Extended warranty for 2016-2018 Turbo/drivetrain due to oil dillution?

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
frontlinegreek, glad you have the safe and exciting 2.0 but I'm still glad I bought the turbo. Maybe you can get a job with Consumer Reports? :cool:
Agreed. I bought this car to drive it. Now they are telling me I have six years to put on as many miles as I can. Challenge accepted
Sponsored

herox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Si
Putting an additional year and an UNLIMITED distance warranty on the 1.5T in at least 3 years of one model and 2 years of another model of literally their most popular two models in North America is not "little to no". It is a giant red flag that Honda KNOWS there is a premature wear issue and that it is likely to occur on many of these specific engines. Their actuaries have done their work and this is the mitigation choice they have decided is best for them and for us. I don't agree with it but it is what it is and at least I personally am not affected.
I came to a different conclusion. Keep in mind VW/Audi aren't offering warranty extensions for their direct injection engines even though they are experiencing severe carbon buildup and catastrophic engine failures. Honda is confident enough to give everyone an additional year and UNLIMITED miles. At the very least, you will have 6 years after purchase to decide whether or not you want to keep the vehicle.

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
Here we go again. Honda has been using this engine in North America for 4 years with a lot of drivers pushing over 60,000 miles and some even in the 100,000 miles mark already, and yet I am yet to see an article on Jalopnik or here or anywhere else about an engine seizing up because of oil dilution. Again Honda has sold hundreds of thousands of these engines, with little to no issues at all. Please do us all a favor and get rid of your Civics and stop with the bitching already.
off-the-cuff, not a mechanic or an engineer, but I’d rather have a little bit of gasoline in my oil than the oil gelling problem that the Toyotas had back in the 90s.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
What isn’t readily apparent in the great information in your post is the fact that the oil for the TDI is a long life detergent oil, VW Spec 507. With the TDI “clean diesel” engine, soot was not suspended so much in the oil anymore, but sent to the diesel particulate filter where it was captured and then later burned off during cycles whereby a cylinder was run rich for the cycle. But, back to the oil. Because it is a detergent oil, new oil introduced during a change started a stripping process that removed a protective coating on metal parts. Then, the oil would redeposit the protective coating on the engine parts. This process induces a calculated wear on the engine, prematurely changing the oil caused needless wear to occur. The VW Spec 507 oil was tested to 30,000 miles, derated to 21K for variable service plan users in Europe and further derated to 10,000 miles for U.S. users accustomed to non variables in car maintenance. That said, I went to 10K on oil changes and even at 210K miles there was never a need to add oil between changes, but what I really liked was when it came due in the brutal cold spells during Wisconsin winters, I could wait the weather out and change it on a more clement day without worry.

The most important thing here is that if you drive short trips in your Volkswagen and start the engine cold often per number of miles driven, you have to also change your oil more often. Not any different than Honda. Short trips are not good for any ICE.

These Volkswagen schedules are for both diesel and gasoline engines. The long life oil is the same. Castrol and nothing else. My civic is not diesel, but the oil still gets quite black from soot.

All oil used in cars today is detergent oil. The civic requires a detergent oil. The last time car engines used non-detergent oil was before oil filters....quite long time ago.

The story about new oil stripping protection from engine parts sounds fascinating. I wonder if this description comes from "Volkswagen engineers" or just imaginative internet users. I hope it only refers to the factory fill. Premature change of this factory oil may prevent forming the full protective surface layer, but will not strip anything already formed.

Funny thing is that the long intervals "flexible" schedule performed by Volkswagen will not save you any noticeable amount of money. There will be less services, but they will cost more each. So the driver on the variable schedule has to be happy with just less bother and less waste oil. But she will always have the anxiety "am I wearing out my engine? should I switch to the fixed schedule?" as is evident from VW forums.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase

NoHonor937

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lunar silver coupe 1.5T
Country flag
Lol yet I still see a shit ton of new Honda’s being bought. The majority of Honda owners have no clue or don’t care. Remember a lot of Honda owners are older generation looking for a high mpg car. If it shits in ten years? Oh well. They just buy a new one.

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Touring Coupe (owned) 2018 Accord base model (leased) 1981 Honda CBX motorcycle
Country flag
The most important thing here is that if you drive short trips in your Volkswagen and start the engine cold often per number of miles driven, you have to also change your oil more often. Not any different than Honda. Short trips are not good for any ICE.

These Volkswagen schedules are for both diesel and gasoline engines. The long life oil is the same. Castrol and nothing else. My civic is not diesel, but the oil still gets quite black from soot.

All oil used in cars today is detergent oil. The civic requires a detergent oil. The last time car engines used non-detergent oil was before oil filters....quite long time ago.

The story about new oil stripping protection from engine parts sounds fascinating. I wonder if this description comes from "Volkswagen engineers" or just imaginative internet users. I hope it only refers to the factory fill. Premature change of this factory oil may prevent forming the full protective surface layer, but will not strip anything already formed.

Funny thing is that the long intervals "flexible" schedule performed by Volkswagen will not save you any noticeable amount of money. There will be less services, but they will cost more each. So the driver on the variable schedule has to be happy with just less bother and less waste oil. But she will always have the anxiety "am I wearing out my engine? should I switch to the fixed schedule?" as is evident from VW forums.
I was driving 62 miles one way on a commute getting about 52 MPG. Here is the link to the information I found interesting during my tenure as a oil burner...

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2340534&postcount=27

1981CBX

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

Two totally different machines, I'm on my third oil set in 12,000 miles. One was because I added a Sirimoto oil cooler at 7,000 miles, so the factory oil went out the window. Just checked it recently due to the gasoline in the oil apocalypse at 12,000 miles and replaced it.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Lol yet I still see a shit ton of new Honda’s being bought. The majority of Honda owners have no clue or don’t care. Remember a lot of Honda owners are older generation looking for a high mpg car. If it shits in ten years? Oh well. They just buy a new one.
Very true. :yes: Particularly Honda civic has been always known as the old&rich people vehicle. These folks just buy a new one and don't give damn. Honda knows that, and that's why the civic is so unreliable. What can we, the poor young people, do? Which car are we supposed to buy?:hmm:
:rolleyes1:

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
Realistically, what percentage of owners keep their cars 10 years plus? This panicking over oil dilution is a bit much. Am I worried? Not really. Honda is confident enough to offer a 6 year unlimited mileage warranty on the engine. And considering I generally keep my cars 6-7 years, I feel good about my choice of buying the 1.5 turbo.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Why is the CVT dreaded? I got a 2019 Hatch 1.5 with the CVT.
It was more of an expression, just that you cant mod it as much as a manual. I actually love the CVT. It works fine and I haven't had any trouble with it for the nearly three years that I've had the car.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Very true. :yes: Particularly Honda civic has been always known as the old&rich people vehicle. These folks just buy a new one and don't give damn. Honda knows that, and that's why the civic is so unreliable. What can we, the poor young people, do? Which car are we supposed to buy?:hmm:
:rolleyes1:
Unreliable? Shirley u must be joking?

darkness975

dream reaper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EX-T
Country flag
I was planning to keep mine for 10 years or so.

I was not aware of this whole oil dilution whatever thing until the recall I got for the AC Control Unit Something or another.

I live in a place that does get cold in winter. But I always run the car for a good while before taking off (whether it is hot or cold out) and I am religious about changing oil between 4 - 5 K. I am not one of those people that changes it whenever and runs it far past when it should be between oil changes.

I walk to work. But I do make short trips on most days after work, and since my parents live an hour away or so I do take longer trips to see them and go other places on weekends now and then.

Is this really something to be losing sleep over? I hope not ...
Sponsored