktuner Starter 21 with mild settings, TSP Stage 1 (non-si), Custom tune by Drob from IMW

Additional engine mods: Custom 2,5'' exhaust, PRL Intercooler, 27won Intake, PRL catted downpipe, W1 turbo, ACT clutch+flywheel, mfactory LSD, 27won frontpipe, Valex racing exedy upgraded CMC

Problems/issues: The engine seems to be damaged. Not sure what yet as I haven't opened the engine and I installed a replacement engine from a crashed car.

It was all fine until I decided to add an additive for octane (one that's supposed to be clean without MMT and with detergent capabilities to clean injectors and all: 9954 Super Benzin Octane Plus).

It happened under load. My first guess was that I broke something because it might have sipped too much additive at once and that could trigger some bad knocking?

I was thinking connecting rod bearings or bent connecting rod...

colezalusky
Vehicle: 2018 civic sport hatch

Total tuned time: 5 months

Tuned miles driven: 25000

Tuning device(s) used: k tuner v1.2

Tunes used: phereable 1.5 R

Fuel used: 91 shell *canada*

Additional related mods: prl catless downpipe, prl cobra intake, prl intercooler, borla exhaust, forgetting others

Problems/issues: blown engine, filled with 91 octane and added bottle of octane booster. may of added to much?

Driving style:
usually normal driving with some wot racing but never beating the car to death

Tune experience notes: never had issues with the tune and always ran great until I added octane boost.

Gavin_Danitz

Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si

Tuned miles driven: 43k total, first tuned at 3k, 20k on big turbo

Tunes used: Drob custom

Fuel used: 93/e30

Additional related mods: fbo, rv6 turbo, e

Problems/issues: blown head gasket

Driving style: daily, spirited, autocross, track

Tune experience notes: Making this post to document that I blew a head gasket. lifted the head and coolant leaked from the middle passages into the cylinders. In the process of putting the motor back together

WhosClunk
Vehicle: 2017 EX Sedan 2.0L CVT

Total tuned miles: 32,000 tuned at 37k, currently at 70k

Tuning devices: Ktuner v1.2

Tunes used: Custom street tune VTEC @4600, redline @7200,

Fuel used: 91 Octane

Additional related mods: RV6 Catless Dp, aFe intake, muffler and res swap, BC coils, SPC camber arms, accord endlinks, whiteline rear sway bar, high flow grille. Hatch sport front bumper swap, sideskirts, front lip, rear diffuser, oem style spoiler, american modified grille, visors, smoked side markers

Problems: Weak AC, Accord endlink busted, and just recently transmission started slipping and died.

Took a couple trips from AZ to cali back to back, shouldā€™ve serviced the car before and after. I did beat on the car a lot.

SuperSlowSi

Vehicle: 2018 Si Coupe

Total tuned time: 8 months

Tuned miles driven: 15,000km (~9500 mi)

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro

Tunes used: custom dyno tune (236whp/283tq)

Fuel used: 91

Additional related mods:pRL down pipe, PRL front pipe, PRL intercooler and charge pipes. 27won CAI.

Problems/issues: None

Driving style: Track days, time attack and daily driving in summer.

Tune experience notes:

Weā€™ll i unfortunately have to report a catastrophic failure. Engine is seized. Had just turned my car on, was idling for a couple minutes. Oil pressure warning quickly flashed and car shut off. Towed to dealership, they tried to crank it manually and sheā€™s seized. They havenā€™t opened it up yet but Iā€™m thinking oil pump failure as oil level is proper and clean.

K.Gonzalez
Vehicle: 2016 Civic Touring

Total tuned time: 16 months

Tuned miles driven: 20 010 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V1.2

Tunes used: Ktuner Stage 2, TSP stage 1 RACE non si, & Phearable stage 1.5 RACE non si (current)

Fuel used: Petro Canada 94 & Mobil1 94

Additional related mods: PRL RACE MAF short ram intake, RV6 Catted DP & FP combo

Problems/issues: Injector failure at 44k miles, another injector failure at 78k miles, rear main seal leaked at 79k miles just after the 2nd set of injector failure (Iā€™m on my third set), jerky acceleration caused by bad gas quality, INTAKE CAMSHAFT SNAPPED IN HALF at 98k miles (probably due to bad oil pump)

18_Hatch_Indy
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport Hatch

Total tuned time: ~1 year

Tuned miles driven: 10K

Tunes used: KTuner stage 2 dual calibration

Fuel used: 93 octane

Additional related mods: None

Problems/issues: Broken rod at 66K miles while driving at hwy speed.

Driving style: Short bursts ie highway onramps and when passing, if needed. Never raced/auto-crossed.

Tune experience notes: Loved the extra hp and throttle response.

longthaitran91
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 3 years

Tuned miles driven: 55,000~

Tunes used: Ktuner 24psi boost with prl cai

Fuel used: 7-11 93 octane or whatever is cheapest

Additional related mods: PRL cai

Problems/issues:
Replaced transmission under warranty for bearings failure. Unknown if the tune was the cause of failure as the noise started shortly after tuning. Never knew my transmission was going out until my mechanic pointed it out 20,000 into tune.

