F1 Talk Anyone?

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
:headbang:Reports Claim Robert Kubica Exceeded Williams' Expectations

International media is boiling with excitement, and multiple outlets are claiming Kubica's test went well enough to end Williams' driver search.

October 22, 2017

Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? 2F%2Ftimedotcom.files.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F10%2Fwilliams-fw36-at-the-2014-hungarian-grand-prix

• This past Tuesday, Kubica dropped into the cockpit of the Williams FW36 for his second major evaluation by Williams, with the result described only as "productive" by the team. The following day, Paul di Resta hopped in to set lap times of his own, to be compared with Kubica's, and his own session, described as "busy," received an equal treatment of acknowledgement, but minimal release of information. Sources beyond Williams, however, are reporting that leaks from within the team have disseminated information on both the tests and the driver selection, and that things are looking positive for both Williams and Kubica.

After di Resta's test on Wednesday, Brazilian outlet Racing Motorsports reported that Kubica was faster than Paul di Resta, and Switzerland's Blick followed Friday, claiming that Kubica had "surprised in Hungary," and had convinced team management with his pace. Przeglad Sportowy adds a claim that the decision as to who will occupy the second Williams seat in 2018 has been made, and that it won't be Felipe Massa.

• http://www.thedrive.com/start-finis...-robert-kubica-exceeded-williams-expectations
Sponsored

Last edited:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Robert Kubica set for third Williams test

November 11 2017

Kubica%2BWilliams.jpg

Kubica impressed Williams in the two tests sessions at Silverstone and the Hungaroring

Williams are set to give Robert Kubica a third test with the team as they seek to establish whether he can make a comeback from life-changing injuries.

The Pole has not raced in F1 for more than seven years, following a horrific rally accident in 2011 in which he suffered a partially severed right arm.

Kubica, 32, tested twice for Williams last month and the team's preference is to sign him to race for them in 2018, but they want him to do another test to allay their remaining concerns.

Kubica has partial movement in his right arm and, that combined with the length of his absence, has raised questions about whether he can again operate at the required level. He impressed the team in his two tests in October, one at Silverstone and one at the Hungaroring, but they were in a 2014 car with only reserve driver Paul Di Resta as a benchmark.

Williams are now planning to test him at the official F1 Pirelli tyre test at Abu Dhabi in the week after the season-closing race at the Yas Marina circuit to get a clearer idea of his potential. This will give them a comparison with the other teams as well as their own data from the race weekend just before.

Williams are refusing to confirm the test, saying that their driver line-up for the two days is not yet confirmed, but Kubica is almost certain to drive at least one day, with the identity of the other driver as yet unknown.

Kubica is very much Williams' first choice to replace the retiring Felipe Massa as partner for Lance Stroll.

Russian Daniil Kvyat, dropped by Red Bull last month, is another option, as is Sauber driver Pascal Wehrlein. Senior figures in F1 believe that Kvyat has moved up Williams' list as their second choice if Kubica does not work out. Di Resta's chances, which were never strong, appear to be fading further.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/41956115

Last edited:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Kubica to drive for Williams in Abu Dhabi test
22 Nov 2017

Williams have announced that Robert Kubica and Sergey Sirotkin will share driving duties with Lance Stroll in next week's Pirelli tyre test in Abu Dhabi.

Kubica, who has been heavily linked with Williams' vacant 2018 seat, will drive on both days of the two-day test, which runs immediately after this weekend's 2017 finale on the Yas Marina circuit.

It will be the Pole's third test outing with the team - and his second taste of 2017 F1 machinery, following an official outing with Renault in August.

Williams intend to use Kubica on the opening morning and final afternoon, with Stroll taking over for the rest of day one and Sirotkin doing likewise on the morning of day two.

The test is run under Pirelli's guidance as part of a season-long programme to evaluate the Italian manufacturer's 2018 tyre compounds.

Williams said they were 'excited' to have the opportunity to partake in the trials with 'such an interesting range of drivers: Lance, as confirmed race driver for 2018, Robert with his huge experience, and Sergey as a very promising young talent in Formula One'.

Williams are one of only two teams, alongside Sauber, yet to confirm their 2018 driver line-up.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/11/f1-kubica-williams-abu-dhabi-test.html

OP
OP
UFO CTR

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
Kubica to drive for Williams in Abu Dhabi test
22 Nov 2017

Williams have announced that Robert Kubica and Sergey Sirotkin will share driving duties with Lance Stroll in next week's Pirelli tyre test in Abu Dhabi.

Kubica, who has been heavily linked with Williams' vacant 2018 seat, will drive on both days of the two-day test, which runs immediately after this weekend's 2017 finale on the Yas Marina circuit.

