Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Coupe, 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So, over the weekend I installed a downpipe and frontpipe.

Now, at certain RPM's a loud metallic vibration noise resonates on the backside of my exhaust, like a drone, but it sounds like metal rattling / vibrating.
Is this the factory muffler can or the heat shield directly above it vibrating? It's driving me crazy, has anybody experienced anything like this? I'm considering removing my exhaust heat shield under the car by the trunk to see if it remedies the sound.
Sponsored

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
So, over the weekend I installed a downpipe and frontpipe.

Now, at certain RPM's a loud metallic vibration noise resonates on the backside of my exhaust, like a drone, but it sounds like metal rattling / vibrating.
Is this the factory muffler can or the heat shield directly above it vibrating? It's driving me crazy, has anybody experienced anything like this? I'm considering removing my exhaust heat shield under the car by the trunk to see if it remedies the sound.
No, don't remove the heat shield. You are definitely going to get more sound, with a DP. Just to clarify, you kept the factory exhaust? You didn't modify it in anyway like remove the resonator? Also is this Catless?

OP
OP
swah_fk7

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, don't remove the heat shield. You are definitely going to get more sound, with a DP. Just to clarify, you kept the factory exhaust? You didn't modify it in anyway like remove the resonator? Also is this Catless?
It is a Catless Downpipe. Stock exhaust, car has 4600 miles.
It sounds like the vibration of the exhaust is causing the heat shield or the metal in the actual exhaust (The muffler pans) to resonate / vibrate.

EDIT; Seen similar setups, this sounds like an isolated issue which only I am experiencing. I wanted to experiment by taking off that rear trunk heat shield and see if that's what's causing the vibration. It's a metallic rattling sound. similar to how a brass instrument makes sound. The resonance of the metal is causing it to make a noise when under load (accelerating) and passing certain RPM's will make it drone for a second, and then quiet down as soon as the RPM passes the rpm the sound appears at.

amirza786

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Polestar 2, 2010 Lexus IS 350 Sport
Country flag
It is a Catless Downpipe. Stock exhaust, car has 4600 miles.
It sounds like the vibration of the exhaust is causing the heat shield or the metal in the actual exhaust (The muffler pans) to resonate / vibrate.

EDIT; Seen similar setups, this sounds like an isolated issue which only I am experiencing. I wanted to experiment by taking off that rear trunk heat shield and see if that's what's causing the vibration. It's a metallic rattling sound. similar to how a brass instrument makes sound. The resonance of the metal is causing it to make a noise when under load (accelerating) and passing certain RPM's will make it drone for a second, and then quiet down as soon as the RPM passes the rpm the sound appears at.
It could be something is loose, I assume you checked that all the bolts are tight and the hangers are fine. When I had my performance exhaust installed, it had to be re-tightened after a couple hundred miles. Also Catless you are going to have even more noise, but if it's a vibration sound, the pipe may be shaking (vibrating) because its loose somewhere. Check that the DP and FP are tight, the vibrations may be coming from the newly installed pipes

OP
OP
swah_fk7

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It could be something is loose, I assume you checked that all the bolts are tight and the hangers are fine. When I had my performance exhaust installed, it had to be re-tightened after a couple hundred miles. Also Catless you are going to have even more noise, but if it's a vibration sound, the pipe may be shaking (vibrating) because its loose somewhere. Check that the DP and FP are tight, the vibrations may be coming from the newly installed pipes
It's not vibrating from under the car. The catless downpipe is secure. It's the sudden free-up of exhaust thats causing something metal by the trunk to rattle.