Th3HighLif3

Vehicle: 2019 Honda Civic Si

Total tuned time: 50,000 miles

Tuned miles driven:57,000 miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used:
Ktuner Basemaps (21psi, 23psi, 23psi w/ethanol, 27won w1 basemap w/ ethanol) ; TSP Stage 1 ; Custom Dyno Tune by Drob

Fuel used: 93 octane and e30

Additional related mods: PRL SRI w/race maf, PRL intercooler and piping, PRL Turbo Inlet Pipe, 27won W1 Turbo, Full Invidia exhaust w/catted DP, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, ACT Street Organic Clutch w/ Flywheel - built motor ( MAP Block - Wiseco pistons, Saenz rods / BC titanium springs, retainers, keepers / ARP headstuds / Cometic headgasket / Boundary oil pump gears)

Problems/issues: Switching to the ethanol tunes the stock clutch needed to be upgraded. After installing the w1 turbo the spark plugs needed to be gapped down to .019 - Unfortunately the stock engine ran into some issues. The bearings in the block were toast when we tore it down. Consulted MAP and IMW about the damage and they suspect it could have been a failed oil pump. Damage was consistent with total oil pressure loss.

Dreakon
Vehicle
: 2016 Civic EX-T Coupe (CVT)

Total tuned time: About a year and a half

Tuned miles driven: 30,000+

Tuning device(s) used: KTuner 1.2

Tunes used: Phearable's 1.5

Fuel used: Exxon Mobile 93 octane

Additional related mods: Mishimoto Intake, Mishimoto Intercooler, Custom Flowmaster Exhaust, other stuff is mostly cosmetic mods.

Problems/issues: Brought it into the dealership because of a rattling noise. I thought it was just a belt, but it turned out to be a spun bearing. The warranty company refused to cover the damage because it was modified. The dealership wanted nearly $10k in repairs. Thankfully I was able to find a local mechanic that picked up a used engine with only 38k miles on it and will be swapping it in for a little over $4k.

Driving style: Mostly tame, commuting to work with occasional bursts on the Highway.

Treyna123
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si

Total tuned time: itā€™s been on a base map for about 27k miles šŸ˜Æ

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata +9psi base map

Fuel used: shell 93 usually mix 1.5 of E

Additional related mods: PRL DP/FP, HKS hi power, prl cai race maf, prl intercooler, Tesla aero wheels with Michelin PS4s

Problems/issues: right at 50k blew my transmission 4th gear and debris caused 1st and reverse also to blowā€¦ since then Iā€™ve been on a 2018 trans and I do enjoy the longer final drive itā€™s not much longer but I do prefer the 2016-2019 final drive ratio.. been running the car fairly hard since I bought it in October 2020 and thatā€™s been my biggest issue more my fault doing touge runs and racing motor runs strong since racing it I do get a squeaking noise not sure if itā€™s a pulley or the turbo only happens after a drive I can hear it clearly when parking but other then that itā€™s just maintenance keeping up with the car I do plan on k20c4 swapping it the L15 can not handle the type of power I want this car to run

Driving style: when I visit Mexico I drive very aggressive

Mrska
Vehicle: 2019 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 10 months

Tuned miles driven: 40k

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5, Phearable 1.5R, and Phearable Flex fuel tune

Fuel used: On 1.5,1.5R tune 1G E85, Rest Shell 93, On FF 35% E85 Rest 93 Shell

Additional related mods:
PRL SRI Street MAF, KLM DP/FP, PRL FF Kit

Problems/issues: Blew Headgasket Within 2 months on E35, never an issue with 1.5,1.5R tune

Driving style: Extremely Aggressive not a day goes by without ringing the car out to redline, very occasional (mostly longer drives) Normal highway driving but i'd say 80% Wide open, 20% Normal

dark_knight097
Vehicle: 2017 Civic SI

Total tuned time: 3.7yrs

Total tuned mileage: ~45k miles

Tuning device(s) used: ktuner with cortex controlling boost

Tunes used: drob tune, 34psi

Fuel used: ~E33

Additional engine mods: NAPERFORMANCE fuel kit, prl turbo kit converted to v1, cortex boost controller, 5w30 oil, Flex fuel kit, Prl big turbo gtx2060R, Prl Cobra CAI, Prl intercooler and charge pipes, catless downpipe, frontpipe, takeda 3-2 1/2in exhaust, fx400 with single mass lightweight flywheel

Problems/issues: 3rd and 4th gear have been toasted

Driving style: Day to day driving style is a mix between aggressive, spirited driving and relaxed cruising depending on the type of road. Plenty of WOT pulls every day.