It will be the Pole's third test outing with the team - and his second taste of 2017 F1 machinery, following an official outing with Renault in August.

Williams intend to use Kubica on the opening morning and final afternoon, with Stroll taking over for the rest of day one and Sirotkin doing likewise on the morning of day two.

The test is run under Pirelli's guidance as part of a season-long programme to evaluate the Italian manufacturer's 2018 tyre compounds.

Williams said they were 'excited' to have the opportunity to partake in the trials with 'such an interesting range of drivers: Lance, as confirmed race driver for 2018, Robert with his huge experience, and Sergey as a very promising young talent in Formula One'.

Williams are one of only two teams, alongside Sauber, yet to confirm their 2018 driver line-up.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/headlines/2017/11/f1-kubica-williams-abu-dhabi-test.html
William seems to still have a bit of trouble confirm Kubica tho...wonder if this is a done deal already, and this test is just a show :hmm:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
William seems to still have a bit of trouble confirm Kubica tho...wonder if this is a done deal already, and this test is just a show :hmm:
It is just a matter of sorting out the paperwork that is holding up the deal.

"Although the 2018 deal has still to be confirmed, our understanding is that he will, in fact, be racing for the team next year, pending the expected resolution of contract issues," Hughes reports.

"The delay is believed to be about the structure of his payments, and this is almost certainly linked to the fact that an insurance pay-out for the ending of his career will now have to be paid back."

www.sport24.co.za/Motorsport/kubica-deal-held-up-by-paperwork-report-20171122

http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/f1/kubica-deal-delayed-paperwork

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
WILLIAMS RACING‏Verified account @WilliamsRacing 5 hours ago
Good morning from Abu Dhabi! The sun is shining and we have Robert Kubica in the car as track action gets underway! #f1
Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? DPsg5n_X4AA056b

Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? DPsg5n9X0AAE1ab

32 laps on the board as Robert posts a 1:41.296 putting him 5th quickest as we approach midday

Over 500km under his belt in the FW40 and that’s a job well done for Robert on day one of the #AbuDhabiTest #F1 #Kubica
Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? DPtwtoXX4AAG0XH

Alonso crashes out of Abu Dhabi post-season test
Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? 15118617913905

Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? DPs1PR1X4AAVxEs

Last edited:

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • 01. Kimi Räikkönen (Ferrari) - 1:37.768 (48 Laps)
    02. Daniel Ricciardo (Red Bull) - 1:38.066 (78)
    03. Romain Grosjean (Haas) - 1:39.270 (69)
    04. Nico HĂĽlkenberg (Renault) - 1:39.803 (58)
    05. Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) - 1:39.999 (75)
    06. Nikta Mazepin (Force India) - 1:40.890 (52)
    07. Robert Kubica (Williams) - 1:41.296 (100)
    08. Fernando Alonso (McLaren) - 1:41.386 (49)
    09. Oliver Turvey (McLaren) - 1:41.914 (95)
    10. Marcus Ericsson (Sauber) - 1:42.940 (62)
    11. Sean Galeal (Toro Rosso) - 1:43.983 (65)
Fresh from the car Robert faces the media..... and he is a popular boy! #kubica #f1 #abudhabitest

Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? DPuCZBeWkAAVz1Z

Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? DPuCZBgWAAAfZSn

Honda Civic 10th gen F1 Talk Anyone? DPuCZBgWsAANHkH

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Robert Kubica 'confident and comfortable' after Williams test

Robert Kubica said he felt "confident and comfortable" in his first test in Williams' 2017 car as the team decides whether to sign him for next year.

The Pole, 32, is aiming to return after a seven-year absence following a horrific rally crash that left him with only partial movement in his right arm.

He set the ninth fastest time of the day in a Pirelli tyre test in Abu Dhabi featuring all the F1 teams.

"I have some limitations and I have to adapt," he said.

"But one positive thing is how my body is reacting and how natural I feel every day, so that gives me a lot of confidence."

It is impossible to make an accurate assessment from the raw times as the teams do not reveal the specification in which they run their cars.

"What the future will bring, I do not know, but today was the kind of day that if nothing else happens there will be disappointment because I feel confident and comfortable," Kubica said.

"It has not been easy, but I am in far better physical shape than when I was racing in 2010," Kubica said. "The motivation is there and the body is reacting in a good way.

"I am starting from scratch because Formula 1 has changed so much over the past seven years, but the experience I gained while racing in F1 has helped me to get on top of the learning process.

"One positive thing is how my body is reacting and how natural I feel every day when I am driving these cars, so that gives me a lot of confidence."

