Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
I'm about to purchase a aftermarket exhaust. I have been watching a lot of YouTube videos on different exhaust for our Type R. A lot wraps their downpipe while others doesn't. I am not planning on not tracking the car so I was wondering if it is really necessary to do it. Thanks.
Sponsored

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
It’s not necessary no I have my downpipe and front pipe heat wrapped but only because I got them that way. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
I don't suggest wrapping, honestly when it gets moisture in there over and over and heats up it rusts and disinigrates after a few years anyway. Skip it imo 100%

Dennietho

First Name
Dennie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Grey Pearl FK8
Country flag
Get it ceramic coated instead. The reason is that the downpipe is right under the turbo inlet pipe and could heat up the pipe.

OrchidFc3

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1996 ITR, 1992 SI
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't suggest wrapping, honestly when it gets moisture in there over and over and heats up it rusts and disinigrates after a few years anyway. Skip it imo 100%
This^^^^

OP
OP
Warpspeed

Warpspeed

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Evo8, EF Civic Si, and 2020 CW Civic Type R
Country flag
Get it ceramic coated instead. The reason is that the downpipe is right under the turbo inlet pipe and could heat up the pipe.
I was also planning on that but the shop from my house is a couple of hours away and would cost @$150. I didn't do it on my Evo 8 and it's still look fine. Decisions.......decisions.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I have some left over exhaust wrap I used on my 4 wheeler.
Was seeing if there would be any benefit to wrapping anything on the civic...
What I'm seeing is it would be useless.

Any input from anyone?

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
I have some left over exhaust wrap I used on my 4 wheeler.
Was seeing if there would be any benefit to wrapping anything on the civic...
What I'm seeing is it would be useless.

Any input from anyone?
I'm curious as well. From what I've read from other threads here's my take-away so far; It depends.

Heat wrap will slow down heat transfer. This is good until you reach heat soak, then it means you will be 'soaked' for longer as cooling will be slower.

All that matters is because of your use case. Is it a daily and you are worried about stop and go traffic? Or autocross? Or drag racings? or tracking? If tracking, are you looking at hot lap times or consistent laps over a full session?

My understanding, though I'm only 52% confident on this, is that for my use case, consistent lap times over a full track session, is that I should be more worried about the heat soak condition, and therefore not as concerned about the downpipe heating the turbo inlet, and more concerned about overall engine cooling from a heat soaked condition. Therefore no wrap or insulation of any kind.

But, that's my use case and I'm barely more confident my logic is right than if I take a wild guess.

nickname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Civic Touring
Country flag
I'm curious as well. From what I've read from other threads here's my take-away so far; It depends.

Heat wrap will slow down heat transfer. This is good until you reach heat soak, then it means you will be 'soaked' for longer as cooling will be slower.

All that matters is because of your use case. Is it a daily and you are worried about stop and go traffic? Or autocross? Or drag racings? or tracking? If tracking, are you looking at hot lap times or consistent laps over a full session?

My understanding, though I'm only 52% confident on this, is that for my use case, consistent lap times over a full track session, is that I should be more worried about the heat soak condition, and therefore not as concerned about the downpipe heating the turbo inlet, and more concerned about overall engine cooling from a heat soaked condition. Therefore no wrap or insulation of any kind.

But, that's my use case and I'm barely more confident my logic is right than if I take a wild guess.
It's my daily, don't do any track racing. I only do pulls on the highways (in Mexico, of course).

Like, I get It's an eco car with a 1.5l and a small turbo (touring, non Si) but I still like to have fun and mess with other cars.

Just seeing if heat wrapping anything would improve performance in any manner. I haven't done anything besides regular oil changes (amsoil), spark plugs, and an injector cleaner once.

Thinking of putting a different inner cooler and engine intake on (maybe exhaust). Then want to get Hondata - but only after a better inner cooler and intake.

haltamer

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 (UK / RHD!)
Country flag
I'd say wrap / cerakote / blanket it; Reduces radiant heat to the rest of the system (Airbox, rad hoses inlet pipe all being very close to the downpipe) and keeps it contained in the downpipe:- Usually looks nice too.

Madmage makes some good points, but usually I'd say a heatsoaked downpipe isn't too bad of a problem to have as there's a similar argument to that of turbo blankets - Keep the heat in to maintain exhaust gas velocity etc; The touch of extra heat in the downpipe won't do any harm to it and if anything would probably benefit your usecase by increasing catalyst warmup speed.

caluy

First Name
caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic type R
Country flag
hi guys need advice. i currently have hks stainless steel catless down pipe and front pipe installed with blitz exhaust. im planning to purchase ptp turbo blanket and downpipe blanket to lower temps down on the engine bay since turbo and dp is so exposed. I read through the forums that having the blankets installed will transfer heat to the front pipe and then will cause heat soak on the oil pan.

one of the solutions i read is to wrap the front pipe with exhaust wrap. but i hear mix opinion on this with regards to corrosion. will thermal barrier installed on the oil pan be enough to avoid heat soak? i dont do track day. i occasionally drive hard. I live and a tropical country so its very humid and hot here.

any tips and suggestion is appreciated.
Sponsored