Tuning experience notes: ~55,800 on odometer. Well, after plenty of hard driven miles, 3rd and 4th gear have finally called it quits. Currently only have 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and reverse. Was expected so no surprise there considering how I drive. Tsp block still doing good considering the amount of times its seen 7400rpms. Other than the trans, everything else is in perfect working order

jconnway
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Sport Hatch

Tuned miles driven: ~20K

Tunes used: Phearable's 1.5R tune, exclusively level 3 (High Boost)

Fuel used: Exxon 93, BP 93

Additional related mods:

- 27Won Intake
- 27Won Turbo Inlet Pipe
- PRL High Volume Downpipe
- PRL Frontpipe
- Invidia Q300 Exhaust
- 27Won Rear Motor Mount
- Ingen Charge pipes
- PRL Intercooler
- Wonderland racing catch can

Problems/issues: Complete CVT failure at 38k miles.

Driving style:
Spirited but not savage. No brake boosting here.

Tune experience notes: https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/cvt-blew-up-at-the-dealership.80758/

See above post. Ultimately Honda denied the warranty on the CVT, citing the tune as the culprit. The community has pondered if the previous owner was hard on the car, if this particular CVT was destined for failure due to a manufacturer defect or if I just had bad luck with my combination of parts and tune.

I will be replacing the CVT entirely and running for a while without a flash to see how she goes.

gtman note: This failure could have been due to the original owner's abuse and/or a factory defect. The 1.5R tune is a possible, but less likely cause.

galarianash
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Sport Hatchback CVT

Total tuned time: 1.5 years

Tuned miles driven: 15,000+

Tuning device(s) used:
Hondata non carb

Tunes used: Hondata +6

Fuel used: 89-93

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI, ETL Cvt cooler, greddy DD-R exhaust (literally installed last week)

Problems/issues:
Blown engine/rod

Driving style: Passive with occasional full sends

Tune experience notes: The base tune changed the car a lot. then i added the cobra CAI and it worked even better for smiles. The car blew up on the side of 95 tonight with what seems to be a blown rod. If it isn't covered under warranty, i'm ditching the car since it's going to be 4k+.

REDRAGN

Vehicle: 2019 CTR

Current tuned miles: 1,800

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata

Tunes used: Custom tuned by EBTEC

Fuel used: 93 oct and will use a splash of 100 when at the track

Additional related mods: RV6 Catted Downpipe/front pipe combo, Mishimoto race radiator, Mishimoto race intake w/inlet pipe, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Mishimoto turbo blanket, Wagner Tuning intercooler w/piping, Radium Engineering PCV oil catch can

Problems/Issues: Blown head gasket, scored cylinder walls

Driving Style: Full time track car. Engine failure was at COTA in Austin, TX in June 2022. Over 100+ degrees ambient and I was pushing the car hard.

That_slow_civicfc1

Vehicle: 19 civic Si

Tuned miles driven: 60k Miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner switched to hondata

Tunes used: TSP stage2, Power Metric stage W1 and W2

Fuel used: 91, E40-55

Additional related mods: PRL cobra intake(race),PRL catless down/front pipe, PRL intercooler, PRL Flexfuel kit, PRL inlet pipe, SK2 intake manifold, ACT stage 3 clutch w/chromoli flywheel

Problems/issues: transmission blew up at 59k --- it was after a dig racing night maybe about 5-6 runs shifted perfectly no signs of damage or grinding. on my way home heading towards the freeway going around a slow Altima 3rd gear decided to leave the chat. only used Torco MTF and changed every 10k miles or every 2 oil changes. and I am actually surprised the motor and trans held up all 59k miles

Driving style: Like a bat out of hell

Tune experience notes: Been waiting to have some free time to get an actual dyno tune but havent gotten the chance yet. but the OTS tunes by power metric are pretty spicy as it is.

healtoe
Vehicle: 2018 Si HFP Sedan

Total tuned time: 2.5 yrs

Tuned miles driven: 50000kms

Tuning device(s) used: currently using KTuner V2

Tunes used: Hondata Phearable Street Stage 1.5; was using Phearable's 1.5 tune with bbg set up at 14,16,18,20,20,18 psi

Now: Running drob base map now while tuning

Fuel used: Only Petro Canada 94

Additional related mods: 27won TIP+ street intake and catted downpipe, prl fp, mishi IC and catch can, w2 turbo. type r oem exhaust

Problems/issues: head gasket failure after w2 install.

Driving style: Low and slow unless you wanna get gapped ?

Tune experience notes: head gasket went after W2 install 2 weeks ago. At 120k kms. Will continue remote tuning after arp studs are in. Otherwise the drob tune power delivery is great very linear. The phearable tune power comes on really quick but tires out at the the top of the rpmā€™s. The drob tune keeps building power all the way up to redline

alxgravel
Vehicle: 2017 - Civic SI Coupe

Total tuned time: 5 years

Total tuned mileage: 87k miles tuned

Tunes used: Ktuner base map / TSP Stg 1 / Now TSP Stg 1+ map 3

Fuel used: Petro-Canada 94

Additional engine mods: 27won RMM, Intake / PRL Catless DP, FP / Bullboost catch-can

Problems/issues : This winter my car started to have an head gasket failure. My TSP stud kit is on the way and I wonder if I should go oem or cosmetic with the head gasket. I think the head gasket failure look like more common now due the low quality stud honda put in this 1.5t.

honduh
Vehicle: 2016 VTI-LX (Australia)

