Exterior Rattle Sound

davissaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Hey all,

I've taken in my Touring twice now to fix a metallic rattle problem that seems to be plaguing my car on the passenger side. The first time I took it in, they told me there was a heat shield that was loose so they tightened it. The rattle sound was significantly more quiet and located more in the back passenger side once I got it back; sounds like it's around the muffler area.

The second time the dealer rode with me and said he couldn't hear it, even though I could, and when he DID finally hear it he said it was 'normal road sounds'.

Needless to say, I wasn't at all surprised when I got my car back to find out that nothing had been done to get rid of the sound. I guess my question is two parts:

1: Has anyone else been having this similar issue with their Civic?
2: At what point should I give up on that Honda dealer and find another Honda one?

I might sound anal but I don't think it's acceptable to have a brand new car have a rattle sound at all.
Sponsored

shihkster1015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I do have a clicking noise that comes from my passenger seat.
Brought it in to the dealership and they replied with "If you want us to take apart the seat we can. But it will not be the same as factory. You will be taking apart the seat to find a small problem, but taking it apart will cause big problems in the future"...
AKA they don't want to deal with it.
I'm going to go to the dealership again when that representative isn't there.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I do have a clicking noise that comes from my passenger seat.
Brought it in to the dealership and they replied with "If you want us to take apart the seat we can. But it will not be the same as factory. You will be taking apart the seat to find a small problem, but taking it apart will cause big problems in the future"...
AKA they don't want to deal with it.
I'm going to go to the dealership again when that representative isn't there.
Same here, did you find anything out - Thanks

Gavnzdad

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you sure there isn't something loose and moving around in the trunk, or the spare tire well? Sound can be tricky to pin down, because it can sound like it's in one spot, and actually be in another. Also, lay down and look under the car. Is there anything a little loose that could be "tapping" the underside? Are all the exhaust brackets actually connected? The bad thing is, it could be almost anywhere. My mustang had a loose/rattling front brake caliper, but I swear it sounded like it was in the back.

Last edited:

cjayyy_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Okay, make sure the noise is present, slowly park the car and get out. Put your hand carefully on the bottom rear right bumper and move it. That's where my creak came from.

Ben&Jen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring Cosmic
I found it today...going to post a video soon! I am staring to thing Honda is getting real cheap!

cjayyy_d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
I found it today...going to post a video soon! I am staring to thing Honda is getting real cheap!
Oh tell me about it and it's my first Honda. The car is nice though! Mine is in the shop for a diesel like noise when idle. They found metal shavings on the dip stick.

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh tell me about it and it's my first Honda. The car is nice though! Mine is in the shop for a diesel like noise when idle. They found metal shavings on the dip stick.
Is this the sound your hearing?

domm92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That sounds like the other issue when the starter kicks over for too long?
Well I defiantly have the issue where there is a grinding sound on start up. I'll be uploading that tonight. But this sounds like there's a lot of rattling when it first starts up.
Sponsored