mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
I am about to buy a Civic and I have some questions on Honda extended warranty. Before the Mercedes, I drove a 1999 Honda Prelude. While it was a reliable car, it was a much simpler car.

Questions:
1. Can I buy the extended warranty 1-2 years down the road?
2. Is this extended warranty a comprehensive warranty?
3. Is roadside assistance included?
4. There are a few options: $1140CAN for 5yr/100K KM, $1900for 6yr/160k KM. Any suggestions?
Sponsored

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
1. You can buy it till you are within factory warranty 3yr/36K although there will be around 100$ upcahrge compared to one purchased before 6K
2. It is close to bumper to bumper although there's a list of what parts are covered/not covered.
3. Yes, it is
4. Not sure about Canada but in US you can go Hyannis, College Hills Honda and some one else. Don't buy it at the dealer unless they are willing to match

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
4. Not sure about Canada but in US you can go Hyannis, College Hills Honda and some one else. Don't buy it at the dealer unless they are willing to match
I don't think there is any 3rd party company in Canda for extended warranty.

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
I don't think there is any 3rd party company in Canda for extended warranty.
THese are not 3rd party, they are honda dealerships but they do online business selling Honda Care warranty with no mark up

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
THese are not 3rd party, they are honda dealerships but they do online business selling Honda Care warranty with no mark up
I did a google and did not see any Hyannis Honda in Canada.
I did see Hyannis Honda in Massachusetts. How does it work? What if you are in New York?

parshisa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic X Hatchback LX
Country flag
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Touring
Hi Mis3,

As I have bately purchased a new civic myself, I can share some of my experience with you.

The dealer does provide extended warranty but some provide them through other parties. Mine was through American Honda direct and according to the finance manager, it’s better to go with Honda. My warranty went to 8-years or 120,000 miles complete bumper to bumper. Anything mechanical, electrical, they will take care of. Normal wear and tear components as usual will come out of your pocket. I also have the free maintenance plan for the first three years of its original warranty which is pretty nice. After that, I’ll be paying for normal maintenance.

My roadside assistance is only three years regardless so go figure. But I have AAA anyways so no biggie for me.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First 3 years, almost everything ( not to say all ) are warranty for free.
A 8 years extended warranty is a 5 years warranty.
Most warranty recall are under the 3 years or after 8 years and more.

American Consumers Unions write car builders make 40 % to 80% profit with those warranty.

On some extended warranty plans you must go to the dealer for service ( at $120 / hours ) forget the service Station close to your home at $45 / hours

Reactions: jks
OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
First 3 years, almost everything ( not to say all ) are warranty for free.
A 8 years extended warranty is a 5 years warranty.
Most warranty recall are under the 3 years or after 8 years and more.
American Consumers Unions write car builders make 40 % to 80% profit with those warranty.
On some extended warranty plans you must go to the dealer for service ( at $120 / hours ) forget the service Station close to your home at $45 / hours
I see you are from Quebec. Are these 3rd party warranty services available in Canada? Did you buy the extended warranty yourself on your Civic?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see you are from Quebec. Are these 3rd party warranty services available in Canada? Did you buy the extended warranty yourself on your Civic?

Yes I'm from Quebec.
I ( and my wife too) never bough any extended warranty on our car or anything else.
With the money we save overs years, we can pay for any issue not on warranty.

So I don't know about a 3rd party warranty.

OP
OP

mis3

First Name
PT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercedes, 2018 SI Coupe
Country flag
See, I am not familiar with Honda reliability. As I said, my 1999 Honda Prelude was reliable but it was a much simpler car.

I think let say in over 100K KM, something will go wrong like clutch, AC, etc, right?

jks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RSX
Country flag
I look at extended warranties as an invitation to steal from me. Yes. Please take my money for that high-profit upsell item. I want a middleman to collect money from me whether my car needs work or not. Look, the insurance company selling the extended warranty knows what the odds are that they will have to pay for something that breaks and they charge you more than that to make a profit. They have to pay high commissions to the salesman and that comes out of your pocket. Plus, you will have to keep receipts for all service work and the insurance companies are experts at getting out of not paying what they should pay for. Why set yourself up for the hassle? I mean, if your kidney fails, you're looking at medical costs that would literally bankrupt you. That's why you carry health insurance. If your house burns down, again bankruptcy. That's why you carry home insurance. If your car breaks down would it completely break you financially? If not, just pay for the repair and save $$$ over extended warranty ripoffs. If a car repair would completely wipe you out financially, you probably shouldn't be buying a car in the first place.
Sponsored