Total tuned time: 2+ years

Tuned miles driven: ~17,000

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata FlashPro

Tunes used: Base map +6, TSP stage 2

Fuel used: 98

Additional related mods: mishimoto boxed intake

Problems/issues: no issues on base map, issues started many months into tsp stage 2. had knocking for a number of months before birthing rod... tried to self diagnose and fix instead of getting looked at and one arvo on the way home from work engine said nah. Have had it for 6+ years from new. I blame my taking the tsp tune for granted, being in a different climate/country and not having it properly tuned, and my bad decisions to not have knocking looked at. I even went back to base map and knocking went away and disregarded cause the power difference was pretty drastic smh. Was on tsp for almost a year, most of which was fine (thing ripped for a cvt, eat v6s), knocking started 9 months in, maybe 9000km

Driving style: mostly casual but couple times a week rip it around. Hard launches, wot. Towards the end there was a lot more hard driving trying to self diagnose stuff.

Tune experience notes: not blaming tsp themselves just not properly taken care of on my end

gtman note: this appears to clearly be a case of user error/neglect

Precord96FK7
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Hatchback EX (CVT)

Total tuned time: 35 months

Tuned miles driven: 16,363 (16,343 total miles)

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro Carb for 3-4 months, and KTuner V2 since.

Tunes used: Hondata +6 Carb, TSP Stage 1; Phearable 1.5; Phearable 1.5R; Phearable Custom Tune E30; RevitUp Brasil Custom Tune E50.

Fuel used: 91 octane, 2-3 gallons 100 octane, & E50 mix.

Additional related mods: VTT GC Turbo, PRL Intercooler & Charge Pipes, PRL Cobra CAI - Race MAF, RZ Crew Intake Manifold, Ported OE throttle body, PRL TIP, PRL Flex Fuel Kit, Hardrace Q0676 RMM, Mishimoto Oil Catch Can , PRL High Volume downpipe, 27Won Front Pipe, VCD ARP Head Studs, Cometic Head Gasket, ETL CVT cooler w/ Hayden Cooler, Deatchswerks DW300C LPFP, ProDrager HyperFlow Exhaust Piping, CVT Paddle Shifter conversion, 27Won 4 BAR MAP sensors, BC Racing Valvesprings, Skunk2 L15B7 Stage 1 cams, Accord 2.0t Fuel system, and upgraded 6AN fuel feed line with inline Aeromotive Fuel Filter. CRV CVT transmission.

Problems/issues: W1 failure, and Head Gasket failure.

Driving style: Conservative. Will open it up once in a while but mostly calm driving with my toddler.

Tuning experience notes: Was on a mission for a while to make my car a monster CVT 10th gen. Was using Dragy to measure results and even swapped in a CRV CVT for the more aggressive Final Drive. The Civic's TCM seems to compensate and keep the RPMs the same with the new transmission and unfortunately haven't noticed any difference except a little when using "S" vs "D". Slowed down considerably the past several months with any mods and drive less than I did before only taking the kid to preschool and occasional supermarket run. 3 days ago started the car and got a whiff of coolant out the exhaust and checked the coolant to see it a little low and knew my head gasket is starting to fail like so many other 10th gens. Caught it really early, so none of the other mature telltale signs like misfire/knock/sputtering/etc. I knew the risks when modifying my car to this extent, running 29psi and E50. The TSP ARP Studs I installed one at a time wasn't the ideal method either, so I'm not all too upset or shocked. Luckily I've been planning in the back of my mind and picked up a Cometic gasket a while back and stocking parts for a future upgrade/failure.

shitboxsi
Vehicle: 2019 Civic Si

Total tuned time: 1 1/2 years

Tuned miles driven: 50K+, 110K total miles

Tuning device(s) used: Ktuner V2

Tunes used: TSP Stage 1, TSP Stage 1 Race

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI Race, ARP head studs, Cometic head gasket

Problems/issues: Blown head gasket, rod bearing failure

Driving style: Aggressive

Tune experience notes: Around 4k miles ago the head gasket failed, and the car overheated. Had the head resurfaced, installed the ARP studs, and the Cometic head gasket. Ran good until today when I was driving and heard a slight knocking sounds and elevated K. Con values, hoped it was spark knock from bad gas but I refilled with better gas and the issue persisted. Found a thread posted by another user today that had the exact same issue. Will update when I tear the car down.

minred
Vehicle: 2019 Sport Hatchback, 6MT

Total tuned time: 1 month

Tuned miles driven: 1,000

Tunes used: Dual Starter 21

Fuel used: Shell or Sam's 93

Additional related mods: Injen SRI, GReddy DDR 3" catback

Problems/issues: Blown rod, shattered piston

Driving style: Angry.
I would occasionally do rolling races with my buddies and would cut up on the highway. The only reason I would call my driving style "angry" during this time is because I was driving in the city a lot and you kind of have to bully your way through to get places.

Tune experience notes: I've since put a new motor in it. Still running the intake and exhaust and have an upgraded clutch and flywheel because the tune was slipping the stock clutch.

