First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 sr5 access cab, 98 civic hx ej7, 2003 KLX400s
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just throwing out another option... just reuse the stock piping and change out the muffler section. Don't know if thats possible in Cali cause of the laws, but here in OH pretty easy to find a shop to do the work. Vibrant makes a nice muffler and resonator combo that sounds really good and deep IMO... you can find clips on youtube, just search for "vibrant civic si". You can even keep the stock resonator and have 2 resonators and a muffler if you want to keep it as quiet as possible but still more than stock.

This is also one of the cheapest options and what I did to my SI. The muffler and resonator are about $200 and then just pay labor to weld everything in place. I also reused the stock HDMI tip so theres the "blend in" factor too.
I actually haven’t heard of this before hmmm off to the YouTube to find out!
Sponsored

86salmon

It's Hedley, Hedley Lamarr!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic si sedan, 2001 Nissan Frontier
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I already have a downpipe, I've been looking at Type R exhaust. It's super quiet with the stock dp but has a nice tone with catted dp and sounds great with catless dp

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just throwing out another option... just reuse the stock piping and change out the muffler section. Don't know if thats possible in Cali cause of the laws, but here in OH pretty easy to find a shop to do the work. Vibrant makes a nice muffler and resonator combo that sounds really good and deep IMO... you can find clips on youtube, just search for "vibrant civic si". You can even keep the stock resonator and have 2 resonators and a muffler if you want to keep it as quiet as possible but still more than stock.

This is also one of the cheapest options and what I did to my SI. The muffler and resonator are about $200 and then just pay labor to weld everything in place. I also reused the stock HDMI tip so theres the "blend in" factor too.
Hmm didn’t sound bad but sounded more stock just slightly deeper but not a bad option for someone

2020MSMcivicSI

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Indefinitely would do this if I could. I’ve seen a bunch of people remove the mufflers and do the duel resonators. Great tone. I just need the option of going back to stock if I get pulled over.
I highly doubt you would ever get pulled over for the Vibrant combo. While I don't have any measurements to back this up, I would bet Vibrant muffler + resonator combo is quieter than any of the systems you listed. And if you needed to go back to stock, it would just be another trip to the exhaust shop to put everything back. I kept the stock exhaust sections that were cut out in case I ever want to go back to stock.

I really didnt like the stock system after I swapped the downpipe and frontpipe, which is why I went with Vibrant. But honestly, if you're not going to change out the downpipe, then you're most likely good with any of the systems you are looking at.

MGZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si Coupe, Previously 2016 EX-L (50k miles)
Country flag
I purchased an ark exhaust over their Black Friday sale. First few days it was installed I thought “fuck, that’s loud” but then it kinda breaks in and calms down. Love the tone now. Super deep at low rpm, but wails as it goes up the tac. Plenty of burbles and crackles. I think it’s less nasally than the borla, and has a more unique tone than the greddy sp from the few I’ve seen on the street.

It does have a little bit of drone in the 3k rpm band but below 3 you can barely hear it off throttle. I’m in the Bay Area and haven’t had any issues (?) with the sound but I’m running the stock dp. It was either this or AWE for me (which I still haven’t heard in person), I think either is a good choice!

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With an aftermarket catted DP mated to the AWE Touring Catback on our Blue Si, I've measured my Sis's cabin decibel level at 76DB while traveling at 75mph / 120kmh. It's personally right at the limit where I would be comfortable in a daily driver. Note: the addition of any downpipe plays a huge role in the decibel level - the number would be below 70DB if I had the factory downpipe, or slightly more if it was a Catless DP.

My general recommendation for a daily driver is to always go Touring if you have added an aftermarket Downpipe. To really drive the point home about how much difference adding the DP makes to the Si, the AWE Track Exhaust is quieter with a stock downpipe than the Touring system with an aftermarket DP. Hope that helps :)
Have you tried the MAPerformance Stealth exhaust? How does its volume level compare to the AWE Touring exhaust?

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
the invidia from what ive been told is a nice subtle exhaust but if you get a down pipe it gets stupid loud and sounds bad (to me that is)

ive been wanting exhaust for my coupe as well and ive been between awe and invidia and borla. awe i would like for if i get a downpipe down the line and want to get more power. while invidia i would get if i dont plan to get a downpipe and plan to keep it more subtle and borla to bring out my inner ricer lmao

borla has a more race car sound? to me at least borla is loud and obnoxious but fun in its own right it just depends do you wish to go to the rice fields? if so ill welcome you im already there with my truck ? (this coming from someone that has the borla s type muffler and axle dump on a truck lol)
I had the Invidia on my Blue Si mated to the 27won Catted DP and FP combo, it sounded good from the outside but inside it was a lot of bass and not much excitement going through tunnels. I also drove it on a Coupe with a PRL Catted DP and FP combo, which nearly blew my eardrums out from the heavy bass.

Have you tried the MAPerformance Stealth exhaust? How does its volume level compare to the AWE Touring exhaust?
I have tried MAP Street, and MAP Race. Street is closer to AWE Touring, and Race is closer to AWE Track in terms of decibel level. MAP Stealth from videos reminds of the Magnaflow I had on my Si for a brief period in Summer 2019. However there is a distinct tone change on the AWE going past 3.5k RPM at heavy throttle, which isn't present on the MAP systems as they sound linear going all the way up to redline.

