NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
That’s what most think. If you keep up with maintenance and are tuned by someone who knows what they’re doing it’s fine.
A pro tuner who knows what he is doing knows that CVT will lose first before the engine gives up and 300 WHP is very huge for CVT. Even SPOON SPORT performance package 275 Bhp and 400 Nm on engine not WHP is only (with caution) for manual transmission with clutch upgrade, and not CVT.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
A pro tuner who knows what he is doing knows that CVT will lose first before the engine gives up and 300 WHP is very huge for CVT. Even SPOON SPORT performance package 275 Bhp and 400 Nm on engine not WHP is only (with caution) for manual transmission with clutch upgrade, and not CVT.
You would think that except my car is still going as are several other vehicles on very similar setups to mine.

People keep on saying cvt cvt cvt and how its the weakness but I have seen 0 cases where properly maintained and tuned cars with high power will have a CVT failure. It's been all motor failures.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
You would think that except my car is still going as are several other vehicles on very similar setups to mine.

People keep on saying cvt cvt cvt and how its the weakness but I have seen 0 cases where properly maintained and tuned cars with high power will have a CVT failure. It's been all motor failures.
Proper maintainence and Parts limitation are two different things.

Although we give best maintainence, if it exceeds or almost reach safe limit, it would be broken soon, especially for track use.

Civii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag

Although we give best maintainence, if it exceeds or almost reach safe limit, it would be broken soon, especially for track use.
He's been going strong for quite some time. "Soon" is a given for all mechanical parts even when used normally (no tune, stock). A damn clutch will give out with less mods/power before a CVT does.

Why are people so negative about CVT's when there is more than one person with similar mods/tune?

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
He's been going strong for quite some time. "Soon" is a given for all mechanical parts even when used normally (no tune, stock). A damn clutch will give out with less mods/power before a CVT does.

Why are people so negative about CVT's when there is more than one person with similar mods/tune?
You mean, why @KTuner @Hondata and other profesional Tuner in the world saying 10th gen CVT still have limitation under manual transmission?

Well, they have observed and tested it out.
This 10th gen CVT is awesome, feels sporty. It feels differently than regular commuting cars like Honda Fit, Nissan. But still have limitation.

xjoshuax89

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 CR-V SE, '16 Civic EX, '17 Civic HB ST
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I guess this comes down to what you deem as "soon".

For reference. I got tuned to 292whp/257wtq back in August of 2019. I got retuned after some parts changes and adds to 302whp/267wtq in Aug of 2020.

In over 1.5 years at these elevated power levels, multiple drag strip days and passes, 2 HPDE events, and over now 15k miles driven.

In the most general sense I agree that preventative maintenance does not = to exceeding the actual limits of the parts.

However, no one knows the actual break limit of the transmission. We keep on guessing. Based on my experience, I think that the limit is higher than the power I am producing or else I would've blown up my transmission a while back.

Now as more wear and tear is added to the transmission and degradation happens maybe it gets closer to that break down.

*knock on wood* I haven't reached it and hope this continues for the next 3-4 years. After that I don't really care if it blows up because it is certainly served its purpose after 7-8 years of fun times.

I bought this car brand new in 2017. And currently sit at around 58kish miles iirc.

NewCivicRs

First Name
CIVIC.FK4
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5 Turbo RS
Country flag
I guess this comes down to what you deem as "soon".

For reference. I got tuned to 292whp/257wtq back in August of 2019. I got retuned after some parts changes and adds to 302whp/267wtq in Aug of 2020.

In over 1.5 years at these elevated power levels, multiple drag strip days and passes, 2 HPDE events, and over now 15k miles driven.

In the most general sense I agree that preventative maintenance does not = to exceeding the actual limits of the parts.

However, no one knows the actual break limit of the transmission. We keep on guessing. Based on my experience, I think that the limit is higher than the power I am producing or else I would've blown up my transmission a while back.

Now as more wear and tear is added to the transmission and degradation happens maybe it gets closer to that break down.

*knock on wood* I haven't reached it and hope this continues for the next 3-4 years. After that I don't really care if it blows up because it is certainly served its purpose after 7-8 years of fun times.

I bought this car brand new in 2017. And currently sit at around 58kish miles iirc.
Great, thanks for sharing your experience bro.

Wish it keeps pushing you hard back to seat without any trouble, wishing us all, cheers ! :headbang:;)

Brvndxn

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Country flag
Recently had head gasket failure and hairline crack in 2 cylinder heads that needed to be resurfaced @86k miles but was driving with this issue since JAN 2021 due to being told “ the car is fine “ multiple times for diagnosis. Was covered under warranty and got new head gasket , new valves installed , cylinders resurfaced ( CVT ) pick it up on Monday

@thatblu_si

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Aegean Blue 2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
With the amount of brake boosting and launching I've done in mine and also Myx has done, I am actually more of the opinion of perhaps its proper maintenance.

I am not sure about how frequent Myx changes his fluids but I've changed my CVT fluid out so many damn times now.

The failure of the CVT I would guess is when the oil in there breaks down and no longer lubricates properly and or the friction molecules have broken down so much that it just causes damage to the belt/chain and cones.

For those with CVT failures I really wish some of those folks could just crack open the dang thing and observe what went wrong.

Were there alot of metal shaving observed in the fluid? Did the fluid look too dirty or diluted? Were the filters inside the CVT clogged too much which limited flow and thus lubrication? etc...

From what I understand is that when you brake boost in a CVT, you are creating alot of heat in the transmission which the fluid retains and with high heat the fluid and its chemicals breakdown faster and then without the proper lubrication and so forth you accelerate wear/tear and damage the transmission.
From what I know about CVTs, the failures typically have nothing to do with the gear box itself but more so to do with the belts snapping. Brake boosting and launching puts alot of load through these belts which is what wears them out faster. Think of the belt as the "clutch" in a cvt, except its sandwiched between 2 sets of cones. 2 cones coming from the engine and 2 going into the transmission, the engine spins said belt via friction which then spins the cones for the transmission, the cones move in and out of each other to create variable speeds as the belt moves up and down the cone. All this is achieved through friction so by adding load during brake boosting and launching your teetering on the line of "slipping" the belt. As you do this more and more the belt will actually start to slip and friction will wear down this belt causing it to snap. Similar to a serpentine belt. Hope this helps you understand how a cvt works a little more. I found this video on YouTube to be quite useful in understanding the concept

Anger

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK7,RW2,RD1,RD5,RE5,RU1,FK1,FN2,EP3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Updated mine as well, I guess a cracked sleeve is worth mentioning :rolleyes: :p
Sponsored