I've always done all my own maintenance with this car, and I've grown to love it. Oil changes were always done every 5000 miles, with only one time I think I went to 6000.

boldMullet
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Si coupe

Total tuned time: 1 year as of Nov. 24th

Tuned miles driven: ~12,000

Tunes used: TSP stage 1+, TSP stage 2, custom tune from DRob

Fuel used: Shell 93, Meijer e85

Additional related mods:
PRL Cobra cold air intake
PRL Intercooler w/ charge pipes
PRL Catted downpipe
PRL Wifi flex fuel kit
AWE touring exhaust (includes front pipe)
RV6 retrofit flywheel w/ Exedy FK8 stage 0 clutch

Problems/issues: Erased 4th gear from existence. Otherwise just some personal mistakes. Greased the silicone charge pipes to get them on and had those pop off. Missed that freaking 1.4mm spacer for the VSS when replacing the clutch. Don't miss that!

Driving style: Banging those gears a lot of the time. Can't seem to help myself lol.

Tune experience notes: TSP stage 1+ was a very surprising boost in performance when I first got it. Paired that with the cai at first. Got the itch for more so over the following 5-6 I added a couple parts at a time, finished with a custom tune from DRob. He told me not to no lift shift into 4th, then I fucked around and found out. Currently waiting on the dealership to make something happen, still under hondacare extended warranty.

2020cornfedsi
Vehicle: 2020 Civic Si sedan

Tuned miles driven: 60k miles

Tunes used: phearable stage 1 , currently on a revised 2.5 flex fuel tune

Fuel used: shell 93 and e85 e30-e40

Additional related mods: PRL short ram intake R , PRL titanium inlet pipe, PRL flex fuel kit, mishimoto intrc + chrg pipes, full MAP Dp,Fp , race exhaust , Perrin strut bar, MAP block off plate (makes Supra noises, not good for car tho) , the car is also gutted , Prl weighted shift knob , ACT R clutch 6 puck , lowered on evolved coilovers .

I am super crazy on maintenance . I do an oil change every 1k or so miles , change spark plugs every 10k, Iā€™ve done new coolant 3x every 20k miles . Brake pads Iā€™ve actually only done once with a complete bleed . Transmission fluid has been changed 2x .

Problems/issues: THESE PROBLEMS ARE A RESULT OF IT BEING MODIFIED AND PUSHED TO THE LIMIT.

I knew about the clutch before I bought the car and funny enough after just a month of owning it . Baby was slippery šŸ˜© this is a 50/50 for some people if you donā€™t tune it will be fine but not the case for me .

Starting off with my 1st real inconvenience back at 30k miles my dash was a Christmas tree and Iā€™ve scanned it and taken it to Honda several times back then which I will never do again because atp i know more than they do šŸ¤“ since tuning the car it causes more vibration and these l15 soy wires are just easily chaffed and breakable ?! Many people have suffered an issue with the bypass sensor in the back on the intake manifold. If that wire breaks youā€™re getting a disco on the dash.

2nd problem just occurred not to long ago racing a n55 with upgraded turbo and we were going at it for a while ofc he was faster on top end but youā€™d be surprised off brake boost I kept in range for a bit . After doing a lot of pulls the serpentine belt snapped and rubber went flying everywhere literally I have no hood . Temps got to 220 before I shut it off and got it towed (thank god the coolant is new šŸ‘) I got a new belt the next day and installed it in about an hour or so super easy .

3rd problem is catastrophic damage that just occurred this week unfortunately and it was without warning . I was doing a 4th gear pull with 29psi coming out and boom the shifter got loose and I heard knocking , I was confused in the moment on what it was cause I thought i blew a rod or something but no Iā€™m glad it was the trans šŸ³ā€āš§ļø.

Driving style: during the day normal to some aggressive pulls/ at night is where I push the limits of the car .

My next step is obviously fixing the trans for a stronger 3rd and 4th gear which Iā€™ve seen rv6 offer OR full Ppg gear set which Iā€™m in love with the sound . Havenā€™t had the trans looked at yet so I donā€™t know what to expect of the damages .

While the car is alr up I am going full send on the motor with forged internals , new oil pump gear, skunk2 cams stg 2 with springs n retainers . Skunk2 manifold , arp headstuds . And idk if a thicker gasket or the oem gasket would be better. Upgraded fuel pump. And last but not least RV6 BB turbo . If I have the money left šŸ’€ it was either moving out or a race car .

vongu.si
Vehicle: 2017 Civic Si Sedan

Total tuned time: 2+ years

Total tuned mileage: 60000

Tunes used: Phearable 1.5, waiting for custom tune

Fuel used: 91 + e top off,

Additional engine mods: Mishimoto Intake, Greddy 31-E intercooler, Greddy Supreme SP catback, Invidia FP/DP, MHI TD03 upgrade, 27won RMM, Clutch that isn't stock, ARP headstuds

