Mckeeversheater

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
I’m sorry if I’m beating a dead horse here but I couldn’t find any new or relevant information for my inquires. I have a 2017 Honda Civic ext cvt. Currently bone stock.
I wish to do the prl cobra intake, hondata/ktuner with whatever basemap to get rid of lag and gain some horses and psi, new exhaust possible ark dts with some modIfications for fitment, maybe a high flow catted down pipe and new front pipe, and a newer inter cooler. I understand that doing these things while expecting longevity of the car and performance is juggling a double edged sword. My concern is blowing the cvt to high heaven. Can anybody help me? Thank you
Sponsored

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
There's info all over the forums regarding this. The keys are to limit torque at lower rpm and never to brake launch a CVT. This is done by reducing boost a bit below 3500 rpm or so.

In your case wanting full bolt ons, you'll need a custom tune. And your tuner can adjust and taper things to limit torque in the parts of the powerband that could damage the CVT.

On the other hand, you could just do a Cobra, intercooler and tune and safely use a base map. In that case you can use boost by gear to lower boost in "1st".

OP
OP

Mckeeversheater

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
There's info all over the forums regarding this. The keys are to limit torque at lower rpm and never to brake launch a CVT. This is done by reducing boost a bit below 3500 rpm or so.

In your case wanting full bolt ons, you'll need a custom tune. And your tuner can adjust and taper things to limit torque in the parts of the powerband that could damage the CVT.

On the other hand, you could just do a Cobra, intercooler and tune and safely use a base map. In that case you can use boost by gear to lower boost in "1st".
Just to clarify and thanks for the reply, you think that having full bolt ons and a basemap tune would provide too much low end torque and blow the pulley in the cvt?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To clarify, I run the community's tuning reliabilty survey and adding full bolt ons without getting it properly dialed in professionally seems to increase the likelihood of failure.

This isn't like an NA engine where you keep adding bolt ons for more power. A turbo is capable of easily destroying engine internals if power is cranked too high.

Personally, I feel strongly that the base tunes are mostly safe. Add full bolt ons and the risk goes up.

If you go full bolt ons go custom. Keep it close to stock with an IC and non-Injen intake and you're fine

As far as the CVT, use BBG and don't brake launch as I posted earlier. Our CVT is fairly robust but you can't abuse it.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Mckeeversheater

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
To clarify, I run the community's tuning reliabilty survey and adding full bolt ons without getting it properly dialed in professionally seems to increase the likelihood of failure.

This isn't like an NA engine where you keep adding bolt ons for more power. A turbo is capable of easily destroying engine internals if power is cranked too high.

Personally, I feel strongly that the base tunes are mostly safe. Add full bolt ons and the risk goes up.

If you go full bolt ons go custom. Keep it close to stock with an IC and non-Injen intake and you're fine

As far as the CVT, use BBG and don't brake launch as I posted earlier. Our CVT is fairly robust but you can't abuse it.
Hey man I really appreciate all your knowledge here a lot so thank you.
so maybe just do a cold air intake probably cobra prl and get an exhaust and hondata or ktuner and use a conservative or modest tune and call it day? If I just keep it simple like that what tune should stay away from?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Any of the base tunes will be fine. I run the TSP Stage 1 canned tune. It's a good CVT tune because D-Rob (the tune designer) kept power soft down low but it screams up top.

The Cobra is a good intake and there are a few others but avoid the Injen stuff because they cause fuel trim issues, which unchecked, causes bigger issues.

As far as choosing your tuning device, I've had both and both are good. I currently run a V2 KTuner.

So yeah, to be clear, I think it's best to not go overboard with the bolt ons if longevity is a concern. Do a base tune, get better tires and you will be shocked how it will transform your car.

OP
OP

Mckeeversheater

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
Any of the base tunes will be fine. I run the TSP Stage 1 canned tune. It's a good CVT tune because D-Rob (the tune designer) kept power soft down low but it screams up top.

The Cobra is a good intake and there are a few others but avoid the Injen stuff because they cause fuel trim issues, which unchecked, causes bigger issues.

As far as choosing your tuning device, I've had both and both are good. I currently run a V2 KTuner.

So yeah, to be clear, I think it's best to not go overboard with the bolt ons if longevity is a concern. Do a base tune, get better tires and you will be shocked how it will transform your car.
You’re so helpful man thanks a lot! One more question how do I get that tsp stage 1 canned tune? Do I have to get it from “D-Rob” and if so how do I go about that?

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Mckeeversheater

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag

kimtyson

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Blue Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I’ve built jeep but never touched a civic so is that tsp stage 1 the tune from drob
Yes, the TSP (Two Step Performance) stage 1 tune is Rob's tune. He is a team member at Two Step Performance. Like Gtman said, get the Ktuner from Two Step and get the stage 1 tune thrown in for free. It would cost $80 if you were to buy your Ktuner somewhere else and added the stage 1 tune on your own. It's a no-brainer to buy the Ktuner from TSP. And they usually offer two day shipping for free.

OP
OP

Mckeeversheater

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EXT
Country flag
Yes, the TSP (Two Step Performance) stage 1 tune is Rob's tune. He is a team member at Two Step Performance. Like Gtman said, get the Ktuner from Two Step and get the stage 1 tune thrown in for free. It would cost $80 if you were to buy your Ktuner somewhere else and added the stage 1 tune on your own. It's a no-brainer to buy the Ktuner from TSP. And they usually offer two day shipping for free.
I just got it is there a thread or video that does a detailed tutorial on how to install the ktuner with the tsp stage 1 that really stands out to the community?
Sponsored