cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 6MT
Country flag
As some of you know, I made the decision to replace my 2020 Si about a month and a half ago after realizing my driving style and desire for road trip comfort was a little higher than what this car offers/was designed for. A friend of mine that does some very high end detailing work did a paint correction and ceramic spray coating on the car in St Louis and I drove it home over the last couple of days. The car has just under 10k miles and the 27WON CAI, PRL Intercooler w/ Charge Pipes, and the Phearable Tune w/o "God Mode". I thought I would share some thoughts on this car over my last 10 months or so of ownership:

* Power - Like any proper tune on a turbo car, the Phearable Tune really wakes this car up. On the stock tune, I was a pretty non-aggressive Si driver, typically shifting around 3500rpms. With the tune, I found myself shifting much higher and using 75% of the throttle most of the time. It definitely changes the character of the car with a nice surge of torque in the mid-range; 2nd and 3rd gear is really where this car shines. First, because of the small displacement, doesn't feel a lot different than stock. Now I have to say something that will be a minority opinion here - modifying this car past a few bolt ons and mild tune is kinda silly, IN MY OPINION. I guess I look at it from a cost per total value of the car perspective. I know there are more than a few folks here who have every bolt on available, performance motor mounts (I cannot imagine driving this car with that amount of vibration and noise), a high ethanol blend, big turbos, etc but that has never interested me. In fact, If I were to go back in time, I wouldn't have done much of what the mild stuff I did to the car (more on that later).

*Handling - This is really the area where the car shines. Sure you can make the car close to a 300whp car and kill your day to day drivability but out of the box, with the factory LSD and very low curb weight, this car is a very fun handler. I never got a chance to take it to Tail of the Dragon (thanks, COVID) but just replacing the OEM tires with Michelin PS4S summer high performance tires made this car a force to be reckoned with, relatively speaking. The steering, with the upgraded tires, was so direct and there was not an ounce of slop in it. While there is some body roll, it's really only there to let you know how your weight is transferring. The LSD is something you can actually feel working and encourages you to take the next corner set faster. Replacing the OEM tires was, and would be again if I had to start over, is one of the best modifications you can make on this car.

*Ride Quality/NVH - Here is where I will show my age a bit (I'm 41) by saying that the ride isn't necessarily super uncomfortable, but it is a bit too choppy for me on broken pavement. Again, compared to other cars in it's class, it's a well riding car, but I guess I'm looking for more. As far as NVH goes, well, the car had zero rattles for me over the last year and the build quality on it was pretty upstanding, but the engine noise on the highway combined with road noise was really what pushed me over the edge on replacing this car. It's not even because of upgrading tires, the stock tires were noisier still. 80mph on the highway is around 3200 or so rpms and you definitely notice it unless you have the stereo turned up a good bit.

Features - Apple Car Play is nice with Waze being more valuable than most radar detectors. The adaptive cruise control, forward collision braking, and active lane keep/steering are all great. There have been a few times where going around a long sweeper on the highway with the ACC on that it thought the car in the next lane but ahead of me was actually in front of me and slowed the car down dramatically, but other than that, I enjoyed the features and used them almost all of the time. The BIG let down to me was the stock sound system. Wow, it's, well.........terrible. Distorts easily at med/high volume, had harsh treble, flat midrange, and a bloated loose bass. If were to keep the car, I would definitely have to upgrade this. While not as truly terrible as the stock Civic sound systems from the 90s when I grew up, it's definitely nothing Honda should brag about and call "premium".

If I had it to do over again - This is a tough one. And hindsight is obviously 20/20, but if I went back in a time machine and had just bought this car, I think the only mods I would do would be the Michelin PS4S tires and upgrading the terrible sound system. Of course, I would still do what I do to all of my cars - window tinting with Xpel XR Prime+ Ceramic, paint correction and ceramic coating, etc. The tune is a lot of tune, but apparently there is a throttle padding issue with Ktuner and the 2020s that makes the car feel very jerky when coming off the throttle and getting back on it. The intercooler is a necessity when you add more power but you can tell it's an aftermarket unit in the way you have to make it fit and the bracket that was added in the latest version to hold it steady never lined up for me. I actually *had* to get the 27WON CAI since the stock airbox would not bolt all the way down/flush with the bigger charge pipe. The 27WON CAI is probably the ideal design as far as safety against hydro lock but it does increase the sound enough that you hear it on the highway while cruising. Trust me, I totally get that probably 90% of you will love that, I didn't. Looking back, not much of this is the cars fault. It's more on me as I'm probably 15 years outside of the Si's target market. 20 years ago I bought, as my first car straight out of college, a 2001 Honda Prelude 5spd and it was the first car I modified. With the AEM CAI, Mugen header and exhaust, APEXI VTEC controller and the super short gearing of that 5spd, it droned on the highway as it was turning well over 4K rpms at 80mph. The young me LOVED that; I can't imagine driving that car modified that way daily now.

In conclusion, if I were a young person straight out of college looking to buy my first new car, the Si would be an ideal choice if I also needed great fuel economy and tons of room. I'm not that person anymore so my new car - Lexus GS350 F Sport is a much much better fit for me. Just for fun, I'm attaching some pics of my Si freshly detailed and coated a couple of days ago my GS350 after it's first hand wash last weekend. They're both a pearl white and sedans but that's about where the similarities end.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune 853E601D-0545-4D9C-B195-93D09F0E09B1

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune E23A99E8-FBC0-478B-85CA-772CED2C5341

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune 793B5CB5-83BD-499A-B16A-002320719FBD

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune 78E521E9-A1F4-416E-9A62-64F9AF60801D_1_201_a

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune E8FD5B4C-2C83-4BB0-9B2C-2D772BF0BC43

phearable

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Tuner
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.phearable.net
Vehicle(s)
Tuner
Country flag
Ed, congrats on the new vehicle!

