Extremely High Knock Control on Stage 2 Dual W/ 94 octane?!? Unsafe? [HB Sport Touring CVT]

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks again for educating me lol. I'll try another batch tonight from a different station, if that doesn't work then I'll try another brand. And you're right, I was getting mixed up with engine knock and knock control :imnew:.

One more question aside from this topic. On my CVT, is it safe to enable/increase the Boost Target Ramp Rate? Probably set it to Improved II?

Thanks again for your valuable input.
Definitely safe and recommended.
Sponsored

dc2turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
civic,teg
Country flag
Go back to the factory tune and do the same test. It should not raise that high.
You may have rod knock or a vibration from something causing your kcontrol to go up. Let's just hope its bad gas. I wouldn't beat on it

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Go back to the factory tune and do the same test. It should not raise that high.
You may have rod knock or a vibration from something causing your kcontrol to go up. Let's just hope its bad gas. I wouldn't beat on it
When reflashing the stock calibration, it will reset to 0.9X.
But normal knock control if your car is bone stock is 0.49-1.30 as stated by 10th Gen Master Tuner Derek Robinson.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
When reflashing the stock calibration, it will reset to 0.9X.
But normal knock control if your car is bone stock is 0.49-1.30 as stated by 10th Gen Master Tuner Derek Robinson.
On a side note, I was just looking at your mod list. Holy crap. Just how fast is your Si?

OP
OP
vancitysfinest
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Country flag
I wonder if you're confusing knock control with actual engine knock (which does harm).

No harm from high K. Control other than less power while it spikes due to pulled timing. If gas from a different station doesn't help, could you try a different brand? If all else fails contact KTuner customer service.

Last but not least keep in mind that K. Control will rise due to heavy throttle input, load, steep hills, high temps, etcetera. All normal. But 1.09 is a rather high spike.
So I did another test today with a new batch of 94 from a different chevron gas station. And the results were disappointing... knock went right back to 1.07+ when going for a hard pull and easily came back down after a couple of minutes of regular driving.

I guess the last thing to try is a different brand name fuel. I'll do another test later today on different brand gas and see what happens. If that fails, then I'm not to sure what to do next...

OP
OP
vancitysfinest
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am a complete novice at this. Is there anyway I can self diagnose this? How do I know if I have "rod knock"? Thanks.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
Relax....your supposed 94oct isn’t that great.
As others have already stated, K-Control is adjusting your timing. If your cylinders were seriously knocking you would always be in the +1 or better.
For being in 64deg weather your IAT2 is pretty warm. You are either at a crawl and then attempting to accelerate or perhaps on an incline.

OP
OP
vancitysfinest
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Relax....your supposed 94oct isn’t that great.
As others have already stated, K-Control is adjusting your timing. If your cylinders were seriously knocking you would always be in the +1 or better.
For being in 64deg weather your IAT2 is pretty warm. You are either at a crawl and then attempting to accelerate or perhaps on an incline.
I've been reading some local car forums and people have been saying the 94 by this brand here is not as good the main competitors 91. I'll try the next brand and see if their 91 will help. As for the K-Control, I did sever pulls, the first of which I was coasting at normal high-way speeds and went straight to redline. Second pull was a slow crawl to redline. Both resulted in the 1.07-1.09 K-Control.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I still think it's the gas. I use 93 octane Sunoco Ultra and if I do a WOT pull depending on the IAT's and if I'm going up an incline, it will jump up quite a bit and then slowly come down. That's normal. The key thing to me is that your K. Control numbers are dropping back down after the pull. I'd have to think if you had other serious issues, K.Control would stay high.

I don't think you have Sunoco up there but try Shell premium if you have it available.

Last edited:

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've been reading some local car forums and people have been saying the 94 by this brand here is not as good the main competitors 91. I'll try the next brand and see if their 91 will help. As for the K-Control, I did sever pulls, the first of which I was coasting at normal high-way speeds and went straight to redline. Second pull was a slow crawl to redline. Both resulted in the 1.07-1.09 K-Control.
You should really stop and go back to the stock tune first, test that and see if your car goes back to normal. Secondly when you say your on a Stg2 are you talking about one of the Ktuner basemaps still?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
He has a non-Si, only the Ktuner base tunes are available. No TSP tune... YET.

OP
OP
vancitysfinest
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You should really stop and go back to the stock tune first, test that and see if your car goes back to normal. Secondly when you say your on a Stg2 are you talking about one of the Ktuner basemaps still?
He has a non-Si, only the Ktuner base tunes are available. No TSP tune... YET.
What do you mean by “goes back to normal”? The kcontrol immediately returns to 0.48-0.56 after 5 mins of normal driving with my current tune. It’s only when after I do a pull that it goes extremely high. If this new tank of gas doesn’t work, I’ll go back to stock then and try again.

gtman is correct. I am only using the available base tunes with quick enabled and quick adjustments. We do have shell up here and that was the brand I was going to try next. I’ll giver her a fill tonight and see what happens.

Thanks

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
KTuner didn’t fool with the sensor readings; so, KCon should be consistent either way.

LilToTo17

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
Vehicle(s)
98 Civic EX with SI Conversion-Sold, 2017 Civic Si Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
On a side note, I was just looking at your mod list. Holy crap. Just how fast is your Si?
It’s pretty quick lol. Getting etuned by DRob on Tuesday

Reactions: Myx

Hollywoo0220

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
For some reason I thought I remembered reading that unlike the .49 we see with KTuner, the stock tune never went that low. Of course, I could be dreaming.;)
It’s the higher Oct that makes all the difference.
On another note:
If by chance someone builds their block and does a balance shaft delete or changes piston compression the knock sensors may pick up frequency. So, if high Oct is being used and the knock is present, a tuner could turn down the sensitivity. Only limitation is that level of fuel would always need to be used with that tune file.
Sponsored