Extended Crank

invader

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Corolla Hatch SE 6-spd
Country flag
After it sat over a cold night, if you press your Start button twice without holding brake pedal to turn ignition on without cranking, do you hear the fuel pump priming up for a couple seconds?
Sponsored

Spike Spiegel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Aegean Blue Civic Si coupe
Country flag
Just happened to me as well . The car took maybe 5-6 seconds to crank. Odd, first time for me. I've noticed that if I start the car again shortly after its been running, like when I go to drop off a movie, it takes maybe a second to crank.
Happened to me also. Less than 500 on the Odo at the time... twice in 2 weeks. A slower than usual cranking that goes on for 5-6 seconds before the car starts. Every other time I've tried (990 miles now), it started right up. I tested the bat and alternator and both check out fine.

There are a few threads on this, but I don't think it's been figured out.

rmalford

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Si Sedan WOP
Add me to this list. 4500 miles and happened to me yesterday. I might try letting the fuel pump prime before starting.

joep10

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic SI
Country flag
Been lurking on this forum since July, have an si with about 4500 miles on it, stock, running premium gas. Iā€™ve been getting an occasional extended crank on cold starts after it sits overnight or 8-9 hours it seems. Itā€™s done it 4 times so far, I havenā€™t read anyone else having this issue on here but a friend has the same car with about 10k miles and has had a similar issue as well. Anyone else have this problem?
I have had same problem, took it to the dealer , they could not duplicate , they acknowleged , car always has started but something is going on !!! I smell a recall coming, Honda better do something about this or they're going to lose me for a customer !!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP

Spacesloth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Country flag
I have had same problem, took it to the dealer , they could not duplicate , they acknowleged , car always has started but something is going on !!! I smell a recall coming, Honda better do something about this or they're going to lose me for a customer !!!!
I had the issue occasionally as previously mentioned, but after the fuel dilution software update, I havenā€™t had a single issue since.

Lagos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
Just wanted to bump this thread back up as I had this happen about a week ago. The car cranked for a good 15+ seconds before it finally started. Prior to that it happened once before when the car was still brand new.

Has anyone had a complete malfunction yet? It seems like this would be the sign of a bad crank position sensor or maybe an issue with the high pressure fuel pump.

Deleted User 1886347

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine does it when temp goes below freezing, but only for 2-3 seconds, and thatā€™s when itā€™s been sitting 8+ hours or overnight. Otherwise, always starts as normal. Never thought of it being an issue but if it cranks for longer than 4-5 seconds, Iā€™d probably bring it up if it becomes a true nuisance.

REBELXSi

SeƱor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Mine did this for about 3 seconds the other day... Definitely caught me off guard. Wasn't freezing out either, just in the 40s. Definitely not weather related.

Hasn't happened again yet.

Eryan36

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Si sedan
Country flag
Mine does this as well. Itā€™s intermittent/random, I canā€™t identify any consistent factors that cause the extended crank. When it first started I took it to the dealer and they replaced a battery cable. Iā€™m at about 30k on my ā€˜19 and it still does it every so often.
Sponsored