Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 SportTouring Hatch, 2010 EvoX SE
Country flag
Hello everyone!

I just picked up a 2017 Sport Touring Hatchback as my new daily. Enjoying it so far.

My main car is a 2010 Mitsubishi Evo X SE that has become a pretty big build - first SCCA Solo A-Street Prepared (autox for those not familiar with classing/rules), and now prepping for NASA TT2.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback IMG_7215_zpsmok7zmow

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback IMG_7183_zpskwdapaay

Kozmic Motorsports (well known in the Evo community) and Race Competition Engineering (for suspensions tuning) have been long time supporters through my endeavors. For those wanting to kill some time with more reading material, you can see what I've been through on that car through my build threads:
https://boostedforums.net/showthread.php?625-Exyia-2-0-Special-Edition-done-right!

I've run into a few hiccups in the build, so I went out looking for a daily.

I didn't need much car for my daily with a ~3 mile commute and didn't want to spend that much. I've always had a soft spot for the CR-Z and ended up finding a manual 6spd for a good deal (they depreciate like crazy). I drove 1.5 hours away to get it in the next town over from Houston (College Station)

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback crz1_zpsxv9ufpob

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20160706_192101_zps4iqmupta

It was only fun in that it reminded me of my high school days of driving a slow car fast was fun. I LOVED having a hatchback though. My other hobbies (airsoft being a big one) were much more fun when I had an easy hatchback to load all my stuff.

Then one day I saw two Civic Hatchbacks in the parking lot. They were definitely striking. I've always thought the 10th gen Civics should have been a hatchback with how the roof sloped into the rear, but I didn't expect the Hatchback to be so edgy. I wasn't sure if I liked or disliked it, but it caught my attention.

But being a hatchback, I decided to look into it (I never liked the Focus or Fiesta ST offerings). The more I read, the more I liked. It was fast enough to be fun, but the tech/hondasensing features had me really interested. This seemed like a car I would be completely happy with until it died (there wouldn't be any new features on a car that would make me want to upgrade after a few years). I decided it would be worth making payments on a daily I would enjoy being in everyday I can't drive the Evo.

Then I found my frustration with how Honda packages their features in trim levels. Either get the 6 speed with nothing or get all the features but drive a CVT. After test driving all of them, I decided to opt for a loaded Sport Touring. While the Sport 6MT was fun, it didn't offer anything ground breaking and I feel it would just be the next car until the next cool thing came along - while the Sport Touring had every feature I could ever want in a car regardless of class.

Finding a Sport Touring was another difficult endeavor, but ironically, the same Honda dealership I drove out to for my CR-Z had one in black. I made a deal and then drove over. The drive home made me happy with my choice - LKA and ACC really made this feel like a newer age of car compared to just driving another turbocharged 6speed manual hatchback.

Trading in the CRZ
Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170218_180106_zpsxugi3ggt

The new Civic
Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170222_123331_zpsobwiweiu

I didn't take many pictures at all because I couldn't stand how it looked without window tint, so more pictures to follow.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170227_163119_zpswmq3vsnt

As for plans, I think the powertrain will be more than fun enough with a few mods to be a sporty daily that doesn't feel like a compromise, with all the comfort and tech features that makes this car just enjoyable to be in. The few times I had to slog through rush hour traffic, I was the most comfortable I have ever been in a car with HondaSensing.

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The first thing that surprised me when driving the car was how weird lane keeping assist feels on the wheel.

When I finally got home, later that weekend I noticed the wheel wasn't centered...
That explains the wheel feeling jerky on the short roadtrip home.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170220_162516_zpslelecp1z

on the way to the dealer

It took two trips to the dealer (sort of my fault because I had to be ultra specific for the mechanic to notice) to find that the front toe was out of alignment. After an annoying "I just got the car" day, it was finally fixed.

---

Next was side markers.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170228_182741_zps55qlifgn

Went with the set from iJDMToy and a set of amber Sylvania 194's. To my surprise I wasn't a fan of the amber. I still had some LEDs left from replacing my interior lights and thought I would throw those in. I'm much happier with those.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170228_193009_zps8asdz2yw

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170228_193015_zpsbzu6e5q

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170228_192959_zpslzp0fin7

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170228_192951_zpst3g0fq9x

Although now I'm wondering if I even like another reflector there - part of me thinks the front is busy enough as is and I should just smoke it black to meld with the black body paint of the car. I might end up doing it.

DrGiggleFr1tz

I love me some hatch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Looks awesome! If you're wondering a smoked side marker would look like on the black exterior, this is what I did to mine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback w2v8S11

I absolutly love the LED that you popped in there though. I may have to do that.

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Looks awesome! If you're wondering a smoked side marker would look like on the black exterior, this is what I did to mine.

I absolutly love the LED that you popped in there though. I may have to do that.
ohhh, thanks for sharing. Looks like I'll have to heavily smoke it to match the body color. I might just keep it as is then.

Part of me thinks the front is too busy with another light, but part of me feels silly trying to mask a light/marker as part of the body work and knowing it will always look off

But noticing that the side markers are always on when driving is what pushed me to try the LED. I don't mind the amber if it's a parking light, but I don't like these orange whiskers while the car is driving. I was just surprised they stay on all the time.

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170302_181822_zpshdnhyem0

:O

So got my Hondata in and flashed the +6 basemap. Overall process was seamless.

I did have a bit of a scare when LKA and Lane Departure errors stayed on the dash while all the others went away - I would not trade those features for more power on my daily comfort vehicle.

I reversed out of my spot to test drive the map anyway. After backing out and putting the car back in drive, to my surprise, all the warnings and were off. Good to go!

