Exhaust odor with hard acceleration.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
I think it's the same issue but to a much lesser extent, therefore not a recallable issue. It does smell like sulphur to me.
Sponsored

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It is just back up to my post. If you read it you would see it's relevant to what I contributed to this thread. Also it's a conversation piece.
That's like saying that D16 motors back in 1993 were prone to oil pan leaks, so we should keep a close eye on the oil pan on our 2016 Civic.

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
And it's nothing like it. The OP already agreed with my posting and says his issue is very similar to that of the accord.
The OP has not responded since your post.

All I'm saying is that pulling up a 13 year old TSB for a totally different vehicle is ridiculous.

CEXT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EX Turbo
Country flag
It says unsealed body seams are letting a sulfur smell into the cabin. Do new cars not have body seams anymore? It sounds probable to me.

It is definitely a sulfur smell, but it's hard to pinpoint how it gets into the cabin.

Eddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R 2014 Pilot 08 Mugen Si
Country flag
If it smells like rotten eggs, it is 100% the catalytic converter. It looks like those cats either have a flaw in there design or they do not like the hard acceleration. This happens to many other cars while climbing hills and under hard throttle. You can call Honda and see what they say. We had an MDX that would do this while under the conditions I mentioned. Acura said there are no codes and the cat is fine.

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
I've also noticed this in my 2016 ex-t. Have about 900 miles on it and under heavy acceleration there is definitely an "exhaust-like" smell that enters the cabin.

I saw some people saying it might just be residue left over from the manufacturing process that will go away with time. Definitely noticeable though on a regular basis.

indexcow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX (Crystal Black)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I've also noticed this in my 2016 ex-t. Have about 900 miles on it and under heavy acceleration there is definitely an "exhaust-like" smell that enters the cabin.

I saw some people saying it might just be residue left over from the manufacturing process that will go away with time. Definitely noticeable though on a regular basis.
@l0p3s22 definitely doesn't go away, I have the same issue on my 2013 work civic as I do my personal 2016 ex.

ravidavi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic EX-T Manual Sedan
Country flag
I know I'm LTTG here, but I have this exact same issue with my 2017 4dr Manual EX-T. I bought it back in Nov 2016, and started noticing the "rotten-egg" smell a few months ago when the weather warmed up. It only happens if I accelerate hard enough for the turbo to kick in, and the more I use the turbo during a drive the worse the smell gets. I mostly notice the smell after I park and get out of the car, especially in an enclosed space like a garage. I only noticed the smell in-cabin once (car is still new and pretty tightly sealed I guess), but it's obvious on the outside almost every time.

I'll repost if the dealer has anything useful to say, and would appreciate others chiming in if they've also had this issue.

Update: A mechanic at my local Honda dealer (Ourisman Honda of Laurel, MD) said that he has heard of this with the turbo Civics, and that it seems to be associated with low-mileage vehicles (mine is under 5k miles right now). He attributed it to condensation in the exhaust pipe, and insisted that it would go away with time. But I'm skeptical since it happens even during long drives, but I'll give it until 10k miles and see how things go.

Last edited:

Joshluvsla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Sports Touring Hatchback
I have been experiencing the same smell on my 2017 Honda Sports hatchback CVT I attributed to oil burning as the smell is familiar on my 2010 Acura TL all wheel drive those 3.7 liter engines are notorious oil burners. Hope that's not the case here. I have approx 800 miles on the civic

l0p3s22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta GLI Autobahn
Country flag
I'm currently at 7600 miles and have not noticed the smell in awhile. When I originally replied to this thread back in November I was only at 900 miles. I occasionally will accelerate hard from a stop light while in sport mode up to 50 mph and I don't notice the smell anymore. When I did this at lower milage I received the exhaust smell.

Fanoflive

First Name
Jeremiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Coupe EXT 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I actually just posted about this same issue. I have 14000 miles on my car and only noticed this "exhaust smell" after installing an AF Dynamics CAI. It only happens after hard acceleration, like downshifting to 5th at 70 mph and punching it to pass a car on the interstate.
Sponsored