Problems/issues: At 100,000 on the dot my car started misfiring P0304, and I had to diagnose it. One mechanic said it was simply my spark plugs or coils, changed those and car ran better, but eventually started misfiring again. Turns out my engine had to be pulled, cylinder walls were scored, indicating coolant leaking or some other issue. Had the head gasket replaced, everything was sent to the machine shop and had ARP studs installed on the vehicle. Following this my clutch master cylinder stopped functioning on the way to work, just my luck. Went ahead and replaced and now car runs great, knock control in check, A/F ratios looking good on WOT and regular driving. I would say before the 100k when my engine needed work, I was pulling harder and testing the limits of the car in map 2 or 3 of TSP stage 1. I drive much more relaxed now even with the upgrades

Driving style: When I first bought the car it was certified pre owned at 37k miles. I drive relaxed, shifting early before the turbo can get a good spool generally, unless I am in the mood for a spirited pull/drive. This is my daily driver and I want it to last as long as possible (until i can get my hands on a 2.0t engine)! I drive harder when I am with my buds in the canyons or whatnot, but try to keep it low generally.

Tune Experience notes: Was running the KTuner Phearable Stage 1.5, switched to the 27won Basemap for W1 while I prepare to get my custom tune from Drob! I preferred running the Phearable Stage 1.5 over the TSP Stage 1 tune in my experience as I had ran both.

gtman note --- With used cars, especially Si's you never know if the original owner was tuned or abused their car. Something to consider.

ThatBoostedBoy
Vehicle
: 2018 Civic Hatchback Sport

Total tuned time: 6 years

Tuned miles driven: 82,000

Tuning device(s) used:
Ktuner v1.2 OBDII

Tunes used: My own, utilizing the 3map selection for Stock/Mid/Max (1,2, and 3 shown on tachometer when selecting). 28-30PSI on stock engine and turbo

Fuel used:
Shell 93 only

Additional related mods: only mods are PRL Cobra kit, bumper plate in front removed as well as foglight, by Venison Impact Dynamics LLC (deer)

Problems/issues: Threw a rod through Cyl 2. Before this, cylinder 3 would constantly (somehow) break the ceramic piece up inside the spark plug that surrounds the electrode, near the top. This causes thar ceramic/teflon(?) Piece to fall down in a perfect collar around the electrode, thus not allowing the plug to spark. 3 times I've replaced cyl3 NGK plugs because it was just dumping gas (no spark because collar). I finally switched out the coilpack and plugs the last time as cyl3 Coil pack also took a shit. No idea what that was about.

Driving style: Normal until seeing another car enthusiast. Which was often

Tune experience notes:
Of the 82k miles I had maxing the turbo/MAP and fuel, it lasted longer than I thought it would. I'd be able to walk 5.0s, no idea If they knew we was doing a pull or not but it felt good. I'm gonna send it again, but this time with a built block and maybe go full bolt ons. But for the experience, it felt like a whole different car vs stock. A $350 OBDII plug in worth its weight in platinum.

gtman note: don't set boost anywhere near 30 psi if you care about your hatch's rods.

TheDeliSauce
Vehicle: 2018 Civic SI (FC1)

Total Tuned Time: 3 years, 1 month, 26 days (March 7th, 2024).

Tuned Miles Driven: 20,399 miles.

Tuning Device(s) Used: KTuner v1.2 with Tunerview via Hondahack.

Tunes Used: Phearable GC+ E30. Formerly tuned on Phearable 2.5, Phearable 1.5R, & Phearable 1.5. Gotta catch 'em all!

Fuel Used: Exclusively 93 since I was still breaking in the rebuilt block. Otherwise almost exclusively E30 (93+ E85 mix), rarely pure 93.

Additional Related Mods:

Engine: Rebuilt OG L15B7 Short Block (Updated Cylinder Support System & CSS Oil Squirter Block-Offs, JE 2618 73.5mm 10.3:1 Pistons w/5115 Wrist Pins, Saenz Performance Series 4340 I-Beam Rods), BC Steel Valve Spring & Retainer Kit, Boundary Oil Pump Gear

Exhaust: Ark DT-S Catback Exhaust, PRL Catted Street Downpipe & Frontpipe

Fuel: PRL Flex Fuel Kit

Intake: 27Won 4-Bar MAP Sensors, PRL Cobra Cold Air Intake Race MAF, PRL Front Mount

Intercooler & Charge Pipes, PRL. Turbo Inlet Pipe, Skunk2 Ultra Street Intake Manifold

Motor Mounts: 27Won Rear Motor Mount, Window-Welded Side Motor Mounts

Suspension: DC Sports Front Strut Bar, Eibach Sportline Lowering Springs, Skunk2

Adjustable Rear Camber Arms

Transmission: Acuity Short Shifter Kit & Shifter Cable Bushings & Throttle Pedal Spacer, CDV Delete, Competition Clutch Stage 2 Clutch & Flywheel, Exedy EM2 CMC, Stainless Steel Clutch Line

Turbocharger: Vargas VTT GC+

Wheels/Tires: Enkei TSR-X 18x9.5 +38, Michelin Pilot Sport All-Season 4 245/40R18

Problems/Issues:

#1 - Sheared CV axle's teeth within differential turning every gear into a neutral. Drove several miles until a hair more throttle (-30%) in thind helped me realize the driver side CV ade was in fact not all the way in after transmission work despite being convinced it was as deep as it would seat. Towed to A-Team Transmissions for diagnosis, cleaning, & CV axle replacement as well as aftermarket clutch & flywheel installation

#2 - Spun cylinder 2's big end rod bearing. Started after a few extended "trips to Mexico one night without realizing I'd lost significant amounts of oil & was dangerously low. Subtle audible knocking & K.Con skyrocketing at 55,370 miles steadily increasing volume towards 57,396 miles when I had it towed to Slowmotion Motorsports for short block replacement. Early-onset knocking symptoms when engine temperature is 140F, throttle at 11%, or RPM >1300. Harder to notice when engine temperature is <130F, throttle >20%, or RPM 3,000.