Kubica will drive again on Wednesday, after Russian Sergey Sirotkin, the Renault reserve driver in 2017, also tests the car.

Other candidates for the seat alongside Canadian Lance Stroll in 2018 are Russian Daniil Kvyat, dropped by Toro Rosso in October, and Williams' reserve driver Paul di Resta of Scotland.

Kubica, who has already tested Williams' 2014 car, is the overwhelming favourite for the drive unless the team feel the Abu Dhabi test proves he cannot handle the more demanding 2017 cars.

Felipe Massa, who retired at the end of the season, has said he believed Kubica was effectively driving one-handed because of his injury. Kubica denies this.

"There is someone saying I'm driving one-handed, I'm not driving one-handed," he said. "I think it's impossible to drive a Formula 1 car with one hand.

"But I have some limitations so in some way my body used some compensations, which is not wrong.

"We are human beings and our brains are used to help our bodies overcome disabilities. This is normal daily life.

"I think I am on top of this."

Williams will analyse the data from the test early next week and aim to make a decision on their line-up by mid-December.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/42158031

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
  • Vettel fastest, Kubica quicker than Stroll :cool:
Sebastian Vettel has finished top of the timesheet on the final day of tyre testing at the Yas Marina circuit – the last on-track action until February.

The Ferrari driver set a best time of 1:37.551 in the morning session, two tenths quicker than Kimi Raikkonen managed on Tuesday, and racked up 117 laps in process of testing a variety of new tyres including the 2018 pink-striped hypersofts.

Valtteri Bottas improved to P2 and to within one second of Vettel in the afternoon, on a day where he completed 141 laps in the W08, whilst Max Verstappen also surpassed a century of laps on his way to third.

Sergio Perez and Esteban Ocon split sessions in the Force India garage and finished P4 and P5 respectively and Carlos Sainz rounded off the top six in the Renault.

A certain Robert Kubica returned to the Williams FW40 for the final two hours of the session and rose to P7 with a best time of 1:39.485. That was 0.095 seconds quicker than Lance Stroll's best on Tuesday after testing out some of the softer tyre compounds.

It was also half a second quicker than Sergey Sirotkin in P10, who took on the bulk of the work at Williams on the final day.

Sandwiched in between the two Williams drivers were Stoffel Vandoorne in the McLaren and Haas' Kevin Magnussen.

Charles Leclerc completed the most laps, 149 in total, on his way to P11 in the Sauber. Lando Norris (McLaren) and Brendon Hartley (Toro Rosso) completed the timesheet.

1 Sebastian Vettel Ferrari 1'37"551 118 laps
2 Valtteri Bottas Mercedes 1'38"490 00"939 141
3 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1'38"736 01"185 132
4 Sergio Perez Force India 1'38"818 01"267 52
5 Esteban Ocon Force India 1'39"148 01"597 72
6 Carlos Sainz Renault 1'39"444 01"893 109
7 Robert Kubica Williams 1'39"485 01"934 28
8 Stoffel Vandoorne McLaren 1'39"782 02"231 105
9 Kevin Magnussen Haas 1'39"810 02"259 124
10 Sergey Sirotkin Williams 1'39"947 02"396 86
11 Charles Leclerc Sauber 1'40"666 03"115 149
12 Lando Norris McLaren 1'41"714 04"163 118
13 Brendon Hartley Toro Rosso 1'43"345 05"794 61
14 Pierre Gasly Toro Rosso 1'44"827 07"276 63

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
"F1.com" said:
Sauber confirm Leclerc & Ericsson, as Alfa Romeo livery revealed
"F1.com" said:
Reigning Formula 2 champion Charles Leclerc will race alongside Marcus Ericsson at Sauber next season. The Ferrari Driver Academy member takes over from Pascal Wehrlein, with Antonio Giovinazzi to serve as third driver for 2018.
AND Ladies and Gentlemen, we now present to you the two drivers for the #2018 #F1 #AlfaRomeoSauberF1Team, Marcus Ericsson and Charles Leclerc pic.twitter.com/XbdV0IbGjt

— Sauber F1 Team (@SauberF1Team) December 2, 2017

The line-up was announced at a special press event in Milan, Italy on Saturday, where the team revealed further details of their new title sponsorship deal with Alfa Romeo, including a revised red and white livery concept for next season’s car.

Not to mention we have also just revealed the livery concept show car for the #F1 #2018 #AlfaRomeoSauberF1Team challenger pic.twitter.com/9HMNC6ILLG

— Sauber F1 Team (@SauberF1Team) December 2, 2017

Leclerc has risen rapidly through the single-seater ranks, winning the GP3 title last year before his F1 championship triumph this season. He first tested with Sauber’s engine suppliers Ferrari in 2016, as well as participating in four F1 Friday practice sessions with the Ferrari-powered Haas squad. This season he tested with both Ferrari and Sauber, and enjoyed another four F1 practice outings with the latter.

