Factory Navigation (Garmin) Updates

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Recently purchased a 19 Civic Touring Coupe, has the integrated Garmin Navigation. Used a dash-top Garmin for about 5 years, always got notifications on my computer when Software/map updates were available & updated 3-4 times a year. With the built-in Navigation, how does the update process work? I'm assuming the Honda dealer has to do this, do they notify you if/when an update is available or do I just ask when my car is in for service? The manual is vague on this subject, I would think that they would charge for this, or are there some updates included? Any experience here on this? Thanks!
Sponsored

Lunar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Sedan
Country flag
Recently purchased a 19 Civic Touring Coupe, has the integrated Garmin Navigation. Used a dash-top Garmin for about 5 years, always got notifications on my computer when Software/map updates were available & updated 3-4 times a year. With the built-in Navigation, how does the update process work? I'm assuming the Honda dealer has to do this, do they notify you if/when an update is available or do I just ask when my car is in for service? The manual is vague on this subject, I would think that they would charge for this, or are there some updates included? Any experience here on this? Thanks!
The yearly updates are available on the Garmin desktop app. You'll download the update to a USB drive and then plug it into your car for the update. It's done at home, no dealer involved.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CRV EX-L Platinum White Pearl/Ivory, 2020 CRV EX-L Crystal Black Pearl/Grey
Country flag
Contacted my salesperson yesterday, apparently there is an indication that pops up in the upper right hand corner of the Infotainment display when a map/software update is available, Honda apparently provides 3 free updates.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Contacted my salesperson yesterday, apparently there is an indication that pops up in the upper right hand corner of the Infotainment display when a map/software update is available, Honda apparently provides 3 free updates.
I wonder how long Honda/Garmin will support the Honda Garmin GPS system.

A few years Garmin launched an Android GPS program, but within about a year or two, they withdrew it, and got out of the Android GPS app business.
But it was during the time they thought they were i the GPS Android market, that they formed the relationship with Honda, so I assume they are "stuck" with whatever contract they had with Honda to support the Garmin GPS system in Honda vehicles.

I realize that Honda owner have their preferences :Google map vs Garmin etc, but to me the Google Map is a no brainer. Always up to date, and voice activated. By Comparison the Garmin App looks very dated :(

You can still find the Garmin Android app online, (not on Play store anymore), but the problem is that Garmin no longer provides "Internet Activation" of the app, so it is useless.

OP
OP

PhilF

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I wonder how long Honda/Garmin will support the Honda Garmin GPS system.

A few years Garmin launched an Android GPS program, but within about a year or two, they withdrew it, and got out of the Android GPS app business.
But it was during the time they thought they were i the GPS Android market, that they formed the relationship with Honda, so I assume they are "stuck" with whatever contract they had with Honda to support the Garmin GPS system in Honda vehicles.

I realize that Honda owner have their preferences :Google map vs Garmin etc, but to me the Google Map is a no brainer. Always up to date, and voice activated. By Comparison the Garmin App looks very dated :(

You can still find the Garmin Android app online, (not on Play store anymore), but the problem is that Garmin no longer provides "Internet Activation" of the app, so it is useless.
I've had 3 Garmin dash-top units over the last 10 years, they always got me where I wanted to go, all had the free maps/traffic updates. My Touring came with the Garmin system, no choice. I've tried the Google maps app, works well, problem for me is my bargain phone plan ($30 a month) has only 1gb of data, not practical to use it for Nav. So far, the Garmin Nav has worked well for me, graduated from Magellan 10 years ago, Magellan really sucked. Hopefully Honda will continue to support the system.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I've had 3 Garmin dash-top units over the last 10 years, they always got me where I wanted to go, all had the free maps/traffic updates. My Touring came with the Garmin system, no choice. I've tried the Google maps app, works well, problem for me is my bargain phone plan ($30 a month) has only 1gb of data, not practical to use it for Nav. So far, the Garmin Nav has worked well for me, graduated from Magellan 10 years ago, Magellan really sucked. Hopefully Honda will continue to support the system.
Good to hear ....

For anyone interested, the Garmin Android app was called VIaGo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M43BpZng1TM
Article about Garmin discontinuing ViaGo
https://www.androidpolice.com/2015/...-it-was-released-didnt-bother-telling-anyone/
Sponsored