Factory oil fill

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Search the forum for Factory Fill to learn why. The Maintenance Minder feature is there for a reason. Changing the oil ahead of time will not hurt anything, but it is pointless unless you are heading to a track day or about to go on a long roadtrip. I used to change my oil every 3k with full synthetic for years before I started reading about the value of independent oil analysis. Now I am using Blackstone Labs, as are many others on this forum.

Factory oil is one thing, next oil change is another thing.
Oil change is so cheap if you can do yourself, I do before maintenance minder.
Sponsored

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Factory oil is one thing, next oil change is another thing.
Oil change is so cheap if you can do yourself, I do before maintenance minder.
No time to do it myself. I'll pay the $60 for a "deluxe" 1 0w20 Mobil 1 oil change. I check the dipstick periodically to make sure the oil level is normal.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No time to do it myself. I'll pay the $60 for a "deluxe" 1 0w20 Mobil 1 oil change. I check the dipstick periodically to make sure the oil level is normal.

Best choice

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
How did you determine that Mobil 1 doesn't hold up and Pennzoil does the best?

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Are you judging "Hold Up" as how soon the engine, once reaching operating temperature, cannot achieve the oil pressure it did after an oil change, or by Oil analysis ?

By the time that is starting to happen, it is way past due to be changed !@!

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KW SC 2007 CSX Type S, 2023 PWP Si
Country flag
That may be a valid point. People have been reporting better wear numbers with Pennzoil on other forums for many years.
Mobil1 UOA seem to have higher iron.
I blame myself for not trying Pennzoil sooner. 5W-30 seems like great fit for 10th.gen, as it a lighter viscosity 30 weight, not to far off a 20 weight oil.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not sure the colour is a good indicator of oil's capabilities. Some say dirty oil only shows it's doing its job, suspending particles.
I contains detergents and particles small enough to go through the filter media have nowhere else to go but in the oil.
More info on the "bitog" forums.

absolude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is true we feel better if it looks clean for longer but it isn't related to how good will lubricate and protect.

TRWRacing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic
Country flag
Magnetic oil drain plugs are kinda of pointless. The bearings are not made of magnetic materials. Transmission pans have a magnetic drain plugs for a reason. Now my ‘15 Accord uses 1/2 of oil every 2500 miles, but not my ‘17 Civic. Mobil 1 via Walmart and a quality oil filter.

Amsoil is a good marketing pyramids scheme.

Schmullis

First Name
Schmullis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Magnetic oil drain plugs are kinda of pointless. The bearings are not made of magnetic materials. Transmission pans have a magnetic drain plugs for a reason. Now my ‘15 Accord uses 1/2 of oil every 2500 miles, but not my ‘17 Civic. Mobil 1 via Walmart and a quality oil filter.

Amsoil is a good marketing pyramids scheme.
Well, I have a magnetic plug on my 2017 1.5 T. I change the oil every 6K miles and there is wear debris. Pistons/rings are metal Moving against metal cylinder walls. Same for cams.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Well, I have a magnetic plug on my 2017 1.5 T. I change the oil every 6K miles and there is wear debris. Pistons/rings are metal Moving against metal cylinder walls. Same for cams.
Next time you do an oil change, can you take a Pic of the debris on the Magnetic plug, and post it please ... give us all some idea of what is getting deposited. :)

Picture is worth 1000 words
Sponsored