Thanks for being a large contributor to the online 10th gen community with all of your comprehensive posts.

FYI: Ktuner added throttle padding adjustment support for 2020 ecus just as you sold yours :-(

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Hello from a fellow old man! :p I'm 38 and just bought a 2020 Si because I wanted a more comfortable ride than my slammed E92 335xi.

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune IMG_20200817_220532-01

That car had a few too many suspension mods that made it crashy on bumps and it was becoming enough of a basket case overall that I decided to part ways.

I thought about getting a Kia Stinger GT for way more money than the Si, but the Si was juuuuuust comfy enough for what I wanted and more fun to row thru the gears. My situation might be a little different from you--I'm working fully from home for the foreseeable future and whenever my company eventually opens the office back up the most I'll have to commute is 3x/week, so I don't need to worry so much about more of a cruiser.

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
Congratulations on the GS350! Lexus automobiles are top notch. My wife drives a 2016 GX460, and we do most of our family trips in it. It eats quite a bit of gas, but that smooth, smooth V8 makes it worth it. I feel you when you talk about wanting to be more comfortable, I owned a few M series BMW's and Porsche's (an expensive hobby), and if you really want uncomfortable you should of rode in my 1988 930 Turbo! I mostly drove it on the weekend or track and daily drove the Bimmer's. It could be exhausting driving that car, especially in Southern Cal traffic. Now I have besides the Si a 2013 Accord Sport V6 that is very quiet and comfortable and I mostly daily to work my 2017 Si, but switch off with the Accord when I want a more quiet comfortable ride.

I agree with you on mods for the Si, I am keeping them minimal. I installed a PRL Intercooler and Acuity short shift kit (turning OK shifting into great shifting), I also just ordered a Ktuner with TSP Stage 1. That's it for me. When the current tires wear out I will replace them with Continental Summer tires. The Si is my daily I bought to make my commute a bit more fun, and get better MPG's at the same time. Also my Accord has reached almost 120K, I'm trying to minimize the mileage being put on it.

Good luck with your new car, hopefully it brings you years of enjoyment

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the comments, all! So my Si went back to stock today and I reflashed the stock tune this evening in preparation of sending the Ktuner out to a forum member that bought it. I know I'm in the minority here but I enjoyed the way the Si drove totally stock versus modded. I do this every time I part a car out and go back to stock so it's really no surprise.

bikejog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Coupe. 2000 Honda Prelude (donated to charity).
Country flag
I know I'm in the minority here but I enjoyed the way the Si drove totally stock versus modded. I do this every time I part a car out and go back to stock so it's really no surprise.
Care to expand on this? You even liked having rev hang?

HondaFanz2018

First Name
HondaFanz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si (Stolen), 2013 Honda Accord Sport V6
Country flag
I'm fully stock right now and rev hang doesn't bother me. I'm probably going to leave it enabled

Redrocket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Si
Country flag
Excellent writeup!
I came into the Si from a Focus ST with every conceivable bolt on there is, and a tune. It was fun to drive when I wanted a fun drive or went to the track, but it was noisy and rattley and stiff all the time, which makes for a crappy commute/daily driver. I'm 36, and very much falling into the same bucket as you - that kind of "I'm too old for this" when it comes to tons of mods.

(I will say that the Recaros on my ST were the most comfortable seats I've ever been in, and lordy do I miss them...)

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
That GS is looking pretty sweet.

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
On a whim, we traded my Si and her ‘17 Jetta for a new 2020 Acura ILX so we are still in the Honda-Acura family. We got some money back on the deal and are back down to two cars. I was really starting to get nervous selling my Si, even in perfect cosmetic and mechanical condition, with the accident on its Carfax and summer tires going into the cooler months. She loves the car so all is good in our household here now!

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune CEACE13F-39D6-4BB5-891D-C78186FE938B

Honda Civic 10th gen Exit Interview:  '20 Civic Si w/ bolt ons and Phearable Tune 3D6E999A-695C-4BFD-BA07-31372D953264

Last edited:

Ron R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Thank you for the write up. We are in the same age group and love the Si as it is from the factory:)

She is my daily drive and think I'm done with the performance mods. The Si has awesome ride quality from the factory. Only suspension mod was the Cusco Strut Tower Bar. For me nothing else is required for the suspension.

The Si was an early midlife crisis car and plan to keep her for a long time.

Hope your enjoying your GS350 F-Sport and congratulations on thr ILX!

OP
OP
cammyfive

cammyfive

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Prior to the Ktuner update that I just read about here, I had a weird issue in my 2020 Si with rev-hang disabled (cruise control main off) - in the lower gears, when getting off the throttle and then back on it, the first inch or more of pedal travel was dead then it quite abruptly "popped" into accelerating. In essence, it was super jerky. From that point on I left rev-hang enabled as driving in traffic the car would buck and jerk with it off - very annoying.

As I've tried to relay in my comments, in hindsight, the Si is left either totally stock power wise or only very mildly modded.....IN MY OPINION. For the majority of owners here this is a great platform to mod and increase the power quite a bit; my driving style and enjoyment of the car didn't line up with that. I'm sure that has to do with my age, driving style, preference in cars, etc.

I would even go out on a limb that some (many?) of the people decrying rev-hang are jumping on the anti-rev hang bandwagon that they heard someone complain about on YouTube. The more serious issue with this car other than rev-hang is what affects many modern small displacement turbos - a ridiculous amount of throttle lag when trying to blip the throttle to rev match or heel-toe downshift. Rev-hang doesn't really matter when you try to blip the throttle quickly to bring the revs up while quickly downshifting and the lag from the input of your foot to the revs moving up any at all is well over a full *one-one thousand-one* second.
Sponsored