Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes... sold... now 10'th Gen Civic 1.5 VTEC CVT
Country flag
Wheels : 17x8 ET50
Really? According to other posts, ET is between 38 and 48 for non Si/R models

I also have an EU hatchback - tyres look exactly like yours, and because of local legislation, I need to have winter tires before 1st Dec. Dealer gave my an offer that he would like me not to refuse, but which I am going to refuse, so I am looking for other alternatives. But I do not want to change the car handling more than needed, so I want the same specs on my winter alloys.

Alternatively I will remove the standard rubber and put winter rubber on the existing alloys instead, but I would rather not waste the existing rubber... it is almost brand new. )-:

Regards, Lars.
Sponsored

mark_ninan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2R
Country flag
I got a question guys. Hoping anybody could answer. It's about the tire and wheel's unsprung weight. Does the unsprung weight affect the Front wheels only(since the power is delivered to the front wheels only, i.e the rotational mass) or is it to all 4 wheels?
I can understand that if it was an AWD obviously it would affect all 4 wheels but what about a FWD like the FK8?

Thanks for shedding more light!!

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I got a question guys. Hoping anybody could answer. It's about the tire and wheel's unsprung weight. Does the unsprung weight affect the Front wheels only(since the power is delivered to the front wheels only, i.e the rotational mass) or is it to all 4 wheels?
I can understand that if it was an AWD obviously it would affect all 4 wheels but what about a FWD like the FK8?

Thanks for shedding more light!!
Unstrung weight affects all wheels regardless of driven or not. Dont confuse unsprung weight with rotational mass though they are two different things. Rotational mass is the weight of components from the combustion chamber to the tires. The less weight the less work is needed to be done to produce power AND more efficient braking. Unsprung weight is anything that is not suspended by the suspension ie. wheels/tires/brakes/various suspension components. Lighter weight is beneficial to both types of weight though. Lighter wheels kills both birds with one stone so to speak.

mark_ninan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FD2R
Country flag
Unstrung weight affects all wheels regardless of driven or not. Dont confuse unsprung weight with rotational mass though they are two different things. Rotational mass is the weight of components from the combustion chamber to the tires. The less weight the less work is needed to be done to produce power AND more efficient braking. Unsprung weight is anything that is not suspended by the suspension ie. wheels/tires/brakes/various suspension components. Lighter weight is beneficial to both types of weight though. Lighter wheels kills both birds with one stone so to speak.
Thanks MavicTB. Yeah that kinda sheds a bit of light. There were conflicting views online. I guess i'm going for the Rotational mass route - i.e wheels, tires, and brake rotors... (By the way Michelin PS4Ss are pretty light.)
The weight of tires can by checked on Tirerack.com in case anybody wants to know... There's no point paying $1000s on super light wheels and gaining it back with heavy tires - just my 2 cents..

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks MavicTB. Yeah that kinda sheds a bit of light. There were conflicting views online. I guess i'm going for the Rotational mass route - i.e wheels, tires, and brake rotors... (By the way Michelin PS4Ss are pretty light.)
The weight of tires can by checked on Tirerack.com in case anybody wants to know... There's no point paying $1000s on super light wheels and gaining it back with heavy tires - just my 2 cents..
Yeah there is a ton of misinformation. And my breakdown is kindergarten level when it comes to this subject. The most important takeaway is lighter is better regardless. to be clear also, brakes wheels/tires are both rotational and unsprung weight for the front wheels and only sprung weight for the rear.
As far as tire weights... this is a far more complicated topic. Yes lighter is better but only if it does not come with the effect of less grip. A sticky heavier tire is better than a very light tire that has poor grip. There is always a trade off. Not to mention tires have other important factors to consider than just raw dry grip... there is also wet grip, noise, longevity, temperature they perform best in, etc etc.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm getting a lx manual in a Couple of days or tomorrow depending if I decide to get msm or cosmic blue. But anyways I was thinking about getting these stock 16s from an ilx because I loathe hubcaps but they have 40mm offset they should fit ?only 50bucks for all 4 worth a shot right?

Honda Civic 10th gen Factory wheel size, offset, and weights 00h0h_4CiCGlcdKhf_600x450

bubbaleenc

Owning the country roads.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 EX-T Sedan '01 4Runner '18 Suburban
Country flag
I'm getting a lx manual in a Couple of days or tomorrow depending if I decide to get msm or cosmic blue. But anyways I was thinking about getting these stock 16s from an ilx because I loathe hubcaps but they have 40mm offset they should fit ?only 50bucks for all 4 worth a shot right?

00h0h_4CiCGlcdKhf_600x450.jpg
Assuming the bolt patterns are identical you should be fine. The tire would stick out a little less than a 1/4 inch further than stock. That minor difference wouldn't likely lead to any adverse handling or wear.

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I found out the ilx are 6.5 wide. stock of civic steelies are 6.5 wide. I had to edit that the ilx hybrid wheels come with 205 stock the 17s are the 7.5 wide. I believe they should fit perfectly

Last edited:

Aye_Aron97

First Name
Chaz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan
Country flag
They're still boat anchors in my book! :p
Enkei TS9 in 18x8 +45
20lbs a piece weighed on the same scale
IMAG1077.jpg
IMAG1076.jpg
What size tires do you have? Also is it flush with the +45mm offset? I wanna get the TS9's in all black when winter has passed

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You know enkei makes a lot of acuras wheels too if anyone is interested I forget which ones though

Hondanickx

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 civic hatch , 2018 civic sedan 1.5T
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just replaced my Oem Civic Sedan FC1 (Euro spec) wheels with other wheels and winter tires.
The oem sedan FC1 Euro spec wheels weigh 22.10kg or 48.7lbs with factory tires.
They are 17 x 7 et45 , and factory tires are Bridgestone Turanza ER33 215/50 r17 .
Replaced them with 17 x 7 et41 rc design (brock) wheels and Dunlop winter sport 5 tires 215/50 r17
That weighs 19.10kg or 42.10lbs for tire and wheel. So thats allready 3kg or 6.6lbs savings for each wheel.

thebutcher

NSFW
First Name
The Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Chevy C10 custom deluxe, 2014 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, 2019 Honda Civic Si coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was trying to find out what tire sizes would fit on a Civic Si and after looking at many tire calculators I found this one to be the best from the info it gives you. So I thought I’d give a link Incase others might find this useful.

https://www.wheel-size.com/
Sponsored