The basemap was just as expected - fixes the sluggish throttle response and adds a bit of boost. The throttle response is always the best part of tuning a vehicle off the factory map. The car finally feels like an eager hot hatch with a small but sugar-hyped 1.5Liter.

I'm now prepping new wheels to be put on and then to hit some autox and back road runs

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170302_072331_zpsl5i0opto

kcarne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Hatchback Sport 6MT WOP
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170302_181822_zpshdnhyem0

:O

So got my Hondata in and flashed the +6 basemap. Overall process was seamless.

I did have a bit of a scare when LKA and Lane Departure errors stayed on the dash while all the others went away - I would not trade those features for more power on my daily comfort vehicle.

I reversed out of my spot to test drive the map anyway. After backing out and putting the car back in drive, to my surprise, all the warnings and were off. Good to go!

The basemap was just as expected - fixes the sluggish throttle response and adds a bit of boost. The throttle response is always the best part of tuning a vehicle off the factory map. The car finally feels like an eager hot hatch with a small but sugar-hyped 1.5Liter.

I'm now prepping new wheels to be put on and then to hit some autox and back road runs

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170302_072331_zpsl5i0opto
The side markers look great! Do you worry about the Hondata affecting your warranty? I've been thinking about it, but I got the 8yr 120mile Hondacare and would really kick myself if something got messed up on account of the tune

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The side markers look great! Do you worry about the Hondata affecting your warranty? I've been thinking about it, but I got the 8yr 120mile Hondacare and would really kick myself if something got messed up on account of the tune
Hondata provided tunes ran a whole 25 hours at Thunderhill. Having seen and helped with motorsports events/races, they are no joke. I highly respect Hondata for both participating and completing an endurance event.

But if you're the kind of person that is still worried or worries easily, just leave it stock. Nothing will settle your nerves more than leaving it alone :p

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
test fitting new wheels. still working on getting all the old paint on them off - what a nightmare. should have just paid to take tires off and have someone sandblast them...oh well

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170306_213317_HDR_zpsx4tfegn5

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Are those the stock EVO enkeis?
Yup! Just found a good deal with an old Evo friend and I've always liked how simple and purposeful they looked. The OEM wheels are too busy for my tastes with how busy the bodywork already is. I didn't want to spend more for aftermarket - I'd rather spend that money on tires instead. This car definitely feels like it could use some stickier rubber

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag
are you interseting in selling those sport rims/tires ;) I'm planning to buy an EX, and those ex stock rims are god awful.

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
are you interseting in selling those sport rims/tires ;) I'm planning to buy an EX, and those ex stock rims are god awful.
Got a sale pending this week already, sorry! :(

OP
OP

exyia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lack of updates because I got busy with the Evo and things around the house

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170311_174517_zpsr8jg7okc

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170327_170422_zpsj8pm1xs

New wheels on, getting tires on today. Continental was having a closeout deal on DW's, which I think will compliment the car nicely. The car probably isn't capable of much more than what these tires can handle.

This is the first car I've ever bothered debadging (I actually like badges /shrug), but I like it without "CIVIC" on the back. Not sure if I'll take off the Sport Touring trim off too. Eh, who knows.

Also these finally came in

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170328_092208_zpsxl4jxpxb

Paddle shifter extensions! Shipped from china on ebay, so I knew if I wanted them, I had to just order them and wait.

Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters are infuriating to me (my Evo has them mounted on the column), so I was hoping it would annoy me less with these extensions.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170331_122652_zpsnbnfxgv

I'm surprised at how nice they make the interior look. Not the best picture so I will have to update later, I just haven't had time to wash yet.

---

As for impressions so far...

The "Premium" sound system is garbage. It's annoying considering how nice and fancy they made the tweeters look in both the front and rear. The subwoofer is anemic (either the crossover frequency is way off or it's just not strong enough). Low and mid range sounds are just completely flat. I'm reading around and getting mixed experiences on how people went about improving it, but I don't think I could live with this sound system on road trips.

On a related note...the head unit is junk too. It may look nice and sleek, but it's slow to respond (already had an occurrence where it froze completely for hours). The sound system and the head unit are SUCH a disappointment that it makes me wonder if I should have just bought a lower Sport trim and done all of this myself.

But more positive notes:

I've always been a fan of Audi. One day I'm sure I'll let myself pull the trigger on a nicely optioned Audi when I feel I'm "too old". I've just always appreciated how even the base A4's and lower models still feel refined and well balanced to drive.

I'm realizing now that this Civic really drives like a base level A3/A4. A good broad powerband. Responsive throttle. Unfussy transmission even when the pedal is suddenly smacked to the floor. It just responds without complaining. The handling feels composed as-is and doesn't need much more.

I still love Honda Sensing. No matter what I may be annoyed by in this car or trim level, I know that Honda Sensing was why I opted for it and the CVT (since for no logical reason the US just doesn't get it on manuals).

Next plan after tires today is hit the auto-x. The Evo needs a new transmission rebuild unfortunately :(

slothy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
Also these finally came in

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170328_092208_zpsxl4jxpxb

Paddle shifter extensions! Shipped from china on ebay, so I knew if I wanted them, I had to just order them and wait.

Steering wheel mounted paddle shifters are infuriating to me (my Evo has them mounted on the column), so I was hoping it would annoy me less with these extensions.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exyia's Sport Touring Hatchback P_20170331_122652_zpsnbnfxgv

I'm surprised at how nice they make the interior look. Not the best picture so I will have to update later, I just haven't had time to wash yet.
Link for the paddle shifter extensions?