All is calm while cruising especially in the AWE Touring, and then you put your foot down it has a wild howl! To me it's the closest to a fine-tuned valved exhaust for the Si :)

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I had the Invidia on my Blue Si mated to the 27won Catted DP and FP combo, it sounded good from the outside but inside it was a lot of bass and not much excitement going through tunnels. I also drove it on a Coupe with a PRL Catted DP and FP combo, which nearly blew my eardrums out from the heavy bass.

I have tried MAP Street, and MAP Race. Street is closer to AWE Touring, and Race is closer to AWE Track in terms of decibel level. MAP Stealth from videos reminds of the Magnaflow I had on my Si for a brief period in Summer 2019. However there is a distinct tone change on the AWE going past 3.5k RPM at heavy throttle, which isn't present on the MAP systems as they sound linear going all the way up to redline.

All is calm while cruising especially in the AWE Touring, and then you put your foot down it has a wild howl! To me it's the closest to a fine-tuned valved exhaust for the Si :)
ive heard that about the invida that its best if you plan to leave the stock dp and just want a little bit of sound

me personally ill prob go awe track and be that ricer civic owner lol

olesaintnik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Thanks for the response and the advice! The reason I ask is because I drive an Si Coupe with full bolt ons with catted down pipe and MAPerformance Street exhaust. The droning between 3k-4K rpms and general noise level is unbearable. I recently ordered the MAPerformance Stealth muffler/tips (without the rest of the piping) hoping that will fix the problem. But now I’m wondering if I should cancel the order and go with the AWE touring

Unity Performance

Elite Sponsor
First Name
Humza
Threads
Reaction score
Website
unity-performance.com
Vehicle(s)
Current Fleet: 18 Si, 20 FK8, 23 FL5
Country flag
Thanks for the response and the advice! The reason I ask is because I drive an Si Coupe with full bolt ons with catted down pipe and MAPerformance Street exhaust. The droning between 3k-4K rpms and general noise level is unbearable. I recently ordered the MAPerformance Stealth muffler/tips (without the rest of the piping) hoping that will fix the problem. But now I’m wondering if I should cancel the order and go with the AWE touring
I mentioned in an earlier post that I measured my 27won Catted DP + AWE Touring at 76DB while driving around 75mph. 78+ is is where it gets too loud for me personally. You can download a Sound Meter app on your smartphone, it'll give you a decent reading. Compare my number to what you get, hopefully that will allow you to make a decision based on an objective finding, less so our personal perceptions and tolerances because those always vary person to person :)

Edit: I can say is that my setup is not unbearable, like you are saying yours is. I'm more conscious of this now as I got married in the summer, and the wife (she's not a car person) acknowledges it's a loud car but we can still have conversations easily and she doesn't get a headache. On our wedding day I let her know that I don't want to miss opportunities to have fun in a tunnel or going through an underpass, and she's been cool with that ?

Humza

Last edited:

OP
OP
BWSI

BWSI

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic si
Country flag
Nooooo! I just found this on the forum ? too loud for SoCal
I mentioned in an earlier post that I measured my 27won Catted DP + AWE Touring at 76DB while driving around 75mph. 78+ is is where it gets too loud for me personally. You can download a Sound Meter app on your smartphone, it'll give you a decent reading. Compare my number to what you get, hopefully that will allow you to make a decision based on an objective finding, less so our personal perceptions and tolerances because those always vary person to person :)

Edit: I can say is that my setup is not unbearable, like you are saying yours is. I'm more conscious of this now as I got married in the summer, and the wife (she's not a car person) acknowledges it's a loud car but we can still have conversations easily and she doesn't get a headache. On our wedding day I let her know that I don't want to miss opportunities to have fun in a tunnel or going through an underpass, and she's been cool with that ?

Humza
Awesome information all over this thread! Thank you! AWE sounds perfect but through more research I found someone quoting the decibel level on the AWE touring. Unfortunately 117 is way too high for where I live, although the exhaust sounds amazing ?

Honda Civic 10th gen Exhaust advice 72F80357-DBFA-4591-A02F-BD9296E35EAA

Sara/AWE

Elite Sponsor
First Name
AWE
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.awe-tuning.com
Vehicle(s)
CTR
Country flag
Nooooo! I just found this on the forum ? too loud for SoCal

Awesome information all over this thread! Thank you! AWE sounds perfect but through more research I found someone quoting the decibel level on the AWE touring. Unfortunately 117 is way too high for where I live, although the exhaust sounds amazing ?

72F80357-DBFA-4591-A02F-BD9296E35EAA.jpeg
This information is from the SAE standard testing which is a 45 degree angle from the tips and only 19" away. This does not correlate to drive-by sound that might be heard under normal operation so it needs to be taken with a grain of E85.

As a dad of 2 and having lived in California for 18 years (moving to PA prior to this new noise ordinance), and having driven these cars, I don't find them to be what I would think of as "117db". My buck 'o five.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
I was just going to ask where the heck in CA you were living to where you're worried about the cops... but then I seen you live in OC ? Is your car already that "noticeable" compared to all the V8s that go running around there?

bugboy32337

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe (MSM)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Can you give me addition info on your experience with the Magnaflow ? I'm interested in the Magnaflow, due to the availability of dual, black round tips (edit: I meant Borla).

Last edited:

rhino

First Name
jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Since I already have a downpipe, I've been looking at Type R exhaust. It's super quiet with the stock dp but has a nice tone with catted dp and sounds great with catless dp
ive never heard that before i guess if you get it done post a video of it
Sponsored