#3 - Spun crankshaft thrust bearing. Depressing the clutch pedal could randomly plummet towards the floor as if it lost most clutch fluid pressure, but typically clutch pedal depression would be normal. Similar but milder symptoms to excessive rod bearing wear including K.Con spikes with the addition of clutch pedal issues. Late-onset knocking symptoms when engine temperature is >140F, throttle at -11%, or RPM 1,300. Harder to notice when engine temperature is <130F, throttle >20%, or RPM >3,000

#4 - Oil pump housing scored & worn. Debris from the oil strainer pickup tube made its way into the oil pump, getting forced between the oil pump gear & oil pump housing. Symptoms are subtle squeaking early on with subtle audible knocking later on. K.Con spikes haven't manifested during these issues & symptoms can easily be missed if you aren't experienced in what to listen for. Knocking sound volume increases <140F, seemingly not throttle dependent, & <3,000 RPM.

Driving Style: Normal, since I was still breaking in the rebuilt block. Otherwise I have a more spirited driving style.

Tune Experience Notes: I haven't much experience on this tune yet, but I can tell power lies within. I'm very excited to finish fixing & breaking in the SI again to stretch her legs on this tune & turbo.

StayAtHomeDad
Vehicle
: 2018 Civic SI Sedan

Total tuned time: ~3years

Tuned miles driven: ~27k miles

Tuning device(s) used:
KTuner V2

Tunes used: Consistently running TSP 1+ since last update

Fuel used: Most consistently Kwik Trip 93 octane, I have tried out some race gas, and ran one tank with Boostane

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/Race MAF, PRL Turbo inlet pipe, RV6 catless downpipe and frontpipe, Competition Clutch Stage 2 Clutch w/22lb flywheel, wilwood CMC and stainless lines, Hasport race rear motor mount... I believe that is all.

Problems/issues: Since last update, replaced the failing Wildwood CMC with a modified stock unit from @Old F@rt . thank you.

Also, a piston rod ripped through the side of my block

Driving style:
I use the throttle. I don't dump the clutch. I don't hit the rev limiter. I occasionally spin the tires, and occasionally go sideways. Sometimes shifting has to be a bit aggressive.

Tune experience notes: Well, my engine block has a tear in it, and my car doesn't run. not necessarily from the tune. Suspicion would lead to detonation/knock/ping - or bad fuel and high boost, but anything related to how or why this happened is purely hypothetical as no teardown or inspection has been completed.

D.AucoinFK7
Vehicle: 2018 Civic Sport hatch 6MT

Tuned miles driven: 10000 Km
Original engine failure 67xxxkm
Replacement engine (L15b7 out of a cvt sedan) installed with 47xxxkm

Tuning device(s) used: Hondata Flashpro RACE

Tunes used: Hondata +3 , Hondata +9

Fuel used: Ultramar 91

Additional related mods: PRL Cobra CAI w/ race maf, PRL Turbo inlet pipe, PRL catless downpipe, PRL front pipe, Skunk2 Megapower exhaust

Problems/issues: Rod through block.
Engine let go during a no lift 4-5 shift. Not sure of cause or any other damage to engine. Will be pulling engine and pulling head over the next month or so.

Update** Found more holes in the block after pulling the engine. On the cylinder closest to the trans thereā€™s a hole in the front, 3 in the back, one in the oil pan, and a rod jammed in the block, poking through where the next cylinder would be. Did find the entire head of a rod bolt in the oil pan sheared off with no damage to the actual bolt head itself. Doubt there will be much left inside worth looking at for clues but Iā€™ll be pulling the engine apart anyway just for shits.

gtman note: Not 100% sure it contributed, but he did use octane booster at one point.

Driving style: Big toe with the occasional 1-2 around town. Occasional backroad fun when time allows.

