Kronic77

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
So I have been thinking about upgrading my exhaust system. Sure it would be great to just replace the whole thing at once, but I really can't afford to do that now. So which part should I start with first? Down pipe, front pipe or the exhaust itself? What will give me the most bang for my buck?
Sponsored

mdm24

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R
Country flag
So I have been thinking about upgrading my exhaust system. Sure it would be great to just replace the whole thing at once, but I really can't afford to do that now. So which part should I start with first? Down pipe, front pipe or the exhaust itself? What will give me the most bang for my buck?
The best bang for the buck mod is a resonator or muffler delete because they are so cheap to do and add some good sound.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
What is your goal?

Looks
Sound
Power
Weight savings
Throttle response

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello Kronic77,

I’m new to the car mod scene.. So please take my suggestions with a grain of salt...

My first performance mod was an exhaust which was an improvement, but alone, didn’t achieve the sound I was after, so added an intake. These (2) items complement each other well and I am very happy with this combo.

There are lots of exhausts and intakes to choose from, so suggest researching as much as you can, listening to sound clips and meeting fellow CTR owners, if you are fortunate to have some in your area. Then you can check out other cars in person and see what setups you like.

I’m still on the stock downpipe and frontpipe. Hesitant to replace these until I add Hondata...or risk CELs.

Would this be your first performance mod? Do you already have Hondata or Ktuner?

OP
OP
Kronic77

Kronic77

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Hello Kronic77,

I’m new to the car mod scene.. So please take my suggestions with a grain of salt...

My first performance mod was an exhaust which was an improvement, but alone, didn’t achieve the sound I was after, so added an intake. These (2) items complement each other well and I am very happy with this combo.

There are lots of exhausts and intakes to choose from, so suggest researching as much as you can, listening to sound clips and meeting fellow CTR owners, if you are fortunate to have some in your area. Then you can check out other cars in person and see what setups you like.

I’m still on the stock downpipe and frontpipe. Hesitant to replace these until I add Hondata...or risk CELs.

Would this be your first performance mod? Do you already have Hondata or Ktuner?
I have already installed the 27won cold air intake. I don't have Hondata or Ktuner yet, but definitely on the list of future mods.

OP
OP
Kronic77

Kronic77

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What is your goal?

Looks
Sound
Power
Weight savings
Throttle response
Overall I would say my goal is to increase hp, as well as improving the sound and throttle response.

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Si 4DR FlashPro +9psi (3k-14k) Ktuner TSP Stage 1(14k-30k+) '17 Traverse LT AWD
Country flag
Overall I would say my goal is to increase hp, as well as improving the sound and throttle response.
Ktuner v 1.2 and a catless downpipe.

You could try just a catted downpipe, but there is more than a slight chance it will still throw a code for cat efficiency. The catless downpipe will cost less, weight less, and flow better. This will in turn improve the sound. If you ever decide to swap back to stock the downpipe is easy to sell used both from the shipping and finding a buyer. On a related note, try to buy the ktuner and downpipe used if you can. Just realize with the downpipe you will need to buy a new set of gaskets.

xGreyWorm

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hey not flaming you or anything and we will help you as much as possible but you might get better or more helpful info from the 10th gen civic forum. You are on the Type R specific forum right now. Good luck with mods though.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
For power alone, hondata would be your best bet. Then a downpipe and intercooler. Not sure how well you'd be able to utilize a bigger downpipe if you still have the small stock front pipe and exhaust however, maybe someone could chime in. I mean I can't really say anything I installed my intake, downpipe, intercooler, and exhaust all before I got hondata. The sound upgrade was excellent but the parts alone don't give you anymore power without tuning. Not sure if it's the same with that car having a Honda ECU, but the bosche ECU in the fk8 is stingey with giving you bolt on power if it's not tuned.

I'm not entirely sure what's available exhaust wise for the hatchback but there are quite a few that come with a front pipe as well for the type r so I imagine it would be the same for your platform.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Just realize with the downpipe you will need to buy a new set of gaskets.
Gaskets that go between the downpipe and turbo? Or for the frontpipe. My PRL downpipe came with a gasket for the front pipe and I just reused the gaskets from the turbo without any issues

Micah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Gaskets that go between the downpipe and turbo? Or for the frontpipe. My PRL downpipe came with a gasket for the front pipe and I just reused the gaskets from the turbo without any issues
I'd never reuse gaskets - even if they look to be ok. They don't cost much, and a new gasket is "known good" instead of "it looked ok". I haven't done dp or fp on my civic, frankly doubt I ever will. But I've done them on WRX and EVOX and in both cases the exhaust components came with the gaskets needed and then I purchased the OEM donut style gasket for the turbo.

Night Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Type R
Country flag
Hypothetically speaking, if you’re ONLY looking for an exhaust system to make noise & with a surprise benefit in terms of weight reduction with few ponies being completely stock ECU wise: look no further, Greddy SP. Unbeatable, less than $700 & plug & play.

jinderC

Hypothetically speaking, if you’re ONLY looking for an exhaust system to make noise & with a surprise benefit in terms of weight reduction with few ponies being completely stock ECU wise: look no further, Greddy SP. Unbeatable, less than $700 & plug & play.

Too bad they don’t have a tri-tip option
Sponsored