Experience with the EZ Car Lift

EnjoyDriving

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW FK8
Country flag
@fatherpain hey one tricky question about the 1" requirement, does it mean we have to start the lift from 0" to 1" before lifting, or we can just start lifting as long as the lift is left at 1" from last use?

a good scenario is that i use it to rotate my tires every month during winter storage. So each rotation, i would just leave the lift there
when it barely detach from my car, so i assume it would be at 1" height there. Then next time i use it, it will start lifting almost right away (but its already at 1" height though), would that be alright then?
Sponsored

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
As I understand it, the lift needs a 1” gap from the top of the single hockey puck to the bottom of the pinch weld...

So whatever the height is at the bottom of the pinch weld, with that 1” clearance factored in should be the correct height to start lifting.

If your car is already resting on the EZ Carlift at that height, it should be good to go.

That said, the bolting hardware that comes with the lift is not the strongest grade. So I’m going back with B7 grade bolts.

The forces are greatest when the lift is retracted and starting to lift when it has the least amount of leverage. Hoping the combination of stronger bolts and using the proper clearance gap will fare better.

If anyone finds theirs are bent and want to do the same, hit me up and I can probably send replacement bolts provided you cover shipping.

If I’m not mistaken for storage, @Topsportsman916 keeps his car raised on the EZ lift with all wheels unloaded off the ground.

As for what gearbox oil to use, Boytcho says he uses 140 weight w/additives making it closer to a 190/200 weight.

I use the oil Boytcho supplies as it has additives to make it adhere to the gears. :)

@fatherpain hey one tricky question about the 1" requirement, does it mean we have to start the lift from 0" to 1" before lifting, or we can just start lifting as long as the lift is left at 1" from last use?

a good scenario is that i use it to rotate my tires every month during winter storage. So each rotation, i would just leave the lift there
when it barely detach from my car, so i assume it would be at 1" height there. Then next time i use it, it will start lifting almost right away (but its already at 1" height though), would that be alright then?

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 71294FE7-66C7-46FD-A8EE-050D09B0C4BC

The gearbox developed a slow leak here along the bottom edge, not at the driveshaft. There is probably a gasket that failed.

Noticed drips of gear oil on the ground after using the lift. Bear in mind, the car would be on the lift anywhere from a few hours to several days or weeks.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift B521BECB-D6BF-411F-BD21-DC88904B0D9D

I often use the lift outdoors, so dirt and grime would be attracted and stick to the oil, like this.

Was difficult to pinpoint where the leak was originating from, but knew it was from the gearbox.

Boytcho went through both gearboxes and said the non leaking box was low on oil and that lead to excessive wear on the shaft of the leaking gearbox, so he replaced it.

Was a quick turnaround and the gearboxes came back Friday. Hoping to have some time today to reassemble the lift and check the other ends to see if there are any bent
bolts to replace.

Offered to cover any associated costs related to parts, labor and shipping. Boytcho said the total was $33.:)

@fatherpain Hey, whete was your leak st? Was there a lot like oil dripping onto the floor? so i can checl mine on a regular basis, thx a lot, Tom!

Last edited:

OP
OP
fatherpain

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 4E610E82-B3BB-414E-8E65-2325916B6539

Was a super lazy Sunday but finally got off my duff and made an attempt to reassemble the EZ Carlift, since Boytcho (he is one of the best) made it a priority to return my gearboxes so the lift would be operational by this weekend, if needed. (It wasn’t but it was nice to get them back, heh)

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift C4D4801C-81E6-41B8-8BAE-7AF37E5AE019

(2) gearboxes returned along with gear oil and (4) of those copper bushings. Boytcho also included very detailed assembly instructions that made my brain hurt.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 72468C5E-BBF3-49EB-81F5-EC9CC05FD58E

Spent some time overthinking whether I got these pieces in exactly the right spot. Boytcho included instructions calling out measurements... which stumped an OCD guy like me... until I realized I just needed to match the threads, referring back to pictures taken during disassembly. The bolt holes either would line up if I had it right or it wouldn’t, duh ?.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift FD8DD58D-46A0-4065-80B9-6ECDC804C28C

Just as I was ready to slap it together, noticed a 2nd copper bushing had a little damage. No worries, Boytcho had sent me (4)spares.

Honda Civic 10th gen Experience with the EZ Car Lift 28EBD4F1-4C83-4542-AF60-B1A9321860E6
After removing the bushing, noticed this plastic bushing had been oblonged a little. Kinda hard to see in this photo but it is.

Hit pause. May as well make sure everything is back to 100% and I’m not in any hurry. Will ask Boytcho for a couple of these then resume when time permits.

Topsportsman916

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rallye Red Sport Touring & 2019 Rallye Red CTR
Country flag
Tom, glad to see Boytcho is taking care of you. Great to see people stand behind their product. I do leave my R on the lift to keep the suspension unloaded. So far no leaks with mine. I did the recommended maintenance, greased the fittings & checked the oil level in both gear boxes. Both oil levels were fine. I do highly recommend the ZL1 Jack Magpads. they make getting the lift lined up a lot easier. the little extra height is nice as well. They are on the pricey side but they work as advertised. So buy once, cry once.
Sponsored