Kugod
Car: 2019 civic sport coupe 2.0l (cvt)

Time tuned: about 3 years

Tuned miles driven: 34k (39k total)

Tuning device: Ktuner

Tune used : custom tune by Dan @ Etunez

Fuel type used: E30 (manual blend 93 w e85)

Mods list:
*coil overs
*upper strut bar
*lower strut bar
*3 point brace
*2 point brace
*z23 brake kit
*racing rear motor mount
*TB spacer
*PRL intake
*DW300c FP
*Rdx 410cc fuel injectors (I wired myself)
*Msd ignition coils(going back to stock)
*type r arp headstuds
*catless DP
*custom 2.5 exhaust with stock res and high flow muff
*light weight crank pulley
*cvt trans cooler
*TB coolant bypass
*firehawk Indy tires

-do plan on retro fitting type r intake manifold and doing more to upgrade the fuel system, also have CF hood on its way currently

Problems/issues: Iā€™ve had to replace ecu, one of the tires busted, stock injectors went out, replaced trans coolant w filter, both o2 sensors, spark plugs three times, the rear bottom bolt that threads into the rear wheel knuckle broke into the threads and had to get a new knuckle, rear speed sensor, head started to lift a year in so I had to do a head gasket job, ended up spinning the main bearings and broke my reluctor wheel on the crankshaft into two resulting in needing a short block so I paid 3300 for that to be done. And just had to replace my serpentine belt last month.

Experience: car has been a blast and a plan in my butt at the same time, but Iā€™ve been able to run her up to 145mph do note though I was going at a slight decline and let off the gas cause it started getting sketchy. She still gets up and goes but has to get warmed up at first otherwise the car will started to hiccup a bit. No cvt issues even though I beat it to shits, Ive only did the park brake launch once. I love this car and plan on taking her to the moon .

--------------------------

Summary - 54 major drivetrain failures out of 1,304 submitted tuned 10th gen Civics (as of 4/18/24). Some are from abuse. There was user error. Most had bolt ons. This all kind of hammers home the fact that using conservative tunes on a mostly stock setup is the safest bet. Once you start pushing things too far, the safety margin does get smaller, especially on the 1.5T hatchbacks. - gtman
Sponsored

Last edited:

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
^^^ seconded :)

Can you confirm if KMui blew a CVT not an MT? I'm not familiar with all the sedan trims.

Hadn't heard about Myx. Shitty situation but I know he'll turn it into something super cool.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely a CVT. The EX-T was CVT only for the 2016 model year.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I'm sure if I keep beating on my Si the way I have my tranny will be on this list eventually ;)

And if it never makes it, it's a miracle of Honda engineering and proper maintenance.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Added our 11th documented failure to the first post. BigGuyBigBrain's EX-T threw a rod under what he calls "iffy" circumstances.

hobby-man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 WRX STi, 2018 Sport Touring Hatchback (sold)
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Added our 11th documented failure to the first post. BigGuyBigBrain's EX-T threw a rod under what he calls "iffy" circumstances.
Tuned and a third party beat on it using 87 octane. Yikes.

leeti1284

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic RS CVT
Country flag
Can I just add to the above - a very important point to the list above.

We have no comparable data for the Stock (non tuned) cars. There could have been just as many failed/blown non tuned cars, if not more. This would entirely change the perspective about the safety of tuned cars.

For example - I am sure many of you would have heard about CVTs on stock cars blowing up and it's not just isolated to civic.

We will probably never get the data, only Honda has this data.

A reminder to everyone, even stock cars could blow up.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I've been here since 2015. Yes there have been failures on stock vehicles. Abuse, defective factory parts etc...

But there's no denying tuning adds more stress than stock. Once tuned (for the most part), success is mostly controlled by the users decisions.

Last edited:

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I just bought a ktuner v1.2 for my 2020 Si. So are the ā€œsafestā€ tunes the base maps that come with ktuner? I have no interest in getting tons of power. Just looking to liven up the current drive and get rid of rev hang.

OP
OP
gtman

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Generally speaking, as you raise psi levels, the potential is there for more wear and tear. But the OTS tunes have proven fairly safe too. I think the biggest factor in tune safety is the driver.

arnoldo

First Name
Arnoldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I just bought a ktuner v1.2 for my 2020 Si. So are the ā€œsafestā€ tunes the base maps that come with ktuner? I have no interest in getting tons of power. Just looking to liven up the current drive and get rid of rev hang.
There is drivability mod available in KTuner as well. If your ECU status is full support, you can have 3 maps for you to switch on the fly.

I use my own 22 psi calibration when I join community run. I use 19 PSI custom calibration with drivability mod for daily commute. I may switch to stock boost map with drivability mod calibration for daily because the drivability mod suits my driving style.

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
@Jaxson Probably the biggest downside of the OTS maps (aside from just not having quite as much power/tq) is that they seem to be harder on the clutch. The TPS and Phearable tunes seem to limit boost at lower RPMs which helps preserve the clutch. If you want to stick w/ the OTS ktuner tunes, I'd suggest setting up boost by gear to restrict boost in higher gears and also maybe set up the boost ramp options so that it's not on the most aggressive settings.

Jaxson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
@Jaxson Probably the biggest downside of the OTS maps (aside from just not having quite as much power/tq) is that they seem to be harder on the clutch. The TPS and Phearable tunes seem to limit boost at lower RPMs which helps preserve the clutch. If you want to stick w/ the OTS ktuner tunes, I'd suggest setting up boost by gear to restrict boost in higher gears and also maybe set up the boost ramp options so that it's not on the most aggressive settings.
Awesome. Thanks for that insight.
Sponsored