MeanGreenSi

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si, 2018 Honda Accord Sport
Country flag
I read that a catless down pipe and factory exhaust causes a wierd noise because the design of the tip. Not sure if this is true as I have a Catted down pipe

OP
OP
swah_fk7

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I read that a catless down pipe and factory exhaust causes a wierd noise because the design of the tip. Not sure if this is true as I have a Catted down pipe
I removed both rear heat shields, remedied the problem a bit. It only resonates at a higher 4-5000 RPM now for an instant.
I'm going to see if changing tip fixes the issue. Or go full-retard and buy a catback e.e

teders

First Name
Ted Dorosheff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I removed both rear heat shields, remedied the problem a bit. It only resonates at a higher 4-5000 RPM now for an instant.
I'm going to see if changing tip fixes the issue. Or go full-retard and buy a catback e.e
Hey did you ever get this figured out? I think i'm having the same problem based on the way you described it. On my car i hear it if i reallly slowly let the RPMs build through the 4k-5k range. Sounds like a high pitch metallic virbration/clattering coming from the rear of the car.

I've got a catted PRL downpipe, prl front pipe and oem catback with all the parts still intact.

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
The easiest way to figure this out is to have someone looking at it while you rev the engine.

OP
OP
swah_fk7

swah_fk7

Regamaster King
First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hey did you ever get this figured out? I think i'm having the same problem based on the way you described it. On my car i hear it if i reallly slowly let the RPMs build through the 4k-5k range. Sounds like a high pitch metallic virbration/clattering coming from the rear of the car.

I've got a catted PRL downpipe, prl front pipe and oem catback with all the parts still intact.
Its the factory exhaust bro. Shit sucks.

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
I just installed a catless 3" downpipe and frontpipe and I hear ? a rattle sound in neutral when I bring the rpms to about 1500 in neutral and let it decel kind of like a loose nut or bolt but when I installed it I double checked all the bolts and they were on there tight AF. Some told me it sounds like my waste gate chattering or something idk. You can hear it throughout the entire exhaust. It is only on deceleration once the rpms come down to about 1200 into idle

Marlo42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 19 Sedan
Country flag
I just installed a catless 3" downpipe and frontpipe and I hear ? a rattle sound in neutral when I bring the rpms to about 1500 in neutral and let it decel kind of like a loose nut or bolt but when I installed it I double checked all the bolts and they were on there tight AF. Some told me it sounds like my waste gate chattering or something idk. You can hear it throughout the entire exhaust. It is only on deceleration once the rpms come down to about 1200 into idle
I think this describes exactly what is happening to me....when you give it gas and let off throttle is sounds like a fidget spinner or something. I’m going to be inspecting the dp/fp area and see if there is any contact with a heat shield. I only did a dp install so I didn’t do much to the front pipe.

if you come up with any ideas let me know.

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
I think this describes exactly what is happening to me....when you give it gas and let off throttle is sounds like a fidget spinner or something. I’m going to be inspecting the dp/fp area and see if there is any contact with a heat shield. I only did a dp install so I didn’t do much to the front pipe.

if you come up with any ideas let me know.
Will do, im putting her under the knife this afternoon.

booost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I had the same thing happening for a while, this is what I did to remedy it.

- Wrap the down-pipe and front-pipe in DEI (don't forget to get the stainless steel ties with it)
- For me, I was able to remove the stock exhaust side gasket (exhaust side, where front-pipe meets the exhuast)... My front pipe was made to work without that gasket since it comes with its own. The stock gasket in my case was redundant and rattling around causing the noises.

Jbegs2020

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 civic si sedan
Country flag
I had the same thing happening for a while, this is what I did to remedy it.

- Wrap the down-pipe and front-pipe in DEI (don't forget to get the stainless steel ties with it)
- For me, I was able to remove the stock exhaust side gasket (exhaust side, where front-pipe meets the exhuast)... My front pipe was made to work without that gasket since it comes with its own. The stock gasket in my case was redundant and rattling around causing the noises.
Ok i look into that. My PLM downpipe and frontpipe came with all new gaskets including the turbo to downpipe gasket. Not sure if I was supposed to use the thin steel existing oem gasket or not but I didn't ? lol
Sponsored