“I am very happy to be entering Formula One in 2018,” said the 20-year-old from Monaco. “First and foremost, I would like to thank Ferrari for their support. I would also like to thank Sauber for their trust and confidence in me as a driver, and look forward to joining the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team for the upcoming season.

“It was a great experience to drive a few FP1 sessions and tyre tests for the Sauber F1 Team in 2017, during which the team welcomed me straight away. It is a great working environment, and I already feel confident and comfortable here. In 2018, my aim will be to gain more experience in Formula One, and to bring as much value to the team as possible in return.”

For Ericssson, 2018 will mark his fifth season in F1 and his fourth with Sauber. The 27-year-old Swede has scored nine points with the Swiss team in that time.

“First of all, I would like to congratulate the team on the new partnership with Alfa Romeo,” commented Ericsson. “It is a great honour for me to be driving for this team in 2018, and I am excited and proud to be part of this promising journey. I am confident that I can add to the knowledge and experience of the team.

“This winter is going to be very busy, and it will be important to push the development of the car in order to have a good start to the season. I am optimistic, that 2018 can be a big step and a good chance for us to move up in the field.”

Team principal Frederic Vasseur added: “With Marcus and Charles, we have a strong driver duo for the debut season of the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team. Marcus is an experienced Formula One driver, who knows the procedures and the team well, after having worked together for the past 3 years. He is a team player, and has a very positive attitude.

“Charles has proven his talent in several racing series, most recently winning the Formula 2 World Championship title. He had the chance to drive in four FP1 sessions and two tyre tests for us this season, and convinced the team with his professionalism and charisma. I look forward to going into 2018 with this driver pairing, and I am convinced that they will complement each other very well.”

Giovinazzi, who served as Ferrari’s third driver in 2017, has two Sauber race outings to his name, the Italian having stood in for the injured Wehrlein at this season’s two opening rounds, with a best finish of 12th in Australia. He will take part in six FP1 sessions for the team in 2018, having completed seven with Haas this year.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Formula1.com said:
Alfa Romeo to return to F1 with Sauber
29 Nov 2017

The Sauber F1 Team have signed a multi-year technical and commercial partnership with Alfa Romeo, returning the Italian car manufacturer to F1 after an absence of more than 30 years.
The deal will see the Swiss squad renamed Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team from 2018, with the car bearing the Alfa Romeo logo and being equipped with 2018-spec Ferrari engines.

“This agreement with the Sauber F1 Team is a significant step in the reshaping of the Alfa Romeo brand, which will return to Formula 1 after an absence of more than 30 years,” said Ferrari chairman Sergio Marchionne, who also acts as CEO of Alfa Romeo’s parent company Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.

“A storied marque that has helped make the history of this sport, Alfa Romeo will join other major automakers that participate in Formula 1. The brand itself will also benefit from the sharing of technology and strategic know-how with a partner of the Sauber F1 Team’s undisputed experience.

“The Alfa Romeo engineers and technicians, who have already demonstrated their capabilities with the newly-launched models, Giulia and Stelvio, will have the opportunity to make that experience available to the Sauber F1 Team. At the same time, Alfa Romeo fans will once again have the opportunity to support an automaker that is determined to begin writing an exciting new chapter in its unique, legendary sporting history.”

Pascal Picci, Chairman of Sauber Holding AG, added: “We are very pleased to welcome Alfa Romeo to the Sauber F1 Team. Alfa Romeo has a long history of success in Grand Prix racing, and we are very proud that this internationally renowned company has chosen to work with us for its return to the pinnacle of motorsport.

“Working closely with a car manufacturer is a great opportunity for the Sauber Group to further develop its technology and engineering projects. We are confident that together we can bring the Alfa Romeo Sauber F1 Team great success, and look forward to a long and successful partnership.”

Alfa Romeo was the dominant force as the Formula 1 World Championship began in 1950, with the Italian marque claiming an historic 1-2-3 in the first ever race at Silverstone before claiming back-to-back world championships with Nino Farina and Juan Manuel Fangio.

The Milan-based marque then served as an engine supplier for several teams from 1961 until 1979, before returning with a works team from 1979 to 1985.

Sauber have not yet revealed who will race for them in 2018, but having strengthened their ties with Ferrari – which carries Alfa Romeo logos on its cars - the Scuderia’s junior drivers Charles Leclerc (the recently crowned F2 champion) and Antonio Giovinazzi are thought to be firmly in the frame for seats.