ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS are my favorite. My car still have great steering feel, works in the snow, and a lot more comfortable. I went with sparco 18 x8 just to run dws. On my evo, STI back in the day cars I realized these were 75% traction against my snow tires and 85% with summer tires. On the street laptimes doesn’t mean much and the steering still feels great with these. Don’t know today but last gen tires the pilot a/s and Bridgestone wasn’t as good for more $$. My vote is dws.
Sponsored

Reactions: B$$

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Agree with others--unless you're seeing snow, a good summer tire can also work fine in the wet, and will edge out an all-season in everything but snow. You'd be leaving performance on the table in an area like AZ.

I loved the DWS on my old TL. I took that car up to the mountains on ski trips. not so much with the Type R.

Looking at the test/track times of the tires on tirerack, i'll probably try the Hankook EVOs next. Currently on 35 profile FK510s on OEM wheels

m3cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
If you don't drive in the mountains or cold climate go with summer tires with good rain performance. The summer tire compound will work better at high tempertures. For example a DWS will have a lot more traction in ultra cold temperatures than my stock cup 2's.

OP
OP
B$$

B$$

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HONDA FK8, 2022 TOYOTA COROLLA HB XSE
Country flag
I love this forum....it's practically a coin toss! Thanks again everyone!

FK8CW2019

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
I live in CA so summer tires and hands down MPS4S all the way. Currently put almost 30K still plenty left

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
I switched from the contis that come on the hatch sport(not sure if they're the same on CTR) to the DWS+ and it feels like there has been a good 20% gain in forward traction, cornering feels more planted and turn in is much better. The car feels a little less stable in a straight line but not to the point of being scary, more like it's ready to turn when you move the wheel. I haven't pushed them hard in the rain yet but they feel really stable in it. Touched some snow this week and they felt just as good as the stock tires.
If I were you, the only reason I'd run these or the Michelin AS4 would be if you're looking at longevity as summer tires will last a lot less than these 2. The DWS are supposedly warrantied for 50k miles while any of their summer tires are below 30k last I checked.

Also, summers will massively lose grip in under 40F weather so that's something else to consider.

RTC975

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP Type-R
Country flag
I switched from the contis that come on the hatch sport(not sure if they're the same on CTR) to the DWS+ and it feels like there has been a good 20% gain in forward traction, cornering feels more planted and turn in is much better. The car feels a little less stable in a straight line but not to the point of being scary, more like it's ready to turn when you move the wheel. I haven't pushed them hard in the rain yet but they feel really stable in it. Touched some snow this week and they felt just as good as the stock tires.
If I were you, the only reason I'd run these or the Michelin AS4 would be if you're looking at longevity as summer tires will last a lot less than these 2. The DWS are supposedly warrantied for 50k miles while any of their summer tires are below 30k last I checked.

Also, summers will massively lose grip in under 40F weather so that's something else to consider.
Completely different wheel, tire & front suspension configuration on the Type-R vs the other Civics. Appreciate the insight.

It's not summer tires only losing grip in cold temps. The compound can and will crack if flexed at those temperatures. Most if not all mfg of summer tires recommend storing them above that temp.

I have the AS4 on my car because I need to be able to move it in cold temperatures and when I do drive it, I do not track it. They're more than capable for hammering the twisties and back roads.

Going to an 18 with the AS4 in my situation has provided a few PRO's. Gravel kick up in to the car is vastly reduced. Longevity is a bonus too with the AS4, not that the PS4S would kill me financially. Having a bit more sidewall for how shitty the roads are here helps. I love the 20" / basically zero sidewall feel but that BANG when you hit a pothole on them was life changing. They're unbent and in storage, where they'll stay until I move south. When that happens, I won't run a uhp all season.

DeVo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R #21399
Country flag
I have the DWS (245/35/20) from before they came out with the plus. I love driving on the, but I've had to replace 3. 2 because of pot holes. I hope when I change to the plus they are much stronger.

Coqui

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Boost Blue
Country flag
I ran 510s on my gramlight 57CR last summer. For winter, I went with some enkeis w dws06+ 265/35/18. And they were great in below freezing temps. Switched last week to my new summer set TE37 w falken rt615k+.

OP
OP
B$$

B$$

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 HONDA FK8, 2022 TOYOTA COROLLA HB XSE
Country flag
Beating the proverbial dead horse here: ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS or PS4S are my choices. The shit roads, extreme heat (Summer), extreme Monsoon (Summer) season, and "fairly cold" Winters (spent 48 years in Montana) here in Southern AZ are the factors. Longevity and tread wear are my prime concerns along with performance.

Last edited:

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
pretty sure you can't go wrong with either tire. From all the reviews I've seen of both, as they were my 2 choices either, they perform pretty similarly and have the same thread wear rating. What won the Contis for me was my tire dealer was able to get them for 30$ cheaper per tire compared to the Michelins. Prob trying the Michelins once these wear out to compare.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Beating the proverbial dead horse here: ExtremeContact DWS 06 PLUS or PS4S are my choices. The shit roads, extreme heat (Summer), extreme Monsoon (Summer) season, and "fairly cold" Winters (spent 48 years in Montana) here in Southern AZ are the factors. Longevity and tread wear are my prime concerns along with performance.
PS4S is a summer tire while the DWS06 Plus is an all season compound. Do you want a grippy summer compound that isn't recommended in the cold or do you want an all season compound that can do some cold work with the sacrifice of some traction loss in the higher temps?

Benster

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic HB Sport 6MT
Country flag
Sorry was thinking the all seasons 4 from michelin

VashTheStampede

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, FK7, EG2
Country flag
I run the 06 plus on my winter 18” wheels on the Type R and also on my daily driver 18 Civic hatch - I really love this tire. Very inexpensive for what they are, excellent stability - they’re nice and soft for the 18” wheee on the R. I’ve had the more expensive Michelin PS4s on my 2nd Gen Acura TSX and liked them quite a lot, but they’re not that much better for the extra $150 - $200 or so for a set of 4 over what I paid for the type R - not worth it for my beater tires. I wouldn’t get them if you live in a climate without winter, though. Just get summers.

Anyway, I can’t say enough nice things about the DWS 06 Plus for a daily - ESPECIALLY if you have a Sport or EX hatch, as it makes the car a little more direct.

Vaporeon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Civic Type R
Country flag
Do the DWS 06 plus run much better than standard DWS06? It is what I am on (Canadian weather) but curious about getting new rubber for winter + summer instead of all seasons... but if it isn't that much of a jump...
Sponsored