Extender Warranty

IrishImport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modern Steel 2017 Honda Civic Si
I opted for the extended 8yr/100k warranty for I think an extra $1,400. Saw it was previously mentioned, but when it comes to the electronics aspect, I feel comfortable putting up the money for that peace of mind. If cars were made like they were 15 years ago and any/most problems were mechanical I would not have purchased, but when it comes to all of the different things that go into the current Si, I think it makes sense to make that small long term investment.
Sponsored

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I get the peace of mind aspect, but it's a Honda. I've always known them to last almost forever. It may be rusted out and bumper duct taped to the body to stay on in 20-some years but it will probably still be running like a champ.

First car (used 1993 civic coupe) - 2 accidents, a flood, got stolen twice and geez did they do a number on it, interior taken apart multiple times for ultra stereo installs and beaten regularly and it would not die after 20 years of that!

not to mention since I plan on getting an ECU tune, the warranty is really a bad idea for me. :)

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9G Accord V6 Slushbox Sedan
I get the peace of mind aspect, but it's a Honda. I've always known them to last almost forever. It may be rusted out and bumper duct taped to the body to stay on in 20-some years but it will probably still be running like a champ.

[...]

not to mention since I plan on getting an ECU tune, the warranty is really a bad idea for me. :)
The car is not just the engine. The warranty covers other mechanicals and all the electronics. The extended warranty covers more than the original. Trust me when I say it will pay for itself if you ever have anything go wrong with something you didn't mod, and what will go wrong is almost certainly going to be electronic.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm not na-saying people who buy extra warranties. Do what you think is right, but many people buy honda's because you don't "need" one. I for one really only keep cars for 7-8 years and then get a new one because why not. With that, the civic before this one I replaced one motor mount that collapsed ($475) and that's it for 100,000 miles. The one before that, I replaced a headlight bulb and that's it.

but again, do what you think is right.

1.5CivicEX-T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
The car is not just the engine. The warranty covers other mechanicals and all the electronics. The extended warranty covers more than the original. Trust me when I say it will pay for itself if you ever have anything go wrong with something you didn't mod, and what will go wrong is almost certainly going to be electronic.
Does it really cover all or most of the electronics though? Anyone ever read the fine print?

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does it really cover all or most of the electronics though? Anyone ever read the fine print?
I just had the whole nav/radio/climate system (aka "black box") replaced in my Accord. It's the single most expensive part in the entire car, including the engine. (Here's the part on HPN in case you're interested) And it was covered. AFAIK there are only a few non-covered electrical parts in the whole car, and they're not terribly expensive anyway.

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I opted for the extended 8yr/100k warranty for I think an extra $1,400. Saw it was previously mentioned, but when it comes to the electronics aspect, I feel comfortable putting up the money for that peace of mind. If cars were made like they were 15 years ago and any/most problems were mechanical I would not have purchased, but when it comes to all of the different things that go into the current Si, I think it makes sense to make that small long term investment.
You could have gotten more miles for $400 cheaper with Hyannis Honda. I got an 8 yr/120k for $1010... I'm thankful for this forum for pointing that out to me prior to purchase. Tuck that away for the next one.

sesty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just brought the Si Sedan home today... paid $22,775 but the guy sold me on a Platinum protection plan that covers wheel/tires, windshield, and PDR for 1200 and 1600 for 6 years 120k extended service contract... the way i drive i will hit 120 within 5-6 years. Hope i didn't get ripped off too bad on the warranty / tire protection.

But here in NJ pot holes are a year round hazard and ding, dents and windshield cracks are common enough that i think it will pay for itself

jgooooo

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, Miata NA
I got 6/150k and gap. Reason for it is my daily commute is 160 miles 5 times a week. IMO worth it because I’m sure something will go wrong within that period.

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just brought the Si Sedan home today... paid $22,775 but the guy sold me on a Platinum protection plan that covers wheel/tires, windshield, and PDR for 1200 and 1600 for 6 years 120k extended service contract... the way i drive i will hit 120 within 5-6 years. Hope i didn't get ripped off too bad on the warranty / tire protection.

But here in NJ pot holes are a year round hazard and ding, dents and windshield cracks are common enough that i think it will pay for itself
Which dealership?

sesty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
in reading the fine print on the tire protection, etc.. it looks like a 3rd party down in Boca Raton and it may not include the Si Wheels,.. if thats tru i will cancel that and fine coverage elsewhere.

I got 6/150k and gap
maybe im misunderstanding, but doesnt GAP just cover the difference in value to owed in the event of a total loss?

Which dealership?
I got prices from Hamilton, Coast (Sea Girt) and Toms River and they all attempted to beat each other.. I went with Hamilton since its near my office and free oil changes / car wash.

I got a little hosed on my interest rate, 4.4% for 72mo but I plan on paying it off in 5 years

serif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I got prices from Hamilton, Coast (Sea Girt) and Toms River and they all attempted to beat each other.. I went with Hamilton since its near my office and free oil changes / car wash.
I like Coast. They've always been straightforward and non-car-sales-y. I've heard good things about Hamilton as well. The TR sales department can eat a dick.

sesty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree.. Pat Morrata sp? was very nice at Coast... but same price and free oil changes sold it for me at Hamilton. Hamilton was also the first dealer i went to and i must have went on 6 different tests drives w the same guy.

I tried to get them all to throw in the spare and tool kit from the sport hatch but no dice...

Stryder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
Country flag
I opt'd in for the 10yr warranty. Like others stated, I don't trust all the electronic components. Plus the warranty is transferable to next owner if I sell it, so it should keep the resale value a bit higher. 800mi and no issues yet.

wazzupeh

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Highlander
You have a few months (6 I think) after buying to still get in on the extended factory coverage. I got 8 yr, 120K from Hyannis Honda for $910 ($100 deductible). For me, it was more about all the electronics than engine concerns. This car is full of gizmos. It gives you roadside for that amount of time, as well.
do they charge taxes on top of that?
Sponsored